PDA

View Full Version : Campaign to Legalize Pot Hits Airwaves

patriot45
07-08-2009, 01:42 PM
It was bound to happen. (http://www.news10.net/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=62760&catid=2)
This will pass in a heartbeat!

SACRAMENTO, CA -- Marijuana advocacy groups are using California's budget crisis as a springboard for a new campaign to legalize pot.
At midnight on July 8, the Marijuana Policy Project began running television ads across the state, pushing for the legalization and taxation of marijuana.

"Instead of being treated like criminals for using a substance safer than alcohol, we want to pay our fair share," says the middle-aged woman featured in the commercial, who is from Fair Oaks.
The group estimates the state could shave over $1 billion from its deficit if pot were made legal and taxed.

Elspeth
07-08-2009, 01:56 PM
It was bound to happen. (http://www.news10.net/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=62760&catid=2)
This will pass in a heartbeat!

You know, with the number of potheads in CA, it just might work.

lacarnut
07-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Although this a dumb idea, if passed, the state should buy all of the pot from those that grow it or import it setting a price per pound or whatever measurements. Then process it into indiviual packs like cigs. (say 20). Put at 2 dollar tax on each joint. Penalty for any someone selling it illegally would be a hefty fine and jail time. If you want to get shit faced, it gonna cost your more. See how that works for you friggin dopeheads and eco-nuts.

FeebMaster
07-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Taxation is the only argument I can think of against legalization.

The last thing a government needs is more money.

noonwitch
07-08-2009, 03:18 PM
It's de facto legal in Detroit. Michigan has a medical marijuana law now, but in Detroit, there are so few cops that people just sit on their porches and smoke it.

These days, they are not even bothering to cover up crack smoking in some parts of town. All the cops are usually downtown or covering their speed traps.

lacarnut
07-08-2009, 03:21 PM

I can agree with your last point. I can think of a bunch of reasons against legalization. More usage especially by the young. I was under the impression smoking was bad for you. Our politicians are now going to say that Pot is ok and cigs not ok; that's kinda screwed up. More potheads means more healthcare problems, more addicts and probably more crime. After legalization of pot, what's next? Legalization of coke and H will not be far behind.

ralph wiggum
07-08-2009, 03:32 PM
http://blog.thesmithlife.com/etc/DG_Medical_Marijuana.jpg

Lanie
07-08-2009, 03:56 PM
Why not allow it to be legal? Outside of it being bad for your repiratory system and possibly making one high, it's not harmful.

Lanie
07-08-2009, 03:57 PM

Better the government than drug dealers.

patriot45
07-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Haha! The government would be the drug dealers with more power than ordinary thugs!!

BadCat
07-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Go ahead and legalize it.

Need to do something to save the tobacco companies the Communists are trying so hard to kill.

Big tobacco is the only industry with the equipment and expertise to produce, package and distribute pot.

Give RJ Reynolds a break.

FeebMaster
07-08-2009, 04:13 PM

I disagree.

FeebMaster
07-08-2009, 04:17 PM
I can agree with your last point. I can think of a bunch of reasons against legalization. More usage especially by the young. I was under the impression smoking was bad for you.

Anyone who wants to smoke pot now does. Anyone. Prohibition doesn't even keep drugs out of the prisons.

Our politicians are now going to say that Pot is ok and cigs not ok; that's kinda screwed up.

You shouldn't listen to politicians. It will rot your brains.

More potheads means more healthcare problems, more addicts and probably more crime.

Most of the crime is a direct result of prohibition.

After legalization of pot, what's next? Legalization of coke and H will not be far behind.

Good.

lacarnut
07-08-2009, 04:36 PM
Go ahead and legalize it.

Need to do something to save the tobacco companies the Communists are trying so hard to kill.

Big tobacco is the only industry with the equipment and expertise to produce, package and distribute pot.

Give RJ Reynolds a break.

It's a win, win situation. Cig companies get the monkey's off their back and the state makes money. However, the cig companies need to put warning labels on the pot so that some dipshit and his/her shyster lawyer tries to sue. I can hear it now; after smoking a bag of weed every other day for 30 years, I have diabetes, had a stroke, irratable bowel syndrome and I just can not kick the habit and I am dying to boot at the age 45. Tough shit loser.:)

lacarnut
07-08-2009, 04:43 PM
Anyone who wants to smoke pot now does. Anyone. Prohibition doesn't even keep drugs out of the prisons.

You shouldn't listen to politicians. It will rot your brains.

Most of the crime is a direct result of prohibition.

Good.

Okay, Dopehead! Just glad I don't live in a state that is so screwed up that has to rely on taxing drugs.

Gingersnap
07-08-2009, 05:11 PM
Legalize it. While it would pain me to see any taxes on weed go to the government (clearly, they have too much money already), I guess I'd rather go along with a sin tax than have to throw real tax money away on the war on drugs.

Lars1701a
07-08-2009, 05:17 PM

so you want your cake and smoke it too??

Lars1701a
07-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Funny how the pot threads bring out all the dope smokers.

Gingersnap
07-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Funny how the pot threads bring out all the dope smokers.

Oh, please - I wouldn't walk across the street for 5 pounds of free dope and a complimentary foot massage.

There are plenty of reasons to support legalization that having nothing to do with personal vice. :rolleyes:

Lars1701a
07-08-2009, 05:41 PM
Oh, please - I wouldn't walk across the street for 5 pounds of free dope and complimentary foot massage.

There are plenty of reasons to support legalization that having nothing to do with personal vice. :rolleyes:

I am all for it, if and only if the user would shoulder all the expenses and consequences of said behavior. We live in a country that does not allow that ie: welfare, substance abuse counseling etc

Lars1701a
07-08-2009, 05:41 PM
Oh, please - I wouldn't walk across the street for 5 pounds of free dope and complimentary foot massage.

I would just for the free foot massage.

lacarnut
07-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Legalize it. While it would pain me to see any taxes on weed go to the government (clearly, they have too much money already), I guess I'd rather go along with a sin tax than have to throw real tax money away on the war on drugs.

Legalizing weed would not reduce the money the government spends on the war on drugs one iota. Also, with legalization comes a new GOVERNMENT agency along with all those NEW government employees to administer the program. You don't think the program is going to run itself? Like legalized gambling, it does not run itself without an infusion of local, city and state new hirings.

FeebMaster
07-08-2009, 05:54 PM
so you want your cake and smoke it too??

I've never smoked pot.

I just don't like the idea of the government having more cake.

lacarnut
07-08-2009, 05:57 PM
I've never smoked pot.

Yeah, and I bet you never inhaled either.

Lars1701a
07-08-2009, 05:58 PM
I've never smoked pot.

Fine but when someone does to much cake and cant function is it then ok to cut him/her loose? Not spend scads and scads of money?

Lars1701a
07-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Yeah, and I bet you never inhaled either.

I find his statement hard to believe :rolleyes:

FeebMaster
07-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Fine but when someone does to much cake and cant function is it then ok to cut him/her loose? Not spend scads and scads of money?

Of course. The government shouldn't be providing people money regardless of which drugs they do, or don't do.

Yeah, and I bet you never inhaled either.I find his statement hard to believe :rolleyes:

Frankly, I'm ashamed to admit that I've never smoked pot when the subject comes up. It's almost embarrassing in this day and age and no one believes you anyway.

Which brings us back to one of my earlier points: Anyone who wants to smoke pot does, regardless of the legality.

lacarnut
07-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Which brings us back to one of my earlier points: Anyone who wants to smoke pot does, regardless of the legality.

You know that how? Does your crystal tell you whether or not there will be an increase in teens smoking pot and going on to doing hard drugs?

Troll
07-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Cool, the marijuana subject again.

I wonder if anyone will post a good reason for marijuana being illegal this time?

AlmostThere
07-08-2009, 06:32 PM
There are times I'd love to sit in my home and smoke a joint. But it's illegal so I don't. It's really a shame I don't drink alcohol because I could sit in my home or a lot of other places and literally drink myself to death, all within the law. I could literally sit in my living room and drink till I died and it would be legal. But hey, we've got to protect the dumb bastard from himself who might smoke a joint.

I don't do the booze because the booze would just be for the buzz, while the joint would be to alleviate symptoms that pharmaceuticals I take don't help. But a joint is just SO dangerous I'd better just stick to mega-doses of pain-killers and muscle relaxers.

DRIPPING SARCASM

FeebMaster
07-08-2009, 06:46 PM
You know that how? Does your crystal tell you whether or not there will be an increase in teens smoking pot and going on to doing hard drugs?

That's just the way people work. Most people don't obey the law because it's the law. They obey the law because it punishes an action they weren't going to take anyway.

I doubt there would be an increase in teens smoking pot and/or doing harder drugs given how easy it is for them to get them now, but honestly, I don't care if there is.

FeebMaster
07-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Cool, the marijuana subject again.

I wonder if anyone will post a good reason for marijuana being illegal this time?

If you like government, it has been a great excuse (maybe even the best excuse) for expanding the government's power. All that crime surrounding the illegal drug trade practically guarantees that people are going to be clamoring for more money for law enforcement, harsher sentences for offenders, and more gun control.

But that's only a good reason if you like endlessly expanding government power.

Rockntractor
07-08-2009, 06:56 PM
If pot was legal less liberals would show up to vote on election day.

Space Gravy
07-08-2009, 07:02 PM
If pot was legal less liberals would show up to vote on election day.

I'm not sure legalizing it will increase the number of people that smoke. In school, at work, etc... I've known people that have smoked and people that have never tried it. I never heard anyone who never tried it, tried once or so and quit, or was a long term smoker that quit say the reason they don't smoke it is because it's illegal. I also don't know anyone hanging on the outcome of this hoping it passes so they can smoke it again or for the first time.

Rockntractor
07-08-2009, 07:20 PM
I'm not sure legalizing it will increase the number of people that smoke. In school, at work, etc... I've known people that have smoked and people that have never tried it. I never heard anyone who never tried it, tried once or so and quit, or was a long term smoker that quit say the reason they don't smoke it is because it's illegal. I also don't know anyone hanging on the outcome of this hoping it passes so they can smoke it again or for the first time.

I quit in 92 when I stopped drinking booze and smoking cigarettes. I was tired of all of it. I wasn't in trouble with the law at the time just tired and depressed. I personally think it should all be legalized with a few common sense restrictions. It is a no win in debates because this opinion automatically makes you a user and a liberal in the eyes of others. I don't really give a rat’s ass. I have no use for any of it anymore you guys can knock yourselves out arguing about it. And for all of you sitting there all smugg and righteous with your beer or drink it is about 10 times as powerful as weed and that is what finnally bit me in the ass the worst.
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/rat-8641.gif?t=1247094984

Bubba Dawg
07-08-2009, 08:21 PM
All pot ever did for me was make me hungry, paranoid and sleepy.

I don't need to pay $50.00 a bag for that. Haven't smoked it in over 20 years.

I say legalize it.

patriot45
07-08-2009, 08:31 PM
All pot ever did for me was make me hungry, paranoid and sleepy.

I don't need to pay $50.00 a bag for that. Haven't smoked it in over 20 years.

I say legalize it.

$50.00 a bag!!? Thats cheaper than a carton of cigs!

Bubba Dawg
07-08-2009, 08:44 PM
$50.00 a bag!!? Thats cheaper than a carton of cigs!

LOL. Actually, the way cigs cost, that may be true. I have no idea what it costs now but I was guessing at fifty.

I'll stick with cigars. And scotch.

Rockntractor
07-08-2009, 08:49 PM
LOL. Actually, the way cigs cost, that may be true. I have no idea what it costs now but I was guessing at fifty.

and chocolate and ice cream

Troll
07-08-2009, 09:07 PM
...that's only a good reason if you like endlessly expanding government power.

You know what I mean. :p

I'm not sure legalizing it will increase the number of people that smoke.

I would guess so, but probably only marginally. I haven't seen any statistics that suggest that marijuana's illegality is an actual deterrent for people that want it. Plus, even if they legalized it tomorrow, lots of people who have done it and quit still have other obligations like jobs to think about.

It is a no win in debates because this opinion automatically makes you a user and a liberal in the eyes of others.

I've found that conditioned/knee-jerk responses like this are a great escape hatch for people who have no other way around the facts.

Haven't smoked it in over 20 years.

How long did you do it before you quit? I had a good three-year run in college, then quit a month before I graduated and haven't done it again since.

Speedy
07-08-2009, 09:15 PM
The only reason I have for marijuana to remain illegal is because the government would use it as a source of revenue. The last thing the government needs is another source of revenue. I wish that the government would look for places to cut spending the way it does so enthusiastically for new sources of revenue.

The last thing the government needs is more money. That is like giving a heroin addict more dope.

FeebMaster
07-08-2009, 09:38 PM
You know what I mean. :p

lol yeah, but someone had to answer the question.

Gingersnap
07-08-2009, 09:40 PM
To the folks who believe that legalizing weed would make addicts out of school children: look at the facts. Any school child can easily get weed at any time. It easier than getting a beer. While we all remember a certain group of stoners from high school, the vast majority of that group gives it up upon entry to Real Life or confines their use to weekends. Being a stoner just isn't compatible with the kind of work that pays for new cars or private preschool.

I have no use for people who drug themselves into a haze. Nor do I have much use for people who drink themselves into a similar state. Sadly, both types will always be with us, legally or not. Prohibition just makes money for the criminals and piles up the bills for the criminal justice system.

Let the stoners figure it out for themselves. Most of them really will and those who won't wouldn't be deterred by the law.

noonwitch
07-09-2009, 09:49 AM

According to the teens I work with, the "good stuff" is going for about $150 an ounce.