PDA

View Full Version : Sec Def McNamara has passed away.

djones520
07-06-2009, 08:47 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/07/06/report-defense-secretary-robert-mcnamara-dies/

Developing

Former Defense Secretary Robert McNamara has died.

McNamara, 93, died in his sleep Monday, according to The Washington Post.

McNamara worked for seven years as the defense secretary in the Kennedy and Johnson administrations, and is considered the architect of the concept of "mutual assured destruction," a key feature of the nuclear arms race during the Cold War.

He was also the head of the war department during the build-up of forces in Vietnam.

stsinner
07-06-2009, 08:49 AM
Wikipedia has already been updated:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_McNamara

megimoo
07-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Robert McNamara on USS Liberty
"Robert McNamara was up to his neck in the attack on Liberty ."

Excerpt from doctoral dissertation by Dr. John Borne:
Even at the top levels of the Johnson administration, where one might expect a consensus on the basic facts, we find opposing opinions on the fundamental question of whether the attack was accidental or deliberate. Lyndon Johnson in his memoirs called the attack "a tragic accident."

Robert McNamara, his Secretary of Defense, has stated "I didn't believe [the attack] was intended at the time, and I don't believe it now."
Dean Rusk, Johnson's Secretary of State (in the only instance where he disagreed with the President) has said "I was never satisfied with the Israeli explanation. Their sustained attack to disable and sink LIBERTY precluded an assault by accident or some trigger-happy local commander. I didn't believe it then, and I don't believe it to this day. The attack was outrageous."
2:09 PM
The carrier USS Saratoga acknowledges Liberty's call for help.
The Saratoga's phantoms could have been there before the Israeli torpedo boats.
2:23
Saratoga 12 Phantoms are air born
2:26
McNamara calls Adm Geis and orders the Phantoms recalled
3:15
Torpedo boats stop firing
3:45 PM
The Sixth Fleet launches planes from the USS Saratoga. & USS America
Planes were ordered to the rescue of the Liberty on two occasions.
In the second attempt the USS America also launched aircraft. Both time the Secretary of Defense MacNamara ordered the planes back.
There was a challenge from the fleet when ordered back the second time. President Johnson came on the line and confirmed the order saying ....."We will not embarrass an ally."
3:52
Planes return to carriers
4:32 PM
The torpedo boats return and offer "assistance." It is bluntly refused.
6:35 PM
An Israeli helicopter arrives and indicates that it wants to land. Commander McGonagle gave then the finger.

http://judicial-inc.biz/uss_liberty.htm

http://www.ussliberty.com/mcnamara.htm

djones520
07-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Are you trying to get Gator all riled up Megi? The Liberty and McNamara in one thread is sure to do it.

megimoo
07-06-2009, 11:10 AM
Are you trying to get Gator all riled up Megi? The Liberty and McNamara in one thread is sure to do it.Just stating a fact about Lyndon Johnson and McNamara recalling aircraft that could have stopped the attack and saved a bunch of N S.A guys form death !McNamara has American blood on his hands and sure was no angel .

lacarnut
07-06-2009, 11:22 AM
Just stating a fact about Lyndon Johnson and McNamara recalling aircraft that could have stopped the attack and saved a bunch of N S.A guys form death !McNamara has American blood on his hands and sure was no angel .

I have never heard him complain about the thousands of lives that McNamara cost in V.N. It's all about those filthy Jews with him.

I would not piss on McNamara grave but I would not put any flowers on it either.

djones520
07-06-2009, 11:28 AM
I can't seem to find a single link to these "orders" that come from an impartial source. Think you can find one?

As far as I can find, the only source of this information comes from Cmdr David Lewis, and it is far from reliable. Hell, the same written statement he made this in he talks about bombs and rockets penetrating multiple bulkheads of the ship. I think we can all agree that, that is total bullshit.

Japandroid
07-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Pretty smart guy, changed foriegn policy forever.

lacarnut
07-06-2009, 01:05 PM
Pretty smart guy, changed foriegn policy forever.

He was a liar and a fraud.

Zathras
07-06-2009, 09:11 PM

And that's why Japandroid loves him so much. Perfect name for our little liberal robot too.

SaintLouieWoman
07-06-2009, 11:04 PM
I agree with you and would also put no flowers on his grave.

vetwife
07-06-2009, 11:18 PM
Just stopped by to say I think the bag of crap died about 75 years too late.
He was a liar, a war profiteer and a sack of crap ! The world is better off without
McNamara. Your regrets are about 58,000 and God knows how many PTSD vets lives
and their families lives lost. You piece of lying crap.........Hope you get your just rewards.

On a lighter note. Hope everyone had a good 4th.

Even Lighter note..McNamara died !

noonwitch
07-07-2009, 08:29 AM
The federal building in Detroit is named after him. I assume he had ties to Michigan.

linda22003
07-07-2009, 08:43 AM
The federal building in Detroit is named after him. I assume he had ties to Michigan.

Only a little. Ever heard of the "Ford Motor Company"? However, he's not the McNamara for whom the building is named.

"Patrick V. McNamara Federal Building
The McNamara Federal Building in Detroit, Michigan is named after Patrick V. McNamara, a Democratic United States Senator from the state of Michigan. The tower was built in 1976 and contains 27 floors. It was designed in the brutalist architectural style, with concrete as its featured material. The high-rise building's primary is as a government building, but also contains some private business offices."

http://www.reference.com/browse/McNamara+Federal+Building

noonwitch
07-07-2009, 08:49 AM
Only a little. Ever heard of the "Ford Motor Company"? However, he's not the McNamara for whom the building is named.

"Patrick V. McNamara Federal Building
The McNamara Federal Building in Detroit, Michigan is named after Patrick V. McNamara, a Democratic United States Senator from the state of Michigan. The tower was built in 1976 and contains 27 floors. It was designed in the brutalist architectural style, with concrete as its featured material. The high-rise building's primary is as a government building, but also contains some private business offices."

http://www.reference.com/browse/McNamara+Federal+Building

That's funny, because I read in a paper at one point years ago that it was named for Robert. I don't remember which one and when, I just never really thought about it.

It's an ugly building, though. Compared to some of the art deco treasures nearby (the Penobscot Building and the Guardian Building, or even the Fisher Building a few miles away), it is really ugly.