PDA

View Full Version : GOP Rep. tapped as Secretary of the Army

hazlnut
06-02-2009, 02:35 PM
GOP Rep. John McHugh tapped as Secretary of the Army (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0609/23225.html)

Striking again at the already beleaguered Republican Party, President Barack Obama today will announce the appointment of Rep. John McHugh (R-N.Y.) as secretary of the Army.

In tapping McHugh, the top Republican on the House Armed Services Committee, Obama sidelines yet another senior GOP lawmaker.

The veteran congressman from upstate New York joins his former colleague from Illinois, Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, and Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman, the ambassador-designate to China, among the ranks of Republicans in the Obama administration, a list that nearly included New Hampshire Sen. Judd Gregg as Commerce Secretary. And McHugh’s appointment comes just over a month after administration officials helped push veteran Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter to switch from a Republican to a Democrat.

“The president has made an outstanding choice in John McHugh on his credentials,” said former Rep. Tom Reynolds (R-N.Y.), who also represented upstate New York. “He’s a leading expert on Armed services that members on both sides of the aisle respect. ... On any major issue on armed services, I wanted to hear John McHugh’s opinion.”

I read this as President Obama picking the right person for the job while reaching across the aisle for talented leadership. Like Utah Gov. Huntsman, McHugh apparently has a strong "expert" background on armed services and also the respect of his colleagues when it comes to this area.

No doubt, others may see the appointment differently. Though, I don't remember there being too much negative fallout from Huntsman appointment. We'll have to see on this one.

AHeneen
06-02-2009, 07:42 PM
I hope the Congressman refuses, Obama & Co. are trying to get rid of the Republican leadership in the House. Didn't they just select a Republican Congressman to be the ambassador to China?

Rockntractor
06-02-2009, 08:07 PM
I hope the Congressman refuses, Obama & Co. are trying to get rid of the Republican leadership in the House. Didn't they just select a Republican Congressman to be the ambassador to China?
We have leadership? What do they do tell the rest when to run and hide?

hazlnut
06-02-2009, 08:10 PM
We have leadership? What do the do tell the rest when to run and hide?

Come again?

lacarnut
06-02-2009, 08:56 PM

Divide and conquer. That's the strategy of the Democraps and media. Throw in a couple of a dumb shit RINO/Rocefeller Repubs like McCain, Powell, Ridge, Arnuld and you have the perfect storm.

Rockntractor
06-02-2009, 09:03 PM
Come again?
I haven't seen any true leadership in the republican parrty for quite a whlie. Why do you think the democrats dug up Rush to pick on. I'm at the point now where I wish the Republican party would dissolve and reform under a new name!