PDA

View Full Version : Please help me figure something out...

KCornett
07-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Why is it that liberals do their level best to demonize those that are wealthy? Why do they care what a billionaire spends his/her money on? I have been reading over at DU and their solution is to take away from those that have worked their asses off to get where they are to give to the lazy.

It kills me. They believe in Evolution in nature, but they are unwilling to accept it in humanity?

I understand that there are *some* whom cannot support or provide for themselves; but they are the exception rather than the rule.

So, please, help me with my critical thinking skills and enlighten me on this school of thought.

KC

*edit for some grammer*

Gingersnap
07-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Because liberals believe that inequity causes poverty, ignorance, violence, and so on. They believe that if everybody had access to the same resources, there would be little or no discord.

In the real world, everybody knows that if you magically leveled the playing field on Monday and gave every human being $100, by Friday 5% of the population would control the wealth of the of the other 95%.

linda22003
07-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Why is it that liberals do their level best to demonize those that are wealthy? Why do they care what a billionaire spends his/her money on?

If only it were just liberals. I was browsing Free Republic, and they have a LONG thread going on whether or not Michelle Obama paid $6000 or $875 for a purse. They are incensed at $875. By your logic, isn't it her business? Some of them are whining that they won't spend THAT much on four kids' clothes for school, or they got upset one time when a wife bought a $60 purse. I have had a couple of bags I've spent that much or more on over the years, and it's definitely my business.

CueSi
07-09-2009, 01:46 PM
If only it were just liberals. I was browsing Free Republic, and they have a LONG thread going on whether or not Michelle Obama paid $6000 or $875 for a purse. They are incensed at $875. By your logic, isn't it her business? Some of them are whining that they won't spend THAT much on four kids' clothes for school, or they got upset one time when a wife bought a $60 purse. I have had a couple of bags I've spent that much or more on over the years, and it's definitely my business.

Her husband has implied that we are in for hard times and should tighten our belts...Lead by example FAIL.

If she were a private citizen or the POTUS said , "Spend, damn you all!" I don't think the Freepers would be saying much.

~QC

linda22003
07-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Her husband has implied that we are in for hard times and should tighten our belts...Lead by example FAIL.

If she were a private citizen or the POTUS said , "Spend, damn you all!" I don't think the Freepers would be saying much.

~QC

Sure they would, just because they hate her. It's personal. So, the outcome is the same. ;) I know we're in "hard times" but I am not experiencing them. Should I stop spending in some sort of weird solidarity with those who have lost their jobs?

CueSi
07-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Sure they would, just because they hate her. It's personal. So, the outcome is the same. ;) I know we're in "hard times" but I am not experiencing them. Should I stop spending in some sort of weird solidarity with those who have lost their jobs?

Do you know for sure that they hate her or do you think they dislike her husband more? Then again... I don't post at FR. Wait, is this place under new management?

I know that's why I'D be putting her on blast for dropping all that cash on frivolous shit. No hatred, just ... woman, we are in a recession~you are not Marie Antoinette.

Linda, you're not the POTUS or a public figure reminding us how tough times are. I don't give a shit what you do. If I had the money, I'd get that sweet-ass Coach purse. (Who am I kidding, no I wouldn't. I don't get that hysteria) But I don't. I DID, however, get a sweet ass belt for $1 @ Wet Seal and a kick ass dress from Banana Republic for $11.

~QC

linda22003
07-09-2009, 02:11 PM
I know that's why I'D be putting her on blast for dropping all that cash on frivolous shit. No hatred, just ... woman, we are in a recession~you are not Marie Antoinette.

I still think it's her business.

Coach bags used to be nice, about thirty or thirty five years ago. Now they're... well, I won't say it. They used to be good quality leather, and now they just have a big name emblazoned on a bag of indeterminate style.

I come by my taste in leather goods honestly, at least. My mother spent pretty much all the money she had on her - $400 - on a bag at Hermes in Paris, at the end of the war. $400 was a lot of money in 1945, but she carried that bag for the next 40 years. I inherited an Hermes Kelly bag from her which I will have for a long time to come.

Speedy
07-09-2009, 02:25 PM
I don't care how much she spends on clothes. I could give a shit, but don't frown on ME or anyone else spending that much or more on a purse! Don't bitch about how much others spend or "waste." That is what the Freepers are moaning about! The hypocrisy of it all. If the bitch is going to spend thousands on an outfit, fine. Just don't shriek about someone else doing it.

What I spend or how I spend is not dictated by how poor anyone else is or how badly they are doing. It is my money. I worked for it so I spend it however I want. I am not going to stop driving an Escalade just because every other asshole drives a Prius. Obama could travel around in a caravan of Priuses and it would influence me very little.

KCornett
07-09-2009, 02:26 PM

Well... She is the first lady of the POTUS that is out and about telling us how we should be "spreading the wealth around."

Like it was pointed out earlier, she should be setting the example.

I think the FReepers are calling her on that... I do not believe that they want to take her wealth away and "spread it around" as the liberals (as in her) do.

linda22003
07-09-2009, 02:30 PM
I don't care how much she spends on clothes. I could give a shit, but don't frown on ME or anyone else spending that much or more on a purse! Don't bitch about how much others spend or "waste." That is what the Freepers are moaning about! The hypocrisy of it all. If the bitch is going to spend thousands on an outfit, fine. Just don't shriek about someone else doing it.

I absolutely agree with YOU, but that's not what the thread is saying.

Speedy
07-09-2009, 02:35 PM

Comes down to like what they wanted to do to a guy I was in prison with. They wanted to charge him $2500 a month for his keep. He told them to go fuck themselves. If the Bureau of Prisons was so strapped of cash they needed him to pay for his own incarceration then why not fucking let him go? I agreed.

KCornett
07-09-2009, 02:37 PM

Actually the THREAD is about the liberals desire to take away wealth from those with it and give to those without it...

You jumped in with "well if it were only liberals" and brought up FR...

To which others were merely pointing out HER hyprocrisy

stsinner
07-09-2009, 02:39 PM

It sure is your business because you're not spending this country into poverty and causing the loss of tens of thousands of jobs and livelihoods.. You'd think the 1st camel would act even a little humble, instead of tramping around Russia with all her skin showing and looking like she has no class when representing the country she hates.

linda22003
07-09-2009, 02:44 PM
I can definitely agree that her fashion sense could use a little fine-tuning. Ironically, I saw pictures of her in Vogue last year which were gorgeous, and she has never looked so well since entering the White House. :rolleyes:

CueSi
07-09-2009, 02:46 PM
I still think it's her business.

Coach bags used to be nice, about thirty or thirty five years ago. Now they're... well, I won't say it. They used to be good quality leather, and now they just have a big name emblazoned on a bag of indeterminate style.

I come by my taste in leather goods honestly, at least. My mother spent pretty much all the money she had on her - $400 - on a bag at Hermes in Paris, at the end of the war. $400 was a lot of money in 1945, but she carried that bag for the next 40 years. I inherited an Hermes Kelly bag from her which I will have for a long time to come.

Not if the POTUS talking all this spread wealth around rhetoric. It's very Louis the 16th lite of them. Least she could do is fix the Kenneth Cole purse I inherited from my mom. :p

~QC

noonwitch
07-09-2009, 02:50 PM
I can definitely agree that her fashion sense could use a little fine-tuning. Ironically, I saw pictures of her in Vogue last year which were gorgeous, and she has never looked so well since entering the White House. :rolleyes:

I know what you mean. She had some great clothes during the campaign. It started going downhill with that toilet-paper ball gown.

KCornett
07-09-2009, 02:58 PM
I know what you mean. She had some great clothes during the campaign. It started going downhill with that toilet-paper ball gown.

HIJACK...

back to the topic of why it is ok for liberals to take from the rich?

stsinner
07-09-2009, 03:05 PM
What's funny is that the Liberals condemn the rich, but their campaigns are all funded by billionaires like Warren Buffett and George Soros..

linda22003
07-09-2009, 03:10 PM
HIJACK...

back to the topic of why it is ok for liberals to take from the rich?

It's not. It's class warfare, but they have to take from the rich because nobody else has any money. :cool:

AlmostThere
07-09-2009, 03:13 PM

If she were a private citizen, what would be the motivation to hate her, personally or otherwise? In her current position, she and her husband are in a position to inflict great harm on this nation and they seem hellbent on doing just that. Under the circumstances, I don't find their current hatred hard to understand at all.

BadCat
07-09-2009, 03:14 PM
You know the phrase "all men are created equal"?

Well, creation is where equality stops.

Conservative realize this, and work and strive to better themselves, provide for their families and be successful.

Liberals never realize this and go through life trying to drag the successful down from levels they themselves could never reach.

KCornett
07-09-2009, 03:16 PM
It's not. It's class warfare, but they have to take from the rich because nobody else has any money. :cool:

how about the poor making their own living, creating their own wealth?

linda22003
07-09-2009, 03:17 PM
That's a pretty good synopsis. :)

Gingersnap
07-09-2009, 03:18 PM
Because liberals believe that inequity causes poverty, ignorance, violence, and so on. They believe that if everybody had access to the same resources, there would be little or no discord.

In the real world, everybody knows that if you magically leveled the playing field on Monday and gave every human being $100, by Friday 5% of the population would control the wealth of the of the other 95%.

**reposted from the #2 spot on this thread now that the threadjacking is over**

linda22003
07-09-2009, 03:19 PM

A discussion of high-end leather goods is never out of place! :mad:

KCornett
07-09-2009, 03:45 PM

Why do liberals believe this, and so adamantly suscribe to this school of thought, I guess would be the more appropriate question?

Has not history taught them this time and time again?

This is what I can not get my head wrapped around

linda22003
07-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Remember Rocky and Bullwinkle?

"That trick never works."
"THIS time for SURE!"

lacarnut
07-09-2009, 04:02 PM

How did Michelle Obama wind up in this thread. Since you threw this dog into the arena, I will respond. I don't want anyone telling me what to buy, what kind of car to buy, what temperature to set my thermostat at, what kind of health care I am going to have, etc unless they are going to follow by example. As far as I am concerned neither one of these twits is going to influence my spending habits.

The liberal pricks on the left will give Democrats a pass on extravagant spending; on the other hand a conservative will get crucified. Michelle needs all the help she can get in the wardrobe department regardless of the cost. That Jungle Jim or Spotted Leopard dress she had on last week was the most god awful thing I have ever seen. If she did not hire an interior decorator for their house, I bet the decor looks like a wet dream. The woman has no taste.

Gingersnap
07-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Why do liberals believe this, and so adamantly suscribe to this school of thought, I guess would be the more appropriate question?

Because liberals buy the notion that human beings are perfectible if they get the right education. It's the same useless rehash of Rousseau over and over. They sincerely believe that buried under hardship, ignorance, and fear is a "natural man" who is egalitarian, charitable, and rational. It's just a matter of forcing people into the right kind of life that will allow this "natural man" to eventually emerge. The ideal method to do this hasn't yet been found but it must exist. This is so important that the ends always justify the means to achieve this goal. If this means yanking $10 bucks out of your hand to give to somebody else - so be it.

Conservatives, on the other hand, believe that people run the gamut from sinners to saints and that any perfectibility has to come from within, not without. We see equality under the law but we know that individuals are not equal: some are smart, some dumb, some ambitious, some lazy, some violent, etc.

enslaved1
07-09-2009, 07:54 PM

Liberals are idiots devoid of common sense and rational thought. Short, sweet and too the point. A longer version, they are ideologues who think their principles are right, regardless of the numerous failed attempts to implement them. History is simply a story to be rewritten to match whatever the libs want it to say. Since they don't accept such concepts as absolute truth, all history, numbers, and facts are malleable to match their needs.

noonwitch
07-10-2009, 09:29 AM
Because liberals buy the notion that human beings are perfectible if they get the right education. It's the same useless rehash of Rousseau over and over. They sincerely believe that buried under hardship, ignorance, and fear is a "natural man" who is egalitarian, charitable, and rational. It's just a matter of forcing people into the right kind of life that will allow this "natural man" to eventually emerge. The ideal method to do this hasn't yet been found but it must exist. This is so important that the ends always justify the means to achieve this goal. If this means yanking $10 bucks out of your hand to give to somebody else - so be it.

Conservatives, on the other hand, believe that people run the gamut from sinners to saints and that any perfectibility has to come from within, not without. We see equality under the law but we know that individuals are not equal: some are smart, some dumb, some ambitious, some lazy, some violent, etc.

This is why I'm a moderate. I agree with liberals that education is the best way to help people get out of poverty in the long run, and I recognize that not everybody has the same starting place in life. I had it good as a kid. I had parents who made decent money, and an excellent school system in my community.

That said, I don't support radical redistribution of wealth. There are too many people out there that use poverty as an excuse to not achieve. I know that we are not all going to be rich, and I'm happy with a basic middle-class standard of living. I don't resent the rich, unless they are trying to buy justice or are using their money and status to exploit others. I support finding a way for states to help poorer school districts keep up with those that have more money-not taking from the wealthier districts, though. The state recently took over the Detroit Schools (again), and at least, the appointed guys are cleaning house and getting rid of some of the corrupt people. I think Head Start is an important program for the poor. It's too bad so many school districts don't follow up that program with quality kindergartens and elementary schools.

I don't like it when people disdain the value of hard work. I've worked hard over the years, most people in my family have, too. My dad owned a business when I was growing up, and he worked very hard to get it off the ground. I used to drive a developmentally delayed guy to church (he has been kicked out for making threats to one of the secretaries-the only time I know of that someone was kicked out of the church), and he once told me "Work is a four letter word". I let him have it-he gets SSI, and I told him if it wasn't for other people's work, he wouldn't be getting any checks and he'd be living in some institution somewhere.