PDA

View Full Version : CU Iron Chef!

Gingersnap
06-16-2009, 10:05 PM
You are invited to submit ingredients for a CU Iron Chef Challenge.

I will combine as many of your proposed items as possible into a poll and then you can vote. The winning item will then be featured in a dish created by any CUers who care to try. Items that get multiple posts or approvals will be more likely to make the poll.

Rules: Be serious. Propose ingredients that can be used prominently in a dish. Don't propose ingredients so exotic that they unavailable in most of the country. Don't succumb to the gross-out factor - yes, we can all get deer eyeballs but nobody wants to eat them.

Have fun!

patriot45
06-16-2009, 10:09 PM
You are invited to submit ingredients for a CU Iron Chef Challenge.

I will combine as many of your proposed items as possible into a poll and then you can vote. The winning item will then be featured in a dish created by any CUers who care to try. Items that get multiple posts or approvals will be more likely to make the poll.

Rules: Be serious. Propose ingredients that can be used prominently in a dish. Don't propose ingredients so exotic that they unavailable in most of the country. Don't succumb to the gross-out factor - yes, we can all get deer eyeballs but nobody wants to eat them.

Have fun!

I can't wait to see who will step up to the plate! :D

C'mon, it's on!

SarasotaRepub
06-16-2009, 10:13 PM
Do this count??? :confused:

http://searchfood.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/spam1.jpg

:D

patriot45
06-16-2009, 10:16 PM
Do this count??? :confused:

http://searchfood.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/spam1.jpg

:D

Spam is good, but spam and what, to make a grand gross meal!!! :D

Rockntractor
06-16-2009, 10:17 PM
Pig ears. And they do have them at the grocery store.

patriot45
06-16-2009, 10:22 PM
:DPig ears, blah! Whatever you guys come up with I will be able to find it here! (http://www.feltonsmarket.com/departments.asp) There ain't a part of any animal they don't sell! :eek:

megimoo
06-16-2009, 10:23 PM
I can't wait to see who will step up to the plate! :D

C'mon, it's on!4 Large New Potatoes

5 Large Dark Cabbage Leaves (I use Savoy Cabbage)
1/4 lb Butter
Salt and Pepper to season

megimoo
06-16-2009, 10:25 PM
Pig ears. And they do have them at the grocery store.Dried they use them as pet chews !

patriot45
06-16-2009, 10:25 PM
4 Large New Potatoes

5 Large Dark Cabbage Leaves (I use Savoy Cabbage)
1/4 lb Butter
Salt and Pepper to season

I'm waiting for the punch line! That can't be it! Do you cook it?

megimoo
06-16-2009, 10:26 PM
2 oz plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
pinch of salt
2 oz shredded suet
1 oz white or brown sugar
4 oz currants
2 oz fresh breadcrumbs
1 egg, beaten
4-5 tbsp milk

patriot45
06-16-2009, 10:29 PM
2 oz plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
pinch of salt
2 oz shredded suet
4 oz currants
2 oz fresh breadcrumbs
1 egg, beaten
4-5 tbsp milk

Oh! I get it, its a series in 5 parts! :D

megimoo
06-16-2009, 10:31 PM
I'm waiting for the punch line! That can't be it! Do you cook it?Pan fried, great dish for leftover cabbage and mashed spuds !

megimoo
06-16-2009, 10:44 PM
Oh! I get it, its a series in 5 parts! :DI'll give you a hint ,break it down, what do you get when you mix and cook these in a cup in A bain-marie ?
4 oz currants
2 oz fresh breadcrumbs
1 egg, beaten
4-5 tbsp milk..............................

megimoo
06-16-2009, 10:46 PM
This one's easy :
1 lb. beef round steak
1 beef kidney
1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
3 tbsp. lard or drippings
1 med. sized onion, chopped
1/4 c. chopped pimento
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp. thyme
1 1/2 c. water
Pastry for 1 crust pie

patriot45
06-16-2009, 10:47 PM
?:confused: Sounds like a dessert. I like cooking but don't know all the fwench words!:D

megimoo
06-16-2009, 10:57 PM
?:confused: Sounds like a dessert. I like cooking but don't know all the fwench words!:D
bain-marie is a water bath, a pan with sides and about three inches of simmering water .

If you were to make a custard in a creme de bouille cup you could use one. A creme de bouille is a sweet custard with a layer of rough sugar carmelized on the top as a crust !

If you have an interest in expanding your horizons in cooking get a hold of a few French cooking bibles ."Larousse Gastromique" and "Mastering the Art Of French Cooking"

patriot45
06-16-2009, 11:03 PM
bain-marie is a water bath, a pan with sides and about three inches of simmering water .

If you were to make a custard in a creme de bouille cup you could use one. A creme de bouille is a sweet custard with a layer of rough sugar carmelized on the top as a crust !

Yeah, I know what a creme broule is, I kinda like that you finish it with a blowtorch! :D

patriot45
06-16-2009, 11:04 PM
Hey Megi, you going to go against me in this battle!? Put on your oven mitts and lets go! :D

megimoo
06-16-2009, 11:07 PM
Hey Megi, you going to go against me in this battle!? Put on your oven mitts and lets go! :DAre you ready for the next one ?

megimoo
06-16-2009, 11:09 PM
Hey Megi, you going to go against me in this battle!? Put on your oven mitts and lets go! :DDid you figure out the one with cabbage and mashed ?

patriot45
06-16-2009, 11:13 PM
I told you, I like to cook , I'm not a chef! But I looked it up:D - is it Colcannon?

megimoo
06-16-2009, 11:15 PM
In Sicilianano, Coniglio in Agrodolce

Marinade
1 1/2 cups red wine
1 onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 bay leaves
2 cloves
1 tablespoon freshly milled black pepper
1 tablespoon fresh oregano, mince

Main Dish
1 rabbit, cut into pieces, about 3 - 3 1/2 pounds
Flour to coat rabbit
1/4 cup olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1/4 cup stock or water
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup good quality wine vinegar
1/4 cup golden raisins

megimoo
06-16-2009, 11:19 PM
I told you, I like to cook , I'm not a chef! But I looked it up:D - is it Colcannon?
No It's old English from the days of Henry the Eight called "Spotted Dick" because of the currants and the way the cake stood up in the custard pudding I suppose !!

"Spotted dick is a steamed suet pudding containing dried fruit (usually currants), commonly served with either custard or butter and brown sugar. Spotted refers to the dried fruit (which resemble spots) and Dick may be a contraction/corruption of the word pudding (from the last syllable) or possibly a corruption of the word dough.[1] Another explanation offered for the latter half of the name is that it comes from the German word for "thick," in reference to the thickened suet mixture. There are many nicknames for a Spotted Dick including "Spotted Richard", "Dick in a box", "Dotted Lloyd", "Mixey Dick", "Dick with a dot", "Le Dick Spots", "Creamy Brown Dick", "Dick con Motas", and "Dickie Burton" as well as many others. It is a cultural part of English Cuisine."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotted_Dick

patriot45
06-16-2009, 11:20 PM
In Sicilianano, Coniglio in Agrodolce

Marinade
1 1/2 cups red wine
1 onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 bay leaves
2 cloves
1 tablespoon freshly milled black pepper
1 tablespoon fresh oregano, mince

Main Dish
1 rabbit, cut into pieces, about 3 - 3 1/2 pounds
Flour to coat rabbit
1/4 cup olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1/4 cup stock or water
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup good quality wine vinegar
1/4 cup golden raisins

Ooh Rabbit! Lets mix it with a Ptarmigan for a real ying yang meal! :D

Gingersnap
06-16-2009, 11:27 PM
This isn't a battle of the recipes - it's thread to propose an item that CU Iron Chef challengers must use prominently to create an original recipe!

Stick to the program!

patriot45
06-16-2009, 11:31 PM
This isn't a battle of the recipes - it's thread to propose an item that CU Iron Chef challengers must use prominently to create an original recipe!

Stick to the program!

Awww, c'mon mom, it was all him! I dint do nuttin!

On a serious note I propose Alligator! I will have an edge! :D

megimoo
06-16-2009, 11:32 PM
I told you, I like to cook , I'm not a chef! But I looked it up:D - is it Colcannon?Judging from some of the dishes that you have displayed I would say that you were damn close to being a first rate chef sans toque blanche,(Chef Without White hat ) !

Rockntractor
06-16-2009, 11:32 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/chef_-_chicken_in_pot.gif?t=1245209488

megimoo
06-16-2009, 11:35 PM

Stick to the program!
Ya-vol Mein Herren !

Lets see,
2lbs pork loin
1 banana
1 large egg
1 avocado
bunch of cilantro
1 jar of mole verde

megimoo
06-16-2009, 11:49 PM
Awww, c'mon mom, it was all him! I dint do nuttin!

On a serious note I propose Alligator! I will have an edge! :DI hate the taste of Alligator ,anything that will eat a human isn't on my menu !Also Catfish and Hush puppys,That crap tastes like gavilta fish and Matza balls!

lurkalot
06-17-2009, 01:07 AM
since I have an abundance..I nominate Rhubarb...:p

Rockntractor
06-17-2009, 01:10 AM
since I have an abundance..I nominate Rhubarb...:p

I love rhubarb I grew up on rhubarb pie and juice and sauce but I can't get it to survive Oklahoma summers.

Hawkgirl
06-17-2009, 05:35 PM
I'm in...if the ingredient is something I can find. I say the plate must be posted in the thread and a CU poll will determine a winner. And it better not be just me and Patriot...

My Ingredient wish is....

SHRIMP!

Teetop
06-17-2009, 05:42 PM
Velvetta.

My recipe will win for sure. :D

Looks like puke, but tastes like heaven! :eek:

patriot45
06-17-2009, 05:58 PM
I'm in...if the ingredient is something I can find. I say the plate must be posted in the thread and a CU poll will determine a winner. And it better not be just me and Patriot...

My Ingredient wish is....

SHRIMP!

I'll second shrimp! What else do we add, Ginger said multiple items. How about Fennel?

Or as Moo would say:

---Synonyms---Fenkel. Sweet Fennel. Wild Fennel.
---Parts Used---Seeds, leaves, roots.
---Habitat---Fennel, a hardy, perennial, umbelliferous herb, with yellow flowers and feathery leaves, grows wild in most parts of temperate Europe, but is generally considered indigenous to the shores of the Mediterranean, whence it spreads eastwards to India. It has followed civilization, especially where Italians have colonized, and may be found growing wild in many parts of the world upon dry soils near the sea-coast and upon river-banks. It flourishes particularly on limestone soils and is now naturalized in some parts of this country, being found from North Wales southward and eastward to Kent, being most frequent in Devon and Cornwall and on chalk cliffs near the sea. It is often found in chalky districts inland in a semi-wild state.
For the medicinal use of its fruits, commonly called seeds, Fennel is largely cultivated in the south of France, Saxony, Galicia, and Russia, as well as in India and Persia.

megimoo
06-17-2009, 06:05 PM
I'll second shrimp! What else do we add, Ginger said multiple items. How about Fennel?

Or as Moo would say:

---Synonyms---Fenkel. Sweet Fennel. Wild Fennel.
---Parts Used---Seeds, leaves, roots.
---Habitat---Fennel, a hardy, perennial, umbelliferous herb, with yellow flowers and feathery leaves, grows wild in most parts of temperate Europe, but is generally considered indigenous to the shores of the Mediterranean, whence it spreads eastwards to India. It has followed civilization, especially where Italians have colonized, and may be found growing wild in many parts of the world upon dry soils near the sea-coast and upon river-banks. It flourishes particularly on limestone soils and is now naturalized in some parts of this country, being found from North Wales southward and eastward to Kent, being most frequent in Devon and Cornwall and on chalk cliffs near the sea. It is often found in chalky districts inland in a semi-wild state.
For the medicinal use of its fruits, commonly called seeds, Fennel is largely cultivated in the south of France, Saxony, Galicia, and Russia, as well as in India and Persia.

You exaggerate there Chef .I only list the detail to help you along .As for the shrimp add fresh garlic,fresh ginger,olive oil and parsley, wooden skewers .

Hawkgirl
06-17-2009, 06:39 PM

]

We just choose 1 ingredient like they do on Iron Chef...then you make it however you wish!:D

patriot45
06-17-2009, 06:41 PM
We just choose 1 ingredient like they do on Iron Chef...then you make it however you wish!:D

Oh, okay. ALa Cuisine! :D

Hawkgirl
06-17-2009, 06:44 PM
Oh, okay. ALa Cuisine! :D

EGGGGSACTLY!

Phillygirl
06-17-2009, 07:08 PM
I nominate crabmeat for an ingredient!

gator
06-17-2009, 07:53 PM
I will go Iron Chef with anybody but the ingredient must be grapefruit.

megimoo
06-17-2009, 07:58 PM

Roast Pork Loin with Grapefruit

main ingredients
Pork Tenderloin, Citrus, Fruit, Pork, Grapefruit, White Wine
Ingredients2 onions, sliced
4 large garlic cloves, crushed
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
a 3 1/2- to 4-pound boneless pork loin, tied
1 tablespoon coriander seeds, crushed
3 grapefruit
4 1/2 tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup dry white wine
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
a beurre manié made by kneading together
3 tablespoons softened unsalted butter and
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
\In a roasting pan toss the onions and the garlic with the oil, add the pork loin, and season it with salt and pepper. Rub the coriander seeds over the pork and roast the pork in the middle of a preheated 350°F. oven for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, or until a meat thermometer registers 155°F. to 160°F.

While the pork is roasting, remove 3 or 4 long strips of zest from 1 of the grapefruit with a vegetable peeler, scrape off as much of the white pith from the zest as possible, and cut enough of the zest into fine julienne strips to measure 1/4 cup. Cut away the zest, pith, and membranes from all 3 grapefruit with a serrated knife and, working over a bowl to catch the juice, cut the flesh into sections, reserving the juice. Transfer the sections to a sieve and let them drain.

In a small heavy saucepan combine 3 tablespoons of the sugar, the zest strips, and 1/2 cup of the reserved juice, reserving the remaining juice for another use. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved, and boil it until it is thickened and turns a light caramel.

Transfer the pork to a cutting board and let it stand, covered loosely with foil, for 10 minutes. While the pork is standing, deglaze the roasting pan with the wine, boiling the mixture and scraping up the brown bits, until the wine is reduced almost completely and add the broth. Pour the deglazing mixture through a fine sieve into the pan containing zest mixture, pressing hard on the solids, and bring the gravy to a boil, stirring. Add the beurre manié, a little at a time, whisking until the gravy is smooth, simmer the gravy, whisking occasionally, for 2 minutes, and whisk in any juices that have accumulated on the cutting board. Season the gravy with salt and pepper and keep it warm.

Arrange the grapefruit sections in a shallow baking pan or gratin dish just large enough to hold them in one layer, sprinkle them with the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, and broil them under a preheated broiler about 2 to 3 inches from the heat for 3 to 5 minutes, or until they are just golden. Discard the string from the pork, cut the pork into 1/2-inch-thick slices, and serve it with the gravy and the grapefruit sections.

megimoo
06-17-2009, 08:05 PM

Filetto Di Maiale E Pompelmo
Ingredients
1 (2½- to 3-lb) boneless pork loin roast, trimmed
¼ cup dry white wine
3 teaspoons juniper berries, lightly smashed
7 large shallots, peeled and quartered
2 celery stalks, sliced crosswise into ¼-inch pieces
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 large pink grapefruit
2 tablespoons gin
(roast pork loin with grapefruit)
Instructions
Combine pork, wine and half of the juniper berries in a sealable plastic bag; seal bag, pressing out air. Turn bag to coat pork, then put bag in a shallow bowl and marinate, chilled, turning bag over occasionally, at least 4 hours. Bring pork to room temperature, about 1 hour, before cooking. Put oven rack in middle position and heat oven to 350°.

Pat pork dry (discard marinade) and remove any strings, then transfer to a roasting pan. Scatter shallots, celery and remaining juniper berries around pork, drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake, basting once halfway through, until meat thermometer inserted into pork registers 150°, about 1¼ hours.

Meanwhile, using a sharp paring knife, cut peel and white pith from grapefruit, then cut each section of fruit away from membranes, cutting as close to membranes as you can, and place sections in a bowl.

Remove pork from oven and let stand in pan 15 minutes. Transfer roast to a cutting board with a lip and let rest, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add gin to roasting pan, place pan over high heat, and cook for 1 minute, scraping up bits. Remove pan from heat, add grapefruit sections and stir sauce to combine. Slice pork. Divide sauce and pork among serving plates; serve warm.

Hawkgirl
06-17-2009, 09:00 PM

Squeeze, pour in a glass, drink.

megimoo
06-18-2009, 12:57 AM

You don't feed hogs you slop them !

gator
06-18-2009, 08:01 AM
You don't feed hogs you slop them !

You need to read the book "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross.

It is a book about an out of control US government. Unlike in real life nowadays in this book American patriots actually fight back.

ATF agents come to a farm to confiscate firearms but are met by resistance. Their bodies are then fed to hogs. The war cry for the patriots becomes "it is time to feed the hogs".

It is a good book. You should read it.

Gingersnap
06-18-2009, 09:51 AM
Okay, I propose scrapple and I don't want to see it as a sidecar to eggs or in a simple sandwich if it wins.

Carry on. I will create the poll this weekend.

megimoo
06-18-2009, 11:28 AM
Chopped: There Are No Top Chefs Here

Last night, onetime Bravo boy and sometimes Top Chef judge Ted Allen premiered his new rival show on the Food Network, Chopped. Allen has spoken out against allegations that the show is a Top Chef rip-off, elucidating the differences on his blog, saying "There is no sleep deprivation, no "Big Brother" house full of bunk beds and cameras, no booze-fueled personal drama...Best of all, there is no product placement, so you never see passionate lovers of good food being forced to use packaged convenience junk thanks to Kraft/Altria/Exxon's sponsorship."

That may all be true, but the absence of Diet-Dr.-Pepper Quickfires doesn't make up for the fact that Chopped's format is boring, the talent of its chef-testants subpar, and the general look of the show cheap. We'll take the occasional Bertolli challenge in exchange for some decent production value and an occasional change of scenery.

If there's any format Chopped has ripped-off, it's Iron Chef's. Each week, the four chef-testants have to cook an appetizer, main course, and dessert. They have 30 minutes to cook each course and must use the "mystery ingredients" provided for each course. Of course, instead of watching an Iron Chef like Mario Batali stun you with his genius use of yogurt, you're watching a Chopped contestant like Katie, a 21-year-old pastry chef, struggle to incorporate a strange vegetable known as "green onions" into her entree. From round-to-round, the chef preparing the worst dish is eliminated via a series of puns and catchphrases involving variations on the word "chop."

Chopped on Food Network!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNJcCrIojD0&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fblogs%2Evillagevoice%2Ecom%2Ffor kintheroad%2Farchives%2F2009%2F01%2Fchopped%5Fther e%5Fa%2Ephp&feature=player_embedded

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/forkintheroad/archives/2009/01/chopped_there_a.php

JB
06-19-2009, 08:15 PM
Today's secret ingredient:

Pumpkin.

Must be used in appetizer, entree and dessert. I won't play along but I'll judge or be the Asian guy.

Gingersnap
06-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Get your ingredients in, people.

I'll create the poll tomorrow sometime.

patriot45
06-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Get your ingredients in, people.

I'll create the poll tomorrow sometime.

I kinda liked scrapple! Looks tasty!

Shannon
06-19-2009, 10:24 PM
I kinda liked scrapple! Looks tasty!

Ewww. I'm not going near any scrapple.

patriot45
06-19-2009, 10:30 PM
Ewww. I'm not going near any scrapple.

Are you doing to throw down with us chef-boy-ar-dees!?
Ginger probably won't make it easy! :D

Shannon
06-19-2009, 10:45 PM
Are you doing to throw down with us chef-boy-ar-dees!?
Ginger probably won't make it easy! :D

Are you insinuating that I can't cook?

Gingersnap
06-20-2009, 12:11 AM
Are you insinuating that I can't cook?

Please! :rolleyes:

You're a known Ramen-eater. When you dig a hole - stop shoveling. :D

Shannon
06-20-2009, 12:24 AM
Please! :rolleyes:

You're a known Ramen-eater. When you dig a hole - stop shoveling. :D

I set that up for you. You know you've been on a forum too long when you know exactly who will reply and what they will say.:p