PDA

View Full Version : Is Letterman toast?

WatersEdge
06-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Yep. Conan O'Brien is much funnier than Letterman, anyway. Always has been.

But Letterman's shocking "joke" about Sarah Palin's daughter cannot be overlooked.

Sarah Palin's winning interview with Matt Lauer is here:
http://yidwithlid.blogspot.com/2009/06/matt-lauer-you-ignorant-slut.html

Dang, man. She gets better looking every time she's on TV. Beautiful woman.
And she bowls over both weasels - Lauer and Letterman - in this interview.

PoliCon
06-12-2009, 12:11 PM
That's not Sarah Palin!

This is Sarah Palin . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE2gE-VVjBI

or at least that's what the media would have you believe and the damnable ignorant voters bought.

stsinner
06-12-2009, 12:18 PM
It's funny how Letterman said that he meant the older daughter and not 14 year old Willow, but Willow was the only daughter who attended the game in question... What a tool.

Gingersnap
06-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Implying that a 14 year old girl is a slut is apparently kind of not okay but implying that an 18 year old girl is a slut is totally okay.

This from a guy whose own son was born out of wedlock. :rolleyes:

Speedy
06-12-2009, 12:24 PM
That's not Sarah Palin!

This is Sarah Palin . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE2gE-VVjBI

or at least that's what the media would have you believe and the damnable ignorant voters bought.

I think that from now on, being the "eloquent" candidate will mean little as will being the "smart" candidate. It is not going to be about who has the smartest teleprompter anymore.

hazlnut
06-12-2009, 02:00 PM
It's funny how Letterman said that he meant the older daughter and not 14 year old Willow, but Willow was the only daughter who attended the game in question... What a tool.

Sara and Todd Palin know damn well the joke was not intended for their 14-year-old. Shame on the Letterman writers for not checking and making sure the entire family was at the baseball game. And shame on the Palin's for calling David Letterman a pervert. You might not think he's funny and the joke that obviously about Bristol, might be in bad taste, but this pretending you don't understand which daughter the joke was directed at is also pretty lame IMO.

The Letterman writer's screwed up. Palin is not the center of their universe and they were not aware that Bristol stayed back in Alaska. David Letterman has never made a joke like that about a 14-year-old in the entire history of his show. He apologized and invited Palin on the show.

SaintLouieWoman
06-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Sara and Todd Palin know damn well the joke was not intended for their 14-year-old. Shame on the Letterman writers for not checking and making sure the entire family was at the baseball game. And shame on the Palin's for calling David Letterman a pervert. You might not think he's funny and the joke that obviously about Bristol, might be in bad taste, but this pretending you don't understand which daughter the joke was directed at is also pretty lame IMO.

The Letterman writer's screwed up. Palin is not the center of their universe and they were not aware that Bristol stayed back in Alaska. David Letterman has never made a joke like that about a 14-year-old in the entire history of his show. He apologized and invited Palin on the show.

I believe Dave attends those writer's meetings and participates. He's responsible for what he says. And it's not OK to talk about an 18 year old girl like that. The young woman messed up----no need to make her the butt of bad jokes.

Of course Palin wouldn't go on the show. She's not a coward, just not willing to be used as a tool to boost his sagging ratings. I think she's made her point and should drop it.

Laura Ingraham said today that Letterman's a cranky old man. Conservatives have more to do than rant about this. Laura relegated Letterman to the abyss of those who should be ignored. I think she's right,.

He was wrong, and hasn't handled it gracefully. Dave should put an end to this by openly admitting he was wrong and apologize. His weasle way out isn't working, except with the mainstream media.

lacarnut
06-12-2009, 02:50 PM

You got your liberal talking points down pat. Letterman is not only a pervert but a scum bag for his vile remarks. FYI, he had a child out of wedlock. You think he would say the same thing about the Obama's or the Clinton's daughters? His unfunny ass would be fired if he did. His hatred of Palin along with lefties in the media is evident.
Plus, the sorry prick did not want Todd to show up for the interview for fear he might have to eat crow or get his ass kicked.

PoliCon
06-12-2009, 03:12 PM
you realize that if this is given a pass by the media and elite types - it means that Barrys two little mistakes are on the table and available for jokes too - right?

noonwitch
06-12-2009, 03:23 PM
I don't think Letterman is toast. I haven't watched him much since he was on NBC, mostly because I am older now and fall asleep earlier. I don't like Conan, never liked Leno, and still miss Johnny (that's how old I am). But Dave has his fans, and his fan base was likely not all that offended by the joke. The only way he's toast is if the network decides it's too much.

I think he meant the target to be Bristol, not Willow. It's still bad taste, but not as bad as making comments about a 14 year old.

megimoo
06-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Sarah Palin Calls for Uprising Against Letterman for Joke About Her Daughter

Palin Says Letterman Explanation That Joke Referred to 18-Year-Old Bristol Palin Is 'Very Convenient'

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin called on the public to rise up in opposition over David Letterman's "degrading" jokes about her daughter this week. In a Friday morning television interview on NBC's "Today" show, Gov. Palin said the late-night comedian's remarks are a "sad commentary on where we are as a culture, as a society, to chuckle and laugh through comments such as he had made the other night, I think is quite unfortunate."

Late night comic's joke about Sarah Palin's daughter spawns a public feud.Letterman's explanation that he was referring to her 18-year-old daughter, Bristol, instead of her 14-year-old daughter, Willow, who accompanied her recently to New York, was met with derision by the governor. She called the remarks a "very convenient excuse" that took him a couple of days to present. "It was a degrading comment about a young woman. I would hope that people really start rising up and deciding it's not acceptable. No wonder young girls especially have such low self-esteem in America when we think it's funny for a so-called comedian to get away with being able to make such a remark as he did and to think that that's acceptable," Palin

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/TheNote/story?id=7822673&page=1

megimoo
06-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Sarah Palin "Letterman Comment About Statutory Rape Of My 14 Year Old"

Sarah Palin "Letterman Joke About Statutory Rape Of My 14 Year Old Willow"

Matt Lauer acts like he's David Letterman's personal attorney in this interview trying to put Sarah Palin in the hot seat for her response rather than for what David said..

All right, lets go back to the archive, February 2008, David Shuster (a lefty) makes a comment about Chelsea Clinton and says that she is being "pimped out in some weird sorta way" by her parents for her role in making telephone calls to superdelegates. Here's Hillary responding:

Palin responds to "so called comedian" David Letterman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKeZ8wgxl8U&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fhotairpundit%2Eblogspot%2Ecom%2F 2009%2F06%2Fsarah%2Dpalin%2Dletterman%2Djoke%2Dabo ut%2Ehtml&feature=player_embedded

http://hotairpundit.blogspot.com/2009/06/sarah-palin-letterman-joke-about.html

Lars1701a
06-12-2009, 03:52 PM

I call bullshit he and his writers knew damn well who was at the park.

Lars1701a
06-12-2009, 03:54 PM
I don't think Letterman is toast. I haven't watched him much since he was on NBC, mostly because I am older now and fall asleep earlier. I don't like Conan, never liked Leno, and still miss Johnny (that's how old I am). But Dave has his fans, and his fan base was likely not all that offended by the joke. The only way he's toast is if the network decides it's too much.

I think he meant the target to be Bristol, not Willow. It's still bad taste, but not as bad as making comments about a 14 year old.

Would you think this of Rush if he had said that about a Dems family? would your buddies on the left give him the benefit of the doubt? Fracking doubt it.

hazlnut
06-12-2009, 03:54 PM
you realize that if this is given a pass by the media and elite types - it means that Barrys two little mistakes are on the table and available for jokes too - right?

Policon:

Don't go there. You were making a lot of sense in that Stsinner thread, I thought. It's not about giving him a pass. It's being logical and acknowledging that, although Willow was the daughter at the baseball game, the joke was obviously not referring to her.

No one's underage children should be targets for jokes. Letterman's writers really stepped in it and screwed up big time and they owe some big apologies for not getting their facts straight about which daughter was at the game. That being said...

Letterman ranks on every politician doing topical light humor. Also, Letterman has never crossed that 'Larry Flynt' if you will, line. Palin's calling him a pervert may wins some points with the base, but as we saw from the last election, that is not enough. She would do better to go on the show and confront him, toy with him, make him squirm and then let it go.

lacarnut
06-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Policon:

Don't go there. You were making a lot of sense in that Stsinner thread, I thought. It's not about giving him a pass. It's being logical and acknowledging that, although Willow was the daughter at the baseball game, the joke was obviously not referring to her.

Why not go there. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. How do you know that these liberal perverts did not intentionally know that it was her 14 year old daughter?. In fact, how did they know she was at the game if they did not see her? Want to explain that. Next time, buy a better crystal ball cause this one is wrong, wrong, wrong.

PoliCon
06-12-2009, 10:52 PM
Policon:

Don't go there. You were making a lot of sense in that Stsinner thread, I thought.I could care less what you think. I'm not here to impress you or any other leftist.

It's not about giving him a pass. But they will anyhow. Letterman isn't going anywhere. The left adores him.

It's being logical and acknowledging that, although Willow was the daughter at the baseball game, the joke was obviously not referring to her. I'm not going to argue with you about who the joke was about - but you're wrong - either way it's irrelevant. IF jokes can be made about Palin's kids - than Barry's kids need to be fair game as well.

No one's underage children should be targets for jokes. I agree. Trouble is - that's not the case. The scions of the m0ssiah will be protected by the same people who giggle and laugh as the children of conservatives are attacked and ridiculed.

I'm going to ignore the anti-conservative diatribe that is the rest of your post. I don't have the patience today for such claptrap.

hazlnut
06-12-2009, 11:18 PM
I could care less what you think. I'm not here to impress you or any other leftist.
But they will anyhow. Letterman isn't going anywhere. The left adores him.
I'm not going to argue with you about who the joke was about - but you're wrong - either way it's irrelevant. IF jokes can be made about Palin's kids - than Barry's kids need to be fair game as well.
I agree. Trouble is - that's not the case. The scions of the m0ssiah will be protected by the same people who giggle and laugh as the children of conservatives are attacked and ridiculed.

I'm going to ignore the anti-conservative diatribe that is the rest of your post. I don't have the patience today for such claptrap.

I was trying to tell you that, based on some other posts, I thought you were above that. But if you now feel that making inappropriate jokes about President Obama's daughters is justified, then have at it.

PoliCon
06-12-2009, 11:34 PM
I was trying to tell you that, based on some other posts, I thought you were above that. But if you now feel that making inappropriate jokes about President Obama's daughters is justified, then have at it.
Dude - jokes on you.
amazing that you will defend letterman but I define Barry's kids with his own terminology - and I'm making inappropriate jokes about his daughters?

noonwitch
06-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Would you think this of Rush if he had said that about a Dems family? would your buddies on the left give him the benefit of the doubt? Fracking doubt it.

I'm not responsible for what everyone on the left says, I'm only responsible for what I say.

I didn't say Letterman's comments were okay, I just said that I believed him when he said he meant Bristol, not Willow. It's still a joke in bad taste.

If Rush made those comments about a democrat's kid, well it would depend on the kid. It would be wrong to say that about Obama's little girls, but not so much about Gore's daughter, who is all grown up and has gotten into some trouble (for smoking pot, if I remember correctly).

lacarnut
06-15-2009, 10:34 AM
I didn't say Letterman's comments were okay, I just said that I believed him when he said he meant Bristol, not Willow.

).

Why would you believe that. Someone from the network had to see Palin and her daughter at the ball game. Anyone with half a brain can tell the difference between the 2 daughters. Note, Willow is very SMALLl compared to her sister. So I call your statement bull shit and letterman or his writers comments an out right lie.

WatersEdge
06-15-2009, 10:40 AM
Conan is now "King of Late Night TV", and rightfully so.
Letterman made two stupid comments (the "sluty" Flight Attendent line and about their 14 year-old daughter). Letterman's ratings have nosedived, and rightfully so.

"Letterman's lower number comes after headline-making jokes about Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's daughter.

Though overnight household ratings (which measure approximate overall viewership) have grown tighter between the two programs since O'Brien took over "The Tonight Show," newly released adult demo numbers portray last week's competition as an NBC blowout.

The advertiser-coveted adults 18-49 ratings give O'Brien a 2.3 average rating last week -- the highest-rated week for "Tonight" in more than four years and a 156% margin over CBS' "Late Show."

Even excluding the high-rated Monday premiere, "Tonight" held an 111% advantage over "Late Show," marking the best percentage advantage over the CBS program in more than 10 years. Even on their closest night, Friday, O'Brien received a 1.5 rating to Letterman's 0.8.

The numbers helped push “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon” to its highest weeklong demo rating yet (1.0), with a 67% margin over CBS’s “Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson." Also, "Last Call with Carson Daly" delivered its biggest rating (0.6) since 2007.

NBC issued a press release declaring O'Brien "The New King of Late Night."

Quoted from HERE (http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/06/conan-obrien-regains-lead-palin-letterman.html)

WatersEdge
06-15-2009, 10:51 AM
I'm not responsible for what everyone on the left says, I'm only responsible for what I say.
--True. Too bad the leftist media and liberal Dims such as Letterman, Garafalo, Mayer, Maines, etc. have never taken responsibility for the bile they spew out.Too bad Reid, Klintoon, Pelosi, Kerry, JohnBoy and TeddyBoy have never copped to their ridiculous comments or antics, either. Same goes for Liberal educators and all others with any influence who have, and are, weakening America.