PDA

View Full Version : "DHS:How to respond to an NRA,Repuke,Christian, Redneck Shooter !"

megimoo
06-15-2009, 10:38 AM
Gun Rights Examiner How Homeland Security says we should respond to active shooters

Courtesy Oleg Volk, A Human RightThe Holocaust Museum shooting reminds us that such things do happen. And the Department of Homeland Security advises us what to do if it does.

Their brochure sure looks professional. Full color, great graphics.

And it sure looks official. There on the front are not one, but two DHS logos. And the National Tactical Officers Association logo. And a patch from the Fairfax County, Virginia Police. Followed by logos for the National Retail Federation and the Retail Industry Leaders Association.

snip
Why don't we flip through it and see?

We start out with a page of references. I guess to bolster the credibility of all those logos. And for some reason, girls with purses are going to lunch. Or something.

Then we get to "MANAGING THE CONSEQUENCES OF AN ACTIVE SHOOTER SITUATION." Great, the meat of the matter:

After the active shooter has been incapacitated and is no longer a threat...

Wait a minute. How did that happen...? Shouldn't this be near the end of the booklet? And what's with the Emergency Numbers? If you hear shots, are you going to be pulling out your DHS flip book? You wouldn't just dial "911" on your cellphone as you get yourself out of there?

Next we have "Indicators of Potential Violence by an Employee."
"Keep Your eyes open watch those Crazy Christians ."

Employees typically do not just “snap,” but display indicators of potentially violent behavior over time.

Fair enough. And I guess it would be unfair to dismiss all indicators, but honestly, some of these are a bit subjective. Having written command media for a variety of industries over the years, I can tell you first hand that I'd be concerned with anyone who didn't show "resistance...to company policies and procedures," particularly most of the nonsense that comes out of HR. And having been subjected to my share of hoplophobia over gun rights, I'm wondering if a casual "Hey Bill, we're going to the gun show this weekend to see if we can get an ammo deal" in the break room might be perceived by some as an "increase in unsolicited comments about firearms."

Come we now to the middle of the booklet. As good a place as any to put the Table of Contents, I suppose. Along with the topic "RECOGNIZING POTENTIAL WORKPLACE VIOLENCE":

An active shooter in your workplace may be a current or former employee, or an acquaintance of a current or former employee. Intuitive managers and coworkers may notice characteristics of potentially violent behavior in an employee.

Seems to me, if he's an active shooter, it ain't "potential" any more. And "intuitive managers and coworkers," along with anyone who isn't deaf or blind, will certainly notice the telltale characteristics of close-range gunfire.

Next we have "Reactions of Managers During an Active Shooter Situation," assuming they go beyond taking care of Number One and getting the hell out of harm's way:

Employees and customers are likely to follow the lead of managers during an emergency situation.

That's apparently because we know he will calmly take immediate action and make sure the building is ADA-compliant. Really. Although I'm surprised it hasn't occurred to anyone that managers might be, you know, targets, and following them may not be such a hot idea.

Ah, here we go: "PREPARING FOR AND MANAGING AN ACTIVE SHOOTER SITUATION."

Glad to see HR and Facilities Management on the job. One can process medical and death benefits, and the other can replace broken windows, patch drywall and bring in the mops and carpet steamers, I suppose.

And that's some helpful "PROFILE OF AN ACTIVE SHOOTER
"Wait,I thought Profiling was bad,oh Its OK against Suspected Conservatives !"

." How would we ever figure out the guy actively shooting is an active shooter without being told? As for "no pattern or method to their selection of victims," tell that to this guy, who "killed his ex supervisor" (what did I just say about managers?), or this guy, who went after his estranged wife, or...

But who am I to argue with the experts? After all, they are telling us the truth in most situations when they say "Typically, the immediate deployment of law enforcement is required to stop the shooting and mitigate harm to victims."

Or the lunatic offs himself.

What's also left unsaid is that at Columbine...well... you look at the timeline. And ditto for Virginia Tech.

So we're cautioned:

Because active shooter situations are often over within 10 to 15 minutes, before law enforcement arrives on the scene, individuals must be prepared both mentally and physically to deal with an active shooter situation.

How are we supposed to be so prepared? What are we supposed to do when all other options to escape have failed us, and it's time to do or die?

As a last resort, attempt to take the active shooter down. When the shooter is at close range and you cannot flee, your chance of survival is much greater if you try to incapacitate him/her.

And how, exactly, are we supposed to do that? Is there a bullet list call out? An HR checklist?

The next page assumes we can evacuate or hide. After telling us to incapacitate the guy. Oh, and we should "Foster a respectful workplace."

No time for that. The monster is shooting people down. Your escape route is cut off. Your makeshift barricade won't last. He'll be on you in seconds. The staff training and exercises conducted by --what's the training guy's tactical credentials again?--haven't prepared you for what to do next. Ah! Here we are! Finally!

3. Take action against the active shooter

As a last resort, and only when your life is in imminent danger, attempt to disrupt and/or incapacitate the active shooter by:

Acting as aggressively as possible against him/her
Throwing items and improvising weapons Yelling "And kiss your ass goodby when he shoots you !"

Committing to your actions
That's it? We can't think of anything else? We got nothin'?

At least the last page of the flip book contains some practical information: How to improve your chances of surviving the rescue.

For a look at an alternative form of "Homeland Security" you may wish to consider, click here.

UPDATE (From commentator "Jon"):

I see what happened -- there's two page numbers at the bottom of each panel. it's one of those things you print off then fold in the middle.

OK, I see it now. So a big "duh" on not getting how the information flowed. That's still nowhere near as boneheaded as the complete avoidance of discussing the best way to stop or repel someone attacking you.
http://www.examiner.com/x-1417-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m6d12-How-Homeland-Security-says-we-should-respond-to-active-shooters