PDA

View Full Version : Best Places in the U.S. to live in for 2009

WatersEdge
06-16-2009, 12:20 PM
"Welcome to Relocate America's TOP100 Places To Live! 2009 marks our twelfth year compiling our annual list of the best places to live in the United States. Relocate America helps home buyers and sellers access relocation resources that make moving easier. The Relocate America team reviews local economy, housing and other essential statistics important to making key real estate buying decisions."

http://top100.relocate-america.com/

Agree or disagree with any listed?

You can even nominate your own city, as well..........

noonwitch
06-16-2009, 01:13 PM
I agree with the three Michigan cities listed-Rochester Hills is a very nice exurb of Detroit, Plymouth is similar, but west of Detroit instead of north. Both have excellent public schools, and pleasant little "village" style shopping districts that magazine writers seem to love.

Hudsonville was a farm town when I was a kid growing up in Grand Rapids, the nearest big city. I drove through it about 6 years ago, when my sister still lived in Holland. It's a very nice area, still has farms and is the home of Hudsonville Ice Cream, which is really good.

I would add Grand Rapids and some of it's immediate suburbs (Kentwood, EGR, Ada, Cascade) to the list. The four suburbs mentioned have some of the best public schools in Michigan, and GR is a very clean city. Not much trash on the streets and the city enforces it's housing codes so the poor don't live in slums. They make good use of green spaces as city parks, and the crime rate is low for a city of 250,000 or so.

You can drive around GR for hours and not find one slum that even comes close to the average Detroit neighborhood-maybe in the Godfry-Lee part of Wyoming (I was a Kentwood kid, we made fun of Wyoming for being "poor white trash"), but I doubt even that is as bad as most of Detroit. I laugh at my mom when she tells me that the Division/Wealthy area is dangerous.

linda22003
06-16-2009, 03:37 PM
I can vouch for Pittsburgh! It's a manageable size, a great restaurant city, has very low property prices (compared to DC), and we love visiting my husband's family there.

hazlnut
06-16-2009, 03:46 PM
Oklahoma City, Tulsa!!

Rockntractor, here I come, man!! Pack up the U-haul!

micmac
06-16-2009, 05:31 PM
Dallas and Ft Worth are great!

PoliCon
06-16-2009, 05:47 PM
I can vouch for Pittsburgh! It's a manageable size, a great restaurant city, has very low property prices (compared to DC), and we love visiting my husband's family there.

:) Pittsburgh is a beautiful city. :) Too damn bad the politics here suck rotten eggs.

noonwitch
06-17-2009, 08:27 AM
:) Pittsburgh is a beautiful city. :) Too damn bad the politics here suck rotten eggs.

I'm still bitter at Pittsburg over Friday night.

Nothing personal, though.

Shannon
06-17-2009, 08:58 AM

Pittsburg sucks. Don't be afraid to say it.

Rockntractor
06-17-2009, 09:52 AM
Oklahoma City, Tulsa!!

Rockntractor, here I come, man!! Pack up the U-haul!

Oh oh!!

RobJohnson
06-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Chicago is on the list. Fun to visit, but not sure if I would want to raise a family there.

Rebel Yell
06-17-2009, 11:37 AM
Valdosta is nice, but Thomasville is nicer.

Valdosta is Titletown USA, though.

ESPN names Valdosta TitleTown USA
By Todd Holcomb | Monday, July 28, 2008, 11:36 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

For years, itís been called Winnersville. Now, the south Georgia town of Valdosta has another name: TitleTown USA, thanks to ESPN.

The cable sports network declared Valdosta the winner of its summer promotion that earlier this month featured the city as one of its 20 finalists for the national award.

Other cities in the running ranged from small town to metropolitan city. It included Boston; Green Bay, Wisc.; and Williamsport, Pa. The only other cities driven mostly by its high school sports tradition was Massillon, Ohio., and Parkersburg, W.V.

<snip>

According to the Valdosta Daily Times, Valdosta High School has won 116 region and state championships, a large chunk of them in football. The Wildcats football team is the nationís all-time winningest program and has 23 state championships.

Lowndes High, the 2007 Class AAAAA football champion, has 94 titles, and Valwood, a private school, has 55. Valdosta State University has won another 40 titles, including the Division II national championships in 2004 and 2007.

PoliCon
06-17-2009, 11:40 AM

Be bitter all you like - it's still beautiful ;)

http://pittsburgh.about.com/library/graphics/pittsburgh_2-800.jpg

ESPECIALLY - compared to Detroit . . . .

http://www.photography-plus.com/images/Detroit/Detroit1.jpg

Gingersnap
06-18-2009, 09:44 AM
Grand Junction is a terrific place - especially for retirees. The weather is much milder than in most of the state and property prices are reasonable. The illegal aliens fear Grand Junction for some reason so it's a low crime town. Castle Rock is very nice. I have some friends who live there and it's sort of a cross between a kind of upscale place yet with a real small town feel.

Highlands Ranch sucks. It's just mile after mile of McMansions and pricey tract houses. It's all controlled by HOAS. The schools are supposedly pretty good but there is absolutely nothing for a teenager to do there. There is also no real public transportation for kids to take somewhere else.

noonwitch
06-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Be bitter all you like - it's still beautiful ;)

http://pittsburgh.about.com/library/graphics/pittsburgh_2-800.jpg

ESPECIALLY - compared to Detroit . . . .

http://www.photography-plus.com/images/Detroit/Detroit1.jpg

Hey, that's a good picture of Detroit, because it only shows the potemkin village that is downtown.

I like that fountain at the tip there in Pittsburg, though, that makes for a cool picture.

linda22003
06-18-2009, 02:57 PM
That view of Three Rivers Point in Pittsburgh is taken from a vantage point in the West End. The West End is not exactly a tony part of town; you can get a view like that from the back porch of a house that costs about $80k, if not less!

Rebel Yell
06-18-2009, 03:05 PM
That view of Three Rivers Point in Pittsburgh is taken from a vantage point in the West End. The West End is not exactly a tony part of town; you can get a view like that from the back porch of a house that costs about $80k, if not less!

Those must be some tall ass houses.:rolleyes:

linda22003
06-18-2009, 03:14 PM
It's not the houses that are tall. Pittsburgh has lots of geological irregularities known as "hills". When you are on top of a "hill", you are at a higher vantage point than you would be on a flat surface. The largest of these "hills" in Pittsburgh is Mount Washington (in the local vernacular, "Mahn Warsh'nin"), and they have inclines, cars that move vertically, up this large "hill".

http://www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org/conference/2004/duquesne_incline.jpg

stsinner
06-18-2009, 03:15 PM
Dallas and Ft Worth are great!

Unchecked illegal immigration will see that this doesn't last...