PDA

View Full Version : "You Honkies Made My Butt Bigger !"

megimoo
05-26-2009, 10:39 PM
Racism linked to weight gain, Boston researchers say

Racism linked to weight gain, Boston researchers say By Elizabeth Cooney May 26, 2009 06:53 PM Perceptions of racism -- from being treated with suspicion in a store to unfairness in employment or housing -- can heighten stress levels and affect health, research has shown. A new study from Boston University links these smoldering signs of racism to weight gain in black women, suggesting a possible explanation for the their higher obesity rates compared to white women.

http://www.boston.com/news/health/blog/2009/05/experience_of_r.html

7 comments so far...

Couldn't an underlying insecurity lead to both weight gain and higher sensitivity to apparent slights? How is the causality demonstrated here?

Posted by pg May 26, 09 07:24 PMObviously racism hasn't gone away - your study proves it - you are a racist!

Posted by Don Johnson May 26, 09 07:58 PMCome on. Of all the stories I've read today this has got to be the most outrageous. Honestly, some people are going to try and use every trick in the book to blame their bad habits, whether it be eating, drinking, smoking whatever on someone or something else.

It seems that no one is accountable anymore for their actions in this country. Let's see, why don't we blame the recession on "blue eyed white males" which the president of Brazil recently did.

Posted by Jim May 26, 09 07:59 PMIf McCain were president, George Bush would be linked to weight gain.

Posted by lol May 26, 09 08:08 PMIt is clear, very clear, that social experiences of discrimination against lead to pernicious hormonal and behavioral changes. It is not just a matter of habits, there are social and structural determinants of health. People under stress do not have the same chance of controlling themselves when eating. If they are under acute stress, the corticotropin hormone makes them to eat less. Right after the acute stress, the corticoids are still high and the corticotropin low and they eat a lot. That is well known. The weakness of this study is the utilization of perception of discrimination against as a measure of racism. I do not know how well correlated are other measures of racism with perception of racism. I also do not know what other measures ofracism are reliable.

Posted by John Smith May 26, 09 08:21 PMI don't know whether to laugh or cry. This is, quite possibly, the most asinine thing I've ever read.

Posted by urkiddinme May 26, 09 08:24 PMI have felt all the the feelings associated with the discriminatory practices listed above. If you want to discuss a problem, let's discuss self-esteem and the effects of being a woman, especially an aging woman, in this society. Let's do a study on that and see what results we get! That said, everyone has felt rejected and has been treated unfairly: male, female, black white, Asian, Hispanic, Christian, Jew, young old, etc. Yes, there is discrimination in this world and it is not restricted to black women.

Something else to consider is that just maybe the store clerk, policeman, waitress

or other perpetrator of "discriminatory" behavior was just having a bad day and took it out on thew closest person. It happens to me all the time and I'm not a black woman.

Posted by Kathie May 26, 09 08:28 PM

Defiant1
05-27-2009, 06:49 AM
It's Bush's fault.

Gingersnap
05-27-2009, 12:59 PM
Then how would this "correlation" explain the fatness of black African women who can afford to overeat? They are surrounded by nothing other than black Africans and they still get fat.

If there is any real difference between black and white women in terms of weight, it probably comes down to the increased pressure some white women feel to remain at a normal weight. There isn't any kind of cultural or folkloric support for fat white women. Nobody admires our "booty" but they can be quick to remark on a "fat ass". White women just don't get the same pass to be fat and so some of us actually work at staying within a reasonable weight.

megimoo
05-27-2009, 03:04 PM
Then how would this "correlation" explain the fatness of black African women who can afford to overeat? They are surrounded by nothing other than black Africans and they still get fat.

If there is any real difference between black and white women in terms of weight, it probably comes down to the increased pressure some white women feel to remain at a normal weight. There isn't any kind of cultural or folkloric support for fat white women. Nobody admires our "booty" but they can be quick to remark on a "fat ass". White women just don't get the same pass to be fat and so some of us actually work at staying within a reasonable weight." There you go again !"

noonwitch
05-27-2009, 03:18 PM

If there is any real difference between black and white women in terms of weight, it probably comes down to the increased pressure some white women feel to remain at a normal weight. There isn't any kind of cultural or folkloric support for fat white women. Nobody admires our "booty" but they can be quick to remark on a "fat ass". White women just don't get the same pass to be fat and so some of us actually work at staying within a reasonable weight.

That's a good point.

Black men appreciate women of all body types. Even at my heaviest (size 26-28), I'd get attention from black men, when no white men were paying attention.

Gingersnap
05-27-2009, 03:31 PM
That's a good point.

Black men appreciate women of all body types. Even at my heaviest (size 26-28), I'd get attention from black men, when no white men were paying attention.

See, there you are.

stsinner
05-27-2009, 03:32 PM
Well, if they wouldn't commit crimes at an astoundingly inordinate rate compared to their representation in society, we wouldn't suspect them in stores and such... Blame whitey, as usual.. What nonsense.

Surely it can't be all the hog maws, chit'lins, deep fried foods and basically unhealthy diet of the kinds of foods that are cheaper and, therefore, more fattening.. Surely not.. Let's blame whitey.

If racism makes blacks fat, they should have been the size of blimps in the 50's and 60's, but, alas, there I go again with reason.

BadCat
05-27-2009, 03:36 PM
That's a good point.

Larger than a size 6, and a woman is out of my range of consideration.

I don't know why that is, but I know what I like.

stsinner
05-27-2009, 03:39 PM
Why don't they do a study on how black people have made white peoples' insurance bills bigger... Property values smaller, streets less safe...... Oh, you won't hear about that stuff...

Shannon
05-27-2009, 03:45 PM
I've always said that when a black man admires my body it's time to go on a diet.

BadCat
05-27-2009, 03:52 PM
And we DO admire "booty" ( I hate that term) on white women.

Ever see Jessica Biel?

When that girl walks it looks like she's got two weasels in the back of her pants.

Gingersnap
05-27-2009, 03:58 PM
I've always said that when a black man admires my body it's time to go on a diet.

That's harsh! Hysterically funny but really harsh. :p

stsinner
05-27-2009, 05:04 PM

LOL.... Good one, Shannon!

Teetop
05-27-2009, 05:31 PM

Ever see Jessica Biel?

When that girl walks it looks like she's got two weasels in the back of her pants.

There is a young lady who lives here, I swear! She has the most perfect ass I have ever seen. :eek:

megimoo
05-27-2009, 06:14 PM
That's a good point.

Black men appreciate women of all body types. Even at my heaviest (size 26-28), I'd get attention from black men, when no white men were paying attention.Is your Booty Bountiful ?
http://people.tribe.net/3369livia/blog/5f7abc77-b1bd-4901-ba05-8fd453201008

megimoo
05-27-2009, 06:15 PM

Ever see Jessica Biel?

When that girl walks it looks like she's got two weasels in the back of her pants.Two wildcats in a burlap sack !

Teetop
05-27-2009, 11:14 PM
Is your Booty Bountiful ?
http://people.tribe.net/3369livia/blog/5f7abc77-b1bd-4901-ba05-8fd453201008

NOW! We know what Megs does all day. :D

Gingersnap
05-27-2009, 11:37 PM
NOW! We know what Megs does all day. :D

Actually, we already knew that but we just don't talk about it. :D

megimoo
05-28-2009, 12:02 AM
NOW! We know what Megs does all day. :DLots of different things but mostly writing programs !

CueSi
05-28-2009, 12:40 AM

I know you probably didn't mean it, but it sounds vaguely racist. It makes it sound like being admired by black men is a bad thing. I may not like black men sexually, but DAMN, Shannon - - take it for what it is.

~QC
(Size 14 and still gets it from the white boys)

Lars1701a
05-28-2009, 09:27 AM
I know you probably didn't mean it, but it sounds vaguely racist. It makes it sound like being admired by black men is a bad thing. I may not like black men sexually, but DAMN, Shannon - - take it for what it is.

~QC
(Size 14 and still gets it from the white boys)

Dont worry I love my women with curves, nothing wrong with them :D

Odysseus
05-28-2009, 04:04 PM
That's a good point.

So, racism cause weight gain in black women and impairs vision in black men? :D

Zafod
05-28-2009, 05:02 PM
So, racism cause weight gain in black women and impairs vision in black men? :Dhaha no crap huh?