PDA

View Full Version : interrogator says torture cost lives.

nero
05-29-2009, 08:49 PM
The interrogators speak out, they say torture cost lives and Cheney is lying. These are the men who did the interrogations.

I taught the members of my unit a new methodology -- one based on building rapport with suspects, showing cultural understanding and using good old-fashioned brainpower to tease out information. I personally conducted more than 300 interrogations, and I supervised more than 1,000. The methods my team used are not classified (they're listed in the unclassified Field Manual), but the way we used them was, I like to think, unique. We got to know our enemies, we learned to negotiate with them, and we adapted criminal investigative techniques to our work (something that the Field Manual permits, under the concept of "ruses and trickery"). It worked. Our efforts started a chain of successes that ultimately led to Zarqawi.... I learned in Iraq that the No. 1 reason foreign fighters flocked there to fight were the abuses carried out at Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo. Our policy of torture was directly and swiftly recruiting fighters for al-Qaeda in Iraq. The large majority of suicide bombings in Iraq are still carried out by these foreigners. They are also involved in most of the attacks on U.S. and coalition forces in Iraq. It's no exaggeration to say that at least half of our losses and casualties in that country have come at the hands of foreigners who joined the fray because of our program of detainee abuse. The number of U.S. soldiers who have died because of our torture policy will never be definitively known, but it is fair to say that it is close to the number of lives lost on Sept. 11, 2001. How anyone can say that torture keeps Americans safe is beyond me -- unless you don't count American soldiers as Americans.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/28/AR2008112802242.html

Soufan described how he, together with FBI colleague Steve Gaudin, began the interrogation of Abu Zubaydah. They nursed his wounds, gained his confidence and got the terror suspect talking. They extracted crucial intelligence—including the identity of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed as the architect of 9/11 and the dirty-bomb plot of Jose Padilla—before CIA contractors even began their aggressive tactics..... "I've kept my mouth shut about all this for seven years," Soufan says. But now, with the declassification of Justice memos and the public assertions by Cheney and others that "enhanced" techniques worked, Soufan feels compelled to speak out. "I was in the middle of this, and it's not true that these [aggressive] techniques were effective," he says. "We were able to get the information about Khalid Sheikh Mohammed in a couple of days. We didn't have to do any of this [torture]. We could have done this the right way." http://www.newsweek.com/id/195089/page/2

Constitutionally Speaking
05-29-2009, 08:52 PM
And yet the memo's that Blair released said exactly the opposite and showed there WAS actionable intelligence that was used and DID prevent attacks.

Fact are silly little things, aren't they.

nero
05-29-2009, 08:56 PM
And yet the memo's that Blair released said exactly the opposite and showed there WAS actionable intelligence that was used and DID prevent attacks.

The memo says a deeper understanding of the network was obtained, it DOES NOT SAY there was 'actionable intel' or that it 'prevented attacks'

You just made that shit up.

He DID say...

It said, "The information gained from these techniques was valuable in some instances, but there is no way of knowing whether the same information could have been obtained through other means."

nero
05-29-2009, 08:57 PM

The interrogators say the fighters in Iraq are fighting and killing our boys because of these abuses.

Does the Blair memo say the opposite ?

CHECKMATE.

Sonnabend
05-29-2009, 09:30 PM
Not political news.

Moved.

Sonnabend
05-29-2009, 09:32 PM
As far as interrogations go:my position is this

Black is negative
red is positive
Make sure his balls are wet

nero
05-29-2009, 09:35 PM
Cheney caught in a lie....again.

Sonnabend
05-29-2009, 09:36 PM
Cheney caught in a lie....again.

You'd know.

Supercrash.

Rockntractor
05-29-2009, 09:38 PM
As far as interrogations go:my position is this

Black is negative
red is positive
Make sure his balls are wet
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/RoflLg.gif?t=1243647460

nero
05-29-2009, 09:42 PM
You'd know.

Supercrash.

The interrogators just told us that torture didn't work, and that it cost hundreds if not thousands of lives.

If you love torture so much, you must love seeing our troops getting killed. The interrogators said our troops are being killed because of views like yours..

Did you even read what the interrogators said ?

Rockntractor
05-29-2009, 09:45 PM
The interrogators just told us that torture didn't work, and that it cost hundreds if not thousands of lives.

If you love torture so much, you must love seeing our troops getting killed. The interrogators said our troops are being killed because of views like yours..

Did you even read what the interrogators said ?
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/idiots.jpg?t=1243647864

nero
05-29-2009, 09:46 PM
WTF ?

This site is full of 5 year olds.

Do you somehow think that picture debunks what I posted ?

Rockntractor
05-29-2009, 09:50 PM
WTF ?

This site is full of 5 year olds.

Do you somehow think that picture debunks what I posted ?
What you have posted was debunked a long time ago and you are not worth an intelligent arguement. I am giving you more effort than you deserve.

nero
05-29-2009, 09:56 PM
What you have posted was debunked a long time ago and you are not worth an intelligent arguement. I am giving you more effort than you deserve.

I posted the words of the interrogators who worked in Iraq.

They have not been debunked by anybody. You know it, and I know it. They are telling the truth.

Rockntractor
05-29-2009, 10:00 PM

They have not been debunked by anybody. You know it, and I know it. They are telling the truth.
So I guess they are the only two interogators we have moron.

lacarnut
05-29-2009, 10:01 PM

You were there; so you know he is telling the truth. Wrong, whitebread.

SarasotaRepub
05-29-2009, 10:02 PM

Why would Darth Cheney quote memos that, if released, would prove
him a liar? :confused:

nero
05-29-2009, 10:05 PM
You were there; so you know he is telling the truth. Wrong, whitebread.

He testified before congress. Are you saying he lied ?

Rockntractor
05-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Your calling Chenney a liar.

lacarnut
05-29-2009, 10:12 PM

Did Kerry lie when he testified before Congress or better put does a bear live in the woods? You must be a dumb ass if you believe differently.

MrsSmith
05-29-2009, 10:33 PM

Matthew Alexander led an interrogations team assigned to a Special Operations task force in Iraq in 2006. He is the author of "How to Break a Terrorist: The U.S. Interrogators Who Used Brains, Not Brutality, to Take Down the Deadliest Man in Iraq." He is writing under a pseudonym for security reasons.

You posted the words of someone who claims to be an interrogator, without any proof that he actually was.

Beyond that, the Good Cop Bad Cop game is quite well known. If there is any truth in anything he wrote, he was simply the one playing Good Cop. (Not to mention the very minor point that the foreigners flooded into Iraq long before the US published any of their scare tactics.) In fact, given the allowed tactics, the terrorist recruiters are now using our memos to sign people up...they can truthfully say that our guys aren't allowed to hurt them at all, so even if they're captured, they will be allowed to have a Koran, say their prayers, and eventually get a second chance at martyrdom.

05-29-2009, 10:38 PM
The memo says a deeper understanding of the network was obtained, it DOES NOT SAY there was 'actionable intel' or that it 'prevented attacks'

You just made that shit up.

He DID say...

It said, "The information gained from these techniques was valuable in some instances, but there is no way of knowing whether the same information could have been obtained through other means."

The memo also says they DID try other means and Khalid Sheik Mohammad simply responded "you will find out soon enough".

Game, Set, Match.

nero
05-29-2009, 10:40 PM
The memo also says they DID try other means and Khalid Sheik Mohammad simply responded "you will find out soon enough".

Game, Set, Match.

Link ?

05-29-2009, 10:40 PM
The interrogators say the fighters in Iraq are fighting and killing our boys because of these abuses.

Does the Blair memo say the opposite ?

CHECKMATE.

The ONLY reason these interrogations are even known is that assholes who want us to lose (read Democrats) blabbed about them non-stop, made up lies about what we actually did and made a big deal out of a method that we use to train our own soldiers with.

I can imagine the terrorists laughing their asses off over the things we consider torture.

Slapping the face, shouting, putting a caterpillar in a box IN THE SAME ROOM as the terrorist.

GIVE ME A FRICKING BREAK.

Because of assholes like you, they now know that this is the WORST they can expect and THAT is probably helping to recruit them more than anything else - hell they have nothing to fear!

nero
05-29-2009, 10:41 PM
The ONLY reason these interrogations are even known is that assholes who want us to lose (read Democrats) blabbed about them non-stop.

The interrogator is not known, he testified to congress behind a screen. He claimed Cheney isn't correct.

I suppose he is lying.

MrsSmith
05-29-2009, 10:46 PM
The interrogator is not known, he testified to congress behind a screen. He claimed Cheney isn't correct.

I suppose he is lying.
:rolleyes:

FlaGator
05-29-2009, 10:54 PM

If they're willing to torture people then they are willing to lie.

FlaGator
05-29-2009, 10:56 PM

I suppose he is lying.

There's some testimony you can trust. Some one who is too scared to show his face is capable of saying anything. It's easy to lie from anonymity. Look at all the lying liberals on DU.

05-29-2009, 10:57 PM

I suppose he is lying.

Was Jesse McBeth????

ralph wiggum
05-29-2009, 10:59 PM
interrogator says torture cost lives

Me troll type poorly.

05-29-2009, 10:59 PM

I suppose he is lying.

InterrogaTIONS not Interrogators.

:rolleyes:

05-29-2009, 11:04 PM
Link ?

How many do you want???

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/four-cia-chiefs-objected-to-torture-memos-being-released-14272978.html

http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/national/2009/04/17/memos-describe-cias-harsh-interrogation-program.html

http://www.cnsnews.com/Public/Content/Article.aspx?rsrcid=46949

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=Torture+memo+%22soon+you+will+know%22&aq=&oq=&aqi=&fp=1mZ_-PL2Zjc

Jfor
05-29-2009, 11:11 PM
Nero thinks that calling someone a big fat meanie head is torture.

Rockntractor
05-29-2009, 11:17 PM
Nero thinks that calling someone a big fat meanie head is torture.

Hey! lets keep this civil.:D

Jfor
05-29-2009, 11:19 PM
hahaha

05-29-2009, 11:34 PM
Nero is here, but curiously avoiding this thread!

Sonnabend
05-30-2009, 08:24 AM
I suppose he is lying.

More than likely.

nero
05-30-2009, 09:15 AM
How many do you want???

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/four-cia-chiefs-objected-to-torture-memos-being-released-14272978.html

http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/national/2009/04/17/memos-describe-cias-harsh-interrogation-program.html

http://www.cnsnews.com/Public/Content/Article.aspx?rsrcid=46949

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=Torture+memo+%22soon+you+will+know%22&aq=&oq=&aqi=&fp=1mZ_-PL2Zjc

Doesn't matter. Torture is a war crime. And...The memo isn't declassified. Levin and Fiengold said they saw the memo and it DOESN'T say what you claim it says.

I would believe Levin and Russ before Dick Cheney.

SarasotaRepub
05-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Doesn't matter. Torture is a war crime. And...The memo isn't declassified. Levin and Fiengold said they saw the memo and it DOESN'T say what you claim it says.

I would believe Levin and Russ before Dick Cheney.

The problem is even though lefties like you hate Cheney with a passion my question still stands. Why would the former VP quote memos, ask for them to be declassed if they wouldn't prove what he said? I know the Left thinks he's the Devil but one thing he isn't is stupid.

nero
05-30-2009, 10:05 AM
The problem is even though lefties like you hate Cheney with a passion my question still stands. Why would the former VP quote memos, ask for them to be declassed if they wouldn't prove what he said? I know the Left thinks he's the Devil but one thing he isn't is stupid.

I will answer your question.

The memos will show that we DID get some intel on how the network is formed.

Cheney will then claim that a deeper understanding of the terror network allowed us to 'save lives' ...of course he won't have a case, but he will parse those words till the cows come home.

It's not like Cheney was ever wrong about anything before. :rolleyes:

Why would Levin and Fiengold say the memo doesn't contain it when it does ?

The memo will be released, by Obama ...or it will be leaked. We will see it.

BTW, You, and most Americans already fell for the trap and didn't even know it. The issue was reframed when you wern't looking.

Before the Iraq war the issue should have been...

"Is Iraq and it's wmd's a threat to the USA"

But was reframed... "Does Saddam have wmd's"

The torture question is not "does torture work"

The question is "is torture legal"

SarasotaRepub
05-30-2009, 10:42 AM

Cheney will then claim that a deeper understanding of the terror network allowed us to 'save lives' ...of course he won't have a case, but he will parse those words till the cows come home.

BTW, You, and most Americans already fell for the trap and didn't even know it. The issue was reframed when you wern't looking.

Well we'll see when and if the memos are released, leaking crap has always been a cowards way of doing stuff, I don't care what party is involved.

My 2 cents on torture, if peoples lives are at stake I say hookem up to the battery Sparky. You really are naive if you think the rest of the worlds governments don't use torture. In this country it just gets turned into a political issue by both Repubs and Dems.

Let me ask you this, if we caught some POS who had knowledge of where a bomb (any bomb) was going to go off and kill thousands, who would you want questioning the POS? Darth Cheney or Nancy Pelosi?

Some of you Lefties really need to get a clue that the world out there isn't going to change into rainbows and Free Ponies just because Obama is now Prez. The US has enemies and I would deal with them any way necessary. Look at Kimmy
over in the Workers Paradise of N.Korean (do you have plans to move there? :p). He's pushing Obama because Obama looks weak. I know you won't admit that but anyone with half a brain would.

MrsSmith
05-30-2009, 12:13 PM

The questions were always, "Which ME country poses the greatest hazard to the US? Which is second greatest? etc." The answers were Afghanistan, Iraq and Iran. By holding both Iraq and Afghanistan, Iran is threatened on 2 sides...therefore, the decision was made to take the weakest 2 of 3...and, while doing so, prove to other terrorist sympathizing countries that the US is tough enough to kick butt. (Of course, that would work better without whiny morons like you mouthing off all the time.)

And again you are wrong. There is no question that torture is illegal. The question is, "Did the US torture? Were the techinques used torturous?" The answer is, "NO." The US did not torture, did not condone torture, did not committ torture. The US used scare tactics to try to gain information.

The only "reframing" done was done by, dare I say it again...morons like you and the MSM. Just like lying Pelosi, who knew and approved of the methods used UNTIL they could be turned into political points, you lie, you lie all the time.

nero
05-30-2009, 06:28 PM
My 2 cents on torture, if peoples lives are at stake I say hookem up to the battery Sparky.

You are not being truthful. Peoples lives ARE at stake. The FBI interrogators have told us that torture HAS COST LIVES ...yet you still want to torture.

The FBI has now told us that totrure is the main reason the foreign fighters are killing our troops, and he told us that torture DIDN'T WORK.

But you still want to torture, even now that we know it is costing us lives.

You really are naive if you think the rest of the worlds governments don't use torture. In this country it just gets turned into a political issue by both Repubs and Dems.

We are better than those places. How dare yopu compare us to Iran, Egypt, Turkey, Indonesia. This is why we are the best country on then planet.

Rockntractor
05-30-2009, 06:31 PM
You are not being truthful. Peoples lives ARE at stake. The FBI interrogators have told us that torture HAS COST LIVES ...yet you still want to torture.

The FBI has now told us that totrure is the main reason the foreign fighters are killing our troops, and he told us that torture DIDN'T WORK.

But you still want to torture, even now that we know it is costing us lives.

We are better than those places. How dare yopu compare us to Iran, Egypt, Turkey, Indonesia. This is why we are the best country on then planet.
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/idiotss.jpg?t=1243722629

AmPat
05-31-2009, 05:12 PM

I suppose he is lying.

Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking
The ONLY reason these interrogations are even known is that assholes who want us to lose (read Democrats) blabbed about them non-stop.Hey stupid, allow me to point out the above. He said "interrogaTIONS," not interrogaTORS.

MORON!:rolleyes:

note: I realize the moron is banned but I also know he is lurking like the cock-----------------roach he is.