PDA

View Full Version : Fox News Watchers = Haters!

Gingersnap
06-08-2009, 12:45 PM
CNN Co-founder: High Fox News Ratings Caused by Anger
By P.J. Gladnick (Bio | Archive)
June 7, 2009 - 13:22 ET

You just know it has to be killing the folks at CNN and MSNBC that Fox News has completely overwhelmed them in the ratings. In fact, the combined number of viewers of both of those networks still doesn't match that of Fox News. Could it be that the public is sick of the fawning coverage given to the Obama administration by most of the mainstream media and look to Fox News for providing more balanced stories? That is something that the MSM people just can't confess. So what is their excuse for the ratings dominance by Fox News? CNN co-founder, Reese Schonfeld, provides a laughably lame excuse in the Huffington Post. First he presents an accurate but painful picture (from his POV) of the cable news ratings:

Nine years ago, when FoxNews sprinted past CNN to become America's number one news network, I attributed its ratings gains to the election of George Bush and the triumph of Fox-watching conservatives. I figured conservatives would be savoring their victory while liberals were averting their eyes in disgust. For the next eight years, I measured political sentiment in the United States by comparing the size of the FoxNews audience with the combined size of the CNN/MSNBC audience. In this space, I even predicted, with reasonable accuracy, the percent by which Barack Obama won the election based on the split in the news audience.

Stand by now for the money quote:

Now, seven months after Barack Obama's victory, CNN's ratings have gone down the drain. From May of last year to May of this year, CNN lost 22% of its total primetime audience. MSNBC was down 2%, while FoxNews was up 24%. In the key advertising demographic (25-54), Fox was up 31%, CNN was down 37% and MSNBC was down 26%. In hard numbers, Fox had 109,000 more viewers than last year while CNN lost 113,000. CNN averaged fewer than 200,000 25-54 viewers in primetime. Even MSNBC averaged more viewers than that.

And yet more painful ratings facts reported by Schonfeld:

Total day was nearly as bad, with Fox up 24% and CNN down 7%. MSNBC was down 2% in total viewing. Fox is beating CNN almost two-to-one in most categories.

Having faced the facts on the dismal ratings of CNN, Schonfeld proceeds to avoid the real reason why his network is failing:

There's no need to throw any more numbers at you--Fox is gaining, CNN is wilting. Why is this happening when the country still seems about 58-42 in favor of Obama? My best guess is the passion of those who detest Democrats, liberals, and in particular, Barack Obama.

Try guessing that viewers are bored by the constant Obama adulation that they see on CNN and MSNBC and want a more accurate presentation of the news, Reese. It seems that Schonfeld had hoped that younger viewers would boost the CNN ratings but they apparently disappointed him:

I had thought better of the television audience, particularly younger viewers who tended to watch CNN and MSNBC. But even that's gone now--Fox leads in 18-49 year-olds.

Amazing. I never thought I'd see blind ideology trump real-life marketing in the entertainment industry.

News busters (http://newsbusters.org/blogs/p-j-gladnick/2009/06/07/cnn-co-founder-high-fox-news-ratings-caused-anger)

PoliCon
06-08-2009, 01:06 PM
They would have to admit wrong to see their loses as anything else . . . .

thinker
06-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Although interesting, Ginger (and not necessarily untrue - I think the conclusions probably do have some merit) I have to wonder how much of the viewer drop is also related to fatigue. Think about it - a nearly two year long campaign, followed by a moment never before seen in American politics, is bound to cause an upsurge in viewers, and if there's an up, there has to be a down, too.

Hard to quantify, but probably affecting the numbers, though I couldn't begin to say how. Just an observation.

NJCardFan
06-08-2009, 01:17 PM
That's because most of the news watching public doesn't want to see the entire news media lining up to suck up to Obama. They want the news to be reported fairly. When it comes to reporting the news, there has yet to be any proof given about Fox's conservative bias. None. Opinion shows don't count. Even those, at least Fox has Sheppard Smith and Greta who are liberals and Geraldo on weekends as well as being a guest often. Name me one conservative on the other channels. The only one they had they got rid of(Glenn Beck). Also, shows like O'Reilly are informative and interesting. Olbermann is a constant rant about O'Reilly, Fox News, and other conservatives. It's boring and only moonbats are interested. The only person on those other channels I have any use for is Anderson Cooper. I believe he would be a great asset on Fox.

thinker
06-08-2009, 01:21 PM
I think Fox allows its' own image with the number of conservative talk shows it has...it likes being able to have the very obviously liberally biased networks screaming at the top of their lungs how biased Fox is. It's free advertisment, all of it. I (personally) believe that it's conservatively biased, but that doesn't stop me from watching and agreeing sometimes, either.

Then again, I listen to NPR too.

hazlnut
06-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Although interesting, Ginger (and not necessarily untrue - I think the conclusions probably do have some merit) I have to wonder how much of the viewer drop is also related to fatigue. Think about it - a nearly two year long campaign, followed by a moment never before seen in American politics, is bound to cause an upsurge in viewers, and if there's an up, there has to be a down, too.

Hard to quantify, but probably affecting the numbers, though I couldn't begin to say how. Just an observation.

I think you're absolutely right.

After the election, I started tuning into FNC more often--I wanted a different perspective. And I got it, in spades, as it were.

I've sort of settled on some FNC shows that I like and think are not overly partisan. So I am definitely part of the upsurge. How long will it last? I have no idea? I know that Hannity and Beck definitely play to peoples frustrations and I'm not always sure that's a healthy thing. When venting turns to a criminal act like Scott Roeder, then we have a problem.

noonwitch
06-08-2009, 01:54 PM
I watch some shows on FOX News, if nothing else is on. O'Reilly can be entertaining and he gets some good guests on his show. Glenn Beck is amusing because he is so overly dramatic, and possibly unstable. FOX usually covers presidential speeches live, no matter how small or unimportant the occasion for the speech may seem to be, or how inconvenient the timing might be for their schedule. Like the Cairo speech last week-NBC wasn't going to cut out Matt and Meridith to cover what was a very important speech.

My main complaint about FOX is that they over-produce things and add camera effects that make me dizzy.

I also loathe Sean Hannity. I think he's dumb, among other things.

Milly
06-09-2009, 09:57 AM

Nice to know I'm not the only one who can't stand Hannity. Beck is an entertainer first and has found his niche, and I watch O'Reilly for the guests.

The only commentator I watch on other channels is Lou Dobbs.

I'm about burned out on all of them, though. How much bad news can a person take?

Shannon
06-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Nice to know I'm not the only one who can't stand Hannity. Beck is an entertainer first and has found his niche, and I watch O'Reilly for the guests.

The only commentator I watch on other channels is Lou Dobbs.

I'm about burned out on all of them, though. How much bad news can a person take?

I don't mind Hannity. I don't watch his show but I listen to him on the way home. I love Beck but have never seen his show. I tuned in to the Rachel Maddow a few wekks ago.:eek: That will never happen again.

I'm content to just listen to Rush three hours a day. He at least makes me laugh while he's giving me the bad news.

Rockntractor
06-09-2009, 06:45 PM
I don't mind Hannity. I don't watch his show but I listen to him on the way home. I love Beck but have never seen his show. I tuned in to the Rachel Maddow a few wekks ago.:eek: That will never happen again.

I'm content to just listen to Rush three hours a day. He at least makes me laugh while he's giving me the bad news.
You can't go wrong with Rush!

Rockntractor
06-09-2009, 06:50 PM
I watch some shows on FOX News, if nothing else is on. O'Reilly can be entertaining and he gets some good guests on his show. Glenn Beck is amusing because he is so overly dramatic, and possibly unstable. FOX usually covers presidential speeches live, no matter how small or unimportant the occasion for the speech may seem to be, or how inconvenient the timing might be for their schedule. Like the Cairo speech last week-NBC wasn't going to cut out Matt and Meridith to cover what was a very important speech.

My main complaint about FOX is that they over-produce things and add camera effects that make me dizzy.

You think Glenn Beck is unstable because the left media tells you he is unstable. You belive it because you are a good little liberal. Shawn Hannity is just to predictable. Republican 101.

PoliCon
06-09-2009, 07:55 PM
I also loathe Sean Hannity. I think he's dumb, among other things. so dumb he's making MILLIONS off a TV and radio empire only eclipsed by Rush. :rolleyes: Funny that the ooooo so smart lefties just can't seem to compete with stupid Sean Hannity . . . .:rolleyes:

thinker
06-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Not to throw a wrench in your observation, but any Hollywood star/let worth naming is worth plenty more than the average American and as a general rule has complete sh*t for brains. Money and intelligence do not automatically go hand and hand in this country, and haven't for a long time. They can, but they don't have to.

PoliCon
06-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Not to throw a wrench in your observation, but any Hollywood star/let worth naming is worth plenty more than the average American and as a general rule has complete sh*t for brains. Money and intelligence do not automatically go hand and hand in this country, and haven't for a long time. They can, but they don't have to. There is a difference between making a living off your looks and another off giving people information. EITHER WAY - the soooo smart lefties can't seem to figure out how to make a decent talk radio show but "stupid" Sean Hannity has.

NJCardFan
06-10-2009, 12:12 AM
Not to mention what Hannity and O'Reilly do for charity. They're such awful people. Exactly what charities does Olbermann have?

PoliCon
06-10-2009, 12:15 AM
Not to mention what Hannity and O'Reilly do for charity. AND RUSH. :p Don't forget Rush.

OH and lets not forget what AIR AMERICA did for charity . . . . :rolleyes:

NJCardFan
06-10-2009, 12:17 AM
AND RUSH. :p Don't forget Rush.

OH and lets not forget what AIR AMERICA did for charity . . . . :rolleyes:
Air America it it's own charity, isn't it?

megimoo
06-10-2009, 12:18 AM
Fox News Watchers = Hatecrime

PoliCon
06-10-2009, 12:29 AM
Air America it it's own charity, isn't it?

remember what Air America did to a Boys & Girls club in NY? if not - google it.

CueSi
06-10-2009, 02:24 AM

Or Red Eye on Fox. . .I highly recommend it. It's on VERY late at night (3 A.M) , so those of you who TiVo are at an advantage here. It's highly irreverent but still with a fun mix of guests (how else would I have discovered Rep. Thaddeus McCotter, and nourished my crush on Andrew Breitbart?!?) and informative commentary. Then follow it up with a re-broadcast of Special Report (also I think one of the best shows on Fox, though I fell in love with it b/c Of Brit Hume, who is THE MAN!).

Oh, and I like the pulpy sweetness of Huckabee. I can't help it... he reminds me of a younger version of my American Military History professor , who was the ULTIMATE Southern Gentleman.

~QC

NJCardFan
06-10-2009, 11:54 AM
remember what Air America did to a Boys & Girls club in NY? if not - google it.

Holy crap! I never knew this. I wonder why?:rolleyes: I heard plenty about Rush's issues with prescription pain killers but not this. No wonder why this station is a failure. And Franken didn't know about it. Riiiigggghhhhtttt. Does anyone know if Colman used this against Franken?

PoliCon
06-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Holy crap! I never knew this. I wonder why?:rolleyes: I heard plenty about Rush's issues with prescription pain killers but not this. No wonder why this station is a failure. And Franken didn't know about it. Riiiigggghhhhtttt. Does anyone know if Colman used this against Franken?

well of course it was back paged and under played!

hazlnut
06-10-2009, 02:16 PM

No doubt. Tom Sawyer, The Spirit of Radio, Freewill, 2112... all great rock anthems.;)

patriot45
06-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Hannity is a great American! You cannot sway him from conservative talking points :D, thats the way I like it!
I like the part of his show where they do the Liberal translation! And his all American panel is always fun too.

Odysseus
06-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Amazing. I never thought I'd see blind ideology trump real-life marketing in the entertainment industry.

News busters (http://newsbusters.org/blogs/p-j-gladnick/2009/06/07/cnn-co-founder-high-fox-news-ratings-caused-anger)
Didn't you see the anti-war movies that Hollywood lost millions on in the last few years?

I think you're absolutely right.

After the election, I started tuning into FNC more often--I wanted a different perspective. And I got it, in spades, as it were.
Refreshing, isn't it?

I've sort of settled on some FNC shows that I like and think are not overly partisan. So I am definitely part of the upsurge. How long will it last? I have no idea? I know that Hannity and Beck definitely play to peoples frustrations and I'm not always sure that's a healthy thing. When venting turns to a criminal act like Scott Roeder, then we have a problem.
Tell me that you aren't equating Scott Roeder with Hannity and Beck. That's an apallingly cheap shot, not to mention a blatantly false analogy.

Not to mention what Hannity and O'Reilly do for charity. They're such awful people. Exactly what charities does Olbermann have?
He's single-handedly propping up MSNBC's ratings. If that isn't charity, what is?

thinker
06-11-2009, 12:17 AM

He's single-handedly propping up MSNBC's ratings. If that isn't charity, what is?

Zing! :D