PDA

View Full Version : Some Works Of Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu

megimoo
07-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Some Works Of Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu

http://gaslight.mtroyal.ca/lfanumen.htm
.................................................. ......
MR. JUSTICE HARBOTTLE by J.S. Le Fanu
from Through a glass darkly (1872, 1929 ed.)

PROLOGUE
ON this case Doctor Hesselius has inscribed nothing more than the words, "Harman's Report," and a simple reference to his own extraordinary Essay on "The Interior Sense, and the Conditions of the Opening thereof."

The reference is to Vol. I, Section 317, Note Za. The note to which reference is thus made, simply says: "There are two accounts of the remarkable case of the Honourable Mr. Justice Harbottle, one furnished to me by Mrs. Trimmer, of Tunbridge Wells (June, 1805); the other at a much later date, by Anthony Harman, Esq. I much prefer the former; in the first place, because it is minute and detailed, and written, it seems to me, with more caution and knowledge; and in the next, because the letters from Dr. Hedstone, which are embodied in it, furnish matter of the highest value to a right apprehension of the nature of the case. It was one of the best declared cases of an opening of the interior sense which I have met with. It was affected too by the phenomenon which occurs so frequently as to indicate a law of these eccentric conditions; that is to say, it exhibited what I may term the contagious character of this sort of intrusion of the spirit-world upon the proper domain of matter. So soon as the spirit-action has established itself in the case of one patient, its developed energy begins to radiate, more or less effectually, upon others. The interior vision of the child was opened; as was, also, that of its mother, Mrs. Pyneweck; and both the interior vision and hearing of the scullery-maid were opened on the same occasion. After-appearances are the result of the law explained in Vol. II, Sections 17 to 49. The common centre of association, simultaneously recalled, unites, or reunites, as the case may be, for a period measured, as we see, in Section 37. The maximum will extend to days, the minimum is little more than a second. We see the operation of this principle perfectly displayed, in certain cases of lunacy, of epilepsy, of catalepsy, and of mania, of a peculiar and painful character, though unattended by incapacity of business."

The memorandum of the case of Judge Harbottle, which was written by Mrs. Trimmer, of Tunbridge Wells, which Doctor Hesselius thought the better of the two, I have been unable to discover among his papers. I found in his escritoire a note to the effect that he had lent the Report of Judge Harbottle's case, written by Mrs. Trimmer, to Dr. F. Heyne. To that learned and able gentleman accordingly I wrote, and received from him, in his reply, which was full of alarms and regrets, on account of the uncertain safety of that "valuable MS.," a line written long since by Dr. Hesselius, which completely exonerated him, inasmuch as it acknowledged the safe return of the papers. The narrative of Mr. Harman is, therefore, the only one available for this collection. The late Dr. Hesselius, in another passage of the note that I have cited, says, "As to the facts (non-medical) of the case, the narrative of Mr. Harman exactly tallies with that furnished by Mrs. Trimmer." The strictly scientific view of the case would scarcely interest the popular reader; and, possibly, for the purposes of this selection, I should, even had I both papers to choose between, have referred that of Mr. Harman, which is given in full in the following pages.

CHAPTER I
THE JUDGE'S HOUSE
snip

http://gaslight.mtroyal.ca/justharb.htm

linda22003
07-07-2009, 03:24 PM
My favorite of his is Uncle Silas.

megimoo
07-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Tales of Horror and Fear .
Title: The Great God Pan,Author: Arthur Machen
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/389/389-h/389-h.htm
"Schalken the Painter"
"For he is not a man as I am that
we should come together; neither is
there any that might lay his hand
upon us both. Let him, therefore,
take his rod away from me, and let
not his fear terrify me."
http://www.online-literature.com/lefanu/1780/
THE FAMILIAR by J. Sheridan Le Fanu
PROLOGUE from In the glass darkly (1872, 1929 ed.)

OUT of about two hundred and thirty cases more or less nearly akin to that I have entitled "Green Tea," I select the following which I call "The Familiar."

To this MS., Doctor Hesselius has, after his wont, attached some sheets of letter-paper, on which are written, in his hand nearly as compact as print, his own remarks upon the case. He says:

"In point of conscience, no more unexceptionable narrator than the venerable Irish Clergyman who has given me this paper, on Mr. Barton's case, could have been chosen. The statement is, however, medically imperfect. The report of an intelligent physician, who had marked its progress, and attended the patient, from its earlier stages to its close, would have supplied what is wanting to enable me to pronounce with confidence. I should have been acquainted with Mr Barton's probable hereditary predispositions; I should have known, possibly by very early indicators, something of a remoter origin of the disease than can now be ascertained.

"In a rough way, we may reduce all similar cases to three distinct classes. They are founded on the primary distinction between the subjective and the objective. Of those whose senses are alleged to be subject to supernatural impressions some are simply visionaries, and propagate the illusions of which they complain from diseased brain or nerves. Others are, unquestionably, infested by, as we term them, spiritual agencies, exterior to themselves. Others, again, owe their sufferings to a mixed condition. The interior sense, it is true, is opened; but it has been and continues open by the action of disease. This form of disease may, in one sense, be compared to the loss of the scarf-skin, and a consequent exposure of surfaces for whose excessive sensitiveness nature has provided a muffling. The loss of this covering is attended by an habitual impassibility, by influences against which we were intended to be guarded. But in the case of the brain, and the nerves immediately connected with its functions and its sensuous impressions, the cerebral circulation undergoes periodically that vibratory disturbance which, I believe, I have satisfactorily examined and demonstrated in my MS. Essay, A. 17. This vibratory disturbance differs, as I there prove, essentially from the congestive disturbance, the phenomena of which are examined in A. 19. It is, when excessive, invariably accompanied by illusions.

"Had I seen Mr. Barton, and examined him upon the points in his case which need elucidation, I should have without difficulty referred those phenomena to their proper disease. My diagnosis is now, necessarily, conjectural."

Thus writes Doctor Hesselius; and adds a great deal which is of interest only to a scientific physician.

The Narrative of the Rev. Thomas Herbert, which furnishes all that is known of the case will be found in the chapters that follow

http://gaslight.mtroyal.ca/familiar.htm

megimoo
07-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Best Ghost Stories of J. S. LeFanu (Paperback)
by J. Sheridan LeFanu

"Do a search on these titles. Most are available free on line !"

Ghost Stories and Mysteries (Paperback)
by J. S. LeFanu
Short Stories from the Master of Eerie Tales,
Contents:
1) `The Room in the Dragon Volant' from "London Society", 1872
2) `Laura Silver Bell' from "Belgravia Annual", 1872
3) `Wicked Captain Walshawe, of Wauling' from "Dublin University Magazine", 1869
4) `Ghost Stories of Chapelizod' from "Dublin University Magazine", 1851
5) `The Child That Went with the Fairies' from "All the Year Round", 1870
6) `Stories of Lough Guir' from "All the Year Round", 1870
7) `The Vision of Tom Chuff' from "All the Year Round", 1870
8) `The Drunkard's Dream' from "Dublin University Magazine", 1838
9) `Dickon the Devil' from "London Society", 1872
10) `The Ghost and the Bone Setter' from "Dublin University Magazine", 1838
11) 'A Chapter in the History of a Tyrone Family' from "Dublin University Magazine", 1839
12) `The Murdered Cousin' in "Ghost Stories and Tales of Mystery" (1851) originally published as `Passage in the Secret History of an Irish Contess' from "Dublin University Magazine", 1838
13) `The Evil Guest' in "Ghost Stories and Tales of Mystery" (1851)
14) 'The Mysterious Lodger' from "Dublin University Magazine", 1850

noonwitch
07-07-2009, 04:04 PM
I read Camilla sometime back, which is a vampire story. Someone told me it was based on Coleridge's poem Christabel.

megimoo
07-07-2009, 04:57 PM
I read Camilla sometime back, which is a vampire story. Someone told me it was based on Coleridge's poem Christabel.http://www.readbookonline.net/readOnLine/3945/