PDA

View Full Version : Invade North Korea?

AHeneen
05-28-2009, 01:48 AM
Of course 0 would never even contemplate such a thing, but hypothetically-speaking:

Do you think we should invade the DPRK already? Are we tired of listening to this shit and trying to figure out what Mr.Kim will do?

South Korea has had a reunification plan for years, so I could imagine implementing it on the fly wouldn't be too hard. Invading would be hard, but if SK & Japan bore the brunt of the invading force (with the USAF & Navy doing the bombing), would we be able to do it in a week or two? It wouldn't be an Iraq with a large insurgency...it would be a cross between the liberation of Kuwait and the reunification of Germany, in my opinion.

djones520
05-28-2009, 01:58 AM
I say no. Kim Jong Il is months to maybe a couple years away from kicking the bucket. I say we should wait and see what the regime that ends up taking over is like. There's a chance they could open up to the world, formalizing peace, etc...

With his death so near, there is no point in putting the lives of millions at risk until we know what will happen.

djones520
05-28-2009, 02:00 AM
And addressing another point of your post... Japan would not have anything to do with an "invasion" unless they where directly attacked by N. Korean forces. This would probably be likely, because of the number of US bases in Japan, that are within striking range of N. Korean missiles, but it's not an assured possibility. And if they did get involved, it would probably be with naval and air support. Between US and S. Korean ground forces, there would probably be little need for Japanese ground forces.

AHeneen
05-28-2009, 03:03 AM
Kim Jong Il is months to maybe a couple years away from kicking the bucket.
Mr.Kim is only 68. While we might speculate about his health, he could easily live another 10-20 years (like Fidel).

There's a chance they could open up to the world, formalizing peace, etc...
Rumor is that the son who attended school in Switzerland is the one he's preparing for the presidency. But given the history, I am sure anyone Kim has trained for the presidency would be trained in the party ideals, etc.

Between US and S. Korean ground forces, there would probably be little need for Japanese ground forces.

The reason I mentioned the Japanese was that the US wouldn't be involved with anyone on the ground because our commitments to Iraq & Afghanistan are enough of a strain as it is.

djones520
05-28-2009, 04:44 AM
Mr.Kim is only 68. While we might speculate about his health, he could easily live another 10-20 years (like Fidel).

Rumor is that the son who attended school in Switzerland is the one he's preparing for the presidency. But given the history, I am sure anyone Kim has trained for the presidency would be trained in the party ideals, etc.

The reason I mentioned the Japanese was that the US wouldn't be involved with anyone on the ground because our commitments to Iraq & Afghanistan are enough of a strain as it is.

We have roughly 90,000 ground troops in Japan and Korea. Combine that with the formidable force that the S. Korean army can bring to bear, we shouldn't need to bring to many more. Our main contributions to such a conflict now would most likely be air and sea forces.

And it doesn't really matter who Kim is grooming to take command. Anything could happen. There may be a number of generals who refuse to follow another Jong Il and commit a coup. His sons schooling in western society could help keep him from being so hard line as his father. Any number of things could happen. Quite frankly, the odds of the situation improving are a lot greater then it getting worse.

Japandroid
05-28-2009, 06:03 AM
it would be a cross between the liberation of Kuwait and the reunification of Germany, in my opinion.
Where have we heard this before....

noonwitch
05-28-2009, 08:59 AM
I saw we work with the Chinese, the Japanese and the South Koreans to find a way to deal with this-like using our technology to shoot down their missles.

Rockntractor
05-28-2009, 09:40 AM
I saw we work with the Chinese, the Japanese and the South Koreans to find a way to deal with this-like using our technology to shoot down their missles.
Linda numbers come back!

Aklover
05-28-2009, 05:48 PM
America does not have the will or the stomach for an invasion of N.Korea. I remember reading an assessment of their defense network. Assuming the NKA would fight rather than sack their leadership it would be very messy.

Then there is China.

Blockade would be an option but the wrong people would die en masse before NK gave in.

noonwitch
05-29-2009, 11:07 AM
America does not have the will or the stomach for an invasion of N.Korea. I remember reading an assessment of their defense network. Assuming the NKA would fight rather than sack their leadership it would be very messy.

Then there is China.

Blockade would be an option but the wrong people would die en masse before NK gave in.

Invading would piss off the chinese, anyways. We know that the NKs have no problem with starving their own people. It's China's problem, in a lot of ways, but mostly because they are the leading nation in the region and they share a border with NK.

I don't think the people of NK know anything about how to sack leaders and such. They seem to live a pretty bleak existence.