PDA

View Full Version : Obama says coup in Honduras is illegal

Teetop
06-29-2009, 11:01 PM
Can you say, "paper tiger?" (http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUKTRE55S5J220090629?sp=true)

He should know about illegal...

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Barack Obama said on Monday the coup that ousted Honduran President Manuel Zelaya was illegal and would set a "terrible precedent" of transition by military force unless it was reversed.

"We believe that the coup was not legal and that President Zelaya remains the president of Honduras, the democratically elected president there," Obama told reporters after an Oval Office meeting with Colombian President Alvaro Uribe.

Zelaya, in office since 2006, was overthrown in a dawn coup on Sunday after he angered the judiciary, Congress and the army by seeking constitutional changes that would allow presidents to seek re-election beyond a four-year term.

After the Courts in Honduras told the military he was not within the laws of Honduras? So, the military ousted his butt?

"TERRIBLE PRECEDENT"

Despite Obama's comments, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said the administration was not formally designating the ouster as a military coup for now, a step that would force a cut-off of most U.S. aid to Honduras.

Gotta check polling numbers, ya know.... :rolleyes:

Asked if the United States was currently considering cutting off aid, Clinton shook her head no.

Things that make ya go, Hmmmmm....

"If we were able to get to a ... status quo that returned to the rule of law and constitutional order within a relatively short period of time, I think that would be a good outcome," Clinton said.

That's all that matters, the status quo.....

Teetop
06-29-2009, 11:21 PM
Via Joshuapundit.com (http://joshuapundit.blogspot.com/2009/06/obama-and-honduras-shuffle.html)

To give you an idea of how far to the Left the Obama Administration is, we have the amazing spectacle of this Presdent and his Secretary of State gnashing their teeth and making common cause with Venezuala's Hugo Chavez and Cuba's Castro in their disapproval and anger over the removal of a Communist Latin American dictator!

Here's the story in a nutshell. Honduran President Manuel Zelaya, an Hugo chavez wanna-be, tried to unilaterally change the Honduran Constitution to allow him to become in effect president-for-life.To do so, he attempted to run through an illegal referendum.

The Honduran Supreme Court warned him that this was a violation of Honduras law,but Zelaya continued to try to muscle this through.

Since the referendum had been pronounced illegal by both the Supreme Court and the Electoral board the government refused to print the ballots an dno privat eprinter was willing to do so, so Zelaya actually had the ballots printed in Venezuela and flown in.

When the military (who would normally distribute ballots) refused to do so,
Zelaya fired General Vásquez, head of the armed forces and his supporters took the ballots from the warehouse where they were being held and attempted to distribute them anyway in defiance of the Supreme Court, Honduras' electoral law and the Constitution.

In response the Honduran Congress, including members of Zelaya's own party reinstated Vasquez, passed a law against holding referendums 180 days before or after general elections and established a commission, which found Zelaya in gross violation of his country's laws. TheHonduran Attorney General then requested Zelaya's impeachment. After the proceedings, The Honduran Congress and authorized the military to arrest him, remove him from office and put him on a plane bound for Costa Rica.

So this 'coup' was performed by the Supreme court, the Congress, the Attorney general and pretty much every branch of the Honduran government!

So what was Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton's response to this? Do you even have to wonder?

It's illegal.... :rolleyes:

Obama called the so-called 'coup' illegal and "a terrible precedent."

Isn't that just lovely? North Korean nukes? No comment.Iran butchers its citizens in the streets and foments Islamist terrorism world wide? Hey, we still want to extend that outstretched hand and the Mullahs have the right to nukes too, no? Syria murders political opponents, gets caught with an illegal North Korean reactor and supports and finances Hezbollah? Let's just restore full diplomatic relations and not quibble about little things like that.

But Honduras legally ousting a leftist would be dictator? Now that's crossing the red line!

One might almost call Honduras the Israel of Latin America. At least as far as the Barry Zero and Hillary Clinton are concerned.

This man has no backbone. :cool:

Rockntractor
06-29-2009, 11:31 PM
Some one needs to explain this to me. How come just because a man wins an election does he have the right to make the most powerful nation in the world into his play toy for four years. He reverses all foreign policy. Turns the white house into a party place. Our courts bow to him. Both houses bow to him. When did we switch to monarchy? Every voting conservative should march to their state capital and demand a constitutional convention. We could then vote to dissolve the federal government and start over. Or I guess I could go in the kitchen and get some peach pie and ice cream.

NJCardFan
06-29-2009, 11:35 PM
And to think we have 3 1/2 more years of this.

Rockntractor
06-29-2009, 11:39 PM
Boy that woman makes some good peach pie!

stsinner
06-29-2009, 11:39 PM
I'm always excited to learn of yet another place that we're, "Sending aid, "

Teetop
06-29-2009, 11:40 PM
Some one needs to explain this to me. How come just because a man wins an election does he have the right to make the most powerful nation in the world into his play toy for four years. He reverses all foreign policy. Turns the white house into a party place. Our courts bow to him. Both houses bow to him. When did we switch to monarchy? Every voting conservative should march to their state capital and demand a constitutional convention. We could then vote to dissolve the federal government and start over. Or I guess I could go in the kitchen and get some peach pie and ice cream.

Shut-up, peon! Kiss the King's ring. :eek:

Teetop
06-29-2009, 11:41 PM
Boy that woman makes some good peach pie!

If you're talking about SHillary's butt, you're a sick puppy!

Rockntractor
06-29-2009, 11:42 PM
If you're talking about SHillary's butt, you're a sick puppy!

No ! But I am a sick puppy!

Teetop
06-29-2009, 11:46 PM
No ! But I am a sick puppy!

Brothers of different mothers....

:D

stsinner
06-30-2009, 12:00 AM
Here's a shocking headline title from Drudge:

OBAMA LASHES OUT AT HONDURAS; SIDES WITH CHAVEZ, CASTRO

Who would have ever guess that one?

Teetop
06-30-2009, 12:04 AM

95% of us at CU? :)

Speedy
06-30-2009, 06:12 AM

The really scary part is that he has been so insulated from the real world by leftists for so much of his life, he actually believes that the majority of people in the US agrees with him.

satanica
06-30-2009, 09:01 AM
Some one needs to explain this to me.

I can do that.

How come just because a man wins an election does he have the right to make the most powerful nation in the world into his play toy for four years.

It's called an election, the country votes for their leader, then he leads.

He reverses all foreign policy.

LOL, nice try. I must admit that I don't think we will see Obama going to the beheading capital of the world (Saudi Arabia) and kissing that brutal oil crazed dictator square on the lips.

Thats the kind of change I can believe in ...How about you ?

Both houses bow to him.

Jeeeesh, are you watching ? ..Their are plenty of Dems in both houses that are voting against Obama, in fact, Bush was bowed to more than Obama.

We could then vote to dissolve the federal government and start over.

Just cause you lost an election.

lacarnut
07-01-2009, 12:15 AM
And to think we have 3 1/2 more years of this.

If the Magic Negro has his way, our government and society will look like Cuba or Venezuela with King O at the helm.

Linda
07-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Honduras Political Crises (http://aboututila.com/News/Honduras-2009-Political-Crisis.htm)

This article is from The official web site of Utilla, The Bay Islands, Honduras...the author has been living in Utila, Honduras for the past seven years, and is married to a Honduran and support two Honduran children, one of whom is his adopted daughter.

It is a long but informative article and gives lots of links inside the article to back up what he says.