PDA

View Full Version : Six killed in Washington-area Metro train collision

SarasotaRepub
06-22-2009, 09:27 PM
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A rush-hour collision Monday between two Metro trains north of downtown Washington, D.C., killed at least six people and injured scores, Mayor Adrian Fenty said.

He called it the deadliest crash in the history of the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, known as Metro. One of the dead was the female operator of one of the trains, Metro officials said.

"The scene is as horrific as you can imagine," Fenty said in a news conference. "One car was almost squeezed completely together."

LINKY (http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/06/22/washington.subway.crash/index.html)

:(

Elspeth
06-22-2009, 09:52 PM
My best friend lives in Takoma Park and this is her train. She was sick today or she would have been riding it home. She totally freaked out when she saw the crash on TV and she recognized some of the people coming out of the train as the folks she travels with everyday.

She's more calm now, but Jeez!:eek:

linda22003
06-23-2009, 08:00 AM
As of this morning, nine have died. It's astonishing to see the pictures of the two trains since they're saying it's a collision from the rear.

noonwitch
06-23-2009, 01:07 PM
As of this morning, nine have died. It's astonishing to see the pictures of the two trains since they're saying it's a collision from the rear.

From the images I saw on tv, it looked like one train drove up under the other one.

I don't know how this can happen, I assume someone was high or drunk.

linda22003
06-23-2009, 01:19 PM
Naturally, we won't know that until toxicology tests are done. The Post did report this morning that the driver of the second train, who was killed, was very low on the seniority list. She had been with the transit agency for about two years.

Teetop
06-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Naturally, we won't know that until toxicology tests are done. The Post did report this morning that the driver of the second train, who was killed, was very low on the seniority list. She had been with the transit agency for about two years.

Just a wild guess; texting?

linda22003
06-23-2009, 03:55 PM
There hasn't been any mention of it, or speculation on what might have happened. The only thing I've heard is that apparently the brakes were never applied.

Teetop
06-23-2009, 04:25 PM
There hasn't been any mention of it, or speculation on what might have happened. The only thing I've heard is that apparently the brakes were never applied.

From the Drudge Report;

National Transportation Safety Board member Debbie Hersman said all "perishable data" has been collected in the first phase of the investigation and that the agency will now begin looking at such documents as cell-phone records, which includes accounts of text messages. (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/jun/23/metro-train-crash-investigators-focusing-sensors/)

I have a friend, who's wife almost died, texting while driving....What idiots.

linda22003
06-24-2009, 08:04 AM
This morning's report from the NTSB is that apparently the emergency brake was engaged, but too late to do any good.

It's been just delightful reading a thread on this at FR, where several posts have been removed because they were saying "who cares, it's only dead liberals". I wonder if they are aware that among the dead are a retired Major General and his wife; the Major General was the man who ordered jets scrambled over DC on September 11th.

Elspeth
06-24-2009, 12:59 PM
This morning's report from the NTSB is that apparently the emergency brake was engaged, but too late to do any good.

It's been just delightful reading a thread on this at FR, where several posts have been removed because they were saying "who cares, it's only dead liberals". I wonder if they are aware that among the dead are a retired Major General and his wife; the Major General was the man who ordered jets scrambled over DC on September 11th.

Can you post a link to the info about the Major General?

linda22003
06-24-2009, 01:04 PM
Retired National Guard General, Wife Among Metrorail Dead
National Guard Bureau
Story by Staff Sgt. Jim Greenhill
Date: 06.24.2009
Posted: 06.24.2009 11:15

ARLINGTON, Va. A former District of Columbia National Guard commanding general, who on Sept. 11, 2001, ordered jets to scramble to protect the nation's capital, died in the June 22 Metrorail crash in Washington.

Retired Air Force Maj. Gen. David Wherley and his wife, Ann, a mortgage banker, both 62, died in the crash, said Maj. Gen. Errol R. Schwartz, the current commanding general of the D.C. National Guard.

http://www.dvidshub.net/?script=news/news_show.php&id=35565

linda22003
06-24-2009, 01:08 PM
Retired Major General Wherley Died in Crash

WASHINGTON -- The deadliest rail crash in the history of the capital's Metrorail system claimed the life of one of its leading citizens.

Major Gen. David Wherley Jr., retired commanding general of the District of Columbia National Guard, and his wife, Ann, both 62 years old, were among the nine people killed when a southbound train slammed into the back of a stationary train near the Maryland border.

Washington Mayor Adrian Fenty on Tuesday announced the identity of several victims near the crash site, where Washington-area responders completed their recovery efforts and turned the scene over to federal investigators. He called Gen. Wherley "as fine a public servant as anyone I have ever met."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124581129913745441.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Elspeth
06-24-2009, 01:11 PM
Retired Major General Wherley Died in Crash

WASHINGTON -- The deadliest rail crash in the history of the capital's Metrorail system claimed the life of one of its leading citizens.

Major Gen. David Wherley Jr., retired commanding general of the District of Columbia National Guard, and his wife, Ann, both 62 years old, were among the nine people killed when a southbound train slammed into the back of a stationary train near the Maryland border.

Washington Mayor Adrian Fenty on Tuesday announced the identity of several victims near the crash site, where Washington-area responders completed their recovery efforts and turned the scene over to federal investigators. He called Gen. Wherley "as fine a public servant as anyone I have ever met."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124581129913745441.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Thank you for these. Did they mention Wherley on the news?

linda22003
06-24-2009, 01:13 PM
In the Washington area, it's been big news. He was a big deal here in town. He was commander of a fighter wing at Andrews AFB before his retirement.