PDA

View Full Version : Judge Questions Justice Dept. Effort to Keep Cheney Remarks Secret

PoliCon
06-20-2009, 12:32 AM
By R. Jeffrey Smith
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, June 19, 2009

A federal judge yesterday sharply questioned an assertion by the Obama administration that former Vice President Richard B. Cheney's statements to a special prosecutor about the Valerie Plame case must be kept secret, partly so they do not become fodder for Cheney's political enemies or late-night commentary on "The Daily Show."

U.S. District Judge Emmet G. Sullivan expressed surprise during a hearing here that the Justice Department, in asserting that Cheney's voluntary statements to U.S. Attorney Patrick J. Fitzgerald were exempt from disclosure, relied on legal claims put forward last October by a Bush administration political appointee, Stephen Bradbury. The department asserted then that the disclosure would make presidents and vice presidents reluctant to cooperate voluntarily with future criminal investigations.

But career civil division lawyer Jeffrey M. Smith, responding to Sullivan's questions, said Bradbury's arguments against the disclosure were supported by the department's current leadership. He told the judge that if Cheney's remarks were published, then a future vice president asked to provide candid information during a criminal probe might refuse to do so out of concern "that it's going to get on 'The Daily Show' " or somehow be used as a political weapon.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/18/AR2009061803879.html?hpid=moreheadlines

The left is still looking for their pound of flesh ignoring the fact that it was ONE OF THEIR OWN that "outed" Plame. :rolleyes:

hazlnut
06-21-2009, 12:35 PM
The left is still looking for their pound of flesh ignoring the fact that it was ONE OF THEIR OWN that "outed" Plame. :rolleyes:

The Left is out to get Cheney?

Did you actually read the article before posting it?

PoliCon
06-21-2009, 07:28 PM
The Left is out to get Cheney?

Did you actually read the article before posting it?

Have you grown a pair yet? Are you ready to continue our thunder dome thread? If not - piss off.

hazlnut
06-22-2009, 12:18 AM
Have you grown a pair yet? Are you ready to continue our thunder dome thread? If not - piss off.

Oh, eat me, trailer boy.

Don't embarrass yourself by posting stories without reading them first. Or maybe you did read it but didn't understand that the DOJ does NOT want to release Cheney's statements on the Plame investigation.

Do you know something about the judge reviewing the matter that you want to share with the rest of us? Or do you just see the name Cheney and say: Hot Damn, ma, lefties goin' after Mr. Dick again!

Jesus, how does someone miss that? It's in the first two paragraphs.

I took you off Ignore because you called out Stsinner for making racists remarks. But I think that was a mistake.

On the t-dome, you win, your views are way farther to the right than mine. Happy, pappy? Now go away.

PoliCon
06-22-2009, 01:07 AM
Oh, eat me, trailer boy.

Don't embarrass yourself by posting stories without reading them first. Or maybe you did read it but didn't understand that the DOJ does NOT want to release Cheney's statements on the Plame investigation.

Do you know something about the judge reviewing the matter that you want to share with the rest of us? Or do you just see the name Cheney and say: Hot Damn, ma, lefties goin' after Mr. Dick again!

Jesus, how does someone miss that? It's in the first two paragraphs.

I took you off Ignore because you called out Stsinner for making racists remarks. But I think that was a mistake.

On the t-dome, you win, your views are way farther to the right than mine. Happy, pappy? Now go away.
PAY ATTENTION DUMBASS. What was it again that I said? What was my comment? OH YEA - The left is still looking for their pound of flesh ignoring the fact that it was ONE OF THEIR OWN that "outed" Plame.

Who brought the case Mr. pseudo conservative? A conservative? :rolleyes: You stupid leftist - who the hell do you think are the ones demanding that those conversations be released? Who is it that is pissed off - and is fighting tooth and nail to get that pound of flesh???? You're such a fucking hypocrite that you can't even see it.

samurai
06-22-2009, 11:58 AM
The lawsuit to get the words released was brought by Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington. They claim to be bipartisan, but they are spending their time digging into old Cheney comments rather than investigating the Obama administration, the Chrysler dealership closing, etc. And look at who the 2 top people in CREW are:

http://www.citizensforethics.org/about/staff

Melanie Sloan, Executive Director
Melanie Sloan serves as CREW's Executive Director and is a nationally recognized expert on congressional ethics. Prior to starting CREW, she served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the District of Columbia where, from 1998-2003, she successfully tried cases before dozens of judges and juries. Before becoming a prosecutor, Ms. Sloan served as Minority Counsel for the House Judiciary Committee, working on criminal justice issues for then-Ranking Member John Conyers (D-MI). Ms. Sloan also served as Counsel for the Crime Subcommittee of the House Judiciary Committee, chaired by then-Representative Charles Schumer (D-NY). There, she drafted portions of the 1994 Crime Bill, including the Violence Against Women Act. In 1993, Ms. Sloan served as Nominations Counsel to the Senate Judiciary Committee, under then-Chairman Joseph Biden (D-DE). Prior to working for the Congress, she was an associate at Howrey and Simon in Washington D.C. Ms. Sloan received her B.A. and J.D. from the University of Chicago and has published in the Yale Law and Policy Review, and numerous other publications. Frequently called upon by national news programs to provide analysis, Ms. Sloan has appeared on shows including: NPR's All Things Considered, CNN's The Situation Room, Larry King Live and Lou Dobbs, MSNBC's Hardball and Countdown with Keith Olbermann, NBC Nightly News, CBS Evening News, and ABC World News Tonight. Ms. Sloan also regularly provides insight to newspapers and magazines across the country including: The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Los Angeles Times, Newsweek Magazine, Harper's Magazine, and Rolling Stone, which named her One of the Year's Greatest Mavericks in 2006. Ms. Sloan has been profiled in a number of publications including: Ms. Magazine, Time Magazine and Mother Jones.

Naomi Seligman, Deputy Director and Communications Director
Naomi Seligman serves as CREW's Deputy Director and Communications Director. She has worked extensively as a communications professional, developing and managing media strategies for campaigns, elected officials and nonprofit organizations. Prior to joining CREW, Ms. Seligman was the communications director for the nonprofit, media watchdog group, Media Matters for America. She also has served as the communications director for the Violence Policy Center, a gun control organization, and has acted as press secretary in House and Senate offices and as director of outreach for the House Small Business Committee. Ms. Seligman received her B.A. from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst.

So the director has worked for 3 Democrats: Conyers, Schumer, and Biden, and goes on Olbermann's show and all the other drive by networks except FOX, and she writes for the NY Times and been profiled in Mother Jones. The deputy director used to work for Media Matters and an anti-2nd Amendment group. I think we can say with some certainty that these are leftists.

So leftists are after info on Cheney and don't care about the precedent it sets for the current Obama administration, who knows that at some point in the future, mouthy Biden may have to testify about something. They want to be able to keep his words secret, so they are fighting not to establish a precedent some conservative group could then cite to get that future transcript.

PoliCon
06-22-2009, 01:20 PM
The lawsuit to get the words released was brought by Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington. They claim to be bipartisan, but they are spending their time digging into old Cheney comments rather than investigating the Obama administration, the Chrysler dealership closing, etc. And look at who the 2 top people in CREW are:

http://www.citizensforethics.org/about/staff

So the director has worked for 3 Democrats: Conyers, Schumer, and Biden, and goes on Olbermann's show and all the other drive by networks except FOX, and she writes for the NY Times and been profiled in Mother Jones. The deputy director used to work for Media Matters and an anti-2nd Amendment group. I think we can say with some certainty that these are leftists.

So leftists are after info on Cheney and don't care about the precedent it sets for the current Obama administration, who knows that at some point in the future, mouthy Biden may have to testify about something. They want to be able to keep his words secret, so they are fighting not to establish a precedent some conservative group could then cite to get that future transcript.:mad: HOW DARE YOU DESTROY NAZLNUTS NARRATIVE!!