PDA

View Full Version : Teenager Jumps To Her Death From Eiffel Tower

megimoo
06-27-2009, 01:30 AM
Teenager Jumps To Her Death From Eiffel Tower, Crashing Onto Roof Of Packed Restaurant 180Ft Below

A teenage tourist has leapt to her death from the Eiffel Tower in Paris and crashed onto the roof of a packed restaurant 180ft below.

The 18-year-old Brazilian girl jumped from a second-storey tier as her brother frantically tried to stop her. Diners on the tower's 170ft-high first floor then heard her smash into the plastic roof of the restaurant, believed to be Altitude 95, five feet above their heads. Altitude 95, on the first tier of the Eiffel... snip

A waiter said after the tragedy on Thursday afternoon: 'It was a shocking moment.
'The smashing noise was like a bomb going off as the roof cracked, then everyone there very quickly realised what had happened.

'But the most bizarre thing was, most of the customers just carried on eating. I have no idea why they did that.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1195752/A-teenage-tourist-hurls-death-Eiffel-Tower-crashing-roof-packed-restaurant-180ft-below.html

PoliCon
06-27-2009, 01:43 AM
'But the most bizarre thing was, most of the customers just carried on eating. I have no idea why they did that.'

very telling . . . .

Speedy
06-27-2009, 08:57 PM

very telling . . . .

I don't know about you, but I kinda see it like those diners did. That kid's life was not even worth the interuption of a meal. If you are taking your own life, it should not be.

Poli in this world there are two kinds of people. Those who say "Why?" and those like me who stand under the jumper and yell, "Jump!"

Rockntractor
06-27-2009, 08:59 PM
The I fell tower. Just sayin.

Shannon
06-27-2009, 09:14 PM

Groan.

Bubba Dawg
06-27-2009, 09:28 PM

nice.....that's how you get to be a Legend son.....

stsinner
06-27-2009, 10:18 PM
She must have heard about the Cap and Trade bill passing the House.

Lanie
06-28-2009, 02:44 AM
That's really horrible. What's worse are people who just went on eating. I hope it was a good meal. Is it possible they didn't hear or see it?

Sheatwole
06-29-2009, 02:46 PM
What could they have done though? They could have run out and gawked at the poor girl, or continued what they were doing and not completely lost their appetite... That's how crowds form and videos of dead teenagers end up on the internet.

Gingersnap
06-29-2009, 02:52 PM
What could they have done though? They could have run out and gawked at the poor girl, or continued what they were doing and not completely lost their appetite... That's how crowds form and videos of dead teenagers end up on the internet.

They could have asked for their checks, paid up, and left. While I have no great sympathy for suicides, a human being did die there and she was somebody's daughter.

stsinner
06-29-2009, 03:33 PM
That's really horrible. What's worse are people who just went on eating. I hope it was a good meal. Is it possible they didn't hear or see it?

It was obviously too late. Nothing to do now but to finish your meal before it gets cold.. I'm sure there were enough rubber-neckers outside making things impossible for the recovery.

noonwitch
06-29-2009, 03:59 PM

Good point about videos on the internet.

What is it with the french? Don't they have an idiot-proof guardrail on that thing? I've been up in three large buildings on tours-the Empire State Building, the Sears Tower and the CN tower. You could not jump from any of those, because they had these cement barriers up. I know people have jumped from the Sears Tower in the past, before they put up the barriers, but I don't think that's possible anymore. Plus, after 9-11, there is a lot of security at those kind of places.

Even the Golden Gate bridge, with all it's suicides over the years, has some level of security. If a person lingers on the side too long, a cop will come along to talk to him.

The Ambassador Bridge has occasional suicides, but really not that many. In metro Detroit, we've had a few suicides off freeway overpasses in recent years. I think those people are more than just suicidal, they are homicidal because they obviously have no concern for the people driving on the freeway.

linda22003
06-30-2009, 08:02 AM
The summit of the tower is entirely caged in (you have to take pictures through the wide mesh), but you can, if determined, climb up on the fences surrounding the first and second floors. You can't fall off accidentally, certainly.