PDA

View Full Version : France Moves to Impose Ban on Burqa

PoliCon
06-22-2009, 01:47 PM
France Moves to Impose Ban on Burqa
By Lisa Bryant
Paris
19 June 2009

A woman wearing the niqab walks in the Belsunce district of downtown Marseille, central France, 19 Jun 2009
A woman wearing the niqab walks in the Belsunce district of downtown Marseille, central France, 19 Jun 2009
The French government says it may impose restrictions on wearing the burqa, or face-and-body-covering veil, if a parliamentary probe finds the garment degrading for women. The burqa debate is dividing politicians and the Muslim community.

Government spokesman Luc Chatel became the latest politician to wade into a growing debate over the burqa in France, telling French television on Friday the government may consider curbs on wearing the head-to-toe garment if it is found to be degrading for women.

A group of nearly 60 French lawmakers are asking for a parliamentary panel to consider restrictions on the burqa, which is also called the niqab.

Burqas are not at all common in France, but women can occasionally be spotted wearing them in the streets. And in this staunchly secular country, the garment has sparked a fierce debate, dividing the center right government and even the Muslim community. Many, like immigration minister Eric Besson, are airing their views in a series of radio and television interviews.

CONTINUED (http://www.voanews.com/english/2009-06-19-voa51.cfm)

PoliCon
06-22-2009, 01:48 PM
I'm afriad it's going to prove to be too little too late.

stsinner
06-22-2009, 02:00 PM
Mods, could we merge the two threads created two minutes apart.... :D

PoliCon
06-22-2009, 02:11 PM
Difference is - I did not use an AP source. :p Mine legal - yours isn't. :p