PDA

View Full Version : HIV Infection Rate...Leveling Off?

AHeneen
06-09-2009, 01:49 PM
...at least in South Africa. Of course, no mention of the $19 billion Bush sent to Africa to fight AIDS from 2003-2008, or the $48 billion more authorized last July to continue the program for the next 5 years.

HIV in South Africa 'levels off'
BBC News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8091489.stm)

South Africa's HIV epidemic has levelled off at an infection rate of 10.9% for those aged two or older, according to a new study.
The survey also suggests the rate of infection in children and teenagers could be falling.
This could be partly attributed to increased use of condoms, it says.
But the survey warned that the overall situation remained "dire". South Africa has the world's largest HIV-positive population, at 5.5 million.
Women aged between 20 and 34 continued to be the worst affected, with 33% carrying HIV, the report by the Human Sciences Research Council said.
Olive Shisana, an author of the study of 20,826 people released on Tuesday, said there were "promising findings of a changing pattern of HIV infection among children and youth".
"The good news is that the change in HIV prevalence in children is most likely attributable to the successful implementation of several HIV-prevention interventions," she said.

Challenges

In children aged 2-14, HIV prevalence had dropped from 5.6% in 2002 to 2.5% in 2008, the report said.
There was also a fall in new infections among teenagers aged 15-19.
The overall level of HIV infection in those aged two and over, at 10.9%, had moved little.
In 2002 the figure was 10.8% and in 2005 11.4%.
Reports of condom use were sharply up among young people.
In 2002 57% of men aged 15-24 said they used a condom at their last sexual encounter - a figure which rose to 87% in 2008.
The figure for women in the same age group rose from 46% to 73%.
"There is clearly light at the end of the tunnel," said Health Minister Aaron Motsoaledi. "There is real light."
However, the survey also listed a series of challenges, including a rise in the number of those who have many sexual partners and an increase in HIV prevalence among 15-49 year-olds in some provinces.
Fraser McNeill, an anthropologist at the London School of Economics who has studied HIV/Aids among South Africa's Venda ethnic group, told the BBC's Focus on Africa programme that the report was "great news" if the statistics were reliable.
But he cautioned that programmes to tackle HIV could run up against cultural obstacles.
"I found ways in which Aids intervention programmes are implemented are counterproductive," he said.
"People on the ground often believe that condoms actually cause Aids, and the women who are involved in the process of Aids education are often framed as vectors of the virus."

noonwitch
06-09-2009, 02:13 PM
There's a sad documentary on HBO about the Agape orphanage in South Africa. It's sad because one of the kids in it dies of AIDS by the end of the movie. All of the children in the orphanage have been orphaned by HIV/AIDS. The orphanage itself was founded by a woman who just started taking in kids when their parents died.

The Agape choir performed at my church a few years ago. They are a talented bunch of kids. I bought their CD (and a copy for my neices), and funds raised by their CD go directly into caring for the kids.

Rebel Yell
06-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Of course, no mention of the $19 billion Bush sent to Africa to fight AIDS from 2003-2008, or the $48 billion more authorized last July to continue the program for the next 5 years.

Of course, that was $67 million pissed away. I'm sorry, I feel for the people there, but it's not our responsibility. We can't afford to pour money into other countries when we're running in a deficit. IMO, that would be a good place to start digging out of this mess. Stop propping up third world countries, and put the money back in the savings account, so to speak.

noonwitch
06-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Of course, that was $67 million pissed away. I'm sorry, I feel for the people there, but it's not our responsibility. We can't afford to pour money into other countries when we're running in a deficit. IMO, that would be a good place to start digging out of this mess. Stop propping up third world countries, and put the money back in the savings account, so to speak.

I would say it's our responsibility in a charitable sense, not in a government aid sense. Church groups and other charities have a responsibility to serve all people who are suffering. The US government doesn't. I'll give money to the Agape Orphanage again. They are worthy of the donation.

Rebel Yell
06-09-2009, 03:55 PM
I would say it's our responsibility in a charitable sense, not in a government aid sense. Church groups and other charities have a responsibility to serve all people who are suffering. The US government doesn't. I'll give money to the Agape Orphanage again. They are worthy of the donation.

That is the way I feel, charity is for people to volunteer their money, not for the gov't to force it on the American people.

FlaGator
06-09-2009, 04:17 PM
That is the way I feel, charity is for people to volunteer their money, not for the gov't to force it on the American people.

It beats a lot of the crap they spend our tax dollars on. I rather see the cash going to help HIV victims in a third world country than being use as bribes to voters so that another do nothing Congress person can get re-elected.

Rebel Yell
06-09-2009, 04:19 PM
It beats a lot of the crap they spend our tax dollars on. I rather see the cash going to help HIV victims in a third world country than being use as bribes to voters so that another do nothing Congress person can get re-elected.

It's a start, though. Then we'll move on to welfare queens and disablity kings. If we'd get the world, including ourselves, off the American tit, we'd be out of this deficit in no time.

FlaGator
06-09-2009, 06:32 PM
It's a start, though. Then we'll move on to welfare queens and disablity kings. If we'd get the world, including ourselves, off the American tit, we'd be out of this deficit in no time.

Considering who is running the White House it looks like America is going need some extra breasts.

Rockntractor
06-09-2009, 07:01 PM
You are right about this one and a good women for helping the kids. Everyone should be as kind as you.

PoliCon
06-09-2009, 08:11 PM
and yet no one is willing to admit what is causing this epidemic or willing to tell people the truth about how to stop it. On the contrary - they have made abstinence a dirty word.

noonwitch
06-10-2009, 01:05 PM
and yet no one is willing to admit what is causing this epidemic or willing to tell people the truth about how to stop it. On the contrary - they have made abstinence a dirty word.

The epidemic in Africa was mostly spread through heterosexual sex. That's why it's been so much more devastating there than here, and why it has affected so many children there. When I was a new worker in 1987, I went to all kinds of training sessions regarding HIV and AIDS. We were expecting huge numbers of HIV+ babies and it never really came about. There were some, mostly born to prostitutes.

PoliCon
06-10-2009, 01:14 PM
The epidemic in Africa was mostly spread through heterosexual sex. That's why it's been so much more devastating there than here, and why it has affected so many children there. When I was a new worker in 1987, I went to all kinds of training sessions regarding HIV and AIDS. We were expecting huge numbers of HIV+ babies and it never really came about. There were some, mostly born to prostitutes.

it was spread through promiscuous sex. Abstain from sex until marriage - and stay faithful - and you really have little to worry about.