PDA

View Full Version : Monica Conyers pleads guilty to conspiracy

bijou
06-26-2009, 12:03 PM
http://cmsimg.freep.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=C4&Date=20090626&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=90626024&Ref=AR&Profile=1003&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

Detroit City Council President Pro Tem Monica Conyers pleaded guilty this morning to conspiring to commit bribery and is free on personal bond.
Advertisement

U.S. District Judge Avern Cohn said, "The defendant now stands convicted."

The one count of conspiring to commit bribery is punishable by up to five years in prison.

No sentencing date has been set. ...

http://www.freep.com/article/20090626/NEWS01/90626024/Conyers+convicted+of+conspiracy

noonwitch
06-26-2009, 12:10 PM
This is good news for Detroit. I hope she gets at least a couple years time out of it. I feel somewhat badly for John, who is much too old to be raising their little kids on his own, however.

It's actually good for John, in the long run. Monica was not good for his reputation. He used to run a good constituent services office before he married her, and let her people take it over. She has cost him relationships with long-time political allies in this area.

PoliCon
06-26-2009, 01:07 PM
This should cost John all his leadership roles and he should be investigated as well. Either he was in on it - or he's too damn stupid and blind to be in such leadership positions.

noonwitch
06-29-2009, 12:40 PM
This should cost John all his leadership roles and he should be investigated as well. Either he was in on it - or he's too damn stupid and blind to be in such leadership positions.

I have heard rumors about the nature of their marriage, but none from reliable sources, so I don't want to spread unfounded rumors. What I hear that I will repeat is that he's in Washington most of the time and she's in Detroit. He married her when she was young (she's my age) and he was in his 60s at the time. People in Detroit say that he married her because he wanted to have kids, because he had been a life-long bachelor. She had some kids, he sent her to law school, and the next thing you know, she's on city council.

But he'll stay in congress, even if the dems do strip him of some of his leadership roles. No republican is going to challenge him in 2010, at least none that will get any votes out of the majority of his district, which is the west side of Detroit and some of the downriver suburbs. The mentality around town is that he's a good man being laid low by a low-class hootchie mama.