PDA

View Full Version : Jackson Funeral to cost LA 4 MILLION dollars

Elspeth
07-07-2009, 11:54 AM
LOS ANGELES – Michael Jackson's body will be taken to the singer's star-studded memorial in downtown Los Angeles, adding to the spectacle that promises to be among the biggest celebrity sendoffs of all time.

"Mr. Jackson's remains will be going to the Staples Center. We're not giving any details," Los Angeles Police Chief William Bratton said Tuesday.

Police have blocked off roads and warned those without tickets to stay away because they would not be able to get near to the downtown venue. Some fans were allowed past street barriers into the immediate area around the Staples Center early Tuesday.

More than 1.6 million people registered for free tickets to Jackson's memorial. A total of 8,750 people were chosen to receive two tickets each.

Among the memorial participants will be Stevie Wonder, Mariah Carey, Usher, Lionel Richie, Kobe Bryant, Jennifer Hudson, John Mayer and Martin Luther King III.

About 50 theaters across the country, from Los Angeles to Topeka, Kan., to Washington, D.C., were planning to broadcast the memorial live, for free. Jackson died at age 50 on June 25.

"There are certain people in our popular culture that just capture people's imaginations. And in death, they become even larger," President Barack Obama told CBS while in Moscow. "Now, I have to admit that it's also fed by a 24/7 media that is insatiable."

All those involved say the heart of Los Angeles will become a circus. In one way, that characterization became literal early Tuesday.

Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey starts a run at Staples Center on Wednesday, a booking long planned in advance. In the pre-dawn hours before Jackson's memorial, the elephants walked from the train station to the arena, arriving some five hours before the memorial.

Early Tuesday, roads were closed and media massed at Forest Lawn Cemetery in Los Angeles. The night before, activity had been spotted there involving the Jackson family.

La Toya Jackson, wearing sunglasses and a wide-brimmed hat, was seen being driven away from the cemetery. KCAL-TV showed helicopter footage of a hearse backing up to the Hall of Liberty — a circular building at the cemetery that contains a 1,200-seat auditorium — to deliver a casket.

A few hours later, the casket was reloaded into the hearse and delivered to another nearby building, this time covered in a blue cloth.

Los Angeles was the epicenter of Jackson-mania, but the outpouring of emotion was worldwide. Belgium's two national public broadcasters were to broadcast the memorial live later Tuesday and several hundred Jackson fans gathered at a Hong Kong mall late Tuesday.

Holding white candles, Hong Kong singer William Chan and Taiwanese pop star Judy Chou led the audience in observing a 30-second silence. Many of the fans clutched red roses and wore black; some donned Jackson's trademark fedora hats....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090707/ap_on_en_mu/us_michael_jackson_460

The 4 million figure comes from KFI radio that is broadcasting the funeral. And take a look at the road and freeway ramp closures:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/07/lapd-urges-those-not-attending-the-jackson-memorial-to-stay-out-of-the-area.html

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/07/freeway-ramps-to-close-for-michael-jackson-events.html

The freeway closures go up into the Glendale, area, way above downtown. One reader comment:

134 at Forest Lawn and Riverside?!?? How is this going to help conjestion originating in downtown? The 134 runs through the valley from the 101 across Glendale and Eagle Rock into Pasadena. That makes about as much sense as randomly choosing ramps on the 405 or the 2 and closing them to "help the traffic flow as smoothly as possible". Way to go Los Angeles, you've successfully turned a tragedy into a charade, all while doing your best to cater to an over obsessed crowd of thousands at the expense of hundreds of millions.
And his freaking casket will be airlifted to the memorial.

All this for a freaking pedophile.

Elspeth
07-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Congressman Peter King blasts Michael Jackson as a "pervert" a "child molestor" and "a pedophile." According to King, "the media has disgraced itself."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6dngVeyZ7Y&feature=related

djones520
07-07-2009, 12:26 PM
Airlifted? I'm watching it being driven right now.

***I'm not watching willingly, I don't control the T.V. in my workcenter.***

noonwitch
07-07-2009, 01:10 PM
I ran into the CVS in front of the African-American Museum of History in Detroit at about 11:30-they were setting up for something. All the local news trucks were there, a t-shirt vendor was getting set up, and CVS was crowded with people stocking up on cold water and sunscreen.

I know I'm going to get home and my GH tape will have no GH on it, just Jackson funeral coverage.

Rebel Yell
07-07-2009, 01:21 PM
I ran into the CVS in front of the African-American Museum of History in Detroit at about 11:30-they were setting up for something. All the local news trucks were there, a t-shirt vendor was getting set up, and CVS was crowded with people stocking up on cold water and sunscreen.

I know I'm going to get home and my GH tape will have no GH on it, just Jackson funeral coverage.

If the MJ t shirts will take the place of the Obama t shirts, it'll be "change I can believe in".

Elspeth
07-07-2009, 01:34 PM

I guess it is "Let's Celebrate Pedophilia Day". I'm thinking NAMBLA should pick up the tab.

lacarnut
07-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Good for Congressman King for not being afraid to tell the truth about this scumbag people are glorifying. A bunch of sickos.

lacarnut
07-07-2009, 02:09 PM
And his freaking casket will be airlifted to the memorial:

All this for a freaking pedophile.

Would it not be funny if this chopper crashed and we had a Cremation. Woo Hoo. He is probably going to burn in hell anyway. :eek: Of course, I would want the pilot and any one on board to get out without injury.

noonwitch
07-07-2009, 02:28 PM
I guess it is "Let's Celebrate Pedophilia Day". I'm thinking NAMBLA should pick up the tab.

A lot of my coworkers are very sad about his death-especially women of either race who are currently in their 30s. They were little kids when Thriller came out and Michael became the King of Pop.

Black people don't necessarily believe all the allegations-considering the first kid to make them has said that it was all a lie for his family to get money out of MJ, I can see why they don't believe the allegations. MJ was weird, and that made for an easy target for greedy people. I just never understood why he ever put himself in the position of being accused again after the first time-I would think a lawyer or advisor would have taken him aside and said something about it. But I wouldn't have been able to vote guilty on the criminal case, had I been on the jury. I would have had doubts.

lacarnut
07-07-2009, 02:40 PM
. But I wouldn't have been able to vote guilty on the criminal case, had I been on the jury. I would have had doubts.

I have no doubts that he is a child molestor. Documented evidence that he fondled kids, sleept naked with kids and getting undressed with a hard on in front of kids would be enough to convict him for me. Note, I said nothing about rape. He paid million to a family also for his sick behavior. Anyone else without buckets of money would have been sent up the river.

noonwitch
07-07-2009, 02:44 PM
I have no doubts that he is a child molestor. Fondling kids, sleeping naked with kids and getting undressed with a hard on would be enough evidence to convict him for me. Note, I said nothing about rape. He paid million to a family also for his sick behavior.

And that kid is saying now that he was never molested by Jackson.

He's dead and soon will be buried. I hope his kids end up getting raised by good people, and that MJ's father is not involved in their upbringing at all.

lacarnut
07-07-2009, 02:54 PM
And that kid is saying now that he was never molested by Jackson.

He's dead and soon will be buried. I hope his kids end up getting raised by good people, and that MJ's father is not involved in their upbringing at all.

You did not believe the child was molested previously. But now that the kid, many years latter, decides to recant his story, you believe him. Nice. That is about as f. up analogy as I have ever heard of.

I hope his kids get raised properly but that will be doubtful because the same person that raised M.J. will be raising these kids. At least that is what I heard.

djones520
07-07-2009, 02:58 PM
I'm watching this thing, and I'm seeing black speaker after black speaker with a few token white people thrown in, and it makes me wonder...

Why was he such an inspiration to black people, when the man obviously couldn't stand being black?

Rebel Yell
07-07-2009, 03:07 PM
I'm watching this thing, and I'm seeing black speaker after black speaker with a few token white people thrown in, and it makes me wonder...

Why was he such an inspiration to black people, when the man obviously couldn't stand being black?

Young black kids in the early to mid 90's had no use for him. "He makes white music." I heard that all the time back then. It wasn't until he got in trouble this last time that he became "black enough" again. I always liked his music and performances, that will be missed.

Elspeth
07-07-2009, 03:34 PM

He couldn't stand being a grown man, either.:cool:

Elspeth
07-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Young black kids in the early to mid 90's had no use for him. "He makes white music." I heard that all the time back then. It wasn't until he got in trouble this last time that he became "black enough" again. I always liked his music and performances, that will be missed.

So getting in trouble with "the man" makes you black?

lacarnut
07-07-2009, 03:36 PM
and it makes me wonder...

My take is that once a black or white attains fortune, fame or politicial power, stupid fans that worship their hero's do not want that persona dimished under most circumstances. For example, Marion Barry gets out of jail and is elected on the City Council. Michael Vick will be welcomed with open arms when he gets out of jail. OJ is another piece of shit and many think he is innocent. The morals of this country is realy screwed up when so many people give tribute to a child molestor. Many of Jackson's family and associates are trying to figure out how they can get their greedy hands on some of that money. That will be another circus. A drug head like Elvis also comes to mind.

Rebel Yell
07-07-2009, 03:52 PM
So getting in trouble with "the man" makes you black?

To alot of 15 - 21 year old black males (and Jesse Jackson)? Yes. Sad, but true.

Elspeth
07-07-2009, 03:52 PM
To alot of 15 - 21 year old black males (and Jesse Jackson)? Yes. Sad, but true.

Oddly, that explains so much. But WHY?

Rebel Yell
07-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Oddly, that explains so much. But WHY?

Let me preface this with, "Where I'm from......" before the PC police come calling.

If a black kids works hard to go to college and make something of theirself, then they are trying to be white. They are a dork, etc. When they are getting arrestd for fighting, slinging dope, or breaking in cars, they are cool, just being held down by the whites who are jealous of their coolness.

Ever heard the word sellout? Heard about Michael Jackson, alot. Then he got in trouble, and viola. He's one of us again.:rolleyes:

Lanie
07-07-2009, 04:45 PM
I have something very important to say because I honestly believe that some people don't know about this.

Michael Jackson was a man, not a god.

There. I said it. I hope I don't get beaten too badly.

Lanie
07-07-2009, 04:51 PM

That reminds me of this parody I saw. It was asking whether he was black or white. At the end, he asked a cop if he was black or white. The cop said he was under arrest (for vandalism). He then concluded he was black. rotfl.

Rebel Yell
07-07-2009, 04:56 PM
That reminds me of this parody I saw. It was asking whether he was black or white. At the end, he asked a cop if he was black or white. The cop said he was under arrest (for vandalism). He then concluded he was black. rotfl.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4XTmqBJLSw

Teetop
07-07-2009, 05:00 PM
Jackson Funeral to cost LA 4 MILLION dollars

All I can say is; "GOOD"!

Another few gallons of water, in an already sinking ship of fools. California can find sympathy, between shit and syphilis in the dictionary.

Lanie
07-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Okay, I couldn't find anything on the 4 million dollars, so I went searching and found this.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/la-sees-4-million-tab-from-jackson-memorial?siteid=rss&rss=1

A crush of thousands of fans coming to the restricted-access vicinity of the Staples Center arrives at the time when the city is facing a budget deficit of more than $500 million.

Los Angeles sets aside funds each year to cover overtime costs for different departments in the event of emergencies, such as an earthquake, but the city will be "bleeding those funds" for the Jackson event, Zine said.

He and other city officials have called on entertainment group AEG to cover the costs. AEG owns the Staples Center and was the promoter for the concerts that Jackson was slated to perform in London starting later this month before his sudden death on June 25.

snip. What if fans or whoever can't cover all of the costs? This is putting a dead man before all the people who are still alive and who may need help later. Not to mention his family can afford a regular funeral. By contrast, the poor are often going to go without.

They're putting a dead guy before others and this is not right at all. I don't think the guy who spoke of healing the world, making the world a better place, and other things would approve of this. And this really is worship. It's worship because it's putting Michael Jackson before all that is important. I believe in honoring one's memory, but this is wrong.

Rebel Yell
07-07-2009, 05:03 PM
How much did Chicago spend on Obama's acceptance speech?

Lanie
07-07-2009, 05:07 PM

Thanks. I loved "In Living Color" when I was growing up until that last year when everybody turned white. Then, I didn't care to watch it anymore. Not that I don't like white comedians. That just ruined it for me for some strange reason.

Elspeth
07-07-2009, 05:17 PM

OMG!:eek::D

Lanie
07-07-2009, 05:18 PM
How much did Chicago spend on Obama's acceptance speech?

I'm not sure, but I'm against spending a crapload for a politician too. I heard in other countries, they don't put nearly as much money into their politicians, at least not their campaigns. I can't see a lot of money being spent on a speech.

My thing is I tend to think that funerals already cost a lot of money. It's at least ten thousand dollars. I don't even want my family spending that on me when I die. I can't imagine a city spending millions on one's funeral.

SPYDER
07-07-2009, 06:57 PM
I see the LAPD is asking for donations to help the city cover the cost of the city for the extra cost of the MJ help. I am sure all the great full fans will make nice donations to the LAPD.:eek:

Nubs
07-07-2009, 07:51 PM
The Jackson Family Presents: A Celebration of an American Pedophile.

lacarnut
07-07-2009, 08:04 PM
I see the LAPD is asking for donations to help the city cover the cost of the city for the extra cost of the MJ help. I am sure all the great full fans will make nice donations to the LAPD.:eek:

Between the Homos and the Hollywood types, that should be chump change.

Apocalypse
07-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Is the 24 hour MJ coverage over yet??

Seriously, I can't find one station here that isn't showing some thing about him.

Zathras
07-08-2009, 12:45 AM

Seriously, I can't find one station here that isn't showing some thing about him.

Hmmm, watching the Discovery Channel...no MJ here, just crab fishing in the Bering Sea.

noonwitch
07-08-2009, 10:50 AM

The media doesn't want to give this one up. The local news is not even a refuge from the story, especially in Detroit.

It should die down now that the memorial is over, but will kick in again in a few weeks when the final autopsy report is released.

Elspeth
07-08-2009, 01:06 PM
The media doesn't want to give this one up. The local news is not even a refuge from the story, especially in Detroit.

It should die down now that the memorial is over, but will kick in again in a few weeks when the final autopsy report is released.

Oh, God. Yes, the autopsy AND the will. Looks like the 24-hour noise cycle will have some fodder.:(

micmac
07-09-2009, 05:32 PM
I was pleased to see that Sheila Jackson Lee's moronic attempt to lionize MJ with Congress was turned down by Pelosi. As much as I detest Pelosi, even she knew this was BS.