PDA

View Full Version : Woman shoots self at busy east Orange Florida gun range .

megimoo
06-14-2009, 11:38 PM
Woman shoots self at busy east Orange gun range [FLA]

Another woman shot herself at a Central Florida gun range Saturday in a suicide attempt, authorities said.

The woman rented a handgun and filled out paperwork indicating she had no mental-health problems, wasn't on drugs and had no other conditions or situations to preclude her from shooting safely, said John Ritz, manager of the east Orange County range. Like other customers, she also was read the safety rules.

The shooting happened about 12:30 p.m. at East Orange Shooting Sports on Gardner Street, east of Winter Park. There was a suicide there several years ago.

"It's a horrible, tragic event," Ritz said.
He said he had heard that the woman shot herself in the head but was expected to live.

It was the third self-inflicted shooting at a Central Florida gun range since April 5, when an Altamonte Springs woman killed her son and herself at Shoot Straight in Casselberry. A 26-year-old man committed suicide at the same range on April 27.

In Saturday's incident, the woman, whose name was not released, came in alone, rented a handgun and shot herself. Four staff members and at least five customers were in the building, Ritz said. One employee was working with another customer three feet away at the time, he said.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/orl-bk-shooting-range-attempted-suicide-061409,0,1772757.story

lacarnut
06-14-2009, 11:45 PM
I don't know if it is such a good idea to rent out hand guns. Just strikes me as strange.

Rockntractor
06-14-2009, 11:54 PM
I don't know if it is such a good idea to rent out hand guns. Just strikes me as strange.
Whenever I hear of something like this it saddens me but I'm also relieved when they don't take others with them.

Lars1701a
06-15-2009, 12:12 AM
Just goes to prove what selfish assholes these people are, you know they are going to get sued (gun ranges) over this. They dont give a shit that they could ruin someones business. If you want to off yourself do it where you cant hurt anyone or fuck up anyone lives.

megimoo
06-15-2009, 12:22 AM
Just goes to prove what selfish assholes these people are, you know they are going to get sued (gun ranges) over this. They dont give a shit that they could ruin someones business. If you want to off yourself do it where you cant hurt anyone or fuck up anyone lives.I guess its human nature not to wan't to die alone.

Rockntractor
06-15-2009, 12:50 AM
I guess its human nature not to wan't to die alone.
I think in the back of these peoples minds there is a hope that they matter and someone will try to stop them at the last minute. To commit suicide you have to overide every survival instinct you have. On a concious level you may want to die but subconciously the will to survive continues.

AHeneen
06-15-2009, 02:51 AM
What's all the comments about? This did happen in Florida after all (even says that in the title!)...

FlaGator
06-15-2009, 09:20 AM
Just goes to prove what selfish assholes these people are, you know they are going to get sued (gun ranges) over this. They dont give a shit that they could ruin someones business. If you want to off yourself do it where you cant hurt anyone or fuck up anyone lives.

I suspect that if a person is planning on committing suicide they are dealing with concerns far greater than who is and isn't going to be sued.

megimoo
06-15-2009, 11:27 AM
I think in the back of these peoples minds there is a hope that they matter and someone will try to stop them at the last minute. To commit suicide you have to overide every survival instinct you have. On a concious level you may want to die but subconciously the will to survive continues.It's the ultimate 'look at poor little me I just killed myself and you'll be sorry when you have to clean up the mess !'

Rockntractor
06-15-2009, 11:30 AM
It's the ultimate 'look at poor little me I just killed myself and you'll be sorry when you have to clean up the mess !'
In a nutshell.

lacarnut
06-15-2009, 12:30 PM
Whenever I hear of something like this it saddens me .

Me too. I had a friend whose father did that. He went into a shell and it took him many years to get over it.

Rockntractor
06-15-2009, 12:49 PM
Glenn Becks mother commited suicide.

Gingersnap
06-15-2009, 12:55 PM

Of course it's a good idea! Try before you buy! That would be like saying tall bridges aren't a good idea. Suicidal people will always find a way, sadly.

lacarnut
06-15-2009, 02:04 PM
Of course it's a good idea! Try before you buy! That would be like saying tall bridges aren't a good idea. Suicidal people will always find a way, sadly.

I guess so. It has been many years since my last and only visit to an indoor range. Plus, I don't remember if they rented or sold guns there. I shot my 380 & 38 and had to buy additional ammo.

stsinner
06-15-2009, 02:19 PM
It says that it wasn't successful-that means that this nut case will continue to burden those around her with her misery. I doubt any of the reasons for her failed attempt have changed drastically so as to deter another attempt and traumatize more people the next time.. I say bring back the asylums.. Anyone ever considered that one? We've eliminated asylums where crazy crackpots used to be contained citing budgets and human rights, so now those people are roaming among us...

....And posting on DU... :)

Shannon
06-15-2009, 02:32 PM
This is like the 3rd incident in just a few months around here. Strange.

Rockntractor
06-15-2009, 02:43 PM
This is like the 3rd incident in just a few months around here. Strange.
Don't go out in public. You are frightening people.

Shannon
06-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Don't go out in public. You are frightening people.

I don't go to the gun ranges.:rolleyes:

FlaGator
06-15-2009, 02:54 PM
It says that it wasn't successful-that means that this nut case will continue to burden those around her with her misery. I doubt any of the reasons for her failed attempt have changed drastically so as to deter another attempt and traumatize more people the next time.. I say bring back the asylums.. Anyone ever considered that one? We've eliminated asylums where crazy crackpots used to be contained citing budgets and human rights, so now those people are roaming among us...

....And posting on DU... :)

Because someone attempts suicide doesn't meant that they are "a nut case." I just means that the pain that they are going through seems so bad to them that death seems like the best way to alleviate it. I'm not talking about the attention seekers, they very well could be nut cases. For the seriously depressed, however, the pain is emotional but every bit as real as the pain from lossing an arm again and again for months or even years.

camnchloe
06-16-2009, 05:27 PM
I just happen to come across this discussion by accident and find it very disheartening. The woman in the new story happens to be my friends sister and if she saw what you were saying I don't think it would help her get through it any easier. I just think you should have more compassion and realize you don't know who this is or what they were going through. These are good people, some of the best I've met and noone has the right to say anything about them. If it were your family, your sister you wouldn't want anyone to talk about them either.

Rockntractor
06-16-2009, 07:52 PM
I just happen to come across this discussion by accident and find it very disheartening. The woman in the new story happens to be my friends sister and if she saw what you were saying I don't think it would help her get through it any easier. I just think you should have more compassion and realize you don't know who this is or what they were going through. These are good people, some of the best I've met and noone has the right to say anything about them. If it were your family, your sister you wouldn't want anyone to talk about them either.
I think if you reread all the posts in this thread you will see that many had compassion others are angered by it. When you kill yourself or any one else it is murder and sad as it is you won't get a pat on the back. Many people are affected by suicide Iv'e known more than one person that lost a parent. I lost a girl friend to it when I was younger. The hardest part was I was the one that found her and I had to tell her parents . You shouldn't make snap judgements of people on this forum without knowing them. Welcome to this forum and I hope you post again under different circumstances

stsinner
06-16-2009, 08:05 PM
Because someone attempts suicide doesn't meant that they are "a nut case." I just means that the pain that they are going through seems so bad to them that death seems like the best way to alleviate it. I'm not talking about the attention seekers, they very well could be nut cases. For the seriously depressed, however, the pain is emotional but every bit as real as the pain from lossing an arm again and again for months or even years.

I hear ya on the point, but this person's choice of doing it seems like a way to draw very negative attention to gun ranges/gun laws and she had to have known that doing it in front of the other patrons could scar them for life..

stsinner
06-16-2009, 08:10 PM

I've never been one to succumb to the-change your morals and thoughts because I know someone like that, or my brother is gay, etc...

This was obviously a troubled person, but she could have traumatized many more than just herself by this attention-whoring.. I advocate sleeping pills in the privacy of one's own home if one is to off them self, but to do it this way and make a public spectacle of it isn't the best way to gain sympathy.. And now she has a gunshot wound to disfigure herself and more reason to be depressed..

I'm not saying that I don't feel sympathy or empathy for some who are so troubled as to attempt or actually commit suicide, but I think this was a blow to the 2nd Amendment, and I am inclined to believe that she had to know this.

Gingersnap
06-16-2009, 09:11 PM

You were searching the Internet for references to this event otherwise you would have never simply "come across this discussion". That's your own business, of course. This is a discussion forum and topical stories relating to firearms are a common subject here.

People have every right to discuss items in the news. Remember, every news story involves people who are unknown to the reader and each of those people have private lives. That right to privacy is mitigated by the press.

MrsSmith
06-16-2009, 09:59 PM

Quite a few of us have lost people to suicide, and have we have compassion for those that mourn. That in no way changes the fact that most suicides are monumentally selfish. Nor does it change the fact that we have the right to point that out. If you think this discussion would bother your friends, don't tell them about it. :rolleyes:

patriot45
06-16-2009, 10:06 PM
I hear ya on the point, but this person's choice of doing it seems like a way to draw very negative attention to gun ranges/gun laws and she had to have known that doing it in front of the other patrons could scar them for life..

Bingo!