PDA

View Full Version : Taking the Lord's name in vain...

stsinner
07-03-2009, 11:41 PM
Now, I'm a Catholic, and I pretty much live my live obeying the 10 Commandments, but one, in particular, has given me pause..

Do not take the Lord's name in vain...

My whole life I thought this meant to not say God Dammit.... But I spoke with a preacher lately who has told me that his interpretation of this means that you shall never call on the Lord to help you and think that your calling is in vain... Two totally differnt interpretations... "Don't curse when saying the Lord's name," as opposed to, "Never think that when you call on the Lord it's in vain.."

You thoughts?

Rockntractor
07-03-2009, 11:54 PM
They are related in interpretation. Every time you use one of the many names of God it is noted by God and his name should never be mentioned by anyone in a disrespectful manner. I use slang but it never contains a reference to Gods name.

megimoo
07-04-2009, 12:44 AM
They are related in interpretation. Every time you use one of the many names of God it is noted by God and his name should never be mentioned by anyone in a disrespectful manner. I use slang but it never contains a reference to Gods name.
The Jews go extremes to avoid even partially dishonoring G*D'S holy name .One of the classic names of G*D is "Yahweh", "Yahweh" and "Jehovah".The Jews Use the name Adonais in daily worship .Jesus refered to his GOD as ABBA or father.

When most people invoke the name GOD as a so called curse they seem to be calling on GOD to curse someone or something and not cursing GOD Himself .

Limiting GODS power by not believing that he is capable of doing something falls into a lack of faith in GODS - omnificence and is not the same to me as cursing GOD holy name .
!

satanica
07-04-2009, 08:24 AM
It would matter if there were a sky daddy floating in the sky above.

But since this is all make believe kids play ...it really doesn't matter.

Fuck god, he IS evil. The god of the bible ordered the slaughter and dismemberment of innocent infants.

If you think the slaugter and dismemberment of kids is somehow justified, then you are a sick fuck.

gator
07-04-2009, 08:49 AM
God understands and forgives me when I occasionally use his name to make a point. He knows I mean no disrespect to Him. He understands that some of his creations are damned. For instance, he has no problems when I use these terms:

Goddamn Yankees.

Goddamn Israelis.

Goddamn Terrorists.

Goddamn Democrats.

djones520
07-04-2009, 08:56 AM

Fuck god, he IS evil. The god of the bible ordered the slaughter and dismemberment of innocent infants.

If you think the slaugter and dismemberment of kids is somehow justified, then you are a sick fuck.

Fuck people like you who give Atheists like me a bad name.

Lars1701a
07-04-2009, 09:14 AM

If there is no sky daddy then how did the Universe come into being?

satanica
07-04-2009, 09:21 AM
If there is no sky daddy then how did the Universe come into being?

LOL. So if I can't answer the giant question of how the universe started ...then by default it must have been made by an unseen sky god that is over looking us from his headquarters ?

Is that how your brain works ? ...If you don't understand how something works it must be the hand of god ?

Anyway, the answer is the universe came to be by a quantum flucuation that expanded (and is still expanding) to the universe we see today.

Rockntractor
07-04-2009, 09:26 AM

They were ugly and they cried to much and would have grown up just like you!

Lars1701a
07-04-2009, 09:40 AM
LOL. So if I can't answer the giant question of how the universe started ...then by default it must have been made by an unseen sky god that is over looking us from his headquarters ?

Is that how your brain works ? ...If you don't understand how something works it must be the hand of god ?

Anyway, the answer is the universe came to be by a quantum flucuation that expanded (and is still expanding) to the universe we see today.

Or be like you and fling poo at any person that is a believer?

satanica
07-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Here are the last two replies to this thread... Man this place is deep.

In response to "why did god kill kids?"

Today 08:21 AM

And then this mess...

Rockntractor
07-04-2009, 09:46 AM

And then this mess...

We are not here for your entertainment sweetheart!

Lars1701a
07-04-2009, 09:47 AM

And then this mess...

You are not worth it, plain and simple. Now go off and blow your hand up with firecrackers or something.

satanica
07-04-2009, 09:48 AM
We are not here for your entertainment sweetheart!

Too late, my wife and I are laughing our asses off.

She really likes the one where Obama is going to hand out suicide pills to old people to kill them off and save health care costs.

Damn, even my dog is laughing.

Lars1701a
07-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Too late, my wife and I are laughing our asses off.

She really likes the one where Obama is going to hand out suicide pills to old people to kill them off and save health care costs.

Damn, even my dog is laughing.

You have a wife? what was his name before the sex change?

djones520
07-04-2009, 09:51 AM

I wonder if he showed her the post he did where he told FlaGator that he wished his mother died a slow painful death. Real class act this guy is. :rolleyes:

Lars1701a
07-04-2009, 10:03 AM
People like supercrash, japondroid etc make me wonder how low their self-esteem is they have to disrupt a message board over and over and over and over again. :confused:

Rockntractor
07-04-2009, 10:08 AM

Japanica!

FlaGator
07-04-2009, 10:48 AM
My understanding of taking the Lord's name in vain is to use it in any way that lacks reference to our Creator or to make demands on Him. Gator is right in that the Lord forgives us when we misuse his name but that is only for believers who specifically ask to be forgiven for their misuse and one must be making a concerted effort to not use with out reverence. When Gator types the word then he is not acting in a manner consistent with his beliefs and is rebelling against the commands of God. Typing is not like uttering in that one can erase the misuse before making it public. When it is used in text messages it shows willful disobedience to the commands of God and is a sign that the Holy Spirit is not present in a person's being.

MrsSmith
07-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Now, I'm a Catholic, and I pretty much live my live obeying the 10 Commandments, but one, in particular, has given me pause..

My whole life I thought this meant to not say God Dammit.... But I spoke with a preacher lately who has told me that his interpretation of this means that you shall never call on the Lord to help you and think that your calling is in vain... Two totally differnt interpretations... "Don't curse when saying the Lord's name," as opposed to, "Never think that when you call on the Lord it's in vain.."

You thoughts?

Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord, thy God, in vain.

I'd say it's based on disrespecting Him, not just by using His name as a curse.

By the standards of the world today, saying His Son's name in any way except as a curse is not "politically correct" in public places. :rolleyes:

Christ told us that the greatest commandment was to love the Lord with all our hearts, souls and minds, which obviously correlates with the First Commandment, so it would seem to be all disrespect, whether word or thought or deed. Possibly that's where your pastor found his interpretation?

On edit, I'd add that doubting His authority over all human life would be both disrespectful and foolish. God is the owner and Creator of every single human life, only He can say when each life should end...hence the great sin of abortion, when mankind makes the choice to end of lives of innocent infants.

FlaGator
07-04-2009, 10:57 AM

And who do you think created the quantum fluctuations and who manipulated the initial conditions of that "random" event in order to produce a universe that was ideally suited to develop a world that has the perfect conditions to sustain life? Who created and introduced the DNA on that world that would eventually become the basis of every living creature including a creature who's DNA gave it the ability to handle complex thoughts and ideas and the ability to reason to such a degree that the creature could irrationally conclude that there is no Creator?

gator
07-04-2009, 11:03 AM
When Gator types the word then he is not acting in a manner consistent with his beliefs and is rebelling against the commands of God. Typing is not like uttering in that one can erase the misuse before making it public. When it is used in text messages it shows willful disobedience to the commands of God and is a sign that the Holy Spirit is not present in a person's being.

The word "goddamn" is a Southern colloquial term used to show disrespect to the person or groups connected with the name, not to the Lord. Notice when I use the term I always use a lowercase “goddamn”. When talking about the Lord I would use an uppercase “God”.

When I use the term “goddamn Israelis bastards” it has absolutely nothing to do with the Lord and everything to do with the Israelis.

However, I would advise you to not make statements about what you think about consistency of my beliefs. I feel very comfortable using the term goddamn in a discussion and I also feel very comfortable with my love of the Lord.

For instance, I would never consider even using the word yankee without the prefix of goddamn yankee. They go together. I think the Lord understands, although you don’t.

Rockntractor
07-04-2009, 11:08 AM
The word "goddamn" is a Southern colloquial term used to show disrespect to the person or groups connected with the name, not to the Lord. Notice when I use the term I always use a lowercase “goddamn”. When talking about the Lord I would use an uppercase “God”.

When I use the term “goddamn Israelis bastards” it has absolutely nothing to do with the Lord and everything to do with the Israelis.

However, I would advise you to not make statements about what you think about consistency of my beliefs. I feel very comfortable using the term goddamn in a discussion and I also feel very comfortable with my love of the Lord.

For instance, I would never consider even using the word yankee without the prefix of goddamn yankee. They go together. I think the Lord understands, although you don’t.

I won't read your posts aloud to my wife. Nuff said.

MrsSmith
07-04-2009, 11:08 AM
You'd better hope so, we'll all be answering to Him for our transgressions...

linda22003
07-04-2009, 11:22 AM

Did not God also create Yankees?

Rockntractor
07-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Yes and we can be rehabilitated.

PoliCon
07-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Just a small point - "GOD" is not His name. It is a description of what he is. Kinda like RACIST BIGOT is not gator's name - but is a very apt description.

gator
07-04-2009, 12:05 PM

I think the Devil created them but I have no scientific proof to back it up other than their obvious stupidity and obnoxious behavior.

FlaGator
07-04-2009, 12:40 PM

I never made any statement concerning you and your beliefs specifically. I did use you as an example for the forgiveness of God. What is between you and God is between you and God. However, your response leads me to suspect that you may at some deep level question your own behavior. Christ said that we would recognize other Christians by their fruit. I would suggest that examine yourself an see what type fruit you produce and then compare it to what scripture says Christians exhibit. Personally I do this on a daily basis and I always find myself falling short and doing what I can to correct my behavior and begin it more in to alignment with what God expects.

Do you think that your actions put a good light or Christianity? Christ told us to be the light of the world in order to attract the lost to His saving grace. Are you attracting the lost by the example you put forward? You have no need to defend yourself to me because I am not accusing you of anything. I am suggesting you to examine yourself and to use Christ as the yardstick by which you measure yourself and not your Southern heriiage or the behavior of the world or even the behavior of other Christians. Ask yourself if you worship God as He reveals himself in the Bible.

stsinner
07-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Christ told us to be the light of the world in order to attack the lost to His saving grace. I am accusing you of anything.

Oops.. Slow down, FG.. :)

linda22003
07-04-2009, 12:57 PM
I think the Devil created them but I have no scientific proof to back it up other than their obvious stupidity and obnoxious behavior.

What about that whole "God is on our side" thing that gets claimed during wartime? He was apparently on the Yankee side in the Recent Unpleasantness.

PoliCon
07-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Gator is living proof that God likes Yankee's better.

gator
07-04-2009, 01:40 PM
I never made any statement concerning you and your beliefs specifically. I did use you as an example for the forgiveness of God. What is between you and God is between you and God. However, your response leads me to suspect that you may at some deep level question your own behavior. Christ said that we would recognize other Christians by their fruit. I would suggest that examine yourself an see what type fruit you produce and then compare it to what scripture says Christians exhibit. Personally I do this on a daily basis and I always find myself falling short and doing what I can to correct my behavior and begin it more in to alignment with what God expects.

Do you think that your actions put a good light or Christianity? Christ told us to be the light of the world in order to attack the lost to His saving grace. Are you attracting the lost by the example you put forward? You have no need to defend yourself to me because I am accusing you of anything. I am suggesting you to examine yourself and to use Christ as the yardstick by which you measure yourself and not your Southern heretiage or the behavior of the world or even the behavior of other Christians. Ask yourself if you worship God as He reveals himself in the Bible.

I feel very comfortable with my faith as evidently you are with yours.

My "fruits" will always be in question, as will yours. Good thing he sent his Son to relieve us of the burden of sin that comes with free will, huh?

God knows that because of my fee will I will never be like Him and he forgives me. He also knows I use the term "goddamn" when arguing my case for a particular point of view on an internet discussion forum. I have never known Him to get too upset about it because he knows in my heart I have no disrespect for Him.

Christians are allowed to have moral clarity. Christians are allowed to argue their case for moral clarity when confronting the unwashed. I do that with zeal sometimes and make no apologies about it.

Good thing there are several different Christians sects. Some believe that you must constantly be witnessing the word of God to prove your faith. I sometimes see them preaching on a street corner. Other times they stop by my house on a Saturday morning. In the church I attend we have a more personal view of Faith. It is not based so much on the deeds that others claim they must do in order to get into the Kingdom of God.

If you really think that the kingdom of God is based upon on deeds then I would really like for you to attend church with me sometime. We understand that God's love and forgiveness is not deeds based. Each of us that believes in God and accepts his Grace has to gettheir own comfort level. Thank you for sharing your level with me but I have a different view.

gator
07-04-2009, 01:43 PM
What about that whole "God is on our side" thing that gets claimed during wartime? He was apparently on the Yankee side in the Recent Unpleasantness.

Yea, that is a hard one to figure out.

There are other hard things to figure like why I am not rich but I just trust in Him and let the chips fall where they may.

SaintLouieWoman
07-04-2009, 01:57 PM
Yes and we can be rehabilitated.
Gator can attest to that. He married a Yankee. :D So did I, one of the best.

Of course it can be debated whether St Louis is Yankee or Southern. During the Civil War this area had folks on both side of the divide. But I digress, this isn't another Yankee thread.

Rockntractor
07-04-2009, 02:03 PM
let the chips fall where they may.
Speaking of chips have you tried these?

http://www.snydersofhanover.com/upload/fmproductsc/chip_kosher_96.jpg

PoliCon
07-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Speaking of chips have you tried these?

http://www.snydersofhanover.com/upload/fmproductsc/chip_kosher_96.jpg

you realize that them there are YANKEE chips right? :) Hanover PA BABY!! :cool:

FlaGator
07-04-2009, 02:23 PM
Oops.. Slow down, FG.. :)

Thank you for the correction. I was typing that from my church office and the browser I use there doesn't have the spell checking add on. I'll fix that tomorrow.

FlaGator
07-04-2009, 02:51 PM
I feel very comfortable with my faith as evidently you are with yours.

My "fruits" will always be in question, as will yours. Good thing he sent his Son to relieve us of the burden of sin that comes with free will, huh?

God knows that because of my fee will I will never be like Him and he forgives me. He also knows I use the term "goddamn" when arguing my case for a particular point of view on an internet discussion forum. I have never known Him to get too upset about it because he knows in my heart I have no disrespect for Him.

Christians are allowed to have moral clarity. Christians are allowed to argue their case for moral clarity when confronting the unwashed. I do that with zeal sometimes and make no apologies about it.

Good thing there are several different Christians sects. Some believe that you must constantly be witnessing the word of God to prove your faith. I sometimes see them preaching on a street corner. Other times they stop by my house on a Saturday morning. In the church I attend we have a more personal view of Faith. It is not based so much on the deeds that others claim they must do in order to get into the Kingdom of God.

If you really think that the kingdom of God is based upon on deeds then I would really like for you to attend church with me sometime. We understand that God's love and forgiveness is not deeds based. Each of us that believes in God and accepts his Grace has to gettheir own comfort level. Thank you for sharing your level with me but I have a different view.

Salvation is all based on faith. Deeds will not win salvation. However, it is pointed out that deeds are a fruit of the spirit and just as works with out faith is dead so is faith without works.

James 2:17-18

"In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. But someone will say, You have faith; I have deeds. Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do."

They go hand in hand, when you have been gifted with faith and grace you will respond to your salvation by becoming daily more the imitation of Christ and less the old person you were. Scripture validates this. Now I have two stores for you to consider as you think about God understanding your intentions. The first is the story of Aaron's sons (Leviticus 10:1-2).

Aaron's sons Nadab and Abihu took their censers, put fire in them and added incense; and they offered unauthorized fire before the LORD, contrary to his command. So fire came out from the presence of the LORD and consumed them, and they died before the LORD.

I believe that the Lord knew that their intentions were good but still they had defied God's command and they received God's judgment.

Then there is the story of Uzzah (2 Samuel 6:6-7).

When they came to the threshing floor of Nacon, Uzzah reached out and took hold of the ark of God, because the oxen stumbled. The LORD's anger burned against Uzzah because of his irreverent act; therefore God struck him down and he died there beside the ark of God.

Uzzah meant to do good. He was trying to stop the Ark from falling off the cart on to the ground. I know that God understood Uzzah's intent was to protect the Ark but he still broke God's command and touched the Ark. He still received God's judgment for breaking His commands.

I post these stories as something you might wish to think about. I try never to assume that God is giving me an exemption on my actions just because my intentions are good. I try to put His will ahead of my inclinations.

Peace,
Gary

FlaGator
07-04-2009, 02:52 PM
you realize that them there are YANKEE chips right? :) Hanover PA BABY!! :cool:

Synder's makes the best pretzels...

Rockntractor
07-04-2009, 02:55 PM
Synder's makes the best pretzels...

Especially their honey mustard.

MrsSmith
07-04-2009, 02:58 PM

Actually, we should be praying that we are on God's side when going into any type of battle...not the other way around.

CueSi
07-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Fuck people like you who give Atheists like me a bad name.

((hug for djones)) it's okay, it's okay. . .

~QC

gator
07-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Salvation is all based on faith. Deeds will not win salvation. However, it is pointed out that deeds are a fruit of the spirit and just as works with out faith is dead so is faith without works.

James 2:17-18

They go hand in hand, when you have been gifted with faith and grace you will respond to your salvation by becoming daily more the imitation of Christ and less the old person you were. Scripture validates this. Now I have two stores for you to consider as you think about God understanding your intentions. The first is the story of Aaron's sons (Leviticus 10:1-2).

I believe that the Lord knew that their intentions were good but still they had defied God's command and they received God's judgment.

Then there is the story of Uzzah (2 Samuel 6:6-7).

Uzzah meant to do good. He was trying to stop the Ark from falling off the cart on to the ground. I know that God understood Uzzah's intent was to protect the Ark but he still broke God's command and touched the Ark. He still received God's judgment for breaking His commands.

I post these stories as something you might wish to think about. I try never to assume that God is giving me an exemption on my actions just because my intentions are good. I try to put His will ahead of my inclinations.

Peace,
Gary

I very well understand that accepting the Grace of God does not entitled anyone to an exemption on sin. The Grace is not a “get out of jail free” card.

I do the best I can. One of the things that I don’t think I need to ask God’s forgiveness for is spreading a little moral clarity around the internet discussion forums and using the term “goddamn” when trying to emphasize a point.

You may feel differently and if you do then God bless you.

I, like most people, do enough of real sinful things in my life that I do need God’s forgiveness so I don’t worry about the silly stuff.

I am a loving and faithful husband and a good father. I give generously to charity. I try very hard not to lie, cheat or steal. I have tremendous faith in God and I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior. I feel comfortable that I am doing the best I can and I have the Peace of Lord. If I were to go tonight I would die knowing that the Lord has a place for me.

Could I completely devote my life to Christ? Yes, but that is not my calling. I don’t think that God expects us to spend all of our time consumed with religious matters. He gave us free will and expects us to enjoy life. He forgave us of our sins.

Sonnabend
07-04-2009, 05:40 PM
I am a loving and faithful husband and a good father. I give generously to charity. I try very hard not to lie, cheat or steal. I have tremendous faith in God and I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior. I feel comfortable that I am doing the best I can and I have the Peace of Lord. If I were to go tonight I would die knowing that the Lord has a place for me.

Matthew 18:21-22, we read, Then Peter came to him and asked, “Lord, how often should I forgive someone who sins against me? Seven times?” “No!” Jesus replied, “seventy times seven!” What does this mean?

Luke 17:3-4, Jesus says, “I am warning you! If another believer sins, rebuke him; then if he repents, forgive him. Even if he wrongs you seven times a day and each time turns again and asks forgiveness, forgive him .”

You need to work on that.

CorwinK
07-04-2009, 05:50 PM

Your very reference in line 3 counteracts line two. If this is all make believe kids play...why then would you turn around in the next line and curse something you don't believe in? If you believe what happened in the bible (lines 3 and 4) yet not God, why not say something to the effect of cursing the people who dismembered the bodies claiming to do so in the name of a supposed God?

Also...have you ever noticed that people, as an expletive, scream out 'Jesus Christ' or 'Oh my God' or 'Jesus!' or 'God Damnit' but never have you heard someone shout out (if someone has please tell me) 'oh for Bhudda's sake!' or 'Mohammed!!' or 'Oh my Allah' in the same context? These very utterances by the general population show a continual attack on Christianity...intentional or not...as described throughout the bible.

just a thought

Sonnabend
07-04-2009, 05:56 PM
By the way, Gator, you should also not bear false witness.

Something you have done more than once.

FlaGator
07-04-2009, 09:26 PM
I very well understand that accepting the Grace of God does not entitled anyone to an exemption on sin. The Grace is not a “get out of jail free” card.

I do the best I can. One of the things that I don’t think I need to ask God’s forgiveness for is spreading a little moral clarity around the internet discussion forums and using the term “goddamn” when trying to emphasize a point.

You may feel differently and if you do then God bless you.

I, like most people, do enough of real sinful things in my life that I do need God’s forgiveness so I don’t worry about the silly stuff.

Could I completely devote my life to Christ? Yes, but that is not my calling. I don’t think that God expects us to spend all of our time consumed with religious matters. He gave us free will and expects us to enjoy life. He forgave us of our sins.

Living in the peace of the Lord is the best we can hope for on this Earth. Please keep in my that I wasn't calling your faith in to question, I was asking you to examine how you live it out in light of scripture and the commands of our Lord. Remember, by virtue of your faith you are an ambassador for the Kingdom of God and how you represent the Kingdom is very important. I, like you, am a sinner who violates the will of God on a daily basis and still He forgives me and invites me to eat at His table. In return I give him my allegiance and a promise to do a little better tomorrow. :)

AlmostThere
07-04-2009, 09:52 PM

Are you enjoying yourself? It's obvious that you must be amused very easily. Immature, childish idiots usually are and you definitely fit that bill.

Molon Labe
07-04-2009, 10:07 PM
Your very reference in line 3 counteracts line two. If this is all make believe kids play...why then would you turn around in the next line and curse something you don't believe in? If you believe what happened in the bible (lines 3 and 4) yet not God, why not say something to the effect of cursing the people who dismembered the bodies claiming to do so in the name of a supposed God?

Also...have you ever noticed that people, as an expletive, scream out 'Jesus Christ' or 'Oh my God' or 'Jesus!' or 'God Damnit' but never have you heard someone shout out (if someone has please tell me) 'oh for Bhudda's sake!' or 'Mohammed!!' or 'Oh my Allah' in the same context? These very utterances by the general population show a continual attack on Christianity...intentional or not...as described throughout the bible.

just a thought

QFT
And in response to the OP...... Do you really believe in your heart that God wishes you to say G.D. and that is not what is meant by taking the name of the lord in vain?

I've found that when studying scripture, it's best to do so with the aid of a good exhaustive concordance. It clears up so much of what is interpretative nonsense.

In Hebrew the word Vain in that particular passage is "SHAV" meaning to use in a sense of desolation or ruin evil, guile, idolotry, or uselessness.

So not only is using G.D not appropriate according to that, a prayer of something such as "God let us win" might be taking his name in vain.

Based on that, it doesnt' sound like that passage can be used to suggest that calling on God in vain means to do so fruitlessly.

Rockntractor
07-04-2009, 10:18 PM
With all of the words the english language has to offer us why do we need to dissrespect God. There are to many other ways to express our thoughts. I can cuss a blue streak without using Gods name. But not in front of a lady of course.

FlaGator
07-04-2009, 11:17 PM
With all of the words the english language has to offer us why do we need to dissrespect God. There are to many other ways to express our thoughts. I can cuss a blue streak without using Gods name. But not in front of a lady of course.

To be honest, it is the only word or phrase I find offensive. Occasionally the f-word comes out (especially when I'm reading some stuff the libs post) usually in the form of "what the f**k is wrong with you", but I try to keep those responses to myself. I understand slipping up in the heat of the moment while talking with some one... it happens. But to purposely type something like that and not edit it out shows intent and I have to ask why someone would want the world to think that they have a foul mouth with so little control of their apparently limited vocabulary that they can't even take the time to use a more appropriate, less profane word?

Lanie
07-05-2009, 01:56 AM

You thoughts?

I've never heard of the second interpretation, but I'll give it some thought.

I heard a preacher explain it like this. We wouldn't say "Lanie damn you!" or "Jack Daniels!" It's GD and Jesus Christ. We say this stuff on a subconscious level because it sounds like it has more authority. "Lanie damn you" sounds stupid because I have no authority. Jack Daniels does not have authority, so that sounds dumb (unless you're pissed off at somebody getting drunk). That's why people say Jesus Christ instead. It's people inserting God's authority in a situation where he's probably not exercising it.

Now, if I said "God damn the demons" or something else I think he's condemning, it's probably not a sin.

Bubba Dawg
07-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Interesting topic.

To me, to take God's name in vain can also be to make use of God as a mere utilitarian device.

Vote for me because God want you to.

Buy my cheese because it is Godly cheese.

Many cry Lord Lord whose subsequent behavior reveals them to be manipulating hypocrites.

MrsSmith
07-05-2009, 02:21 PM
Interesting topic.

To me, to take God's name in vain can also be to make use of God as a mere utilitarian device.

Vote for me because God want you to.

Buy my cheese because it is Godly cheese.

Many cry Lord Lord whose subsequent behavior reveals them to be manipulating hypocrites.

Good thought! I hadn't considered that.

Phillygirl
07-05-2009, 03:22 PM

You and the Lord need to have a heart to heart. He did, after all, invent cheesesteaks. He is not currently pleased with your Yankee modifier.

Bubba Dawg
07-05-2009, 03:30 PM
You and the Lord need to have a heart to heart. He did, after all, invent cheesesteaks. He is not currently pleased with your Yankee modifier.

Cheesesteaks, the Philadelphia Phillies, these are indications of Divine Favor.

The Eagles.....not so much.....

Phillygirl
07-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Cheesesteaks, the Philadelphia Phillies, these are indications of Divine Favor.

The Eagles.....not so much.....

The Iggles are God's way of keeping some of the trash out of the suburbs on Sundays.

Bubba Dawg
07-05-2009, 03:46 PM
The Iggles are God's way of keeping some of the trash out of the suburbs on Sundays.

LOL.

There's some guy here who likes the Eagles....who can it be....hmmmmm....

gator
07-05-2009, 04:44 PM

A few years ago I went to Philly on a business trip and our host took us to one of the famous cheesesteaks places. I forget the name, maybe Pats or something. There was a another place across the street that was also famous.

The sandwich was OK but nothing to write home about. I have had many better sandwiches in my life.

If that is what you depending upon to not be damnned by the Lord then you are in serious trouble I thnk.

Zathras
07-05-2009, 08:14 PM

Japandroid.

Shannon
07-05-2009, 08:19 PM
I "curse" saying God Dammit and Jesus Christ all the time. I try not to do it here or around religious people IRL that would find it offensive. As far as it being a sin...at this point it's just what circle of hell I'm going to not if I'm going there.

MrsSmith
07-05-2009, 08:25 PM
I "curse" saying God Dammit and Jesus Christ all the time. I try not to do it here or around religious people IRL that would find it offensive. As far as it being a sin...at this point it's just what circle of hell I'm going to not if I'm going there.

The One that really doesn't like it can hear you every single time. :(

gator
07-05-2009, 08:28 PM

Just remember the story of the Thief on the Cross.

He was going to Hell but he accepted Christ as his Savior and he was given Salvation.

All is not lost. Christ forgives if you let Him into your heart.

Shannon
07-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Just remember the story of the Thief on the Cross.

He was going to Hell but he accepted Christ as his Savior and he was given Salvation.

All is not lost. Christ forgives if you let Him into your heart.

I usually only use the terms when referring to or talking to yankees. I'm sure I'm all set.

Lanie
07-05-2009, 09:17 PM
I usually only use the terms when referring to or talking to yankees. I'm sure I'm all set.

God accepts people who aren't perfect, or everybody would go to Hell. I could be wrong, but I don't think I see anybody on this board who I think is going to Hell. I'm not God though.

Lars1701a
07-05-2009, 09:21 PM
God accepts people who aren't perfect, or everybody would go to Hell. I could be wrong, but I don't think I see anybody on this board who I think is going to Hell. I'm not God though.

Gator is just jelious we (the north) kicked the south's ass in the civil war. I just dont understand them why would you brag about getting your ass kicked?

Shannon
07-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Gator is just jelious we (the north) kicked the south's ass in the civil war. I just dont understand them why would you brag about getting your ass kicked?

Lars, you didn't have anything to do with it. I suspect that if you did, the outcome would have been much different.

Lars1701a
07-05-2009, 09:24 PM
Lars, you didn't have anything to do with it. I suspect that if you did, the outcome would have been much different.

/yawn

All you are good for is buying shoes so please skamper off and STFU.

Shannon
07-05-2009, 09:28 PM
/yawn

All you are good for is buying shoes so please skamper off and STFU.

LOL! You really have no idea the amusement you bring to this board. I've always kept my distance because I thought you might be semi retarded and felt a bit sorry for you. You really don't want to engage in a battle of wits with me, Lars.

Lars1701a
07-05-2009, 09:29 PM
LOL! You really have no idea the amusement you bring to this board. I've always kept my distance because I thought you might be semi retarded and felt a bit sorry for you. You really don't want to engage in a battle of wits of me, Lars.

I dont do battle with unarmed women.

Shannon
07-05-2009, 09:31 PM
I dont do battle with unarmed women.

I'll keep that in mind.:rolleyes:

Lars1701a
07-05-2009, 09:32 PM
I'll keep that in mind.:rolleyes:

Whatever bitch.

Shannon
07-05-2009, 09:39 PM
Whatever bitch.

I really was wrong about you. You are super witty!

Lars1701a
07-05-2009, 09:43 PM
I really was wrong about you. You are super witty!

In one word I perfectly discribed you. Why do I have to type a foot long post?

FlaGator
07-05-2009, 09:43 PM

No one is beyond redemption... I am a living example of that. If God can find it within Himself to forgive me after the horrible things that I have done then he can forgive anyone who wants it and asks for it.

Shannon
07-05-2009, 09:48 PM

You are not capable of typing anything coherent. Please do not attempt a "foot long post".

AlmostThere
07-06-2009, 02:05 AM

That might warrant some special dispensation.

AlmostThere
07-06-2009, 02:11 AM

The outcome of that war could have been radically different very easily. The North didn't kick the South's ass until after the war, as in Reconstruction. The North was getting it's clock cleaned up until the time Lee lost Stonewall Jackson and even that was friendly fire.

Gingersnap
07-06-2009, 09:46 AM
There have been a lot of interesting responses to this thread. I try really hard not to indulge in this kind of thing. Partly, it's out of respect for the Lord. My emotional reactions when I drop a can of peas on my foot probably don't warrant divine intervention. Outside of that I try to avoid it because I think it's a lazy language habit on a day-to-day basis (if you are being kidnapped by terrorists, that's different).

Mr. Snaps claims that taking the Lord's name in vain during a wasp attack lessens pain but I tried it both ways and I think his claim is way exaggerated. ;)

Rebel Yell
07-06-2009, 09:52 AM

I'm a little late to the party, but......

What's your thought's on abortion?

Gingersnap
07-06-2009, 09:58 AM
I'm a little late to the party, but......

What's your thought's on abortion?

No! Start another thread for that, if you want to waste time with him. Let's stay on topic here.

PoliCon
07-06-2009, 11:21 PM
There have been a lot of interesting responses to this thread. I try really hard not to indulge in this kind of thing. Partly, it's out of respect for the Lord. My emotional reactions when I drop a can of peas on my foot probably don't warrant divine intervention. Outside of that I try to avoid it because I think it's a lazy language habit on a day-to-day basis (if you are being kidnapped by terrorists, that's different).

Mr. Snaps claims that taking the Lord's name in vain during a wasp attack lessens pain but I tried it both ways and I think his claim is way exaggerated. ;)

Is it in vain when you cry out - OH GOD during sex? ;)

Gingersnap
07-07-2009, 09:35 AM

I think that's more a heartfelt expression of thanksgiving. :D

Phillygirl
07-07-2009, 02:17 PM

Depends on who your partner is...then it may just be wishful thinking.

Rebel Yell
07-07-2009, 04:01 PM

Instead, he typed one the length of his little Yankee dick.:eek: