PDA

View Full Version : Church sign blasts Islam

megimoo
07-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Diverse group gathers to protest church sign

By Karen Voyles
Staff writer

Published: Thursday, July 9, 2009 at 5:44 p.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, July 9, 2009 at 5:44 p.m.

The crowd gathered outside a northwest Gainesville church on Thursday morning was a diverse lot -- a college student dressed as Jesus, a Roman Catholic mother, a non-practicing Jewish man, an agnostic and an atheist as well as a 72-year-old woman attending her first-ever protest.

http://i32.tinypic.com/2z6w8d2.jpg

Thursday, July 9, 2009.

The dozens of protesters who came and went from the sidewalk in front of the Dove World Outreach Center on Thursday had one thing in common. They each expressed -- in varying degrees -- their disapproval of a sign outside the church on Northwest 37th Street that proclaims "Islam is of the devil."

The pastor of Dove World Outreach Center, Terry Jones, and his followers have said the sign is their way of expressing love for followers of Islam by letting them know that Christianity is the way to heaven. The protesters did not see it that way.

"It creates hate," said Shahnaz Haghanifar, who described herself as someone who is proud to be a Muslim.

Gainseville (http://www.gainesville.com/article/20090709/ARTICLES/907099894/1109/SPORTS?Title=Diverse-group-gathers-to-protest-church-sign#)

Gingersnap
07-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Why can't they have this sign, if they want it? I wouldn't care if a mosque had a sign outside damning Christians to Hell. :confused:

megimoo
07-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Why can't they have this sign, if they want it? I wouldn't care if a mosque had a sign outside damning Christians to Hell. :confused:

Next we'd have signs on the lawns of Baptist churches calling the Catholics the Great Whore of Babalon.The Evangelicals COE would be called "the Frozen Chosen ".The Unitarians would be called the Christ Free Social Circle.And GOD knows what they would say of the Jews And Lutherens ?

linda22003
07-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Next we'd have signs on the lawns of Baptist churches calling the Catholics the Great Whore of Babalon.
That's probably how they'd spell it, too.

djones520
07-10-2009, 01:05 PM

You may not, but there'd be plenty of people here using it as fuel to condemn all muslims as war mongering terrorists.

Lanie
07-10-2009, 01:12 PM

They can both have the signs, and people can protest them both.

on edit: I see it as judgmental, which is considered to be a sin in the bible.

Gingersnap
07-10-2009, 01:28 PM
They can both have the signs, and people can protest them both.

on edit: I see it as judgmental, which is considered to be a sin in the bible.

Actually, speculating on someone's Final Destination is the judgment forbidden to Christians. Calling someone's religion inspired by the devil is just a pretty factual statement in biblical terms and perfectly okay theologically. :)

megimoo
07-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Actually, speculating on someone's Final Destination is the judgment forbidden to Christians. Calling someone's religion inspired by the devil is just a pretty factual statement in biblical terms and perfectly okay theologically. :)
The Muslims do it themselves all of the time.The truth of the matter is contained in the roots of Islam .Muhammad himself speculated that his angelic mentor may have had demonic roots !Demonic verses the name given to parts of the Koran advocates the worship of two lesser dieties, and daughters of Allah one on either side of Allah the Moon god !The crescent as a neo-pagan symbol of the Triple Goddess.

There is plentiful evidence that Islam sprang from the ancient Verdic Hindus worship on the Saudi Peninsular long before the desert Arabs were an identifiable people.The commonality of Islam and Judaism is the result of Mohammed's conversations with the Desert Jewish tribes that he traded with for camels.He didn't understand the early desert Christians beliefs in the holy Trinity condemning it as polytheism,the worship of three separate GODS !
He stole from all and made it up as he went along !

FlaGator
07-10-2009, 03:06 PM
"It creates hate," said Shahnaz Haghanifar, who described herself as someone who is proud to be a Muslim.

Actually the separation of people's heads from their bodies does more to create hate than that sign ever will.

PoliCon
07-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Freedom of speech is freedom of speech - not just freedom of speech we like or agree with.

Lanie
07-10-2009, 03:56 PM

Then why not say that all religions outside of Christianity are the devil? Makes one sound like Westboro Baptist, but okay.

They said what they said to suggest that most to all Muslims are terrorists.

Lanie
07-10-2009, 03:59 PM
The Muslims do it themselves all of the time.The truth of the matter is contained in the roots of Islam .Muhammad himself speculated that his angelic mentor may have had demonic roots !Demonic verses the name given to parts of the Koran advocates the worship of two lesser dieties, and daughters of Allah one on either side of Allah the Moon god !The crescent as a neo-pagan symbol of the Triple Goddess.

There is plentiful evidence that Islam sprang from the ancient Verdic Hindus worship on the Saudi Peninsular long before the desert Arabs were an identifiable people.The commonality of Islam and Judaism is the result of Mohammed's conversations with the Desert Jewish tribes that he traded with for camels.He didn't understand the early desert Christians beliefs in the holy Trinity condemning it as polytheism,the worship of three separate GODS !
He stole from all and made it up as he went along !

Where did you get these ideas that Islam is about worshipping lesser dieties? As for being anti-trinitarian, I sort of see their point (although I don't agree with it). Jews are also anti-trinitarian and some of them say we're being polytheistic. Even though I believe in the Trinity, I have trouble understanding it. Why did Jesus ask himself why he forsook him?

Lanie
07-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Actually the separation of people's heads from their bodies does more to create hate than that sign ever will.

Two wrongs does not make a right. I've read from Muslims who say this is not Islamic at all.

Freedom of speech is freedom of speech - not just freedom of speech we like or agree with.

Is there anybody saying that the government should step in and force the church to remove the sign?

noonwitch
07-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Two wrongs does not make a right. I've read from Muslims who say this is not Islamic at all.

Is there anybody saying that the government should step in and force the church to remove the sign?

I'm sure you could find some at DU.

It's inflammatory, to be sure. It's also protected by the first amendment.

lacarnut
07-10-2009, 04:25 PM
I don't want to see any trouble there. If the Muslims start any, they will get the short end of the stick. The rednecks will come out of the woodworks and kick their ass.

Gingersnap
07-10-2009, 04:52 PM
Then why not say that all religions outside of Christianity are the devil? Makes one sound like Westboro Baptist, but okay.

They said what they said to suggest that most to all Muslims are terrorists.

That was in fact a unifying point of sound doctrine among Christians for the better part of 2,000 years. You will not be able to use the bible to establish that the Lord thinks all religions are all pretty good - just the opposite.

But even if you want to take a doctrinally divergent view, that still doesn't mean that these people can't make this statement on private property. Why do you think their statement suggests that Muslims are terrorists?

When I saw the sign I assumed they were talking about Islam being a path that leads not to salvation but to destruction. That seems like reason enough to post the sign without throwing terrorists into the mix. :confused:

enslaved1
07-10-2009, 05:47 PM
When I saw the sign I assumed they were talking about Islam being a path that leads not to salvation but to destruction. That seems like reason enough to post the sign without throwing terrorists into the mix. :confused:

That's because you have more common sense in your pinky than the libs griping about this have combined. And multiplied.

A sign cannot create hate. A sign is a piece of wood with no intelligence, emotion or communication ability. The only hate comes from certain folks interpretation of the words on the sign. That is their choice of how to respond to the sign.

megimoo
07-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Where did you get these ideas that Islam is about worshipping lesser dieties? As for being anti-trinitarian, I sort of see their point (although I don't agree with it). Jews are also anti-trinitarian and some of them say we're being polytheistic. Even though I believe in the Trinity, I have trouble understanding it. Why did Jesus ask himself why he forsook him?

If I had the Patience of Job and the wisdom of Solomon I would never in a millennium attempt to explain to you what little I personally think that I understand of the Holy Trinity !Just what do you think that you understand about Islamic theology ?Their book the Koran is chock full of contradictions and one passage seems to contradict the other.

Mohammed usurped the entire connection of Islam to Abraham from The Jews.

The section on the the connection of Abraham to The Jewish deity has been usurped to his connection instead to Allah the desert moon god.The story of Abrahams sacrifice of his son Isaac as demanded by his GOD YEHAWA has been replaced with his Sacrifice Of Ishmael demanded by Allah !

Mohammad was an ignorant desert camel trader who became a bandit . He had a rudimentary ability to sit around campfires while trading in camels and tell and listen stories of the tribal beliefs and wisdom.He was from and lived in Mecca on the Saudi peninsular .At that time Mecca was a Verdic Hindu shrine to multiple ,three hundred sixty,Hindu dieties including Allah and Her daughters the Moon Goddesses.His father and uncle were Verdic priests at the shrine at Mecca.
Was Allah The Moon God of Ancient Arab Pagan?
Who is actually Allah?

According to Islamic Theologians (Mullahs, Maulana, Moulavis, etc.), or Islamic teachings-- Allah is the supreme God or creator who (suddenly one day?) talked or introduced Himself with Prophet Muhammad through an Angel named Gabriel, disclosing the truth that it is the Allah who created everything in the universe. Surprisingly, Qur�an never defines the word �Allah� as to who actually Allah was or what was the relation of Allah with pagans. I believe, 99% percent of Muslims do believe that�Allah�s name was invented or started right from the time when Gabriel disclosed the truth (?) to Prophet Muhammad in the cave of Hira Parvat (Mountain) and gave Muhammad the Quran. They believe that before this truth was revealed�pagan Arabs were in the total darkness (Andhakar Zuug) and they used to worship various puppet goddess and that the pagans were very evil people. I can bet on this fact that no mullahs ever told us the real truth, neither they believe this clean truth that �Allah� was in fact a pre-existing deity in pagan Arabia. What a hypocrisy?
http://www.faithfreedom.org/Articles/skm30804.htm

Bubba Dawg
07-10-2009, 08:51 PM
That's probably how they'd spell it, too.

:D nice....

Gingersnap
07-10-2009, 09:26 PM
A sign cannot create hate. A sign is a piece of wood with no intelligence, emotion or communication ability. The only hate comes from certain folks interpretation of the words on the sign. That is their choice of how to respond to the sign.

Exactly. Was I happy about Piss Christ, the "Da Vinci Code", "Saved" or any of the thousands of other cultural expressions of hostility to Christianity? No.

Did I think that all these efforts and their fans should be silenced to preserve my sense of dignity and fairness regarding my own religion? No.

Grow up. I'd rather hear or see a hard truth I don't agree with than endure a polite silence that seethes with rejection and contempt.

FlaGator
07-10-2009, 09:49 PM

I never said it did. I just pointed out that people tend to blame all of Islam for the act of the zealots. Kind of like some people will label all pro-lifers as murderers for the killing of an abortionist. The people who will hate Muslims will do so regardless of the sign.

To what end are those people protesting? I'm sure that they won't care if the sign is removed by either the church of the government. They want it gone.

PoliCon
07-10-2009, 09:50 PM
To what end are those people protesting? I'm sure that they won't care if the sign is removed by either the church of the government. They want it gone.They are demonstrating the vast tolerance that the left is famous for. :rolleyes: