PDA

View Full Version : Team of Researchers Blames Children's Films for Perpetuating "Heteronormativity"

megimoo
06-30-2009, 01:07 AM
Team of Researchers Blames Children's Films for Perpetuating "Heteronormativity" (What?)

Researchers at the University of Michigan have concluded that the love stories told in classic Disney and other G-rated children's films - such as the Little Mermaid - are partially to blame for the pervasiveness of what they label "heteronormativity."

"Despite the assumption that children's media are free of sexual content, our analyses suggest that these media depict a rich and pervasive heterosexual landscape," wrote researchers Emily Kazyak and Karin Martin, in a report published in the latest issue of the Sociologists for Women in Society (SWS) publication Gender & Society. Kazyak...

http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2009/jun/09062404.html

Gingersnap
06-30-2009, 09:34 AM
I suppose that next they will protest films showing healthy, athletic children since a lot of kids are fat and sick and they'd feel excluded. We really are living in the End Days. :rolleyes:

NJCardFan
06-30-2009, 11:01 AM
This is not true. Sesame Street has had 2 guys living together for 40 years(Bert&Ernie).

AlmostThere
06-30-2009, 05:40 PM
I have to post one quote from this article.

"Both ordinary and exceptional constructions of heterosexuality work to normalize its status because it becomes difficult to imagine anything other than this form of social relationship or anyone outside of these bonds," they concluded.
Heterosexuality needs normalization from mere mortals??? I'm really afraid Ginger could be right about End Days.

CueSi
06-30-2009, 06:34 PM
"Both ordinary and exceptional constructions of heterosexuality work to normalize its status because it becomes difficult to imagine anything other than this form of social relationship or anyone outside of these bonds,"

They haven't taken a spin around the internet much...cause imaginations (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slash_fiction) tend to run wild (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Rule%2034) there.

Between slashfiction and rule 34, you CAN imagine anything.

In your face, science.

~QC

wilbur
06-30-2009, 07:03 PM
I suppose that next they will protest films showing healthy, athletic children since a lot of kids are fat and sick and they'd feel excluded. We really are living in the End Days. :rolleyes:

Where do you see anyone protesting anything?

What we have here is probably nothing more than some invented controversy (unlikely to be questioned or doubted by a certain subset of people) over what is most likely some mundane research. Notice this loaded paragraph below, inferring that these researchers take a polemic position against the presentations of heterosexual gender roles in childrens films, sure to instil the kind of fear that will keep people like megs afraid and clicking, sure that it is the end of days.... it all meshes nicely with the paranoid, anti-academia, anti-science worldviews that have so poisoned the wells in the homophobic right, so its accepted without question, apparently.

"The SWS press release on the research blamed what they called the "old ideals" of romantic relationships, specifically those found the Brothers Grimm fairy tales, which in many instances inspired the films' storylines, for "such heavily gendered depictions and glorified portrayals of heterosexual relationships.""

Blamed? heh..

Well... I pulled the actual report, and turns out I am right.... really no more exiting than research that presents some hypotheses on childrens films and how they might influence the present and future sexual worldviews of children, so-to-speak. Pretty boring stuff for most of us.. Strangely enough, lacking in the report was any actual criticism of Disney films, or other childrens films, and their depictions of heterosexuality, nor was their any call for change in these areas or homosexual activism.

It simply described heteronormativity as a phenomenon, and postulated hypotheses regarding the influence of childrens films in that phenomenon.

stsinner
06-30-2009, 07:12 PM
Strangely enough, lacking in the report was any actual criticism of Disney films, or other childrens films, and their depictions of heterosexuality, nor was their any call for change in these areas.

Yes, it did seem like an, "If it's not broke-don't fix it, " type of report, didn't it..

I'm sure there are some who would really like to see Bambi remade with two male deer who love each other paying a surrogate who was artificially inseminated at the local veterinarian to carry their baby for them, and then spend half of the movie explaining that concept to the 6 year old and then Bambi is born... That's the only fair way.

LOL-Heteronormativity...

wilbur
06-30-2009, 07:22 PM
Yes, it did seem like an, "If it's not broke-don't fix it, " type of report, didn't it..

It didnt even suggest that anything was broken at all.

Shannon
06-30-2009, 07:28 PM
This is not true. Sesame Street has had 2 guys living together for 40 years(Bert&Ernie).

I always wondered if they came up with those names from It's a Wonderful Life.

Gingersnap
06-30-2009, 09:22 PM
Where do you see anyone protesting anything?

I guess you only know a couple of definitions of the English word "protest".

*sigh*