PDA

View Full Version : Ex-US Rep formally announces run for Ohio governor

CueSi
06-02-2009, 12:44 AM
Ex-US Rep formally announces run for Ohio governor

By STEPHEN MAJORS
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP)

EXCERPT--

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) Former Ohio Congressman John Kasich kicked off his campaign for governor Monday, saying he would eventually eliminate the state's income tax while Democrats leveled a pre-emptive strike to tie him to Wall Street greed and irresponsibility.

Kasich, who served in Congress for 18 years before taking a managing director's job at former investment firm Lehman Brothers in New York City in 2001, said Gov. Ted Strickland had gone begging to the federal government for financial help instead of looking inward in trying to solve the state's problems.

Kasich's kickoff speech was high on the theme of change that dominated the last election cycle but contained few specifics about how he would govern, other than shrinking government, lowering taxes and eliminating the state's income taxes its second largest source of revenue behind sales taxes.

"We were in the ditch before we got here," Kasich, 57, told a crowd of roughly 1,000 at a historic barn in the Columbus suburb of Westerville, his hometown. "And now we're deeper in the ditch. And I can tell you under this governor and these programs we're never going to come out of the ditch.

The Rest of the Story (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hOTtRKC8d7-vhcyhICOZAP6t_VywD98I6PVG0)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Ohio's a bellwether state. If Kaisich takes it, we might have a shot. :)

~QC

Constitutionally Speaking
06-02-2009, 06:48 AM
From all I have seen, Kasich is a GREAT person to lead Ohio and I would like to see him run for President again.

djones520
06-02-2009, 07:36 AM
We've got a strong candidate running in Michigan to. Congressman Hoekstra threw his hat in the ring.

06-02-2009, 08:01 AM
We've got a strong candidate running in Michigan to. Congressman Hoekstra threw his hat in the ring.

I agree - I have met him on many occasions and he is a GREAT candidate.

CueSi
06-02-2009, 12:35 PM

What do you think of Congressman Thad McCotter? I've seen him on Red Eye mostly (and adressing a Tea Party on YouTube) and he's probably one of my favorite politicians. . .plain spoken and all that jazz that politicians say they are. . plus the dry wit.

~QC

noonwitch
06-02-2009, 01:53 PM
What do you think of Congressman Thad McCotter? I've seen him on Red Eye mostly (and adressing a Tea Party on YouTube) and he's probably one of my favorite politicians. . .plain spoken and all that jazz that politicians say they are. . plus the dry wit.

~QC

I like McCotter better than Hoekstra (I've seen both interviewed, and I think he's smarter than Hoekstra), but I still think Terri Lynn Land is the best GOP candidate. The dems have written off their voters by pushing Cherry on them. Archer isn't running. Neither Hoekstra nor McCotter have experience with state-wide politics. Land does.

McCotter could get more Oakland County votes than Hoekstra.

06-02-2009, 04:56 PM

~QC

Good man also. I just know Pete Better.

lacarnut
06-02-2009, 05:12 PM
It's about time conservatives like Kasich step up to the plate to give us a glimer of hope to throw out ALL the bums that are currently in office.

Teetop
06-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Although, John is dry. He is very intelligent, level-headed and most of, he has common sense. Something most politicians lack these days...

djones520
06-03-2009, 07:49 PM

~QC

I'd vote for him as well. Hoeksta's my Rep though, so he's getting my vote first. :D