PDA

View Full Version : Quotas And Freedom Of Association.

stsinner
06-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Self-segregation? What kind of wanna-be RaHoWa bullshat is this? I don't get why this jackass hasn't been banned yet.

~QC

Not too bright, are you.. I said, "self-segragation.." That means allow the natural wishes of people to live where they want, around those whom they wish to live around, work with the types of people they wish to work with and go to school with the types of people they wish to got to school with..

And you have a problem with this? That in no way is derogatory toward any race, but is more about telling the government to get out of the business of social engineering.

You don't have a problem with the government forcibly busing inner-city kids from under-achieving achools to suburban over-achieving schools just to mix up the races-to the detriment of the kids in the over-achieving schools?

You don't have a problem with the government forcing police and fire departments to hire minorities who did poorly on the qualification test just to more accurately represent the racial makeup of that town? Maybe you could enlighten me as to how having a multi-racial police or fire department benefits a city or town when a segment of the department has demonstrated that they're not the best at what they do and the ones who were the best were passed over in favor of race... Sorry, but when a job involves saving lives, I want the BEST, race aside.

You don't have a problem with colleges denying kids who worked their butts off to get into college because the only spots they have left are reserved for those who didn't work as hard, didn't get the grades to get in on merit, alone, and qualify solely based on skin color? When my son or daughter's eyes need operated on, I don't want a doctor that only got into college because of their skin color-I want the BEST, be it black, white or yellow... Let the cream rise to the top naturally!!

This isn't a white power rant, so don't even start that crap. I'm ranting against racial quotas of any kind and saying that the best at whatever the job is should get the job-I don't care if that results in all-black companies and departments. . When a job needs done we should have the best person doing that job, not someone whose main qualification was their skin color.... Natural selection.. The best-the hard workers and most qualified should get the job, period, no matter their skin color.

Gingersnap
06-12-2009, 10:15 AM
This is an interesting topic. Let's be focused and rational, people. Now, have fun. ;)

Rebel Yell
06-12-2009, 10:19 AM
This is an interesting topic. Let's be focused and rational, people. Now, have fun. ;)

Asking alot, there, ain't ya Ginger?:D

thinker
06-12-2009, 10:36 AM
I happen to live in one of the cities (perhaps even the first) where busing was first made mandatory, by the court system. It's still an issue today; the city just got finished resubmitting a plan that deals with issues raised by a legal action brought by parents on both sides of the issue who were unhappy with how the situation stood circa five years ago.

Self-segregation leads to two things; 1. xenophobia and 2. ignorance. Depending on what direction this thread goes and what kind of response there is, I'll elaborate further on these; for now, considering the OP, that's all the time I'm willing to waste.

noonwitch
06-12-2009, 10:56 AM
Busing led to self-segregation in Detroit. There were other factors affecting the white flight in the 70s, like the 67 "civil disturbances" (how the locals describe the riots). But busing was one of the issues, too.

With Detroit, it was busing within the district. It wasn't busing city kids to the suburbs and vice versa. People who didn't want their kids going to school with black kids moved to the suburbs, where they couldn't be bused.

They talked in Grand Rapids about busing kids from the suburbs to the city. My parents were upset, and it never happened because suburban parents paid taxes to their district, not the Grand Rapids district. If you have state-wide funding without local funding, that same argument can't be made, and it's the best argument against busing.

The mentality behind busing was that if the white kids were bused to traditionally black schools, the standards at that school would rise to meet the standards of the traditionally white schools. It didn't work because of the white flight that occurred as a result.

Now, integration is happening in the Detroit suburbs because middle class blacks are giving up on the city, too. I moved to my area in 2001-it was about 70% white at the time. I'd say it's more like 60% now. Warren is the largest suburb (3rd largest city in the state, we replaced Flint in the 90s). Southfield has been fully integrated for about 20 years, and is a pretty stable part of town with decent schools-not the best schools, but better than average. It's a very expensive place to live, however.

I like living in an integrated area. I don't want to be the only white person in a neighborhood, but I don't want someone else to be the only black person.

stsinner
06-12-2009, 11:06 AM
I like living in an integrated area. I don't want to be the only white person in a neighborhood, but I don't want someone else to be the only black person.

Thanks for the wealth of information.. You are more informed on the issue than most.. My problem is the government getting involved in any capacity. They have no right telling white kids they have to change schools because their school is too white, or taking black kids and plopping them down in an all-white school where they won't feel comfortable. It's all about the government overstepping its bounds.. Any time you try to force people to do something like this the result is a net-negative..

Gingersnap
06-12-2009, 11:11 AM
The mentality behind busing was that if the white kids were bused to traditionally black schools, the standards at that school would rise to meet the standards of the traditionally white schools. It didn't work because of the white flight that occurred as a result.

Out here it didn't work because busing fractured the social networks. Parents didn't feel like they any say about a school that was 5 or 10 miles away. Local parents didn't want outsiders having any say about the school. The kids who were bussed in were never accepted as part of the community and they never formed friendships and social networks with the local kids. The local kids beat up the outsiders.

And then the outsider parents moved away.

In any case, the idea behind busing was flawed. White kids or Asian kids don't do better in school because they're surrounded by white or Asian kids. They do better in school because a lot of white and almost all Asian parents think education is valuable and they impose negative consequences on their kids when the kids blow off school.

Whites who reject education and the Protestant work ethic are no better off than uneducated blacks.

stsinner
06-12-2009, 11:28 AM
White kids or Asian kids don't do better in school because they're surrounded by white or Asian kids. They do better in school because a lot of white and almost all Asian parents think education is valuable and they impose negative consequences on their kids when the kids blow off school.

That's a very good point, and with 70% of black kids being born to single-mothers today, they're already at a disadvantage because their mother likely has to work two jobs and the kid has no support structure at home.. This is partly why they resort to anti-social behavior at a higher rate than white kids.. Another argument against busing white kids into black schools-safety and class cohesion.. It's a shame, but facts are stubborn things. Having white kids at your school isn't going to help with homework when you go home at night.

All busing does is make the politicians feel better about themselves..

I take a special interest in my son's school work because I want him to succeed. Being black, he's teased when he's in band practice and on the playground because he's one of only a few black kids in his entire school just because of the town we live in. Kids can be cruel. But he's showing them by getting straight A's and B's-much better than some of the other kids in his class who come from much more privileged homes.

There are other reasons that white schools are generally better schools, and it's unfortunate, but generally the property values are higher in white districts, so more property taxes are paid, and this is what funds the schools.. So the schools in white districts have better books, cheaper sports programs, etc.. At least this is the case unless the poorer schools get government grants for these things.

Rebel Yell
06-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Now, integration is happening in the Detroit suburbs because middle class blacks are giving up on the city, too.

Yet, no one frowns on them for getting out of crime ridden neighborhoods.

White family moves to suburbs = they don't want to live around blacks

Black family moves out of same neighborhood = doing what's best for their family.

stsinner
06-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Yet, no one frowns on them for getting out of crime ridden neighborhoods.

White family moves to suburbs = they don't want to live around blacks

Black family moves out of same neighborhood = doing what's best for their family.

Damn clarity! I hate when that happens....

It's not that they don't want to be around blacks, and I don't think that's what you meant. They don't want to live in a high-crime, graffiti-ridden, dirty neighborhood, which, unfortunately, are often dominated by blacks.

The issue is only coincidentally about skin color.. It's about class and socioeconomic situations that lead people to make poor decisions.

I found an awesome article written by a black man and posted it on my forum. I'll migrate it here, because I think it's very well written.

Here's just a snippet:

"....It's time we admitted that three decades of destitution programs, welfare bailouts and affirmative action have hobbled - not helped- America's black underclass. Driving through New York's murky neighborhoods, I thought long and hard about what causes a man to foul his own nest. What encourages him to deface the neighborhood where he lives? What motivates him to throw garbage from his window, or urinate in the elevator in which his children must ride?"

Don't Feed the Blacks (http://web.archive.org/web/20021028233124/www.hamblin.com/articles/feed.html) <--Click me.

CueSi
06-13-2009, 04:27 AM
Not too bright, are you.. I said, "self-segragation.." That means allow the natural wishes of people to live where they want, around those whom they wish to live around, work with the types of people they wish to work with and go to school with the types of people they wish to got to school with..

And you have a problem with this? That in no way is derogatory toward any race, but is more about telling the government to get out of the business of social engineering.

You don't have a problem with the government forcibly busing inner-city kids from under-achieving achools to suburban over-achieving schools just to mix up the races-to the detriment of the kids in the over-achieving schools?

You don't have a problem with the government forcing police and fire departments to hire minorities who did poorly on the qualification test just to more accurately represent the racial makeup of that town? Maybe you could enlighten me as to how having a multi-racial police or fire department benefits a city or town when a segment of the department has demonstrated that they're not the best at what they do and the ones who were the best were passed over in favor of race... Sorry, but when a job involves saving lives, I want the BEST, race aside.

You don't have a problem with colleges denying kids who worked their butts off to get into college because the only spots they have left are reserved for those who didn't work as hard, didn't get the grades to get in on merit, alone, and qualify solely based on skin color? When my son or daughter's eyes need operated on, I don't want a doctor that only got into college because of their skin color-I want the BEST, be it black, white or yellow... Let the cream rise to the top naturally!!

This isn't a white power rant, so don't even start that crap. I'm ranting against racial quotas of any kind and saying that the best at whatever the job is should get the job-I don't care if that results in all-black companies and departments. . When a job needs done we should have the best person doing that job, not someone whose main qualification was their skin color.... Natural selection.. The best-the hard workers and most qualified should get the job, period, no matter their skin color.

I like the way you went for my intellect first.

1) It's self segregation.... If it's voluntary, your post contradicted itself: it implied you imposing it on people you disagree with.

2) Self-segregation requires all members of a group to agree and act as one. I thought we were against collectivism here.

3) I was one of those kids who was bussed from a poor area to a better one via the magnet program. It saved me, giving me resources to succeed academically. You want to end that? That makes you no worse than the liberals who aim to cut vouchers based on religion.

I'll be honest and say your past marks you as suspect.

~QC

MrsSmith
06-13-2009, 07:09 AM
Vouchers would be cheaper than busing, and work better to desegregate- williingly, because the attitude of the parents does have an effect on a kid's education. Those who care and can't afford to move could send their kids to better schools. I would hope that it could be arranged that kids who care, without the assistance of parents, could also manage to attend better schools.

In the real world, segregation is chosen, not forced...except by economic forces, not racial forces. Poor people of any race will congregate in neighborhoods with lower rent, and wealthier people of any races will congregate in wealthier neighborhoods. For the government to "fix" that would be a massive intrusion into freedom. Hopefully, even the Dims are smarter than that...

Gingersnap
06-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Vouchers would be cheaper than busing, and work better to desegregate- williingly, because the attitude of the parents does have an effect on a kid's education.

I love vouchers. My beloved but hippyish SIL and I go at this issue from time to time. She's a public school teacher. Privately and after a couple glasses of wine she will admit that parents make the biggest difference in a kid's school success but she's 100% against vouchers.

She fears that if vouchers were common, only neglected kids or kids with big time learning disabilities would be in public schools. That might be true but so what?

MrsSmith
06-13-2009, 02:10 PM
I love vouchers. My beloved but hippyish SIL and I go at this issue from time to time. She's a public school teacher. Privately and after a couple glasses of wine she will admit that parents make the biggest difference in a kid's school success but she's 100% against vouchers.

She fears that if vouchers were common, only neglected kids or kids with big time learning disabilities would be in public schools. That might be true but so what?

It's better to have public education take care of the few instead of having it destroy the many.

Parent's attitude have a lot to do with a kid's school success, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's the biggest difference. I have 5 kids, and my attitude toward their education has been fairly equal through the years. I've had my kids in 9 different school systems. When the school cares about my child's learning, we work together and my kids learned well. When it didn't, I didn't always have enough influence to force my kid to learn the things the school ignored...especially with the child I'm now sure is dyslexic.

If public schools ended up with all neglected and special needs kids, maybe teacher's colleges would start training teachers to recognise and work around and with learning disabilities and personalities instead of ASSuming that every kid will learn the same way. :mad:

hazlnut
06-13-2009, 05:32 PM

Another thread where you're trying to convince us all of how tolerant you are, and succeed in doing the exact opposite.

Here's my wish: To live around American's who love their kids and love their country. Everything else is just window dressing.

Our differences are what defines us as individuals. Understanding and appreciating those differences improves and enriches our lives.

No, you're trying to have your cake and eat it too. You make general assumptions about people based on skin color. They don't belong here, because they didn't earn it. I say get to know a person, hear their story before you make that assumption.

Even the best solutions have a downside--law of unintended consequences. Nobody supports something that is broken. But if you think that what you call 'social engineering' gives a person unfair access to education, jobs, and upward mobility in society--let me introduce you to the blue bloods. The old money. The idiot sons of multi-millionaires who skate to a six-figure position right out of school.

Tell you what, let's you and I play Monopoly sometime. But I get to start with 10x as much money as you and I get my pick of properties. Also, any role of the die I don't like, bad grades, DUI, drug rehab, I get to take back because that's what money buys-- loaded dice.

And it's not always the wealthily. If your father is longshoreman in L.A. harbor, you are almost guaranteed a six-figure salary before you're 25. You can be a total fuck-up, barely graduate high school, smoke as much weed as you like, and you're still in the club. L.A. harbor, the biggest harbor in the country, is run by the idiot sons of idiot sons. 3-day work week, $400,000. Those jobs are passed on like the family jewels. How's that for natural selection?

stsinner
06-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Another thread where you're trying to convince us all of how tolerant you are, and succeed in doing the exact opposite.

Here's my wish: To live around American's who love their kids and love their country. Everything else is just window dressing.

Our differences are what defines us as individuals. Understanding and appreciating those differences improves and enriches our lives.

No, you're trying to have your cake and eat it too. You make general assumptions about people based on skin color. They don't belong here, because they didn't earn it. I say get to know a person, hear their story before you make that assumption.

Even the best solutions have a downside--law of unintended consequences. Nobody supports something that is broken. But if you think that what you call 'social engineering' gives a person unfair access to education, jobs, and upward mobility in society--let me introduce you to the blue bloods. The old money. The idiot sons of multi-millionaires who skate to a six-figure position right out of school.

Tell you what, let's you and I play Monopoly sometime. But I get to start with 10x as much money as you and I get my pick of properties. Also, any role of the die I don't like, bad grades, DUI, drug rehab, I get to take back because that's what money buys-- loaded dice.

And it's not always the wealthily. If your father is longshoreman in L.A. harbor, you are almost guaranteed a six-figure salary before you're 25. You can be a total fuck-up, barely graduate high school, smoke as much weed as you like, and you're still in the club. L.A. harbor, the biggest harbor in the country, is run by the idiot sons of idiot sons. 3-day work week, $400,000. Those jobs are passed on like the family jewels. How's that for natural selection?

What I'm saying, and let's be clear about this because the Mods told me that people are whining that I'm a racist or a white power sympathizer, RACE SHOULD NOT MATTER WHEN HIRING FOR A JOB OR ADMITTING TO SCHOOL!!!!! It should be merit and merit, alone. What's racist about that? Only coincidentally because of the nature of that statement does it become about race because that means getting rid of affirmative action and racial preferences for jobs and school and making people earn these things. It offends me greatly that society thinks that my son needs a special leg up and isn't capable of getting into college or getting a job on his merit, alone, and will have his skin color considered first and foremost. What colleges are saying if we break it down logically is that it's just understood that certain groups of people aren't capable of getting the grades required of other groups so they'll just go ahead and make special standards and reserve special slots for them. THAT is racism, and it's insulting to the very people its designed to help..

You say I make general assumptions about people based on skin color-quite the contrary-affirmative action makes general assumptions about people with a certain color, does it not?

People get all excited when they think of Martin Luther King and say how wonderfully we've achieved his dream of people not being judged by the color of their skin but on the content of their character, which would be wonderful if it were true that we had achieved this.. Well, I've got news-we've done the exact opposite. The first thing we look at when someone applies for a job or a college slot is skin color and based on your skin color you get put ahead or behind others with a different skin color.. How is that not racist? How the hell am I a racist for saying that people should be treated equally, not matter their race? Those with the best high school grades get the college slots. Those with the college degree and set of skills that are the closest match to the job get the job. Race should be removed from all job applications and school entrance forms.

I didn't say one negative thing about anyone, and said that everyone should be treated equally and not have it pointed out every single day that we're different.

This topic has been very prominent in the news lately with the Connecticut fire-fighters who were denied promotion because the department didn't like the racial make-up of the group that would have gotten promoted. Instead of promoting those that took the test for promotion and passed, they threw the test out completely and promoted no one. Is that fair? Reverse discrimination?

Here's an excerpt and corresponding link:

WASHINGTON -- The Supreme Court appeared divided as it heard arguments over whether a Connecticut city engaged in racial discrimination or was fighting it when officials rejected a fire-department employment test because no blacks passed.

Only whites and one Hispanic qualified for promotion to lieutenant and captain in the New Haven Fire Department. After the civil service board refused to certify the promotions and directed that all applicants take a different test, firefighters who had passed sued, alleging racial discrimination.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124040582229843447.html

Can you see why some might feel that affirmative action may be a double-edged sword? Can you see why it may come up in conversation? You don't have to be racist to read the news, especially with this case, as none other than Judge Sotomayor, Obama's pick for Supreme Court Justice, decided against the white fire-fighters who passed the test getting promoted and agreed to throw the test out instead of promoting anyone.

Regarding your points about rich kids reaping the rewards of their parents' hard work, well, I agree with some of your points and disagree with others.. It's every parents' dream to give their kids a better life than they had, so of someone is brilliant and finds a way to make extraordinary money, then they have every right to make sure their kids have a cushy life. Some parents are more respectable than others and keep an eye on what their kids do and punish them for things such as DUI's and whatnot, but some also just let their kids do whatever they want to do act all sorts of foolish and blow the money an all sorts of irresponsible ways..

If a Kennedy kid gets into college because he's a Kennedy, or Bush gets into Yale because he's a Bush, well I don't like it any more than the next guy, but you can rest assured that they have given considerable sums of money to the endowments and other charities and probably started scholarships and other stuff. At least if kids get money this way it was earned by someone! Funding anything for anyone with tax dollars because their parents weren't so ambitions isn't fair, as it wasn't earned by anyone except the tax payer who had it taken at the end of a gun by the government.

hazlnut
06-13-2009, 07:02 PM
What I'm saying, and let's be clear about this because the Mods told me that people are whining that I'm a racist or a white power sympathizer, RACE SHOULD NOT MATTER WHEN HIRING FOR A JOB OR ADMITTING TO SCHOOL!!!!! It should be merit and merit, alone. What's racist about that? Only coincidentally because of the nature of that statement does it become about race because that means getting rid of affirmative action and racial preferences for jobs and school and making people earn these things.

No, it's the nature of you previous statements. The one's you're trying to distance yourself from.

What you're saying, on the surface, is all very well and good--but it doesn't jive with other things you've said.

It offends me greatly that society thinks that my son needs a special leg up and isn't capable of getting into college or getting a job on his merit, alone, and will have his skin color considered first and foremost. What colleges are saying if we break it down logically is that it's just understood that certain groups of people aren't capable of getting the grades required of other groups so they'll just go ahead and make special standards and reserve special slots for them. THAT is racism, and it's insulting to the very people its designed to help..

It's saying that certain groups of people have advantages that others don't. BTW -- quotas are not used as much as they used to be. So you are upset about something that has undergone a lot of changes and modifications--and even been discontinued.

You say I make general assumptions about people based on skin color-quite the contrary-affirmative action makes general assumptions about people with a certain color, does it not?

How so? It assumes that they are being truthful and accurate on their application.

Also, just for the record, I'm not a supporter of affirmative action quotas. But I fully support public and private financial aide. You got the grades to get in the school. Then I'm happy to help with your tuition.

People get all excited when they think of Martin Luther King and say how wonderfully we've achieved his dream of people not being judged by the color of their skin but on the content of their character, which would be wonderful if it were true that we had achieved this.. Well, I've got news-we've done the exact opposite. The first thing we look at when someone applies for a job or a college slot is skin color and based on your skin color you get put ahead or behind others with a different skin color.. How is that not racist? How the hell am I a racist for saying that people should be treated equally, not matter their race? Those with the best high school grades get the college slots. Those with the college degree and set of skills that are the closest match to the job get the job. Race should be removed from all job applications and school entrance forms.

It seems like you are overgeneralizing the current and past practices.

I didn't say one negative thing about anyone, and said that everyone should be treated equally and not have it pointed out every single day that we're different.

Then why did you start the 'ghetto negro' thread?

Again, I don't know you personally, I can only go by the words in your posts.

And BTW-- Re: The 'ghetto negro' thread. When the peanut gallery (lars, BC, Jfor) all chimed in with their very racist 'grape soda' and 'watermelon' remarks, why didn't you as a non-racist, tolerant person, say: "Hey, whoa fellas, lets not go there." Just out of curiosity?

Jfor
06-13-2009, 07:35 PM
Hazlnut... you are an ass. Plain and simple. It was grape drink and there was NOTHING racist about it. Did I say anything that the white race is best race? No I didn't. Did I say anything about hating people of color just because of their skin color? No I didn't. What i said was a stereotype, which a black man told me when i worked in an area that is considered the ghetto of Birmngham. So get off your liberal high horse feeling guilty about the color of your skin.

Milly
06-13-2009, 07:42 PM
Self-segregation leads to two things; 1. xenophobia and 2. ignorance.

I'm not entirely sure that I agree with you on this one. The question is one of self-segregated by what critirion?

I live in a small (9000) midwestern town and as the economy tanks we are becoming MORE integrated, not less. People seem to be self-segregating on the basis of quality of life, whatever their race.

Recently there's been an influx of folks from the nearest large city by families who want to escape the hell-hole that city is becoming. Nobody cares much that most of them are black, since they come here to partake of the small town life, not change it. These families occupy homes that would otherwise stand vacant, shop at local businesses, send their kids to school here and add to the quality of life for the rest of us.

I have heard of very few incidents of racial tension except for what you'd expect out of middle school kids, and those are stopped very, very severely.

I realize that this isn't the sort of thing you were talking about, but people self-segregating on the basis of value systems IS happening and I see nothing but good in it.

stsinner
06-13-2009, 08:21 PM
And BTW-- Re: The 'ghetto negro' thread. When the peanut gallery (lars, BC, Jfor) all chimed in with their very racist 'grape soda' and 'watermelon' remarks, why didn't you as a non-racist, tolerant person, say: "Hey, whoa fellas, lets not go there." Just out of curiosity?

Because I'm very tolerant about jokes, and those were jokes. Even today I'm being PM'd by the mods to watch my language, but someone called Obama the Magic Negro for the umpteenth time as recently as tonight.. It's a pattern of behavior on here that I'm not going to change, and I might even get a chuckle out of, as they're meant to be funny. (I think) I don't get all bunged up over matters of race like some people do because it gives it more power. A black friend of mine once told me that he doesn't even get upset if someone calls him a ni**er because the word only has power if you give it power by reacting to it. He said that it was even more satisfying to smile and look at the person using the language because, not only was he not harmed by the word as intended, but the person slinging it was infuriated that they look pathetic for the failed attempt. Now, THAT is toleerant, and quite crafty. Sound advice, if you ask me. Plus, I'm not a mod, and it's not my job to police the conversation.. Frankly, I would rather people be allowed to make the jokes and say what they're really thinking, instead of editing themselves..

You say that I'm trying to change my tune and distance myself from my previous comments, well, I haven't changed my tune, but I was warned by the mods to watch myself, so I'm trying to word my points more carefully, as my points, although the same in intent, evidently weren't being taken the right way, even though I thought common sense would prevail if I dealt in facts, alone.. Some people are simply too hypersensitive about race and will try to turn anything into racism, and once that charge is leveled, it's hard to dig out from under.

To say that stereotypes don't exist and that seeing people engaging in certain behaviors doesn't make you think of one race or another is either dishonest for the purpose of being PC or very naive.
My ghetto negro post was a stereotypical opinion post, and for that I apologize. That was shallow of me, and should have been kept to myself.

Rockntractor
06-13-2009, 08:47 PM
In my humble opinion if a person wants to dance on the edge of good taste or does not understand the limits there are places you can go on the interweb that allow whatever fetish you have and then you offend no one. The last forum I was on prefered far less political speech than I was contributing .I got in a childish arguement with a mod and ended up banned. They were about guns and the second ammendment that is what they prefered. political comments were put in an obscure hard to find thread called the politically incorrect thread. It was stupid of me to want them to change the way people did things over there. On Al Gores wonderful interweb there is something for every one. You must try to be wise in choosing and find your niche. I am sure everyone will tell me not to let the door hit me in the ass now.

stsinner
06-13-2009, 09:03 PM
In my humble opinion if a person wants to dance on the edge of good taste or does not understand the limits there are places you can go on the interweb that allow whatever fetish you have and then you offend no one. The last forum I was on prefered far less political speech than I was contributing .I got in a childish arguement with a mod and ended up banned. They were about guns and the second ammendment that is what they prefered. political comments were put in an obscure hard to find thread called the politically incorrect thread. It was stupid of me to want them to change the way people did things over there. On Al Gores wonderful interweb there is something for every one. You must try to be wise in choosing and find your niche. I am sure everyone will tell me not to let the door hit me in the ass now.

What you describe is called intolerance, and I've encountered it several times in forums. Why should one have to go to a forum of a similar theme to discuss a topic, especially one as pervasive and inescapable as race relations? We deal with it every single day. I find it curious that any time race is even mentioned there are people who say, "You sure like to talk about race...." as if it's a subject that can't be discussed more than x number of times in x amount of time or you're obsessed. Gingersnap created this thread using my post, and there is a whole lot that could be said on the topic from all sides, but not if anyone who says anything that someone else finds offensive and whines about is branded a racist.. The thread title involves race, and when you're talking about set-asides and quotas, there MUST be conversation that some will find offensive if you cover all of the pros and cons of the subject material. It's impossible to discuss it openly and honestly and not offend someone or if those who have their antennae up for the slightest bit of negativity guide the conversation.