PDA

View Full Version : Wow, was i mad..(family story)..

stsinner
07-09-2009, 01:21 AM
I always seem to assume I'm more friends with my Internet community than I really am, and I'm about to do that again-thinking you give a crap about what happens to my little baby daughter.....

And, of course you don't, but since I consider you friends, I'll tell you anyway...

Here in the Communist state of Massachusetts, we have to have our children tested for lead poisoning as part of their normal vaccination regimen..

Well, I was instructed to take my 2 y/o baby girl in any time to the lab at her doctor's office to have a vein draw done because the finger prick yielded high lead levels.. Well, I take here there, and there is only one girl working.. . This girl was very young and obviously very into herself and looking good. She had the french manicure and the streaked hair and was no stranger to the beauty salon.. Well, she tied the rubber around my baby's arm and had my son hold her arm straight so that she didn't pull away... She stuck the needle in the arm and no blood.. she backed the needle off a bit, still under the skin, and went for the vein a second time... Nothing.. She finally gave up after about 4 jabs in my baby's arm... She sent us to the main lab of the hospital..

At the main lab I explained to them that I was not happy about what had just happened.. I made it very clear that if they were gong to puncture a vein it had better be a good puncture and not a fishing expedition, as the last one was.. They did much better and gave my baby girl an actual TY Beanie Baby for her tears and a lollipop...

Man, I can't take this crap!! She breaks my heart when she cries...

I was on the US Army Boxing Team for 4 years, but hurt my girls and you make the tears flow like rain...

Rockntractor
07-09-2009, 01:29 AM
Did the second test still show her lead level to high?

stsinner
07-09-2009, 01:33 AM
Did the second test still show her lead level to high?

I don't know that just yet.. We just had the test done today.. We just had it drawn today, but I'm sure it will. We live in a 150 year old house, so there's lots of lead.. We went through the same thing with our oldest daughter..

I was just pissed at the continued poking of my innocent little baby who doesn't understand why Daddy is allowing them to hurt her while she sits on his lap... I'd die for this little baby!!

Rockntractor
07-09-2009, 01:41 AM
I don't know that just yet.. We just had the test done today.. We just had it drawn today, but I'm sure it will. We live in a 150 year old house, so there's lots of lead.. We went through the same thing with our oldest daughter..

I was just pissed at the continued poking of my innocent little baby who doesn't understand why Daddy is allowing them to hurt her while she sits on his lap... I'd die for this little baby!!

Does the house have lead water pipes?

PoliCon
07-09-2009, 01:42 AM
that is horrible. Went through a simlar thing with my nephew. They had to put an IV in him. He was 2. She was nurse Kratchet. I went to the desk and told them if they sent that bitch back - I'd be filing a complaint.

PoliCon
07-09-2009, 01:43 AM
Does the house have lead water pipes?

good call. :)

Rockntractor
07-09-2009, 01:48 AM
good call. :)

Iv'e melted down a lot of lead plumbing to make bullets. If your water is acidic at all it will leach the lead out of the pipes.

MrsSmith
07-09-2009, 06:32 AM
I know how you feel...before I had kids, I'd helped with surgeries on my favorite dogs, hauled my brothers and my dad to ER for stitches, removed horns from calves, etc. None of it bothered me. Then I took my first child in for a blood test, and the tech stuck his foot...I literally saw red. I had to hand my baby to his father and leave the room before I killed the tech. :mad: :mad:

satanica
07-09-2009, 09:25 AM
I always seem to assume I'm more friends with my Internet community than I really am, and I'm about to do that again-thinking you give a crap about what happens to my little baby daughter.....

And, of course you don't, but since I consider you friends, I'll tell you anyway...

Here in the Communist state of Massachusetts, we have to have our children tested for lead poisoning as part of their normal vaccination regimen..

Well, I was instructed to take my 2 y/o baby girl in any time to the lab at her doctor's office to have a vein draw done because the finger prick yielded high lead levels.. Well, I take here there, and there is only one girl working.. . This girl was very young and obviously very into herself and looking good. She had the french manicure and the streaked hair and was no stranger to the beauty salon.. Well, she tied the rubber around my baby's arm and had my son hold her arm straight so that she didn't pull away... She stuck the needle in the arm and no blood.. she backed the needle off a bit, still under the skin, and went for the vein a second time... Nothing.. She finally gave up after about 4 jabs in my baby's arm... She sent us to the main lab of the hospital..

At the main lab I explained to them that I was not happy about what had just happened.. I made it very clear that if they were gong to puncture a vein it had better be a good puncture and not a fishing expedition, as the last one was.. They did much better and gave my baby girl an actual TY Beanie Baby for her tears and a lollipop...

Man, I can't take this crap!! She breaks my heart when she cries...

I was on the US Army Boxing Team for 4 years, but hurt my girls and you make the tears flow like rain...

The nurse missed the vien a few times. Totally normal. No reason to be mad, sometimes it's hard to hit a vein.

Shannon
07-09-2009, 09:29 AM
Well, I take here there, and there is only one girl working.. . This girl was very young and obviously very into herself and looking good. She had the french manicure and the streaked hair and was no stranger to the beauty salon..

What is wrong with a french manicure and streaked hair?:mad:

Yeah, it sucks to see your kid go through that but it happens. not that big of a deal in the whole scheme of things.

Gingersnap
07-09-2009, 09:31 AM
The nurse missed the vien a few times. Totally normal. No reason to be mad, sometimes it's hard to hit a vein.

To be fair, it can be a nightmare getting a good vein stick on a little kid. The anatomy is just harder to locate. It's extremely hard to watch, though. All needle sticks hurt but they hurt little kids a lot more than they hurt adults. :(

satanica
07-09-2009, 09:36 AM
To be fair, it can be a nightmare getting a good vein stick on a little kid. The anatomy is just harder to locate. It's extremely hard to watch, though. All needle sticks hurt but they hurt little kids a lot more than they hurt adults. :(

I understand 100% ...But the OP thinks it's cause she lives in a "communist" state.

Please inform her of how wrong she is, and if she wants to move out of a "communist" state she needs to get a job and move out of moms basement.

Rebel Yell
07-09-2009, 09:37 AM
I understand 100% ...But the OP thinks it's cause she lives in a "communist" state.

Please inform her of how wrong she is, and if she wants to move out of a "communist" state she needs to get a job and move out of moms basement.

What state do you live in?

Shannon
07-09-2009, 09:39 AM
What state do you live in?

*snort*:p

Gingersnap
07-09-2009, 09:40 AM

Do I look like your personal errand boy? Tell him yourself.

:p

satanica
07-09-2009, 09:40 AM
*snort*:p

Laughed at by someone afraid to tell where they live.

Probably another blue stater embarrassed to say they live in a blue state.

noonwitch
07-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Lead poinsoning-I actually know a lot about it, at least about the numerous sources of it in my community.

Paint is not the only possible source, nor is plumbing. Some plastic blinds contain lead. In parts of Detroit, there is lead in the soil because of the numerous industrial sites around town. The one I know best is on the east side, and there was a lead smelt in the area until about 20 years ago. I advise people who live in the area to always make sure their kids wear flip-flops or sandals when they run around the yard, or especially, run through the sprinkler.

I just went looking for the lead paint brochures that I hand out to people, but I'm all out. Your state or county health department usually has that information. As you pointed out that you are both a veteren and a resident of the communist state of MA, there might be a low-cost program available to assist you in getting the lead out of your house, or a low-interest, home improvement loan available through the local government. There are a lot of programs out there to assist.

They'll put your baby on a special diet, to get rid of the lead. Sometimes they prescribe medication, but usually the diet works unless the source of the lead poisoning is not located and the risk removed.

Also, as a children's services worker, I should warn you. Hospitals love to call CPS about this, if the kid's lead level doesn't respond to treatment. I don't know how CPS works in your state. In my state, they don't take kids away for this. Hospital social workers may want them to, but the CPS workers would rather find a solution that doesn't involve breaking a family up, but results in the removal of the threat to the child's health.

I don't want to make you paranoid, though. Most kids respond to the diet, pretty quickly.

Shannon
07-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Laughed at by someone afraid to tell where they live.

Probably another blue stater embarrassed to say they live in a blue state.

Everybody on this board who pays attention knows where I live.:rolleyes:

You are a ridiculous little man.

Sonnabend
07-09-2009, 09:44 AM
What state do you live in?New South Wales :D

What do I win? :p

Ree
07-09-2009, 10:13 AM
New South Wales :D

What do I win? :p
A roo....:p

stsinner
07-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Lead poinsoning-I actually know a lot about it, at least about the numerous sources of it in my community.

Paint is not the only possible source, nor is plumbing. Some plastic blinds contain lead. In parts of Detroit, there is lead in the soil because of the numerous industrial sites around town. The one I know best is on the east side, and there was a lead smelt in the area until about 20 years ago. I advise people who live in the area to always make sure their kids wear flip-flops or sandals when they run around the yard, or especially, run through the sprinkler.

I just went looking for the lead paint brochures that I hand out to people, but I'm all out. Your state or county health department usually has that information. As you pointed out that you are both a veteren and a resident of the communist state of MA, there might be a low-cost program available to assist you in getting the lead out of your house, or a low-interest, home improvement loan available through the local government. There are a lot of programs out there to assist.

They'll put your baby on a special diet, to get rid of the lead. Sometimes they prescribe medication, but usually the diet works unless the source of the lead poisoning is not located and the risk removed.

Also, as a children's services worker, I should warn you. Hospitals love to call CPS about this, if the kid's lead level doesn't respond to treatment. I don't know how CPS works in your state. In my state, they don't take kids away for this. Hospital social workers may want them to, but the CPS workers would rather find a solution that doesn't involve breaking a family up, but results in the removal of the threat to the child's health.

I don't want to make you paranoid, though. Most kids respond to the diet, pretty quickly.

I'm all for doing whatever it takes to get her lead level down-I just love getting in a dig at this horrible laughing stock of a state whenever I can.. Thanks for the info.. They sent us a brochure as protocol, and they informed us about the various programs.. We'll see how the blood work looks when it comes back, but I'm sure it's high-it was 28 on the finger prick, and they want it below 10.. There's no way the vein draw will be that much better.

Sonnabend
07-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Why the hell didnt they use butterfly needles?

I've seen blood extraction packs for littlies with fine gauge needles..a damned sight easier to use. Kids veins just are too small for a standard bore...damn, that would have hurt

Poor tyke.

stsinner
07-09-2009, 11:44 AM
Why the hell didnt they use butterfly needles?

I've seen blood extraction packs for littlies with fine gauge needles..a damned sight easier to use. Kids veins just are too small for a standard bore...damn, that would have hurt

Poor tyke.

She's only two, and she doesn't talk yet, but it was the saddest thing when I was holding her on my lap and they poke the needle in-she took her other hand and pointed at it and said, "noooooooo." So i had to grab her other hand before she grabbed the needle. It's hard to hold your baby while they hurt her, but you know it's for the best-but she doesn't understand. That's what makes it hard-you want her to associate you with protecting her, but at that moment you're facilitating her being hurt..

linda22003
07-09-2009, 12:23 PM
A friend of mine was sure she was going into pediatrics until she did a rotation in a hospital where she had to give repeat injections to a very sick little girl. When the little girl saw her coming she would cry and beg not to have the shot, bargaining with her, "I'll be good!" My friend would cry her eyes out every time she left the room and knew she couldn't face that for a whole career.

Speedy
07-09-2009, 03:47 PM
I was on the US Army Boxing Team for 4 years...

What weightclass? I got to semis once and the finals once of the Texas Golden Gloves. I had Donald Curry, who went on to be the WBC Welterweight Champ down twice in the first round before losing a decision to him.

AlmostThere
07-09-2009, 04:52 PM
When my daughter was an infant (now 18yr), she had some medical problems. One 9 day stint in a hospital required an IV the whole time. They put the IV it in her head and had one of those collars on her that you put on a dog to keep them from licking a wound. That was really tough to see. I can appreciate the anger you feel.

stsinner
07-09-2009, 04:58 PM
What weightclass? I got to semis once and the finals once of the Texas Golden Gloves. I had Donald Curry, who went on to be the WBC Welterweight Champ down twice in the first round before losing a decision to him.

What got me into it was a guy who giave me a job as a valet parker when I was 17-he was an ex-Golden gloves boxer, and he used to train me on the weekends.. I never thought anything of it until I had the chance to box in the Army..

180 lbs-light heavyweight