PDA

View Full Version : Public outcry forces 'hate crimes' hearing,625,000 letters delivered to Senate member

megimoo
06-21-2009, 03:32 AM
Public outcry forces 'hate crimes' hearing,625,000 letters delivered to Senate members
snip
A hearing on the plan had been sought by opponents because that is where amendments generally are proposed and discussed. It was during the amendment process in the U.S. House that the bill earned the title "Pedophile Protection Act" after Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa, offered an amendment reading: "The term sexual orientation as used in this act or any amendments to this act does not include pedophilia."

But majority Democrats refused to accept it.

"Having reviewed cases as an appellate judge, I know that when the legislature has the chance to include a definition and refuses, then what we look at is the plain meaning of those words," explained Rep. Louis Gohmert, R-Texas. "The plain meaning of sexual orientation is anything to which someone is orientated. That could include exhibitionism, it could include necrophilia (sexual arousal/activity with a corpse) ... it could include urophilia (sexual arousal associated with urine), voyeurism. You see someone spying on you changing clothes and you hit them, they've committed a misdemeanor, you've committed a federal felony under this bill. It is so wrong."

Part of the FedEx campaign of letters from citizens opposing the "hate crimes" bill.

The proposal had been the target of hundreds of thousands of letters that have been delivered to members of the U.S. Senate in opposition.

The campaign to defeat the proposal generated more than 625,000 individual letters sent by Fed Ex to all 100 U.S. senators. The effort, organized by WND columnist Janet Porter, who also heads the Faith2Action Christian ministry, permitted activists to send individually addressed letters to all 100 senators over their own "signature" for only $10.95. The campaign has now ended.

Richard Land, of the Southern Baptist Convention, has said such a law by definition requires judges to determine what those accused of crimes were thinking.

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=101570

FlaGator
06-21-2009, 07:00 AM
You sure like to create misleading thread titles.

djones520
06-21-2009, 07:22 AM

So I'm not the only one whose noticed?

Sonnabend
06-21-2009, 08:10 AM
Meg, you know better.

Rockntractor
06-21-2009, 10:09 AM

When I follow the link to WND that is the title of the story?
"Public outcry forces 'hate crimes' hearing
Hundreds of thousands of letters delivered to Senate members"

linda22003
06-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Yeah, WND never misleads at all with its stories. :rolleyes:

Rockntractor
06-21-2009, 10:38 AM
Yeah, WND never misleads at all with its stories. :rolleyes:

Then WND misled not Moo.

linda22003
06-21-2009, 10:43 AM
It's a pretty safe bet either way.

Rockntractor
06-21-2009, 10:45 AM
It's a pretty safe bet either way.

Poor Moo! He is so unloved.

wilbur
06-21-2009, 11:13 AM
Meg, you know better.

Actually, I don't think he does.

Rockntractor
06-21-2009, 11:29 AM
Actually, I don't think he does.

Wilbur agrees with all of you. I'm out of here!

megimoo
06-21-2009, 02:51 PM
You sure like to create misleading thread titles.What's misleading about the headline Gator ?

megimoo
06-21-2009, 02:58 PM
Wilbur agrees with all of you. I'm out of here!
Wilbur and the Nazi are a matching set of liberals ! Pay them the appropriate degree of courtesy that they deserve !

megimoo
06-21-2009, 03:07 PM
When I follow the link to WND that is the title of the story?
"Public outcry forces 'hate crimes' hearing
Hundreds of thousands of letters delivered to Senate members"625,000 to be exact,wheres the problem ?

Rockntractor
06-21-2009, 03:17 PM
625,000 to be exact,wheres the problem ?

I am just a dumb redneck I'm sure it is obvious to others.

megimoo
06-21-2009, 03:34 PM
What's missleading about the headlines ?BTW who changed the original headline I posted.Headlines are a function of the editor or poster subject only to the (supposed) good taste of the mods.

If I post and change the headlines to reflect what the story tells me how does that defy reason ?
I have a question for FlaGator ?What is Barney Franks intent with this bill ? Does it indeed give special protection to Homosexual deviates aka Pedophiles ?Is the title that I used before one of the mods changed included in the story ?About the only reason for not changing the original headlines that I can think of is to prevent duplicates !

....And finally Is there a new/old, hard fast ,rule in writing against changing headlines that I haven't seen ?

Shannon
06-21-2009, 03:37 PM
I am just a dumb redneck I'm sure it is obvious to others.

It is obvious to others that you are just a dumb redneck. We choose to keep you around anyway.

Rockntractor
06-21-2009, 03:39 PM
It is obvious to others that you are just a dumb redneck. We choose to keep you around anyway.

Thank you shannon!

megimoo
06-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Actually, I don't think he does.Your agenda is obvious to all Wilbur !