PDA

View Full Version : Green Turbine Drive Neighbors Mad

Gingersnap
05-28-2009, 10:45 AM
Green homeowner hit with noise abatement order because 40ft wind turbine is driving his neighbours mad

By Chris Brooke
Last updated at 12:29 AM on 27th May 2009

When Stephen Munday spent 20,000 on a wind turbine to generate electricity for his home, he was proud to be doing his bit for the environment. He got planning permission and put up the 40ft device two years ago, making sure he stuck to strict noise level limits.

But neighbours still complained that the sound was annoying - and now the local council has ordered him to switch it off.

Officials declared that the sound - which Mr Munday says is 'the same pitch as a dishwasher and quieter than birdsong' - constituted a nuisance, and issued a Noise Abatement Order. This is despite the turbine being more than 164ft from the nearest neighbour's house, as ordered by the planners. The ruling could have serious implications for the Government's drive to promote wind power and the use of renewable domestic energy if repeated across the country.

Electrician Mr Munday, 55, and his wife Sandra, a veterinary nurse, challenged the decision by the Vale of White Horse district council in Oxfordshire. But Didcot magistrates rejected their appeal and they were left to pick up the 5,392 court costs as well.

The turbine generated five kilowatts of electricity a day - the equivalent of boiling 300 kettles - and provided two-thirds of the family's energy needs. It also saved them an average of 500 a year in electricity costs.

Somebody help me with the math here. :D

Daily Mail (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1187936/Green-homeowner-hit-noise-abatement-order-40ft-wind-turbine-driving-neighbours-mad.html)

stsinner
05-28-2009, 11:11 AM
The math doesn't matter to the greenies.. They just want to stop their usage of carbon-based electricity, and even if it costs the loonies 20,000 pounds, it's worth it to use the wind to power their house..

Some loonies are willing to allow the global warming nazis to completely upset their lives and make everything more expensive an inconvenient in order to save the environment.

This helps them sleep better at night.

....sigh... Even my wife carries an arm load of cloth bas to the grocery store with her now to put the groceries in.....

AlmostThere
05-28-2009, 11:13 AM
I had an air conditioning guy out a couple months ago to swap out some equipment for me. We were discussing options that would include tax rebates. He brought up the subject of solar panels on the roof. He told me that currently the cost of the panels and installation would take 4 times longer to recoup than the life expectancy of the panels. Where do I sign up???? :rolleyes:

Nubs
05-28-2009, 11:48 AM
If there is nothing ever spent on maintenance and if power prices stay the same, it will generate income in 40 years. Long after the original owner is dead or 95 years old whichever comes first.

Using normal industry metrics of 4 year ROI, electricity prices would need to increase by a factor of 10.

Jfor
05-28-2009, 12:15 PM
Using normal industry metrics of 4 year ROI, electricity prices would need to increase by a factor of 10.

And that my friend is where and cap and trade comes in!

noonwitch
05-28-2009, 02:59 PM
I had an air conditioning guy out a couple months ago to swap out some equipment for me. We were discussing options that would include tax rebates. He brought up the subject of solar panels on the roof. He told me that currently the cost of the panels and installation would take 4 times longer to recoup than the life expectancy of the panels. Where do I sign up???? :rolleyes:

That was one of the problems with the panels in 1978 when I wrote a paper for my middle school science class about solar panels. You would think they would have come up with some better ways after 20 years! After all, 20 years ago, most heart attacks were fatal and Ford was still trying to sell us Pintos.

Nubs
05-28-2009, 03:51 PM
And that my friend is where and cap and trade comes in!

And that would make my electricity bill $500/month more than my mortgage.

Jfor
05-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Yup... their goal is to make conventional electricity expensive so that alternative energy sources appear cheaper in comparison.

hazlnut
05-28-2009, 04:02 PM

It sounds like the guy wasn't interested in selling you solar panels. Like the guy on the GM lot is not going to tell you about the milage on a Toyota. You might want to do a little more price shopping.

Of course the solar panel guy is going to tell you what you want to hear in order to make a sale.

Stick with consumer reports and energy star.

Nubs
05-28-2009, 07:10 PM
Yup... their goal is to make conventional electricity expensive so that alternative energy sources appear cheaper in comparison.

And thus the price of everything goes up, i.e. energy inflation. But according to the enlightned governmtne, no inflation occurs because we don't count it. Therefore we need not adjust interest rates to compensate.