PDA

View Full Version : My health care experience in Canada, no waiting, EXCELLENT service.

Carol
07-07-2009, 09:52 PM
link (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x8515738)

MoonRiver Donating Member (1000+ posts)
My health care experience in Canada, no waiting, EXCELLENT service.

Edited on Tue Jul-07-09 05:56 PM by MoonRiver
On a trip to Canada last week I got a bad bladder infection (if you've ever had one you know it shuts everything else
down until dealt with). Anyway, a pharmacist recommended I go to the local clinic. I was doubtful thinking it's like
those in the U.S. which are usually "free" clinics for indigents. Anyway, I went. It was right down the street from
the pharmacy. In fact these clinics are everywhere in Canada's big cities. If you have a problem you just walk in,
whether Canadian or foreigner. I went in expecting a loooong wait, as I was a walk-in American. Amazingly, or not, I
was immediately given paperwork to fill out and instructed to give a urine sample. After that I was talking with
the doctor in 8 minutes (yes, I timed it all just for DU, :D). The doctor was awesome! Immediately prescribed me an
antibiotic and pain med. I went back to the pharmacy, got my meds, and started my treatment shortly thereafter.

Happy to report I was feeling about 80% better and able to resume our sightseeing the next day. Now I am 100%
although still taking my antibiotic. No need for the pain killer anymore,
:woohoo: !

I report this to refute all the ridiculous reports about long lines in Canadian clinics, and the alleged
difficulty seeing a Canadian doctor. At least in my recent experience this perception is totally bogus.
Yep, she/he got the same care every other Canadian gets. (sarcasm)

After all she/he paid for it out of pocket-or maybe her US INSURANCE will pay for it.

3. We paid for it ourselves, but were told our insurance might reimburse us.

Clinic visit was $100, not bad even if we don't get reimbursed.

nichomachus (1000+ posts)
13. In the US, if you went to an ER, it would have cost you $1,500 minimum

23. And the copay could have easily added up to what we paid in Canada. eom
How logical. They compare costs from a clinic in Canada to an emergency room (not even a urgent care center) in the US.

It's a walk in clinic. Nich, try getting an appointment with a primary care physician in Canada. Good luck. (If you're really lucky you might win the get a primary care physician lottery and not have to go to the walk in clinics where they don't know your history and where you never get the same physician twice.)
PatSeg Donating Member (1000+ posts)
5. Ed Schulz is going to Alberta

Hopefully he'll come back with similar stories. I'm sure he will come back with lots of "stories" that are just as deceitful.
Thrill Donating Member (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Tue Jul-07-09 06:49 PM
Response to Original message
12. Tell that to CNN. Who ran a Government plan hit piece where

a woman claimed she had to go to the US because it would take several months to get her treatment doneThey're so infatuated with the "free" care that they can't be bothered to really do any research and find out what it really is like.

Lots of ignorance over there. And those that aren't won't be happy until everyone receives worse care than the poorest US citizen now receives.

expat-pattaya
07-07-2009, 10:38 PM
The thing is the problem with single payer health care isn't with instant low end easy medical treatments. Those are over priced in the US and something could be done about it.

But the government systems like in Canada inevitably wind up with lower quality and availability of serious medical treatment. Such as how long would it have taken a Canadian citizen to have knee surgery? Or would they get it at all if it is marginal in the doctors mind how necessary it is?

What about a hip replacement?

Hell, I can tell stories about better treatment than that in a nation with ZERO government health services - Thailand. Walk into a clinic, usually wait less than 5 minutes, see a doctor and get treated for any minor issues you have. Get the antibiotics on the spot and move on. Total charge about $20. Gee, maybe we should emulate Thailand :rolleyes:

NJCardFan
07-08-2009, 12:13 AM
I'm beginning to like these little bouncies.

Teetop
07-08-2009, 12:16 AM
link (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x8515738)

Yep, she/he got the same care every other Canadian gets. (sarcasm)

After all she/he paid for it out of pocket-or maybe her US INSURANCE will pay for it.

How logical. They compare costs from a clinic in Canada to an emergency room (not even a urgent care center) in the US.

It's a walk in clinic. Nich, try getting an appointment with a primary care physician in Canada. Good luck. (If you're really lucky you might win the get a primary care physician lottery and not have to go to the walk in clinics where they don't know your history and where you never get the same physician twice.)I'm sure he will come back with lots of "stories" that are just as deceitful. They're so infatuated with the "free" care that they can't be bothered to really do any research and find out what it really is like.

Lots of ignorance over there. And those that aren't won't be happy until everyone receives worse care than the poorest US citizen now receives.

But Carol! It's free! ;)

noonwitch
07-08-2009, 11:07 AM
My mom was treated in Canada in the 70s, when she broke her fingers at the ranch where we used to vacation. She received good care, a short wait, and the only expense was the X-rays, because she wasn't a canadian citizen.

This was a long time ago, in a very small town hospital, though. I'd guess it was circa 1972, in either Durham or Hanover, ONT. Socialized medicine was probably new in Canada at the time, and the ineffeciencies and deficits had not caught up with the small town hospital that still had the same doctors and staff that they had had all along.

Rebel Yell
07-08-2009, 11:35 AM
My wife has had bladder infections. The antibiotic DOES NOT knock it our overnight.

Ree
07-08-2009, 04:23 PM
My wife has had bladder infections. The antibiotic DOES NOT knock it our overnight.
No shit...my last one I felt like death warmed over for a week(even though I was on heavy duty antibiotics)

patriot45
07-08-2009, 06:16 PM
$100 bucks huh!?! Every one knows all you need is this -

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/cranberry-1.jpg

Vodka optional! :D

lacarnut
07-08-2009, 06:33 PM
I'm beginning to like these little bouncies.

Me too; it would have been better if it told us that the Dr. gave it a rebate of $5o for the privilege of treating an American.