PDA

View Full Version : Episcopal Bishop calls individual salvation 'heresy,' 'idolatry'

megimoo
07-09-2009, 11:04 AM
ANAHEIM, CA - Episcopal Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori says it's "heresy" to believe that an individual can be saved through a sinner's prayer of repentance.

In her opening address to the church's General Conference in California, Jefferts Schori called that "the great Western heresy: that we can be saved as individuals, that any of us alone can be in right relationship with God."

The presiding bishop said that view is "caricatured in some quarters by insisting that salvation depends on reciting a specific verbal formula about Jesus."

According to Schori, it is heresy to believe that an individual's prayer can achieve a saving relationship with God. "That individualist focus is a form of idolatry, for it puts me and my words in the place that only God can occupy."

http://www.onenewsnow.com/Business/Default.aspx?id=597368

Gingersnap
07-09-2009, 11:11 AM
So the Baptists are heretics but the homosexuals are saints? Schori is just full of interesting ideas. :confused:

While it's true that no formula guarantees salvation, Schori is probably better off thinking about her own damaged flock rather than evaluating the Baptist-style take on redemption that is popular in many churches today.

megimoo
07-09-2009, 12:14 PM
So the Baptists are heretics but the homosexuals are saints? Schori is just full of interesting ideas. :confused:

While it's true that no formula guarantees salvation, Schori is probably better off thinking about her own damaged flock rather than evaluating the Baptist-style take on redemption that is popular in many churches today.I am surprised that she isn't a practicing lesbian ?

FlaGator
07-09-2009, 02:09 PM
The queen of heresy and idoltry speaks...

She's the type of person who, if she met Jesus, would tell him out off base he got His message. She would probably tell Him that He's putting Himself in a small box.

noonwitch
07-09-2009, 02:56 PM
I got upset once with my mom's UCC minister for calling personal salvation an idol. He explained that he didn't mean that the concept/reality of a personal relationship with God was idolatry, it was idolatry if someone thinks that salvation is for him alone and not for everyone else. It was idolatry if it was a narcissistic thing-like Pat Robertson's conversations with God, in which God tells him what investments will pay off the best for His followers over the next 6 months or so.

I'm not sure that's what this person is saying, though.