PDA

View Full Version : Chicago's a real trendsetter

stsinner
06-26-2009, 04:31 PM
From Fark:

Not content with having five of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the US, Chicago polishes its 2016 Olympic credentials by finishing gold and silver in US infection rates for Gonorrhea and Chlamydia (http://www.suntimes.com/news/education/1640738,CST-EDT-std26.article)

Now that's funny-I don't care who you are...

stsinner
06-29-2009, 02:42 PM
Six Men Shot Dead In 24 Hours In Chicago
Several Others Shot Or Stabbed And Wounded
CHICAGO (CBS) ―
Shootings claimed the lives of six men in the city in a bloody and violent 24 hours over the weekend.

Paging Full Auto... (http://cbs2chicago.com/local/chicago.weekend.violence.2.1063832.html)

ralph wiggum
06-29-2009, 02:56 PM
Just out of curiosity, have you ever been to Chicago?

stsinner
06-29-2009, 03:25 PM

I've been several times on business.. I HATE O'hare!! I've never been into or out of that airport on time!

But I have not been to the parts of Chicago that are making the news these days... I've mainly been restricted to business districts and my hotel. Normally I will drive the rental car around the city where I'm working just for the experience and to take pictures, but I've never had the opportunity in Chicago.

Why do you ask?

ralph wiggum
06-29-2009, 03:39 PM
I've been several times on business.. I HATE O'hare!! I've never been into or out of that airport on time!

But I have not been to the parts of Chicago that are making the news these days... I've mainly been restricted to business districts and my hotel. Normally I will drive the rental car around the city where I'm working just for the experience and to take pictures, but I've never had the opportunity in Chicago.

Why do you ask?

I was just curious. It's easy to bash major cities when one hasn't lived there.

Of course there are plenty of parts of the city which are crime ridden. But there are also beautiful and safe residential areas. I lived in the city proper for 8 years, and our neighborhood was incredibly safe.

stsinner
06-29-2009, 03:41 PM
I was just curious. It's easy to bash major cities when one hasn't lived there.

Of course there are plenty of parts of the city which are crime ridden. But there are also beautiful and safe residential areas. I lived in the city proper for 8 years, and our neighborhood was incredibly safe.

Just as with any state/city with a bad reputation.. The bad news is what makes a city's reputation, wouldn't you agree? The same with people, too.. You're only as good as the last bad thing you did or screwed up... I'm not passing judgment, but rather reporting actual news stories. I would never insult FA's home city. :D He's a gun nut!

noonwitch
06-29-2009, 04:00 PM
Just as with any state/city with a bad reputation.. The bad news is what makes a city's reputation, wouldn't you agree? The same with people, too.. You're only as good as the last bad thing you did or screwed up... I'm not passing judgment, but rather reporting actual news stories. I would never insult FA's home city. :D He's a gun nut!

The only reason Chicago is surpassing Detroit in those numbers is because Detroit is all murdered out.

satanica
06-30-2009, 08:26 AM

I live here. You guys are not tough enough to bounce around here. Trust me. Your kind isn't welcome here, I suggest you drive around Illinois if you are near here

noonwitch
06-30-2009, 08:38 AM
I live here. You guys are not tough enough to bounce around here. Trust me. Your kind isn't welcome here, I suggest you drive around Illinois if you are near here

I am tough enough. Muggers run from me and I don't even carry a weapon.

Sonnabend
06-30-2009, 09:04 AM
, I suggest you drive around Illinois if you are near here

My arent we tough.

satanica
06-30-2009, 09:08 AM
My arent we tough.

Yes I am.

djones520
06-30-2009, 09:27 AM
Yes I am.

Sure you are dipshit. :rolleyes: Who can doubt any claim coming from someone on the internet. Not just anyone on the internet though. Someone who apparently doesn't have enough of a life to do anything but troll this place.

Shannon
06-30-2009, 09:46 AM

LOL! This just made my morning.:p

ralph wiggum
06-30-2009, 12:02 PM

ROFL!!!!!!!! You're hilarious.

djones520
06-30-2009, 12:19 PM
BTW, I live in Illinois dipshit. About 5 minutes from E St. Louis. Now THATS a tough area.

satanica
06-30-2009, 03:41 PM
edited

djones520
06-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Supercrash's offensive post......

Let me lower myself to your level for a minute.

Tough guy Supercrash.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii245/ezcomeezgo/InternetToughGuy.jpg

RobJohnson
07-01-2009, 11:26 PM
Chicago is awesome.

I worked out of Chicago for a while and had to travel there a couple times a month. I always enjoyed my visits.

Lanie
07-01-2009, 11:27 PM

You are a dumb butt.

MrsSmith
07-01-2009, 11:38 PM

The times I've been in Chicago, I felt pretty welcome. I walked all over the first time, was very impressed with some of the architecture. I had several people approach me, asking for money, but no trouble with everyone. Maybe you're the only one they don't like. (I can sort of see why...) :D

ralph wiggum
07-02-2009, 12:02 AM
The times I've been in Chicago, I felt pretty welcome. I walked all over the first time, was very impressed with some of the architecture. I had several people approach me, asking for money, but no trouble with everyone. Maybe you're the only one they don't like. (I can sort of see why...) :D

But you weren't wearing your "I'm a FUNDIE" buttons.... :D

Most of the Dems in Chicago are middle of the road folks. They vote Democrat because there is no alternative. Or rarely an alternative.

RobJohnson
07-02-2009, 12:20 AM

Most of the Dems in Chicago are middle of the road folks. They vote Democrat because there is no alternative. Or rarely an alternative.

That is what I found in the Quad City area also.

Japandroid
07-02-2009, 02:14 AM
Chicago is a cool city.

noonwitch
07-02-2009, 08:53 AM
I haven't been to Chicago in a while, but I always liked going there. Mostly, I took day trips to shop downtown, or field trips to the museums/Shedd's Aquarium.

One of my favorite teenaged family memories is of a weekend I spent there with my sister and parents. We had just dropped my older brother off at Marquette University, and my dad took us to Chicago to "celebrate" on the way home to GR. He gave my mom "his" credit cards and told her to gol shopping, while he went to Zimmerman's to buy the booze for his company X-mas party. We went to Watertower Place and bought tons of new clothes and other crap we didn't really need. We ran into some of our neighbors at the mall, and had breakfast with them the next morning at the Hyatt, where they were staying (we were at the Holiday Inn on Lakeshore DR, with the revolving restaurant, that is now a Day's Inn). The night after the spend-fest, dad took us to Trader Vic's for dinner, which is still on my list of top ten meals I've ever eaten. Then we walked back to the hotel, which was a really long walk. We also went to the aquarium at some point in that time, and Navy Pier. It was the weekend before I started my senior year of high school, and I was going home to have the "kid's car" all to myself!

That's why as a Detroit area person, I really sympathize with Chicago having this bad image because of the crime there. All through the 80s, Detroit had these really awful child homicide victim statistics. It's one of those things that changed everything for the city.

Rebel Yell
07-02-2009, 09:56 AM

Back when you were Eyelids, you were a middle class black kid who lived in the suburbs and didn't venture into that part of the city, because you were too good for that.

satanica
07-02-2009, 09:59 AM

Middle of the road ?

My Senators were Durbin and Obama ...the republicans tagged them as the two most liberal senators in the senate

But now Chicago is middle of the road ? ...take a hike.

Sonnabend
07-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Back when you were Eyelids, you were a middle class black kid who lived in the suburbs and didn't venture into that part of the city, because you were too good for that.

He isnt Eyelids,at least Blinky made sense. :rolleyes:

Constitutionally Speaking
07-02-2009, 02:41 PM

I used to live there. I, however was SMART enough to leave!!! I hear there ARE some idiots who think living in a crime infested cesspool is cool though. I personally don't know anyone that stupid though. Do you???

Sonnabend
07-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by satanica http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/images/twisteddark/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/showthread.php?p=151027#post151027)

http://www.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/0003qk4b.thumbnail.jpg

expat-pattaya
07-02-2009, 09:21 PM
http://www.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/0003qk4b.thumbnail.jpg

I had to steal your photo. Priceless.

As for Chicago, I like it. Great sports town and lots of good restaurants. The biggest problem with Chicago is the wind in the winter. Cuts like a knife. :eek:

Japandroid
07-02-2009, 09:23 PM
The weather in general is atrocious, not just in the winter. It would be super cool if we got the Olympics, is a gorgeous city.

stsinner
07-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Good Lord!! What model Ford truck is that?? I have to have one!! That's even bigger than a F-550, which our ambulances are!!

Japandroid
07-02-2009, 09:25 PM
I used to live there. I, however was SMART enough to leave!!! I hear there ARE some idiots who think living in a crime infested cesspool is cool though. I personally don't know anyone that stupid though. Do you???

Oh come on, north of Division there is like 0 crime that you have to worried unless you aren't locking your bike. The Loop is the same way. Go the any poor neighborhood of any urban area and you'll find crime.

Rockntractor
07-02-2009, 09:45 PM
Oh come on, north of Division there is like 0 crime that you have to worried unless you aren't locking your bike. The Loop is the same way. Go the any poor neighborhood of any urban area and you'll find crime.

Locking your bike? How old are you?

Lanie
07-02-2009, 11:49 PM

(Raises hand).

I don't appreciate being called an idiot. I want to live in a big city because in all honesty, I have a big hatred for small town mentality. It's snobbish, busy body like. If you pooted, the entire town will know about it. There is no such thing as private information or a personal life in a small town IMO. In my case, it's often racist to the core. I'm sure I could find a small town without the racism though.

I also like cities because they have more to do. They have museums, clubs, lakes, and parks. Also, as a Catholic, I can probably find a church that I want to go to there easier than where I'm at. I know there's crime, but I'd rather take my chances.

07-03-2009, 07:40 AM

I lived there while Cabrini Green was still there. I'm telling you that was bad.

07-03-2009, 07:45 AM
(Raises hand).

I don't appreciate being called an idiot. I want to live in a big city because in all honesty, I have a big hatred for small town mentality. It's snobbish, busy body like. If you pooted, the entire town will know about it. There is no such thing as private information or a personal life in a small town IMO. In my case, it's often racist to the core. I'm sure I could find a small town without the racism though.

I also like cities because they have more to do. They have museums, clubs, lakes, and parks. Also, as a Catholic, I can probably find a church that I want to go to there easier than where I'm at. I know there's crime, but I'd rather take my chances.

Not dumping on city life here- (although I prefer to live in rural areas) - just Supercrash's bragging about crime rates.

I can drive to a city anytime I wish, but I want to live where I cannot see another house unless I make an effort. I like privacy. I like to view wildlife and I LOVE an unencumbered view of a trout stream, lake, valley or snow-capped mountains. City lights?? not so much.

expat-pattaya
07-03-2009, 08:35 AM
The weather in general is atrocious, not just in the winter. It would be super cool if we got the Olympics, is a gorgeous city.

Well, as a guy who splits time between Thailand and Arizona I am pretty immune to heat :D

Winter on the other hand is a bitch kitty IMO :eek:

stsinner
07-03-2009, 10:34 AM
(Raises hand).

That was a pretty ignorant post.. I live in a town of only 10,000 people, and for me it's much better than city life because we don't have the constant city bus traffic belching clouds of black smoke, the cars with the bass shaking our foundation and waking our napping daughters up, the murders or even fights, and the air is healthier, and our kids can play in the streets without fear of them getting abducted or murdered.. That's small town living to me. My sons ride their bikes all day all over our town and I don't worry about them. People look out for each other, and that's one good thing about small town life-people know my kid, and for that reason he knows not to act like an idiot when he's out and about because we'll hear about it.

So what if people know your business in a small town-I prefer that to no one even knowing you exist in a big city. And we can easily get in the car and drive to the museum, the New England Aquarium, the Ocean, or any other city attraction we want to, and since they're not in our front yard, it's more of a treat when we do those things.. We're 1 hour from the Ocean and Boston. That's perfect for me.

Also, we have Town Hall meetings where the people vote on things that we want or don't want, as opposed to not having a voice in the city..

lacarnut
07-03-2009, 10:55 AM
(Raises hand).

C.S. remark was addressed at Satanica not at you. Learn how to read! Good for you; you hate small towns. I hate ignorant liberals. Now we are even.

Lanie
07-03-2009, 04:21 PM
Not dumping on city life here- (although I prefer to live in rural areas) - just Supercrash's bragging about crime rates.

I can drive to a city anytime I wish, but I want to live where I cannot see another house unless I make an effort. I like privacy. I like to view wildlife and I LOVE an unencumbered view of a trout stream, lake, valley or snow-capped mountains. City lights?? not so much.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. :)

I find the idea of living in the city to be exciting. I do love to drive through the country though.

Japandroid
07-04-2009, 04:14 AM
Locking your bike? How old are you?

Old enough to not leave my possessions out in the open without some form off theft deterrent? Haha good luck driving in a city, faster (and cheaper) to just ride your bike.

PoliCon
07-04-2009, 11:49 AM

Then they should make an alternative - from what you say they don't have the mental retardation problems that dems here in Pittsburgh have where they would vote for Satan over Jesus if Satan was the democratic candidate!

Rockntractor
07-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Old enough to not leave my possessions out in the open without some form off theft deterrent? Haha good luck driving in a city, faster (and cheaper) to just ride your bike.

That’s one way to make your allowance go further

MrsSmith
07-04-2009, 03:10 PM
(Raises hand).

Cities suck. They're full of people like droid, satin, and blinky...and the DUmp crowd. The vast majority of the drivers have no clue how to maintain a decent following distance...and can't figure out why so many wrecks turn into mutli-car pile-ups. A person can be screaming for an hour, and no one will respond. People can freeze to death on the sidewalk, and no one stops.

At least in small towns, the mentality is usually that "we're all in this together," and those nosey neighbors are willing to call the cops, report break-ins, put out fires and help out when needed. In my own small town, even neighbors that don't get along will respond with help in emergencies.

Full-Auto
07-05-2009, 01:00 AM
I'm not passing judgment, but rather reporting actual news stories. I would never insult FA's home city. :D He's a gun nut!

It's not my home city, I live in Indiana. :) Chicago is just where I earn a living and pay taxes. I like the city as far as it being a cool place to work. Lots of diversity and plenty to do when I'm not at my desk. At 5pm I'm on my way back home to a free state.

stsinner
07-05-2009, 01:03 AM
Cities suck.

'nuff said.

However, I did have to go into Boston one night because my son broke his arm and was taken to Mass General... I did take an interest in how the college kids walked with backpacks, people sat at sidewalk cafes and life was pretty much still going on at 10:30pm... I think I'd like that, but I don't think I'd trade the crime rate and noise level and fighting for a parking space for it... Nope.. Small town living is the life for me.