PDA

View Full Version : I've had enough of people bashing others for their religious views!!

Carol
07-11-2009, 02:58 AM
We've seen this time and time again on DU. Tonight it was rather striking once again.

link (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6038973)

DUers once again express their hatred and intolerance for anything Christian, including respect.

V=UrbScotty (1000+ posts) Sat Jul-11-09 01:39 AM
Original message
I've had enough of people bashing others for their religious views!!
I've seen way too much of it on DU. And quite frankly, it's just as sick as the shove-it-down-your-throat extremism practiced by certain people on the 'right.'

To me, respect is a major part of being a liberal. And if you can't respect other religious beliefs besides your own, then I have to wonder how you can call yourself a liberal.

TexasObserver (1000+ posts) Sat Jul-11-09 01:41 AM
Response to Original message
1. Wrong forum.
And get serious. The hate comes mainly from religious types, not at them.

madfloridian (1000+ posts) Sat Jul-11-09 01:41 AM
2. Religious people should respect us enough not to force laws..
regulating people's lives in the name of their God.

Until then I will post about the union of government and religion....a terribly scary thing.

LostInAnomie (1000+ posts) Sat Jul-11-09 01:48 AM
5. Well, once religions start using rationality and reason to defend their positions...
Edited on Sat Jul-11-09 01:49 AM by LostInAnomie
... I'll actually think about respecting them.

Until then, I have no reason to pay any heed to what a bunch of irrational fools believe.

Subdivisions (1000+ posts) Sat Jul-11-09 01:54 AM
9. Religion kills. n/t

RandomThoughts (1000+ posts) Sat Jul-11-09 02:07 AM
21. If someones religious beliefs tell them to do something to society
That I think is wrong, I will respect their right to believe what they want, as I point out what they believe, and why I disagree with it.

People can believe any religion, but when they use it for a rational for actions that seem to be less then good, and those things are done in secret, then the religion becomes a motivating factor, or a common denominator of ideology of a group.

As an example, the fundamentals in Utah were religious. They taught children not to cry or feel, to be non passionate about anything. Heard that before? And their abuse of children makes their teachings a societal matter.

Anyone can believe what they want, but when they hit someone because of that belief, and use it as a rational, it becomes part of the conversation.

Although the stereotyping on religion here is a bit rampant.
And there's lots more of the "I'll respect you or your beliefs if I agree with them".
western mass (441 posts) Sat Jul-11-09 02:37 AM
25. if a religious view conflicts w/ liberal values...I WILL bash
A "Liberal" is defined by a set of values. One of them isn't "respect for hate groups."
Irreverend IX (1000+ posts) Sat Jul-11-09 02:41 AM
26. Beliefs in things that cannot be proven by empirical observation do not deserve respect. nt
2 or 3 people agree witht he OP, but the others simply talk over them with all of their hate talk.

Dan D. Doty
07-11-2009, 09:27 AM
Moonbats just don't seem to get it do they; if its wrong for others to hate others , its wrong for you too.

In other words its okay to be a bigot if you're liberal. :rolleyes:

InspiredHome
07-11-2009, 11:18 AM
humanism is a religion too. The only thing liberals bash is Christianity because as one said it "conflicts" with liberal values (an oxymoron if ever there was). I don't see them bashing Islam.

Rockntractor
07-11-2009, 11:21 AM
humanism is a religion too. The only thing liberals bash is Christianity because as one said it "conflicts" with liberal values (an oxymoron if ever there was). I don't see them bashing Islam.

Bashing Islam can get you a really short hair cut!

Lanie
07-11-2009, 11:47 AM
I think we should pray for them.

Rockntractor
07-11-2009, 11:55 AM
I think we should pray for them.

And then crush them into submission. Just sayin'

gator
07-12-2009, 10:15 AM
I love to bash other religions.

I love to point out that the Mormons have a SciFi base to heir little cult.

I love to point out the silliness of the Catholics and their little Pope and Mary worshipping.

I occasionally remark on how American Jews have more loyalty to Israel than to America.

Jehovah Witnesses are a riot.

I love to point out that Fundamental Christians have turned a Grace based religion into a deeds based religion by wanting everybody to be perfect.

Donít even get me started on those goddamn Muslims and that 76 Virgin thing.

I think that FlaGator and I are the only two true believers on CU but sometimes I have my doubts about FlaGator.

Rockntractor
07-12-2009, 10:21 AM

I love to point out the silliness of the Catholics and their little Pope and Mary worshipping.

I occasionally remark on how American Jews have more loyalty to Israel than to America.

I love to point out that Fundamental Christians have turned a Grace based religion into a deeds based religion by wanting everybody to be perfect.

Don’t even get me started on those goddamn Muslims and that 76 Virgin thing.

I think that FlaGator and I are the only two true believers on CU but sometimes I have my doubts about FlaGator.
Another brain fart from gator.
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/brain_fart.gif?t=1247408386

lacarnut
07-12-2009, 10:23 AM

Don’t even get me started on those goddamn Muslims and that 76 Virgin thing.

I have my doubts about you also. Your hatred of the Jews is not right. However, the fun part starts when we get to the Pearly Gates and St Peter gets to decide where we are going.

BadCat
07-12-2009, 11:08 AM
I have my doubts about you also. Your hatred of the Jews is not right. However, the fun part starts when we get to the Pearly Gates and St Peter gets to decide where we are going.

I thought that Pearly Gates was Billy Gibbons '59 Les Paul guitar.

gator
07-12-2009, 11:16 AM

Can you show me where I have ever said I have a hatred of Jews?

In fact I have said just the opposite. I said I respect the religion and consider myself a Spritual Jew.

You have mistaken my dislike of the country of Israel as being against Jews and that is because you are not smart enough to pay attention to what I say. Or else it is because you don't want to pay attention.

In the spriit of the original post I just wanted to let everybody know that I am the only true believer on CU. All you rest are posers.

You don't have to worry about what is going to happen outside the Pearly Gates because I am the only one that will make it that far.

Rockntractor
07-12-2009, 11:33 AM

In fact I have said just the opposite. I said I respect the religion and consider myself a Spritual Jew.

You have mistaken my dislike of the country of Israel as being against Jews and that is because you are not smart enough to pay attention to what I say. Or else it is because you don't want to pay attention.

In the spriit of the original post I just wanted to let everybody know that I am the only true believer on CU. All you rest are posers.

You don't have to worry about what is going to happen outside the Pearly Gates because I am the only one that will make it that far.

Good for you gator. You will be the only person in heaven!

lacarnut
07-12-2009, 11:33 AM

You have also said that it would not concern you if Israel (insert Filthy) was wiped off the face of the globe. Annihilation of all of the people living there would be a given if that occurred. That sure as shooting does not show any love for Jews living there.

Everyone will make it to the Pearly Gates; getting in will be another story. At least that is my understanding.

Rockntractor
07-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Gator have a nice day! I have my own private religeon to.

Zathras
07-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Good for you gator. You will be the only person in heaven!

No he won't. He'll get there and St. Peter will look at his record and say "You've got to be kidding.", then reach over and push the "down" button....let's just hope Herr Gator is wearing warm weather clothing when he passes...he'll need it.

Lanie
07-12-2009, 11:47 AM

Uh gator, what are you?

And we Catholics do not worship the Pope or Mary. The Pope is the main authority figure of the Catholic church just as the leaders of the Southern Baptist denominations are the main authority figures (and Mormons have similer beliefs as well). We look to the Pope as an authority figure, but most of us still consider that he doesn't have it right on everything.

As for Mary, it's like asking a friend to pray for you, only this friend is in Heaven.

Lanie
07-12-2009, 11:50 AM

This is one reason why Catholics believe in Pergutory. Most of us won't be as right as we should be before death. It's sort of a hangout place to better clean up at. Yes, Jesus cleanses Christians of their sins, but a lot of us still seem to be muddy at times. We're not perfect.

Of course, it would be funny if St. Peter hit some people upside their head before letting them in. lol.

on edit: Gator, what religion are you part of that it's the only real one? Gatorism?

Zathras
07-12-2009, 12:10 PM
on edit: Gator, what religion are you part of that it's the only real one? Gatorism?

I think it's called the Church of Delusionism and Gator is the head and only member.

gator
07-12-2009, 12:12 PM
This is one reason why Catholics believe in Pergutory. Most of us won't be as right as we should be before death. It's sort of a hangout place to better clean up at. Yes, Jesus cleanses Christians of their sins, but a lot of us still seem to be muddy at times. We're not perfect.

Of course, it would be funny if St. Peter hit some people upside their head before letting them in. lol.

Gatorism. I like the sound of that! The only true religon of Moral Clarity.

gator
07-12-2009, 12:16 PM
You have also said that it would not concern you if Israel (insert Filthy) was wiped off the face of the globe. Annihilation of all of the people living there would be a given if that occurred. That sure as shooting does not show any love for Jews living there.

Everyone will make it to the Pearly Gates; getting in will be another story. At least that is my understanding.

Israel is country you moron, not a religion.

I could give a rat's ass if the whole Middle East were to suffer a Wrath of God event. It would serve them right for causing so much trouble for my country over all these years.

Teetop
07-12-2009, 12:23 PM

And once again, gator cannot answer one simple question.

Lanie
07-12-2009, 12:27 PM

I could give a rat's ass if the whole Middle East were to suffer a Wrath of God event. It would serve them right for causing so much trouble for my country over all these years.

United States isn't exactly without sin. Jesus said that the first one without sin should be the first to throw a stone.

Isn't Israel supposed to still exist by the second coming? I totally DO NOT favor supporting Israel for religious reasons, but I thought I'd point that out since we're discussing religion.

linda22003
07-12-2009, 03:10 PM

Presumably the communion beverage would be GatorAde.

JB
07-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Presumably the communion beverage would be GatorAde.and services would be held in a disgusting, infested swamp in Florida.

I can't go there. Florida, that is.

InspiredHome
07-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Thanks gator for excluding me from the true believers. I've never said anything about you. Besides we can't make it to Heaven on our own merit. If that were the case no one would get there. It's by grace we are saved though we all deserve hell. That's why they call it amazing grace.

Signed,
a Calvinistic Presbyterian

gator
07-12-2009, 07:01 PM
Thanks gator for excluding me from the true believers. I've never said anything about you. Besides we can't make it to Heaven on our own merit. If that were the case no one would get there. It's by grace we are saved though we all deserve hell. That's why they call it amazing grace.

Signed,

Who the hell are you? I have been on CU since Day One and I didn't even know you existed.

Whoever you are at least you have it right about Grace, which is more than I can say about most people that post on CU. Christianity is not a deeds based religion although many Christian sects try their damnest to make it so.

InspiredHome
07-12-2009, 07:08 PM
Grouchy aren't we? I've been around. Posting mainly in this forum.

Bubba Dawg
07-12-2009, 07:11 PM
I thought that Pearly Gates was Billy Gibbons '59 Les Paul guitar.

Winnah.....!!!

Rockntractor
07-12-2009, 07:29 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/2114_animado.gif?t=1247441332

Bubba Dawg
07-12-2009, 07:34 PM
Presumably the communion beverage would be GatorAde.

Damn, you're good.....

Space Gravy
07-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Damn, you'e good.....

Indeed.

Bubba Dawg
07-12-2009, 07:40 PM

What does that leave?

Interesting. I'd say you are not of the Reformed tradition. I'd also speculate that you are a preterist in your view of eschatology.

Close?

Teetop
07-12-2009, 10:33 PM
Who the hell are you? I have been on CU since Day One and I didn't even know you existed.

Whoever you are at least you have it right about Grace, which is more than I can say about most people that post on CU. Christianity is not a deeds based religion although many Christian sects try their damnest to make it so.

Moral Clarity again, gator? :rolleyes:

Definition
By Mayo Clinic staff

Narcissistic personality disorder is a mental disorder in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance and a deep need for admiration. They believe that they're superior to others and have little regard for other people's feelings. But behind this mask of ultra-confidence lies a fragile self-esteem, vulnerable to the slightest criticism.
(http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/narcissistic-personality-disorder/DS00652)

:cool:

gator
07-12-2009, 11:03 PM
What does that leave?

Interesting. I'd say you are not of the Reformed tradition. I'd also speculate that you are a preterist in your view of eschatology.

Close?

I am very mainstream.

I am almost in the exact middle between kissing the Pope's ass and speaking in tongues

PoliCon
07-12-2009, 11:38 PM

What a fine example you are of the leftist take on religion.:rolleyes:

PoliCon
07-12-2009, 11:39 PM
Uh gator, what are you?

And we Catholics do not worship the Pope or Mary. The Pope is the main authority figure of the Catholic church just as the leaders of the Southern Baptist denominations are the main authority figures (and Mormons have similer beliefs as well). We look to the Pope as an authority figure, but most of us still consider that he doesn't have it right on everything.

As for Mary, it's like asking a friend to pray for you, only this friend is in Heaven.

He's trolling and baiting you hun. Don't fall for it.

PoliCon
07-12-2009, 11:42 PM
I am very mainstream.

I am almost in the exact middle between kissing the Pope's ass and speaking in tongues

except that's not a spectrum at all. There are Charismatics in the catholic church and there are fundies who deny the baptism of the holy spirit. :rolleyes:

lacarnut
07-12-2009, 11:55 PM

Did I say Israel is a religion, you moron?

Your stupidity about the Wrath of God regarding Israel shows that you hate the Jews living there.

Elspeth
07-13-2009, 12:01 AM
What does that leave?

Close?

On a complete side note, how do you pronouce "eschatology" and what is it?

PoliCon
07-13-2009, 12:07 AM
On a complete side note, how do you pronouce "eschatology" and what is it?

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=eschatology&gwp=13

es∑cha∑tol∑o∑gy (ĕs'kə-tŏl'ə-jē)

n.

1. The branch of theology that is concerned with the end of the world or of humankind.
2. A belief or a doctrine concerning the ultimate or final things, such as death, the destiny of humanity, the Second Coming, or the Last Judgment.

Lanie
07-13-2009, 12:07 AM
He's trolling and baiting you hun. Don't fall for it.

That was a good reaction. You should have seen me three years ago ranting and a raving. The key is not to let his words upset you.

PoliCon
07-13-2009, 12:11 AM
That was a good reaction. You should have seen me three years ago ranting and a raving. The key is not to let his words upset you.

Well if you're ever interested in a good theological discussion - let me know. :)

Lanie
07-13-2009, 01:14 AM

Signed,

Agreed. :)

Lanie
07-13-2009, 01:14 AM
Well if you're ever interested in a good theological discussion - let me know. :)

What type?

FlaGator
07-13-2009, 06:20 AM

I have my doubts about me too sometimes...:)

gator
07-13-2009, 08:26 AM

The two keys to The Kingdom are Faith and accepting the Grace. To me Faith is the easy one. The hard thing is truly understanding the powerful message of Grace and the responsibilities that it bestows on you. Through reading your Another Pilgrim’s Blog I see that you also wrestle with that all the time.

linda22003
07-13-2009, 08:39 AM

It's 72. 72 virgins. You're probably thinking of trombones.

gator
07-13-2009, 08:48 AM

Really really good Muslims get 76. You must be thinking of the run of the mill Muslims.

noonwitch
07-13-2009, 09:00 AM

What is it the Mother Superior says to Sister Berta in The Sound Of Music? "I always try to have faith in my doubts."

FlaGator
07-13-2009, 11:18 AM
The two keys to The Kingdom are Faith and accepting the Grace. To me Faith is the easy one. The hard thing is truly understanding the powerful message of Grace and the responsibilities that it bestows on you. Through reading your Another Pilgrimís Blog I see that you also wrestle with that all the time.

I suspect that the struggles we face is the Spirit's perferred method of our sanctificaiton. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. It also goes a long way to keeping us grounded and humble.

FlaGator
07-13-2009, 11:20 AM

Virgins, trombones what's the difference? We have personal encounters with one about as often as the other.

FlaGator
07-13-2009, 11:21 AM
What is it the Mother Superior says to Sister Berta in The Sound Of Music? "I always try to have faith in my doubts."

It's one of those ironies of faith. In our weakness we are given strength.

PoliCon
07-13-2009, 12:37 PM
What type?

any. :)

PoliCon
07-13-2009, 12:39 PM

I thought it was "how do you solve a problem like Maria . . . ." ;) BTW - Met her once upon a time interesting Lady Ms. Maria Von Trapp.

Lanie
07-13-2009, 04:43 PM
any. :)

I'm ready when you are. I'm not sure how well I'll do, but I'm ready. :)

Bubba Dawg
07-13-2009, 07:04 PM
I am very mainstream.

Okay, I'm thinking Presbyterian or Episcopalian.

You just don't seem like a Methodist...:p:D

Rockntractor
07-13-2009, 07:09 PM

calvanistic baptist

PoliCon
07-13-2009, 07:12 PM
I'm ready when you are. I'm not sure how well I'll do, but I'm ready. :)

Start a thread :) I'm up for discussing just about anything you like - I'll warn you - rome agrees with me on many issues though . . . ;)

Bubba Dawg
07-13-2009, 07:14 PM
calvanistic baptist

Interesting. So preterism may not have been far off.

PoliCon
07-13-2009, 07:18 PM

Prolly Presby. They tend to have the same kind of superiority complexes that gator has . . . .

noonwitch
07-14-2009, 09:17 AM
I thought it was "how do you solve a problem like Maria . . . ." ;) BTW - Met her once upon a time interesting Lady Ms. Maria Von Trapp.

I read one of her autobiographies. She was a pretty cool person. She was a little peeved at Rogers and Hammerstein for making her husband look like such an ogre in the movie/musical. She said he was a sweet and kind man, not the mean character in the movie.

Maria and her family did a lot of missionary work over the years.

PoliCon
07-14-2009, 01:27 PM
I read one of her autobiographies. She was a pretty cool person. She was a little peeved at Rogers and Hammerstein for making her husband look like such an ogre in the movie/musical. She said he was a sweet and kind man, not the mean character in the movie.

Maria and her family did a lot of missionary work over the years.

They were both pretty damn hard - and I mean HARD - people. The family still runs a resort in Vt . . . .