PDA

View Full Version : FDA may put restrictions on Tylenol

Gingersnap
06-30-2009, 10:39 AM
FDA may put restrictions on Tylenol
June 29, 2009

MATTHEW PERRONE

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

ADELPHI, Md. The makers of Tylenol, Excedrin and other medications are trying to dissuade regulators from placing new restrictions on their popular painkillers, including possibly removing some of them from store shelves.

The Food and Drug Administration has assembled more than 35 experts to discuss ways to prevent overdose with acetaminophen the pain-relieving, fever-reducing ingredient in Tylenol and dozens of other prescription and over-the-counter medications.

Despite years of educational campaigns and other federal actions, acetaminophen is the leading cause of liver failure in the U.S., sending 56,000 people to the emergency room annually, according to the FDA.

The agency today asked its experts to consider a range of options: adding a "black box" warning label to the products, lowering the drug dosage in some products, or pulling certain types of medications off the market.

The drugs that could be pulled off shelves are combination medications, such as Procter & Gamble's NyQuil or Novartis' Theraflu, which combine acetaminophen with other ingredients that treat cough and runny nose.

The FDA says patients often pair them with a pure acetaminophen medication, like Tylenol, exposing themselves to unsafe levels of the drug.

But the industry group that represents Johnson & Johnson, Wyeth and other companies defended the products today, saying they pose a relatively small risk to patients.

Only 10 percent of deaths linked to acetaminophen medications involved over-the-counter combination cold medications, according to the Consumer Healthcare Products Association. The majority of deaths were caused by either single-ingredient drugs or prescription strength combination drugs like Percocet, which combines oxycodone and acetaminophen.

"We believe there is a clear health benefit of over-the-counter combination products containing acetaminophen," said Linda Suydam, the group's president.

The FDA is not required to follow the advice of its panels, though it usually does. The panel vote is scheduled for Tuesday afternoon.

Then people will just guess at how many Tylenol pills it takes to make up the difference in their cough syrup. Do these clowns really want people to just guess? Remember, these are the same people who voted for the current administration. :rolleyes:

Healthzone (http://www.healthzone.ca/health/article/658416)

Gingersnap
06-30-2009, 09:26 PM
Bumping for the pained.

Shannon
06-30-2009, 09:35 PM
They better not mess with my Nyquil.

Rockntractor
06-30-2009, 09:38 PM
As far as over the counter pain relievers go aspirin wih caffine works for me.

Gingersnap
06-30-2009, 10:28 PM
They better not mess with my Nyquil.

That's exactly what they will mess with. Nyquil has been declining in Magic Powers over the years. Now, you can probably get the same relief with 3 aspirin, 2 Benedryl, and a shot of vodka.

lurkalot
06-30-2009, 11:00 PM
That's exactly what they will mess with. Nyquil has been declining in Magic Powers over the years. Now, you can probably get the same relief with 3 aspirin, 2 Benedryl, and a shot of vodka.
not quite the recipe will need 1000 mg of tylenol instead of the aspirin, and they voted to lower the maximum dose of two extra strength tylenol from 1000 mg to 750 mg, so the math will get even more complicated! :eek:

I am picturing myself at two in the morning, sick as a dog, no glasses on, standing in a dark kitchen trying to figure out how many 250mg tablets of tylenol I can have with a shot of brandy so as not to exceed the maximum recommended dosage which will most likely be 3 grams in a twenty four hour period, however, since alcohol is involved I would have to reduce the tylenol dosage to avoid further liver damage..oh screw it, I'm stocking up on the "Old" nyquil now!

Gingersnap
06-30-2009, 11:48 PM
not quite the recipe will need 1000 mg of tylenol instead of the aspirin, and they voted to lower the maximum dose of two extra strength tylenol from 1000 mg to 750 mg, so the math will get even more complicated! :eek:

I am picturing myself at two in the morning, sick as a dog, no glasses on, standing in a dark kitchen trying to figure out how many 250mg tablets of tylenol I can have with a shot of brandy so as not to exceed the maximum recommended dosage which will most likely be 3 grams in a twenty four hour period, however, since alcohol is involved I would have to reduce the tylenol dosage to avoid further liver damage..oh screw it, I'm stocking up on the "Old" nyquil now!

She's an actual medical professinal people. If she can't do it, what hope is there for the rest of us? I'm a chemist and I can't do it without making some kind of opiate precusor.:confused:

noonwitch
07-01-2009, 09:49 AM
As long as I can still get ibuprofin and benadryl, I don't really care what they do to aspirin/tylenol.

If I got a passport or an "enhanced driver's license", I could go to Windsor and buy 222s. They work on most pain.

linda22003
07-01-2009, 09:51 AM
I don't care about any of this stuff. I care about what's REALLY important like, what happens when/if they completely discontinue incandescent lightbulbs? We're stocking up in a big way.