PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Military Tracking North Korean Ship Suspected of Proliferating Missiles, Nukes

Rebel Yell
06-18-2009, 02:39 PM
The U.S. military is tracking a flagged North Korean ship suspected of proliferating weapons material in violation of a U.N. Security Council resolution passed last Friday, FOX News has learned.

The ship, Kang Nam, left a port in North Korea Wednesday and could be carrying weaponry, missile parts or nuclear materials. The U.S. military has been tracking it since its departure.

"It is believed to be 'of interest,'" a senior U.S. official told FOX News.

This is the first suspected "proliferator" that the U.S. and its allies have tracked from North Korea since the United Nations authorized the world's navies to enforce compliance with a variety of U.N. sanctions aimed at punishing North Korea for its recent nuclear test.

The apparent violation raises the question of how the United States and its allies will respond, particularly since the U.N. resolution does not have a lot of teeth to it.

The resolution would not allow the United States to forcibly board the ship. Rather, U.S. military would have to request permission to board -- a request North Korea is unlikely to grant.

North Korea has said that any attempt to board its ships would be viewed as an act of war and promised "100- or 1,000-fold" retaliation if provoked.
If there is cause to pursue the ship, sources told FOX News the U.S. military would instead likely follow the slow-moving vessel until it goes into port to refuel.

At that point, sources said, the U.S. military could request that the host country not provide fuel to the ship.

The Kang Nam is known to be a ship that has been involved in proliferation activities in the past -- it is "a repeat offender," according to one military source.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/06/18/military-tracking-north-korean-ship-suspected-proliferating-weapons-material/

It will be very interesting to see how this turns out.

stsinner
06-18-2009, 02:42 PM
i can't imagine us going to war with N. Korea.

But I don't see how we can avoid it.

Rebel Yell
06-18-2009, 03:04 PM
i can't imagine us going to war with N. Korea.

But I don't see how we can avoid it.

I can't see signing a resolution that says, "You can't have nuclear weapons, but we can't look for them unless you say it's OK."

stsinner
06-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Kim Jong Il is bringing catastrophe on his own country with all of these recent provocations.. They're bragging about having a missile that can reach Hawaii, and they're going to test-fire it soon, and this suspicious ship is really a menace..

How long to you give it before Obama fulfills Il's wishes and pays him billions of dollars to shut up for another 6 months, which is really all Il wants. We've done it countless time in the past when Il starts to throw a tantrum.

linda22003
06-18-2009, 03:18 PM
There was an interesting article in the Washington Post this morning on how North Korea gets hard currency through insurance fraud, since most countries are not willing to actually bank with them or take their currency.

As an aside, Kim Jong Il's last name is "Kim", not "Il".

Rebel Yell
06-18-2009, 03:24 PM
There was an interesting article in the Washington Post this morning on how North Korea gets hard currency through insurance fraud, since most countries are not willing to actually bank with them or take their currency.

Really?:confused: I never knew that. I guess I need to watch less Team America "Mr. Il"

linda22003
06-18-2009, 03:27 PM
Yes - as in other Asian cultures, the first name in the string is the family name. President Park Chung Hee was President Park. The current president, Lee Myung Bak, is President Lee. Now you won't be embarrassed if you meet him. :)

SPYDER
06-18-2009, 03:34 PM
I would tell that little punk he has 12 hours to get all people away from all launch sites, then send some cruse missiles and destroy the sites.

stsinner
06-18-2009, 03:42 PM
Yes - as in other Asian cultures, the first name in the string is the family name. President Park Chung Hee was President Park. The current president, Lee Myung Bak, is President Lee. Now you won't be embarrassed if you meet him. :)

Well, I learned something today.. I had no idea, honestly. Obviously.

stsinner
06-18-2009, 03:44 PM
I would tell that little punk he has 12 hours to get all people away from all launch sites, then send some cruse missiles and destroy the sites.

I think the best thing we could do is to immediately withdraw all 40,000 American troops in the DMZ between N and S Korea.. That would get the little stinker thinking and wondering what our next move was going to be... Plus, he wouldn't have a bargaining chip anymore-our 40k troops would be barely a speed bump to his million-man standing army, and he knows it (and so do our troops).

Rebel Yell
06-18-2009, 03:50 PM

That's why the Asian ballplayers all have their "first" name on their jerseys. Yao, Ichiro, etc. In my ignorance, I was asking the other day what made them so special. Michael Jordan didn't have Michael on his jersey.

Now I know. And knowing is half the battle.

Odysseus
06-18-2009, 07:19 PM

Hey, if they're buddies, they can be on a last name basis. :D

Rockntractor
06-18-2009, 07:22 PM
This warrants the most strongly worded letter ever. And possibly send video Of President obama wagging his finger while stamping his foot. But I don't think are reaction will be that severe.

Odysseus
06-18-2009, 09:02 PM
This warrants the most strongly worded letter ever. And possibly send video Of President obama wagging his finger while stamping his foot. But I don't think are reaction will be that severe.

See, now you're being mean. I believe that the president will use every adjective at his disposal to resolve this crisis. He may even resort to the use of nouns, but that would be a last resort. :D

Rockntractor
06-18-2009, 09:12 PM
See, now you're being mean. I believe that the president will use every adjective at his disposal to resolve this crisis. He may even resort to the use of nouns, but that would be a last resort. :D
I know it is wrong but if in these extreme circumstances they would throw in a cuss word or two or possibly a negative referrence to the mother of the offending leader we might get some results.

PoliCon
06-18-2009, 11:18 PM
I think the best thing we could do is to immediately withdraw all 40,000 American troops in the DMZ between N and S Korea.. That would get the little stinker thinking and wondering what our next move was going to be... Plus, he wouldn't have a bargaining chip anymore-our 40k troops would be barely a speed bump to his million-man standing army, and he knows it (and so do our troops).

I'm reminded of the Battle of Kambula during the Anglo-Zulu war . . . . and the Battle of Agincourt in the 100 years war . . . .

stsinner
06-18-2009, 11:22 PM
I'm reminded of the Battle of Kambula during the Anglo-Zulu war . . . .

I don't follow you there, Mr. Sulu, but I do think that pulling our troops off of that border would get him thinking nuclear strike and STFU...

PoliCon
06-18-2009, 11:26 PM
I don't follow you there, Mr. Sulu, but I do think that pulling our troops off of that border would get him thinking nuclear strike and STFU...

my point is - a superiorly armed and trained fighting force can beat down sheer numbers and I don't wanna STFU :p

stsinner
06-18-2009, 11:57 PM
my point is - a superiorly armed and trained fighting force can beat down sheer numbers and I don't wanna STFU :p

I meant for the midget to STFU.. I would never tell a copatriot to STFU....

djones520
06-19-2009, 12:26 AM

Tell that to the thousands of artillery peices mounted on the DMZ, with a good percentage of them loaded with chemical and biological weapons, all opening fire from hidden and protected enclosures at once. These have all been pre-sighted to every military base and city within 50 miles of the DMZ. On top of that you'll have hundreds of missiles being fired from all over N. Korea, coordinated with a massive Special Ops attack from thousands of pre-infiltrated Norks.

Our forces on the DMZ are nothing more then speed bumps. Everyone there knows it.

Odysseus
06-19-2009, 12:38 AM
I know it is wrong but if in these extreme circumstances they would throw in a cuss word or two or possibly a negative referrence to the mother of the offending leader we might get some results.
You want Gator as secretary of state? :D

I'm reminded of the Battle of Kambula during the Anglo-Zulu war . . . . and the Battle of Agincourt in the 100 years war . . . .
That only works if tthe North attacks on Saint Crispin's Day.

Tell that to the thousands of artillery peices mounted on the DMZ, with a good percentage of them loaded with chemical and biological weapons, all opening fire from hidden and protected enclosures at once. These have all been pre-sighted to every military base and city within 50 miles of the DMZ. On top of that you'll have hundreds of missiles being fired from all over N. Korea, coordinated with a massive Special Ops attack from thousands of pre-infiltrated Norks.

Our forces on the DMZ are nothing more then speed bumps. Everyone there knows it.
There was a move several years ago to begin moving our forces back from the border for just that reason. If the north conducted an initial barrage, our guys were in the line of fire, but a redeployment south to Pusan would provide strategic depth to respond to an attack. Unfortunately, no matter where we put our forces, Seoul is going to take the worst of it. North Korea can't win a war with the south (they're actually armed with some seriously antique Soviet hardware, including the only operable T-34/85s remaining in any military inventory), but they can make sure that they destroy South Korea's capital and millions of people before they are destroyed in retaliation. That's Kim Jong Il's strategic paradigm. Without it, he's just another petty dictator in a grey jumpsuit with a bad haircut, a penchant for movie starlets and delusions of world conquest. Throw him a fluffy white cat and he's got the makings of a James Bond villain, but in the real world, he'd be a joke if it weren't for his proximity to the largest population center of one of our major trading partners. Unfortunately, that strategic location gives him leverage.

djones520
06-19-2009, 12:42 AM
Exactly. N. Korea is nothing but a one punch special. The problem with that is that the punch they'll get off will kill hundreds of thousands if not millions.

Once we get a chance to respond, we'll wipe them out. It's just surviving that first round thats the issue. I'll be honest when I say I was really scared about going to war while I was in that theatre. You can shoot back at troops. All you can do is pray for good luck when it's raining missiles and artillery shells.

Rockntractor
06-19-2009, 12:48 AM
You want Gator as secretary of state?
I want to resurrect George s. Patton! I am so sick of the way this country has turned into a bunch of pusses I could puke

Teetop
06-19-2009, 12:53 AM
It will be very interesting to see how this turns out.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/06/18/military-tracking-north-korean-ship-suspected-proliferating-weapons-material/

If North Korea cannot launch a (sucessful) missle from a land-based facility. How can it launch one from a ship?

:confused:

It can't....

Rockntractor
06-19-2009, 12:56 AM
If North Korea cannot launch a (sucessful) missle from a land-based facility. How can it launch one from a ship?

It can't....

It won't matter in a game of poker between obama and the little general who do you think will win?

djones520
06-19-2009, 01:05 AM

It can't....

N. Korea has succesfully launched many missiles. It's just had a couple failures with one type of missile. Back in the late 90's they showed quite clearly that they can fire missiles directly to US bases on Japan when they had one fly directly over Misawa AFB.

PoliCon
06-19-2009, 01:33 AM

Our forces on the DMZ are nothing more then speed bumps. Everyone there knows it.I have more faith in our service men than that. They may be out numbered and such - but they are more than just speed bumps. BTW - how long would it take for us to pull off an air strike if they attacked?

PoliCon
06-19-2009, 01:35 AM
N. Korea has succesfully launched many missiles. It's just had a couple failures with one type of missile. Back in the late 90's they showed quite clearly that they can fire missiles directly to US bases on Japan when they had one fly directly over Misawa AFB.

The time is past due for removing the head from that snake.

djones520
06-19-2009, 01:40 AM
I have more faith in our service men than that. They may be out numbered and such - but they are more than just speed bumps. BTW - how long would it take for us to pull off an air strike if they attacked?

Osan AFB would probably be levelled in that first volley. Kunsan wouldn't be in range of the artillery, but it would definitely be in range of the missiles. Misawa and Kadena could have it's fighters off the ground within 2 hours at the longest I'd imagine, but they'd have a problem with range. They would need in-flight refueling to get to Korea and back. While we have those capabilities, until we asserted air dominance our KC-135's would be at a lot of risk to N. Korea's fighters and SAAM missiles.

PoliCon
06-19-2009, 01:43 AM
Osan AFB would probably be levelled in that first volley. Kunsan wouldn't be in range of the artillery, but it would definitely be in range of the missiles. Misawa and Kadena could have it's fighters off the ground within 2 hours at the longest I'd imagine, but they'd have a problem with range. They would need in-flight refueling to get to Korea and back. While we have those capabilities, until we asserted air dominance our KC-135's would be at a lot of risk to N. Korea's fighters and SAAM missiles.

sounds like we really need a missile defense shield . . . .