PDA

View Full Version : Voight rebuts 'hate speech' tag .Dissent, he says, isn't 'hate'

megimoo
07-02-2009, 09:07 AM
Free speech got a loud boost from Hollywood on Wednesday. Jon Voight has responded to accusations from a critic sympathetic to the American Communist Party, who said the actor had used hate speech and threatened the well-being of President Obama during a recent appearance before Republicans in Washington.

Mr. Voight denied both charges, saying that those who speak out against the Obama administration are "demonized" and "attacked," often with hate speech.

The Academy Award winner's speech before the National Republican Congressional Committee on June 7 was both a political and cultural moment. As a paragon of a new Hollywood conservatism, Mr. Voight spoke bluntly of Republican strategies for 2012 and what he sees as the shortcomings of the Obama administration.

Yet the actor also ignited a public discussion about bitter partisan rivalries and what constitutes threatening language.

Toward the end of his speech, Mr. Voight lauded a list of 23 high-profile Republicans, saying "Let's give thanks to them for staying on course to bring an end to this false prophet, Obama."

The phrase "bring an end" was quickly caught in the echo chamber of news reports and Op-Eds in the aftermath, framed out of context.

Mr. Voight's words brought criticisms from the New York Times, activists and bloggers. But they particularly troubled Teresa Albano, editor of the People's Weekly World -- a Chicago-based publication sympathetic to the Communist Party.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/jul/02/voight-counterpunches/

satanica
07-02-2009, 09:33 AM
I would like to run into thisi idiot.

expat-pattaya
07-02-2009, 09:45 AM

Seems as if anyone you disagree with is then labeled an idiot by you.

Well, I think you are the idiot and hereby won't waste a moment of my life reading your childish crap.

Bye Supercrash/satanica/idiot.

satanica
07-02-2009, 09:49 AM

Well, I think you are the idiot and hereby won't waste a moment of my life reading your childish crap.

Bye Supercrash/satanica/idiot.

Thailand ? ...nuff said.

The adults are talking now, go play.

lacarnut
07-02-2009, 09:54 AM

I don't think he would appreciate meeting a dumb ass kid that's still wet behind the ears.

noonwitch
07-02-2009, 11:49 AM

I hope you learn to spell "this" first.

I don't agree with Voight's assessment of Obama or the 2008 election, but that doesn't mean I don't support his right to free speech. Nothing he said that is cited in this article meets the basic standard of what is called "hate speech". No use of racially or sexually derogatory names, no outward or implied threats of violence, just an opinion you don't like.

megimoo
07-02-2009, 12:56 PM

Bye Supercrash/satanica/idiot.SuperAss sounds like our old Butt Ache Eyepuss !

expat-pattaya
07-02-2009, 01:57 PM
SuperAss sounds like our old Butt Ache Eyepuss !

You know, I don't mind if someone who has different beliefs debates them on this forum. Livens things up. But this guy is just a troll whose mother didn't breast feed him or something. Who knows. Who cares.