PDA

View Full Version : Margaritas

Phillygirl
07-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Okay...who has a simple good recipe for these? And do I have to use the triple sec?

Shannon
07-05-2008, 05:02 PM
You don't have to use Triple Sec. It depends on what Margarita you're looking for here.

Phillygirl
07-05-2008, 05:06 PM
You don't have to use Triple Sec. It depends on what Margarita you're looking for here.

I'm looking for the easy one.

Shannon
07-05-2008, 05:08 PM
I'm looking for the easy one.

A basic margarita consists of Tequila , lemon or lime juice and your choice of triple sec (most common), curacao or cointreau.

Phillygirl
07-05-2008, 05:13 PM
A basic margarita consists of Tequila , lemon or lime juice and your choice of triple sec (most common), curacao or cointreau.

So I have to use another liquor besides tequila?

Shannon
07-05-2008, 05:21 PM
So I have to use another liquor besides tequila?

Umm, yeah. Or you could just do straight tequila shots and pretend they're margaritas.

JB
07-05-2008, 05:52 PM
Generally speaking, people usually prepare for their party on any other day than the day of the party itself. Just FYI for the future. :p

Go buy a margarita mix if you have to.

Phillygirl
07-05-2008, 06:15 PM
Generally speaking, people usually prepare for their party on any other day than the day of the party itself. Just FYI for the future. :p

Go buy a margarita mix if you have to.

Yeah, well, um...anywho...

So as it turns out I didn't have tequila either. I now have tequila, triple sec, 7 limes and 2 lemons. What do I do next?

Shannon
07-05-2008, 06:17 PM
Yeah, well, um...anywho...

So as it turns out I didn't have tequila either. I now have tequila, triple sec, 7 limes and 2 lemons. What do I do next?

Seriously?:rolleyes: Do you want frozen or regular?

JB
07-05-2008, 06:19 PM
So as it turns out I didn't have tequila either. I now have tequila, triple sec, 7 limes and 2 lemons. What do I do next?Holy shit this is hilarious.

I'm not telling. Search is your friend or wait until Shannon comes back. Kick.

Phillygirl
07-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Seriously?:rolleyes: Do you want frozen or regular?

Frozen.

Hurry up...company will be here in either 10 or 30 minutes.

Phillygirl
07-05-2008, 06:21 PM
Holy shit this is hilarious.

I'm not telling. Search is your friend or wait until Shannon comes back. Kick.

Oh, come on...I trust you guys more than I trust the latest food network star. What are my proportions? I've got a blender pitcher.

Shannon
07-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Oh, come on...I trust you guys more than I trust the latest food network star. What are my proportions? I've got a blender pitcher.

Jiminy Cricket. It's all about preference. The standard margarita has about 1 1/2 to 2 ounces of tequila. (I lean toward 2 1/2) 1/2 oz. lime juice and 1/2 oz. triple sec. Figure it out and throw some ice in the blender. Unbelievable.

Phillygirl
07-05-2008, 06:44 PM
Jiminy Cricket. It's all about preference. The standard margarita has about 1 1/2 to 2 ounces of tequila. (I lean toward 2 1/2) 1/2 oz. lime juice and 1/2 oz. triple sec. Figure it out and throw some ice in the blender. Unbelievable.

Well, you were too late. So I took one of my half glass thingies (the size glass that you would have scotch in) and filled that about half-way with tequila, then half of that with triple sec, then some grand marnier (I read that somewhere). With 5 of the limes and 1 lemon. It's not too bad!!

megimoo
07-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Well, you were too late. So I took one of my half glass thingies (the size glass that you would have scotch in) and filled that about half-way with tequila, then half of that with triple sec, then some grand marnier (I read that somewhere). With 5 of the limes and 1 lemon. It's not too bad!!
Just put half a lime in your mouth toss a shot of tequila down and chew !

DarkScribe
07-05-2008, 08:34 PM
Here ya go, Philly...should be something simple and easy here:

http://search.foodnetwork.com/food/recipe/margaritas/search.do?searchString=margaritas&site=food&gosearch=&searchType=Recipe

DarkScribe
07-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Just put half a lime in your mouth toss a shot of tequila down and chew !

Poor Man's Margarita?

DarkScribe
07-05-2008, 08:35 PM

Actually, I have heard of using Grand Marnier in margaritas...but it is not traditional or commonly used.

Shannon
07-05-2008, 08:41 PM
Actually, I have heard of using Grand Marnier in margaritas...but it is not traditional or commonly used.

WTH do you know? I have to explain how to make a rum and coke to you.:p

biccat
07-05-2008, 08:57 PM
WTH do you know? I have to explain how to make a rum and coke to you.:p

Four parts rum to one part coke?

Phillygirl
07-06-2008, 10:55 AM
I forgot to put sugar in, so they were very "limey". But not too bad. No thanks to JB!!

megimoo
07-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Biggie Bathtub Margaritas

These recipes will give you a reason to fire up the blender.

Try some of these Margarita recipes, most of which have variations on the classic ingredients of lime, tequila and triple sec.
Frozen Blood Orange Margarita

1/2 cup blood orange juice
2 tablespoons lemon juice (1 lemon)
1 cup Triple Sec
3 cups ice
1 cup white tequila
4 frozen margarita glasses

Combine the blood orange juice, lemon juice, Triple Sec, and ice in a blender and puree until completely blended. Add the tequila and puree for 2 seconds more. Pour the mixture into the frozen margarita glasses and serve.
.................................................. ..
Margarita

Ingredients:
1-1/2 oz. silver tequila
1 oz. Cointreau
1/2 oz. fresh lime juice
splash simple syrup, salt rim
Combine all ingredients in an ice-filled cocktail shaker. Shake until cold and strain into a chilled salt-rimmed glass.
Cranberry Margaritas

Blend the Southwest and the Northeast with this delicious take on the Mexican classic.
Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup cranberry juice
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup fresh frozen cranberries, rinsed
3/4 cup fresh-squeezed lime juice
3/4 cup tequila
1/2 cup Grand Marnier ,ice
Directions:
Mix all the ingredients, except for the ice.
Pour half of the mixture in the blender and fill the rest of the blender with ice. Blend. Repeat with second half of mixture.
Servings: Approximately 2 medium pitchers
Esta Loca Margarita (está loca,It is crazy)

3 parts pomegranate juice
3 parts orange tequila
1 part orange liqueur or Triple Sec, Cointreau
1 part sweet and sour mix
1 1/2 cups ice cubes
Lime wedge, for garnish

Combine all ingredients, except lime, in a pitcher. Stir. Pour into a margarita glass and garnish with lime wedge.
Can also be served on the rocks.

Cold Warrior
07-06-2008, 02:06 PM

Grand Marnier is a substitute, not a complement, for either triple sec or cointreau. They're all orange flavored liquiers, Grand Marnier is more expensive and, some say, a bit more flavorful.

megimoo
07-06-2008, 02:16 PM
I forgot to put sugar in, so they were very "limey". But not too bad. No thanks to JB!!They're supposed to be "limey",that's the whole thing about them !

megimoo
07-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Traditional Margaritas for a non-Margarita crowd
snip
I squeezed 2 cups worth of lime juice, added 1 cup tequila (the gold-colored anjeo commemorativo kind), half a cup of triple sec, a few teaspoons of sugar to counteract the sourness of the lime juice, a bit of pureed ripe honeydew melon to add a fruity note. I churned it in my ice cream maker to freeze it down to a slush. Texture was great. I scooped it into salt-rimmed margarita glasses. The ice-cold melt-off was for sipping while the rest of it stayed semi-frozen.

I used less tequila and triple sec than what my "Boston Official Bartenders Guide" would recommend (They say 1.5 times tequila to the amount of lime juice). Still, I got comments like "How much tequila did you put into this stuff?" "Wow! This is strong!"Personally, I thought they were delicious. They were very tart and tequila-y.

comments:
I actually like it when you can taste the tequila--otherwise it can be too sweet, especially when people use those bottled mixers. Ugh, those are gross. Maybe they were expecting those slurpee machine margaritas?

If you want to play around and try using a high quality triple sec like Cointreau (50% tequila, equal parts cointreau & fresh lime juice), or you try mixing in Grand Marnier, a splash of OJ or try agave nectar/syrup (but not all at at the same time).
CONVERT THE UNENLIGHTENED!!!! seriously though, i make my margaritas with 2oz tequilla, 1 oz triple sec(usually contreau), and 1 oz lime.the idea of putting in more of the other ingredients than the tequilla is just sickning. that said, yours sound very good, especially when you're at a summer cookout sorta thing, where you're cooling off and such. but i really can't stand either bottled mixers, or chain concoctions.
http://www.chowhound.com/topics/323163