PDA

View Full Version : "Wow Who Would Have Thunk :Calif regulators find pot smoke causes cancer"

megimoo
06-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Calif regulators find pot smoke causes cancer"

"Now They Can Tax the bejesus Out Of It !"

SAN FRANCISCO Marijuana smoke has joined tobacco smoke and hundreds of other chemicals on a list of substances California regulators say cause cancer.

The ruling Friday by the Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment likely will force pot shops with 10 or more employees to post warnings. Final guidelines are expected by the time warning requirements take effect in a year.

The listing only applies to marijuana smoke, not the plant itself.

Spokesman Sam Delson says the state agency found marijuana smoke contains 33 of the same harmful chemicals as tobacco smoke.
http://www.ajc.com/news/content/shared-gen/ap/Health_Medical/US_Marijuana_Cancer.html
Delson says the findings came from a review of more than 30 scientific papers

Odysseus
06-20-2009, 06:46 PM
Is it just me, or do the advocates of legalized pot tend to be the same people who are the most shrill tobacco opponents?

megimoo
06-20-2009, 11:05 PM
Is it just me, or do the advocates of legalized pot tend to be the same people who are the most shrill tobacco opponents?You noticed !

djones520
06-21-2009, 03:09 AM
I had a "friend" in high school (we'd all recognize him as a typical DU poster, though I'm still trying to learn his screen name) who used to challenge me to provide a single harmful fact about marijuana. This guy was a huge (in more ways then one) pot head. Was also a huge conspiracy nut, who believed that the government was intent on committing genocide against pot smokers.

I wonder how he's taking this news.

lacarnut
06-21-2009, 06:27 AM
I had a "friend" in high school (we'd all recognize him as a typical DU poster, though I'm still trying to learn his screen name) who used to challenge me to provide a single harmful fact about marijuana. This guy was a huge (in more ways then one) pot head. Was also a huge conspiracy nut, who believed that the government was intent on committing genocide against pot smokers.

He is in denial and that this study is just a right wing conspiracy. Heavy pot smoking probably causes other diseases comparable to cig. smokng.

Odysseus
06-21-2009, 12:34 PM

It probably harshed his buzz. :D

wilbur
06-22-2009, 09:02 AM
He is in denial and that this study is just a right wing conspiracy. Heavy pot smoking probably causes other diseases comparable to cig. smokng.

Actually, if you look at the content of the statement, it simply says pot contains chemicals that are known to cause cancer... which has been well known for a long time... Pot actually has MORE carcinogens that cigarettes... also known for a long time.

What is less clear, is why lifelong, heavy potsmokers, don't have any increased risk of lung/mouth cancer when compared with non-smokers. Yes, this is true, it is a fact.

Its theorized that THC (the active ingredient it pot) actually promotes cell death in cells that may have mis-copied or potentially cancerous genes, negating effects of the carcinogens in the smoke.... while nicotine actually does the reverse, and causes bad cells to live longer and reproduce.

Odysseus
06-22-2009, 09:54 AM
Actually, if you look at the content of the statement, it simply says pot contains chemicals that are known to cause cancer... which has been well known for a long time... Pot actually has MORE carcinogens that cigarettes... also known for a long time.

What is less clear, is why lifelong, heavy potsmokers, don't have any increased risk of lung/mouth cancer when compared with non-smokers. Yes, this is true, it is a fact.

Its theorized that THC (the active ingredient it pot) actually promotes cell death in cells that may have mis-copied or potentially cancerous genes, negating effects of the carcinogens in the smoke.... while nicotine actually does the reverse, and causes bad cells to live longer and reproduce.

Or, it could be that nicotine is an appetite suppressant, while THC is an appetite stimulant, and it's as simple as getting the cancer cells out of your mouth by displacing them with Doritos. :D

Rockntractor
06-22-2009, 10:13 AM

That sounds like Dr. Dean Edell on his talk show. I think it is only true if you haven't been circumcised though. Those are two of his pet topics pot smoking and circumcision.

noonwitch
06-22-2009, 11:56 AM
So, if you bake it into brownies, that risk is eliminated.

It takes more weed to do it that way, though. People would still smoke it, even if you could buy pot brownies legally at 7-11, because smoking it gets the drug into the bloodstream faster than eating it.

Odysseus
06-22-2009, 01:02 PM
That sounds like Dr. Dean Edell on his talk show. I think it is only true if you haven't been circumcised though. Those are two of his pet topics pot smoking and circumcision.
That means that Judaism must cause cancer! Does Gator know about this? :D

It takes more weed to do it that way, though. People would still smoke it, even if you could buy pot brownies legally at 7-11, because smoking it gets the drug into the bloodstream faster than eating it.
But if you bake them into brownies, you can also deal with the munchies simultaneously, so it's a win/win. :D

BTW, I'm with National Review on this one. There may be compelling arguments against selling pot the way that we sell milk, but there's no reason that it can't be as legal as valium or morphine. At least allow those who are suffering from chemotherapy or AIDS or glaucoma to get relief.

PoliCon
06-22-2009, 01:24 PM
Is it just me, or do the advocates of legalized pot tend to be the same people who are the most shrill tobacco opponents?

I have noticed that as well.

PoliCon
06-22-2009, 01:26 PM
That means that Judaism must cause cancer! Does Gator know about this? :D

But if you bake them into brownies, you can also deal with the munchies simultaneously, so it's a win/win. :D

BTW, I'm with National Review on this one. There may be compelling arguments against selling pot the way that we sell milk, but there's no reason that it can't be as legal as valium or morphine. At least allow those who are suffering from chemotherapy or AIDS or glaucoma to get relief.

I do believe that THC is legal in pill form. But they don't want the pills because the pills work like medicine. They treat the problem. No - they wanna smoke it because THAT makes them high.

wilbur
06-22-2009, 02:35 PM
I do believe that THC is legal in pill form. But they don't want the pills because the pills work like medicine. They treat the problem. No - they wanna smoke it because THAT makes them high.

Its legal in pill form because sick people have to pay lots of money for it.

What would the drug companies do if people could grow their medicine?

Odysseus
06-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Its legal in pill form because sick people have to pay lots of money for it.
What would the drug companies do if people could grow their medicine?

Sell them wrapping papers? Bongs? Chips and salsa?

Rebel Yell
06-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Sell them wrapping papers? Bongs? Chips and salsa?

Don't forget the fortune Phillies' Blunts and Swisher Sweets are making off them already. Hhave you ever known someone to actually smoke those?

PoliCon
06-22-2009, 05:20 PM
And the rush to outlaw tobacco continues - http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090622/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_tobacco

Rockntractor
06-22-2009, 06:55 PM

I have tried this but the brownies are a real bitch to light!