PDA

View Full Version : Onion and Mushroom Pie

patriot45
05-30-2009, 09:18 PM
A friend came down from georgia and brought us some sweet vidalia onions. I found this recipe on line and its a winner! We had it with some grilled NY strips, but the second pie is going to make a heck of a breakfast!!
I didn't use caroway seeds, I don't like them.

1 pastry shell, 9-inch
6 slices bacon
1 cup thinly sliced Vidalia onions or other sweet onions
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup sour cream
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground white or black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons chives
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds, optional
Preparation:
Bake the pie crust at 425 until browned, about 10 minutes. Remove and reduce oven temperature to 300. Fry bacon until crisp; drain and crumble. Saute onions and mushrooms in bacon drippings until tender. Combine eggs, sour cream, salt, pepper, chives, onions, mushrooms and bacon. Pour into pie shell and sprinkle with caraway seeds, if using. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until set.

Wow sauteeing in bacon fat and pouring all of it together!
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/mushroompie002.jpg

Gonna bake a pie!
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/mushroompie004.jpg

Well, a blurry pic, but a steak grilled to perfection and a pretty good pie! :D

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/mushroompie006.jpg

SaintLouieWoman
05-30-2009, 10:28 PM
OMG, that looks delicious. Think I'll try that next week. Thanks for the recipe.And I'll skip the seeds, too.

Question---since you had 2 pies. Does the recipe make enough for 2 pies or did you double it for the extra pie?

SarasotaRepub
05-30-2009, 10:32 PM
WOOT! Pie is good! :D

patriot45
05-30-2009, 10:50 PM
OMG, that looks delicious. Think I'll try that next week. Thanks for the recipe.And I'll skip the seeds, too.

Question---since you had 2 pies. Does the recipe make enough for 2 pies or did you double it for the extra pie?

Good call, I doubled it to make 2 pies. You will like it especially if you can get vidalia sweet Georgia onions, nice and mellow sweet taste!

SaintLouieWoman
06-02-2009, 10:18 PM
Good call, I doubled it to make 2 pies. You will like it especially if you can get vidalia sweet Georgia onions, nice and mellow sweet taste!

They have the vidalia Georgia onions on sale at some of the local stores. I'll have to get some at the store.

So is the recipe you posted for one or 2 pies? I'm going to try to make it this weekend. SR would like it for breakfast.

megimoo
06-02-2009, 10:22 PM
They have the vidalia Georgia onions on sale at some of the local stores. I'll have to get some at the store.

So is the recipe you posted for one or 2 pies? I'm going to try to make it this weekend. SR would like it for breakfast.What about those white castle mini's ?

stsinner
06-03-2009, 08:55 PM
Wow! That looks utterly DISGUSTING! But I love onions, and I love mushrooms, so a big part of me is leaning toward trying it!

Bubba Dawg
06-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Delicious looking. Nice recipe. I'll try it as a side dish with steak next time.

I drive through Vidalia every now and then. Nice little town.

SaintLouieWoman
06-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Got the remaining ingredients at the local Schnuck's grocery store today. Plan to make it Sunday morning to replace our usual Sunday pancakes or waffles. Will let you know how it turned out.

SarasotaRepub
06-06-2009, 09:42 PM
Got the remaining ingredients at the local Schnuck's grocery store today. Plan to make it Sunday morning to replace our usual Sunday pancakes or waffles. Will let you know how it turned out.

PIE!!!!! :D

FlaGator
06-06-2009, 10:56 PM
PIE!!!!! :D

A blast from the past (http://www.weebls-stuff.com/wab/pie/)

SarasotaRepub
06-07-2009, 11:09 AM
PIE is in oven!!!! :):D

SaintLouieWoman
06-07-2009, 01:47 PM
The pie was delicious. We added a dash of garlic powder, but otherwise followed the recipe. I would suggest to get the deep dish pie crust if you buy ready made, as the "regular" pie crust was too small to hold the entire mushroom/onion mix. There wasn't enough to fill a second pie, so I just put the remaining mixrure in the fry pan used to brown the mushrooms and onions and had a nice little pre-breakfast treat to hold SR til the pie was ready.

Great recipe, Patriot! Thanks so much for posting it.