PDA

View Full Version : How'd you celebrate Independence Day?

stsinner
07-06-2009, 08:40 AM
We went to another small town about 45 minutes away and joined family for a nice celebration with a DJ and vendors and a nice, short fireworks show.. It was well-attended because of the budget shortages of most towns and the fact that people from more towns had to crowd into whatever venues they could find that were having fireworks celebrations!

Before that, we had a nice picnic in the yard and let the kids play in their two pools. They could do that all day! The weather was gorgeous and rain-free for the first time in over two weeks!

Of course, I looked forward to it all day because it was going to be my first opportunity to photograph fireworks, which can be tricky.

Take a look if you wish:

Pepperell, MA (http://winchenchronicles.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=winchendon&thread=670&page=1)

Gingersnap
07-06-2009, 09:29 AM
We were supposed to just have ourselves for the Fourth but one BIL turned up anyway. It was the cynical, cranky BIL too.

We worked in the yard, bought some fancy pants statuary, and then ate in the gazebo because of the torrential rains. :(

Zathras
07-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Went camping with close friends at Loon Lake, California. I'm tired, sunburned and very sore right now...and can't wait to do it again.

Space Gravy
07-06-2009, 09:56 AM
Went to my Brother's house, played some poker, watched a movie (Gran Torino) and grilled steaks.

A nice relaxing day.

stsinner
07-06-2009, 10:11 AM
Went to my Brother's house, played some poker, watched a movie (Gran Torino) and grilled steaks.

A nice relaxing day.

Awesome movie!! Sounds like a good time!

Lars1701a
07-06-2009, 10:45 AM
I went to three cook outs (never ate so much) and fired off 300 dollars worth of fireworks :)

Japandroid
07-06-2009, 12:58 PM
Worked.

stsinner
07-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Only people who are smarter than us adults here in MA are allowed to shoot off fireworks.. They must bring in people from New Hampshire. Must be nice to live where they allow you to act like an adult.

Rockntractor
07-06-2009, 01:06 PM
bought some fancy pants statuary, and then ate in the gazebo because of the torrential rains. :(
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/Atlantis_Obama_Statue_full.jpg?t=1246899908

Zathras
07-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Worked.

Yeah, I guess the Fry-o-Lator at McDonalds needed someone to run it.

Lars1701a
07-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Only people who are smarter than us adults here in MA are allowed to shoot off fireworks.. They must bring in people from New Hampshire. Must be nice to live where they allow you to act like an adult.

Its amazing what little freedom you have now a days. :(

Went to PA and bought them but here is the funny part PA residents we're not allowed into the store lol

You had to sigh a paper saying you were taking them out of the state.

NJCardFan
07-06-2009, 09:28 PM
I started it off by reading the Declaration of Independence then the wife and I went to my inlaws house for steaks on the grill. Then we came home and watched the fireworks which I can watch from the comfort of my own yard(well, middle of the street anyway). I also enjoyed a few Sam Adams Cherry Wheat's.

Japandroid
07-07-2009, 01:18 AM
Yeah, I guess the Fry-o-Lator at McDonalds needed someone to run it.

Wtf? Sorry I'm not a big fan of sitting around drunk and watching things explode in the sky for the 26th year in a row. I mean I saw the fireworks (I work on a boat in the summers, good times) and they were great and all that -- but I'd rather be getting paid.

Zathras
07-07-2009, 01:52 AM
Wtf? Sorry I'm not a big fan of sitting around drunk and watching things explode in the sky for the 26th year in a row. I mean I saw the fireworks (I work on a boat in the summers, good times) and they were great and all that -- but I'd rather be getting paid.

Yeah, I can see just why a dumbass like you would not celebrate Independence Day, being an Obumbler cultist. And when all you make is minimum wage I can understand why you'd want to work all the hours you can. Cheetoes are expensive.

Lars1701a
07-07-2009, 08:58 AM

See most here have good jobs so not only do they get off for the 4th they get "paid" as well.

noonwitch
07-07-2009, 09:20 AM
Watched as my neighbors lit off cool, but illegal, fireworks. I assume they get them in Ohio, but some are pretty good quality. I hope none of them blew off any fingers or anything.

Rockntractor
07-07-2009, 09:24 AM
Watched as my neighbors lit off cool, but illegal, fireworks. I assume they get them in Ohio, but some are pretty good quality. I hope none of them blew off any fingers or anything.
Check the ground where they were shooting them off for spare parts.

Japandroid
07-08-2009, 01:21 AM
See most here have good jobs so not only do they get off for the 4th they get "paid" as well.

Double time on holidays, would be stupid not to work. I got nothing else to do over the summers... cant do much teaching and I cant go work for my doctorate without paying for it somehow.

I dont work for minimum wage either, but to be honest I enjoy my boat job so much that I would be willing to do it for min wage.

Rockntractor
07-08-2009, 01:25 AM
Double time on holidays, would be stupid not to work. I got nothing else to do over the summers... cant do much teaching and I cant go work for my doctorate without paying for it somehow.

I dont work for minimum wage either, but to be honest I enjoy my boat job so much that I would be willing to do it for min wage.

What are you getting your doctorate in?

Zafod
07-08-2009, 01:29 AM
I had a great 4th! I got to work with a pro firwork company setting up the magnum cannons and then I got to be a shooter! Running down the line lighting 6 inch shells with a flare!!! I couldnt sleep for hours afterward I was so amped. Almost the same as a the rush from a 155!!! And being able to watch the fireworks from directly below was fucking badass!!!

Rockntractor
07-08-2009, 01:31 AM
I had a great 4th! I got to work with a pro firwork company setting up the magnum cannons and then I got to be a shooter! Running down the line lighting 6 inch shells with a flare!!! I couldnt sleep for hours afterward I was so amped. Almost the same as a the rush from a 155!!! And being able to watch the fireworks from directly below was fucking badass!!!

That sounds like entirely to much fun!

Zathras
07-08-2009, 02:22 AM

Bachelor's degree in Dumbassery...and no wonder the schools are in such trouble if they have idiots like Japandroid teaching in them.

Zafod
07-08-2009, 02:10 PM
That sounds like entirely to much fun!

it was. I dont get paid for it. Nobody gets paid their first time out. I told the owner that I dont care about being paid. Being able to watch fireworks from directly below was payment enough.....

Rockntractor
07-08-2009, 02:16 PM
it was. I dont get paid for it. Nobody gets paid their first time out. I told the owner that I dont care about being paid. Being able to watch fireworks from directly below was payment enough.....
When I was a kid I helped a neighbor clear 40 acres of big trees with dynomite. It was one of the best times of my life. You haven't lived until you have launched a big 1000# oak stump a 100 feet in the air with 10 sticks of dynomite!

Zafod
07-08-2009, 02:47 PM
When I was a kid I helped a neighbor clear 40 acres of big trees with dynomite. It was one of the best times of my life. You haven't lived until you have launched a big 1000# oak stump a 100 feet in the air with 10 sticks of dynomite!

sounds awesome

Japandroid
07-08-2009, 04:22 PM

Political science, focus mostly on IR (which entails quite a bit of economics).

I take a little bit of offense to being scolded for working. Since I was 15 I've held a job almost non-stop, everything from delivering pizza's to playing minor league baseball for about 1.5 years. I worked in an office setting and couldn't tolerate it because iit was so sterile. Hence the reason I work so many holidays...

To be honest I dont know if I'll ever do anything that is directly pertinent to my degree; ever since college I've been pretty dexterous in regards to employment. I just like school and enjoy the flexibility that being in school gives me to do whatever I want.

BadCat
07-08-2009, 04:31 PM

I take a little bit of offense to being scolded for working. Since I was 15 I've held a job almost non-stop, everything from delivering pizza's to playing minor league baseball for about 1.5 years. I worked in an office setting and couldn't tolerate it because iit was so sterile. Hence the reason I work so many holidays...

To be honest I dont know if I'll ever do anything that is directly pertinent to my degree; ever since college I've been pretty dexterous in regards to employment. I just like school and enjoy the flexibility that being in school gives me to do whatever I want.

Wow.

You are exactly the worthless piece of crap I thought you were.

lacarnut
07-08-2009, 05:15 PM

Damn, that sounds like fun.

In my Army days pulling KP, I would occasionaly wind up cleaning pots and pans on the outside in a 50 gallon drum. In order to heat the water they had a smokestack that would go down to the botton with a gasoline container at the top of the drum. Rather than let it go drip, drip, I would turn that sucker up full blast and light it. A loud boom with a flame shooting 10' in the air out of the top of the smokestack would make my day. The cooks would come running outside; don't know how I kept a straight face. The Army just was not my bag.

Rockntractor
07-08-2009, 08:11 PM

I'll give you that one then it is good to be a hard worker!

BadCat
07-08-2009, 08:49 PM
I'll give you that one then it is good to be a hard worker!

Hard worker?????

The idiot just admitted he is too immature to go out, obtain and maintain a steady job. He shirks real responsibility (as most liberals do) and enjoys his artificial perpetual student world, because the real world would chew up his worthless ass and shit it into the big lake by his mommy's house.

He's never paid a dime in taxes, he's a sponge on society - and he ALWAYS will be.

Rockntractor
07-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Hard worker?????

The idiot just admitted he is too immature to go out, obtain and maintain a steady job. He shirks real responsibility (as most liberals do) and enjoys his artificial perpetual student world, because the real world would chew up his worthless ass and shit it into the big lake by his mommy's house.

He's never paid a dime in taxes, he's a sponge on society - and he ALWAYS will be.

He said he was working in pizza places and on holidays . I don't know him I have to take his word for it. I still dissagree with most everything he posts. He is a young dumb ass kid. I hope he remembers what he has read here when his whole world starts falling apart later in life.

MrsSmith
07-08-2009, 10:36 PM
We had a great 4th...my brother came down with 2 of his daughters and his grandson. The grandson is almost 2, lots of fun!! We spent some time with my pregnant daughter, had a cook-out, shot off some fireworks, then went to the town's professional show.

The grandson spent the whole time with his eyes as big as saucers. He loved it! :D

Japandroid
07-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Hard worker?????

Let's run down a week in the life of Japandroid:

Sunday- Boats.
Monday- Boats/Classwork
Tuesday- Trend analysis for a small logistics firm (AM)/Boats (PM)
Wednesday- Boats/Classwork
Thursday- General stuff for that logistics firm, carrier prospecting and helping set up some operations in Mexico and Canada.
Friday- Boats (AM)/Private coaching for kids learning to play 2B (PM)
Saturday- Boats

I pay a lot of taxes, in fact I report the money I make for coaching.

I take absolutely no government assistance above the average, I took out Stafford loans as an undergrad and those are almost paid off. Student mentality, lol... you cant comprehend how hard graduate students work to live and further their education at the same time.

MrsSmith
07-08-2009, 10:51 PM

Sunday- Boats.
Monday- Boats/Classwork
Thursday- General stuff for that logistics firm, carrier prospecting and helping set up some operations in Mexico and Canada.
Saturday- Boats

I take absolutely no government assistance above the average, I took out Stafford loans as an undergrad and those are almost paid off. Student mentality, lol... you cant comprehend how hard graduate students work to live and further their education at the same time.
No, because NO ONE here has ever worked while going taking a full class load. Or worked 2 jobs. Or worked a job, carried a full class load and also carried the responsibility for home/kids/etc. :rolleyes: You're not impressing anyone, droid.

BadCat
07-08-2009, 10:55 PM

Sunday- Boats.
Monday- Boats/Classwork
Saturday- Boats

Yes I can, because I've done it...twice.

Shannon
07-08-2009, 11:03 PM
No, because NO ONE here has ever worked while going taking a full class load. Or worked 2 jobs. Or worked a job, carried a full class load and also carried the responsibility for home/kids/etc. :rolleyes: You're not impressing anyone, droid.

I was super impressed with his story! I only had two jobs, college and a kid. I feel so unworthy.:p

Japandroid
07-09-2009, 02:59 AM
Yes I can, because I've done it...twice.

? Where did you get your doctorate?

Japandroid
07-09-2009, 03:08 AM
Your logic is collapsing too, you say I am unproductive but then claim to have done pretty much what I am up to now. Twice.

Which is it?

Zafod
07-09-2009, 03:45 AM
why is this thread being hijacked by this fucking snobby prick?

Japandroid
07-09-2009, 04:59 AM
Pretty sure I was not the one who hijacked it.

BadCat
07-09-2009, 11:01 AM
? Where did you get your doctorate?

I have and M.S. in Geophysics and an M.S. in Computer Science.
Unlike you, I obtained those degrees, GOT OUT OF SCHOOL, WENT TO WORK AND PAID A SHITLOAD of taxes.

Oh, and Doctorates are for putzes. A PhD. and 5 bucks will buy you a cup of coffee, unless, like you, you want to live forever in the artificial liberal world of academia.

Zafod
07-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Pretty sure I was not the one who hijacked it.
so you are a snobby prick....

Japandroid
07-09-2009, 09:15 PM
I have and M.S. in Geophysics and an M.S. in Computer Science.
Unlike you, I obtained those degrees, GOT OUT OF SCHOOL, WENT TO WORK AND PAID A SHITLOAD of taxes.

Oh, and Doctorates are for putzes. A PhD. and 5 bucks will buy you a cup of coffee, unless, like you, you want to live forever in the artificial liberal world of academia.

I didnt ask what, I asked where.

And fuck you for telling me how to live my life, seriously. I work plenty and I dont need idiots like yourself with a dime-a-dozen CS degree telling me what to do with my life. Butt out.

MrsSmith
07-09-2009, 09:46 PM

And fuck you for telling me how to live my life, seriously. I work plenty and I dont need idiots like yourself with a dime-a-dozen CS degree telling me what to do with my life. Butt out.

If you don't need anyone telling you anything, why are you posting on this forum? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Japandroid
07-10-2009, 03:53 AM
If you don't need anyone telling you anything, why are you posting on this forum? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What does that even mean? I dont come here for life advice, I can tell you that much.

lacarnut
07-10-2009, 04:57 AM

For a punk ass kid, you ask a lot of questions. Junior.

You spend a lot of time on the Internet. You are either a queer or have zero social life (you don't date). What the fuck is wrong with you?

BadCat
07-10-2009, 10:18 AM

Tell your mom I said "Hi".