PDA

View Full Version : Women More Likely to Be Democrats, Regardless of Age

Gingersnap
06-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Women More Likely to Be Democrats, Regardless of Age

Women from 18 to 85 are more Democratic than men of the same ageby Frank Newport
PRINCETON, NJ -- A new Gallup analysis of almost 150,000 interviews conducted from January through May of this year sheds new light on the substantial gender gap that exists in American politics today. Not only are women significantly more likely than men to identify as Democrats, and less likely to identify as independents, but -- with only slight variation -- this gap is evident across all ages, from 18 to 85, and within all major racial, ethnic, and marital-status segments of society.

A recent Gallup analysis confirmed the existence of a fundamental gender gap in American political party identification today, although the exact nature of that gap has varied over recent years. The major distinction in political party identification today seems to revolve around the percentage of each gender who identify as Democrats versus independents; men and women have been similar in terms of identification with the Republican Party this year.

In the current analysis of 149,192 Gallup Poll Daily tracking interviews conducted in January through May of this year, 41% of women identify as Democrats, some nine points higher than the 32% of men who identify as Democrats. The 34% of men in this sample who are independents can be contrasted with the smaller 26% of women who are independents. There is little difference by gender in terms of identification as Republicans -- 28% of men are Republicans, compared to 25% of women.

Overall, the data confirm that men currently have a much more even distribution of party identification than do women. The range across the three partisan groups for men is just 6 points, from a low of 28% identifying as Republicans to a high of 34% identifying as independents. On the other hand, the range for women is a much larger 16 points, from 25% Republican to 41% Democratic.

(snip)

Implications

Although the existence of a gender gap in American politics has been well established, the very large sample sizes available with Gallup Poll Daily tracking allow for a more-detailed-than-normal examination of the nature of gender differences. The remarkable finding is that women of all ages are more Democratic in orientation than are men of the same ages, and that women of all ages are also less likely than men of the same ages to be independent. (The differences by age in the percentage identifying as Republican are much smaller.)

This means that whatever forces are at work that determine party identification in America today -- socialization, cultural patterns, social position, social status, and life orientation -- are already in place by the time young men and women reach the age of 18. And, these same patterns seem to have affected or are currently affecting men and women in their 80s in a similar fashion. The fact that the gender gap persists not only across age groups, but within major racial, ethnic, and marital-status groups reinforces the conclusion that a gender difference in political orientation is a fundamental part of today's American political and social scene.

Unsurprising news. Women still feel as though they have to rely on a "partner" for security. In a hook-up world this partner is the government.

Gallup (http://www.gallup.com/poll/120839/Women-Likely-Democrats-Regardless-Age.aspx)

Speedy
06-12-2009, 12:47 PM
Everyday, my belief that men are smarter than women from birth until the day they die is validated.

Shannon
06-12-2009, 01:15 PM
People were always stunned, especially when I was a single mom, that I didn't take govt. handouts or vote Democrat. They just couldn't wrap their brains around it.:rolleyes:

Speedy
06-12-2009, 01:20 PM
People were always stunned, especially when I was a single mom, that I didn't take govt. handouts or vote Democrat. They just couldn't wrap their brains around it.:rolleyes:

Just cause you are smarter than most women, does not mean you are as smart as men.:D

Shannon
06-12-2009, 01:21 PM
Just cause you are smarter than most women, does not mean you are as smart as men.:D

You're begging for it today, aren't you? You're lucky I'm at work.:p

Speedy
06-12-2009, 01:32 PM
You're begging for it today, aren't you? You're lucky I'm at work.:p

You know what they say about a battle of wits...

If you are a woman going up against a man, you already lost.

stsinner
06-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Unsurprising news. Women still feel as though they have to rely on a "partner" for security. In a hook-up world this partner is the government.

Gallup (http://www.gallup.com/poll/120839/Women-Likely-Democrats-Regardless-Age.aspx)

I'm glad you said it, because I was having trouble wording it without sounding misogynistic.. I think that traditionally women are followers, not leaders, because of men always being in protective mode when it comes to them.. And that's not derogatory, or meant to be, anyway.. I, personally, like a girly-girl who leans on me-as long as she's not a Liberal... :) Again, not ALL... There are plenty of brilliant and strong women in the world, but many also feel just peachy about being taken care of. Gives us men a purpose in life..

That's called pride! Usually the result of a sound upbringing.