PDA

View Full Version : Scariest video ever. A U.S. mayor paying people to rat out their neighbor's guns

megimoo
07-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Scariest video ever. A U.S. mayor paying people to rat out their neighbor's guns. Just- wow
Turn in your Neighbor for $1000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRyw1JnAstg&feature=channel_page

This is a video of the Mayor of Newark new jersey asking residents to turn in their neighbors who have "illegal" guns. $1000 for each "tip." This is scary stuff. At first I didn't think it was real. This is like watching an episode of the Twilight Zone.

stsinner
07-11-2009, 09:43 AM
Why should people be allowed to carry illegal guns? I don't get why you're upset.. The people this will appeal to is broke people, maybe people that have gang banging friends that brag about their guns, etc.. If someone is a legal gun owner, they are properly licensed and instructed not to flash their gun or even make it known that they're carrying.

Here in MA if you have a license to carry, you can be arrested if someone even sees your gun and calls the police and says that your gun, "Incited fear." Retarded, I know.. A smart carrier keeps it quiet that he's armed.

The stupid part about this program is, as is with all government programs, that it's a money-pit.. Of course the person with the illegal gun will just buy another gun-meanwhile the city has given out another thousand bucks to a loser..

NJCardFan
07-11-2009, 01:02 PM
You have to understand something about Newark. It's a gang haven. The mayor says that it's a small amount of people but it's a large amount. Gangs are like rats there. They're everywhere. Bloods and Crips mostly. These shitbags prey on the weak. I deal with a lot of them in prison. The reason why the Mayor is resorting to this is because of the no snitching mentality in these neighborhoods. Cash is the only language that is understood and if it works, so be it. Funny thing though. The last mayor of Newark was the one collecting money now the current mayor is paying it out.

PoliCon
07-11-2009, 01:18 PM
I have no problem with ratting out people who are packing illegal guns. Sorry.

JB
07-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Paging feebmaster. Feebmaster to this thread please.

SarasotaRepub
07-11-2009, 03:06 PM

Oh God....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

:D

SarasotaRepub
07-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Actually, it's too bad Billy Mays died because if there was ever a commercial
he'd be good for it's this one!!! :eek::D

Speedy
07-11-2009, 05:20 PM
There should be no such thing as an illegal gun. All guns should be legal to carry by ANY adult.

Molon Labe
07-11-2009, 05:42 PM
I have no problem with ratting out people who are packing illegal guns. Sorry.

How do you know it's illegal pal? How do you know some busy body won't just see someone with a gun and turn them in for a quick grand. What do they care. You're smarter than that. This is some real crap and you should be able to recognize the bigger impact than just gettin illegal guns off the street, which ain't ever gonna happen BTW.
If they can do this then can you imagine what they can say if and when the time comes to ignore whether it's legal.

Thanks for posting Meg...I saw this this morning on a gun site and this mayor is part of the problem. It pissed me off so bad that I purchased ANOTHER gun today.

stsinner
07-11-2009, 06:09 PM
There should be no such thing as an illegal gun. All guns should be legal to carry by ANY adult.

I disagree.. Felons and people who have shown a propensity for irresponsible behavior or who are known to get drunk every night, or who have been convicted of spousal abuse, etc. should not be allowed to possess firearms.. Gang members should not be allowed to carry as much as a potato peeler... There definitely should be a standard when issuing firearms licenses.

But what do i know-I think there should be a test before you're allowed to bring a baby into this world and also a basic knowledge test required before you vote-skin color isn't a good enough reason and can have disastrous repercussions for the country. Ooops! Too late.

Rockntractor
07-11-2009, 06:54 PM
I disagree.. Felons and people who have shown a propensity for irresponsible behavior or who are known to get drunk every night, or who have been convicted of spousal abuse, etc. should not be allowed to possess firearms.. Gang members should not be allowed to carry as much as a potato peeler... There definitely should be a standard when issuing firearms licenses.

But what do i know-I think there should be a test before you're allowed to bring a baby into this world and also a basic knowledge test required before you vote-skin color isn't a good enough reason and can have disastrous repercussions for the country. Ooops! Too late.
This is where I become a libertarian. The government has no right as to who has children. If you are a danger to society you should either be eliminated or incarcerated. If you have paid a debt to society in full which should be the only way you are released from prison (no parole) your full civil rights should be reinstated. There should be no two classes of citizens. In practice it doesn’t work.

Speedy
07-11-2009, 06:57 PM

Either something is a right or it isn't. If the Government chooses who can carry or feels it can license or register, then it stops being a right and becomes a priviledge. Priviledges are cool except that the the entity bestowing those priviledges can take them back at any time. A right is not a right if it can be taken away.

I do not think that there is anything illegal about owning or carrying a firearm. No matter if you are high, beat your wife, are a gangbanger or a convicted felon. But I think and whole heartedly believe that any actions committed with a firearm should bear severe consequences.

If a convited felon is out with a friend who has never been in trouble with the law and both are carrying. Who committs a crime? The friend when he pulls out a gun and shoots a few car windows or the felon who does not touch his gun all night?

I think that everyone should have the choice to carry but there should be a zero tolerance effort on any illegal "action" committed with a gun.

Rockntractor
07-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Either something is a right or it isn't. If the Government chooses who can carry or feels it can license or register, then it stops being a right and becomes a priviledge. Priviledges are cool except that the the entity bestowing those priviledges can take them back at any time. A right is not a right if it can be taken away.

I do not think that there is anything illegal about owning or carrying a firearm. No matter if you are high, beat your wife, are a gangbanger or a convicted felon. But I think and whole heartedly believe that any actions committed with a firearm should bear severe consequences.

If a convited felon is out with a friend who has never been in trouble with the law and both are carrying. Who committs a crime? The friend when he pulls out a gun and shoots a few car windows or the felon who does not touch his gun all night?

I think that everyone should have the choice to carry but there should be a zero tolerance effort on any illegal "action" committed with a gun.
I might add that murder and also attempted murder should be met with the death penalty. If you disgharge a fire arm with the intent to hit someone while you are engaged in a robbery you should be eliminated!

stsinner
07-11-2009, 08:15 PM

Well, I'll concede that if our laws weren't severely oppressive and actually made sense I'd agree with your position.. If we eliminated all government intervention with regard to firearms so that every citizen could be armed if they so desired, and if they allowed people to aim center mass and dispense justice when someone enters your house without allowing the criminal to prosecute you if he survives-if they would execute every singer who committed willful homicide, then that would be a just society. In the Peoples' Republic of Massachusetts, it costs $100 just to apply for a firearm identification card required to own even pepper spray.. If they see something in your background they don't like, like you've been arrested for domestic A&B, or you have past felony convictions, you don't get the card, and you don't get your money back.. So most people in MA aren't armed, and the crooks know this.. As for a License to Carry Concealed, it says right on the cover sheet of the application that no concealed carry permits will be issued except in the case of employment that requires it.

But we don't live in a just society. We live in a sick society where here in MA, my first responsibility as a homeowner if an intruder breaks into my house is to take flight unless my life is in immediate danger. I'm supposed to leave my house if I can instead of shooting the intruder dead, which is what should be done to rid society of that filth. If I shoot someone who breaks into my house, even though I have three sleeping babies and a wife, and the piece of crap survives, he will likely sue me and WIN in court because I violated his basic civil rights..
We have prisoners suing the state and federal governments over cable TV channels and the amount and quality of food they're given in prison AND WINNING... Our society is sick, and our laws favor the twisted, so as long as it is the way it is and since we're not going to change any of that any time soon, if ever, I don't think felons should carry guns.. A felony is a serious crime-it's not like you stole a candy bar.. I don't believe criminals can be rehabilitated-I think it's programmed into you by your upbringing and environment.. This is why we track pedophiles with websites and require them to register with the police when they move into town..

Speedy
07-11-2009, 10:47 PM
I don't think felons should carry guns.. A felony is a serious crime-it's not like you stole a candy bar.. I don't believe criminals can be rehabilitated-I think it's programmed into you by your upbringing and environment.. This is why we track pedophiles with websites and require them to register with the police when they move into town..

Let me tell you. I am a convicted felon. I recently had my rights fully restored. I fired off about 1000 rounds to commemorate it. I have a real problem with laws against guns which are laws which cover actions with no criminal intent. No guns in a post office, sort of thing. You carry a gun into a post office, it should be no problem. Pull a gun to rob one, you should get 25 years with no parole.

If everyone carried a firearm, we would be a much politer society.

stsinner
07-11-2009, 10:56 PM
If everyone carried a firearm, we would be a much politer society.

With this I agree..

PoliCon
07-11-2009, 11:08 PM
There should be no such thing as an illegal gun. All guns should be legal to carry by ANY adult. I disagree. Certain people by their actions have forfeit some of their "rights" such as violent felons.

PoliCon
07-11-2009, 11:10 PM
How do you know it's illegal pal? How do you know some busy body won't just see someone with a gun and turn them in for a quick grand. What do they care. You're smarter than that. This is some real crap and you should be able to recognize the bigger impact than just gettin illegal guns off the street, which ain't ever gonna happen BTW.
If they can do this then can you imagine what they can say if and when the time comes to ignore whether it's legal.

Thanks for posting Meg...I saw this this morning on a gun site and this mayor is part of the problem. It pissed me off so bad that I purchased ANOTHER gun today.

did you listen to the vid? It's about illegal guns. If they're legal - then the person who ratted them out gets nothing.

You do have a point though that this really won't work very well for getting illegal guns off the streets.

PoliCon
07-11-2009, 11:12 PM
This is where I become a libertarian. The government has no right as to who has children. If you are a danger to society you should either be eliminated or incarcerated. If you have paid a debt to society in full which should be the only way you are released from prison (no parole) your full civil rights should be reinstated. There should be no two classes of citizens. In practice it doesn’t work.

I agree on the kids part. But when it comes to "full" civil rights - I gotta say no. I'd go so far as to revoke citizenship for certain classes of violent felons and white color criminals. Let them have resident alien status rather than citizenship.

Rockntractor
07-11-2009, 11:19 PM
I disagree. Certain people by their actions have forfeit some of their "rights" such as violent felons.

The punishments are not severe enough. You should pay your debt in full no parole. And then get your rights as a citizen back after you pay your debt. It is a non issue for me in the case of violent crimes committed with guns. Attempted murder and murder should be punishable by death once intent has been established.

PoliCon
07-11-2009, 11:35 PM
The punishments are not severe enough. You should pay your debt in full no parole. And then get your rights as a citizen back after you pay your debt. It is a non issue for me in the case of violent crimes committed with guns. Attempted murder and murder should be punishable by death once intent has been established.

A murderer only pays their debt when they themselves have died. Same for rapists, child molesters, and people like that asshole who scammed people out of billions . . . what ever the hell his name is . . . . So your right - the punishments are not severe enough but since they are not . . .

Rockntractor
07-11-2009, 11:41 PM
A murderer only pays their debt when they themselves have died. Same for rapists, child molesters, and people like that asshole who scammed people out of billions . . . what ever the hell his name is . . . . So your right - the punishments are not severe enough but since they are not . . .

If I was dictator backhoe sales would double my first year!

PoliCon
07-11-2009, 11:43 PM
If I was dictator backhoe sales would double my first year!

Dictator? I just wanna see the rule of law restored. Get the law back, enforce it in full and watch how quickly the prisons empty out. People think twice about crime when they know their own death could be a result.

Rockntractor
07-12-2009, 12:02 AM
Dictator? I just wanna see the rule of law restored. Get the law back, enforce it in full and watch how quickly the prisons empty out. People think twice about crime when they know their own death could be a result.

With the current quality of our voters and politicians it would take a dictator to straighten things back out!

PoliCon
07-12-2009, 12:15 AM
With the current quality of our voters and politicians it would take a dictator to straighten things back out!

I've no interest in taking any more steps down the parallel line with rome.

Rockntractor
07-12-2009, 12:23 AM
I've no interest in taking any more steps down the parallel line with rome.

With our current president you are headed down that road whether you like it or not.

PoliCon
07-12-2009, 12:35 AM
With our current president you are headed down that road whether you like it or not.

Doesn't mean we rush headlong towards a fall

AlmostThere
07-12-2009, 04:57 AM

The vid says the person is arrested and the gun is taken off the street and then you get the money. If it's not illegal, nobody is getting paid.

CorwinK
07-12-2009, 08:08 PM
This program isn't a bad idea as long as its enforced properly. Theres a great potential for this to be abused like the fugitive slave act was prior to the war for southern independence.

http://www.nationalcenter.org/FugitiveSlaveAct.html

emphasis on section 8

Now, I have to agree with Rockntractor. If your debt to society, as lawfully determined by a competent judge, is paid in full then you should have your rights fully restored. A couple of my best friends from home are convicted felons and I trust them around my family more than some of the folks ive grown up with who haven't done anything wrong.

quite frankly i'm more of an 'eye for an eye' type person when it comes to crime. You murder someone, your life is forfeit. If you attempt to murder someone, your life as a free person is forfeit.

As for the rest, we need to start punishing according to the crime. People shouldn't spend more than 2 days in jail...and thats simply because they are being held to either sober up, (stumbling home from the bar rather than driving shouldn't be punished IMO) or they are being held before trial. We shouldn't be looking at jail as the end all be all of crime punishments next to death.

If you break into someones house, you should have to first repair the damage...whether you do it yourself or you pay for someone to come do it and you stand there with them all day while it happens...and then repay what you steal.
If you physically abuse your spouse or child...then that persons father/brother/grandfather, whoever should be allowed to come beat the hell out of you.
Drug usage that gets no one else hurt (IE, your being high didn't cause you to wreck and kill someone) you should be put on bread and water until you detox (which is gonna suck...especially if your a serious addict) and then sent to a rehab center where you don't leave until a professional screens you out...none of this leaving when you feel like it crap.

Shame also works...especially for younger children whose only option seems to be going to juvie. A 13 year old kid steals a candy bar...he should have to stand out front of that store for 2 to 4 hours a day after school for a few months (god forbid he gets caught during summer vacation) wearing a body sign stating "I'm a thief! I now have a record over a silly snickers bar. I'm a thief!" No contact with his/her buddies...nothing to snack on...a bottle of water (more if its hot) and be placed under house arrest when not out front of the store, forcing his/her parents to be somewhat involved seeing as the kid can't leave.

Molon Labe
07-14-2009, 02:41 PM
The vid says the person is arrested and the gun is taken off the street and then you get the money. If it's not illegal, nobody is getting paid.

It's a bad idea IMO. I'm talking long term consequences. Today's "good intentions" are always tomorrows big mistake.

What's keeping someone from loading up on cheap crappy guns and then putting them in a dumpster. Then I just call it in and collect my quick couple thou. Then I can just purchase the better stuff.

PoliCon
07-14-2009, 05:48 PM
It's a bad idea IMO. I'm talking long term consequences. Today's "good intentions" are always tomorrows big mistake.

What's keeping someone from loading up on cheap crappy guns and then putting them in a dumpster. Then I just call it in and collect my quick couple thou. Then I can just purchase the better stuff.

You have a devious mind . . . . of course the fingerprints and the serial numbers will make that hard to do . . . .

FeebMaster
07-17-2009, 08:39 AM

Sorry I'm late.

Anyone who thinks this is okay is gun grabbing scum.

In fact, anyone who thinks the words "illegal" and "gun" belong together, ever, is gun grabbing scum.

Molon Labe
07-17-2009, 09:41 AM
Sorry I'm late.

In fact, anyone who thinks the words "illegal" and "gun" belong together, ever, is gun grabbing scum.

:)

Here's the only permit I need. LINK (http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/01/91301-004-68C32FE3.jpg)

Jfor
07-17-2009, 09:50 AM
The problem with this whole thing is this, Satanica is my neighbor. He know I own firearms legally. He calls the hotline and next thing you know SWAT is at my house taking my guns. The burden of proof is then on me to prove they are my guns and that they are legally owned. How much money is that going to cost? How much is it going to cost me when my face and name is plastered all over the airways? THAT is the problem. Slippery slope folks, slippery slope.

CorwinK
07-17-2009, 10:23 AM
The problem with this whole thing is this, Satanica is my neighbor. He know I own firearms legally. He calls the hotline and next thing you know SWAT is at my house taking my guns. The burden of proof is then on me to prove they are my guns and that they are legally owned. How much money is that going to cost? How much is it going to cost me when my face and name is plastered all over the airways? THAT is the problem. Slippery slope folks, slippery slope.

prove they are your guns?? what ever happened to innocent until proven guilty??

Jfor
07-17-2009, 10:27 AM
prove they are your guns?? what ever happened to innocent until proven guilty??

That is the conundrum.

stsinner
07-17-2009, 10:30 AM
Sorry I'm late.

I disagree... A convicted felon with a gun being legal is retarded logic... Some people just shouldn't be allowed to carry guns.. Gang members, also..

stsinner
07-17-2009, 10:31 AM

One word-receipt.. Costs you nothing.

Here in MA we have to register our guns, so if a neighbor calls, they just check the database and the neighbor can be arrested for abusing 911.

Jfor
07-17-2009, 10:38 AM
One word-receipt.. Costs you nothing.

Here in MA we have to register our guns, so if a neighbor calls, they just check the database and the neighbor can be arrested for abusing 911.

That's all well and good. I don't buy new firearms. I buy them used and FTF so there is absolutely zero record that the feds can't know how many firearms I own.

I think registering firearms is something that is none of the governments business. It is also not required to register them in Alabama so that concept is foreign to me.

FeebMaster
07-17-2009, 10:45 AM
I disagree... A convicted felon with a gun being legal is retarded logic... Some people just shouldn't be allowed to carry guns.. Gang members, also..

Criminals don't obey the law. You're only hassling people dumb enough to obey the law with your hopeless attempts to keep guns out of the wrong hands.

stsinner
07-17-2009, 12:21 PM
Criminals don't obey the law. You're only hassling people dumb enough to obey the law with your hopeless attempts to keep guns out of the wrong hands.

I agree-but I'm all for snitching on a gang banger that has a gun or a known felon. I know that gun laws only affect the law-abiding, but I do think we need to keep guns out of the hands of felons or gang members.

FeebMaster
07-17-2009, 12:45 PM
I agree-but I'm all for snitching on a gang banger that has a gun or a known felon. I know that gun laws only affect the law-abiding, but I do think we need to keep guns out of the hands of felons or gang members.

You can't keep guns out of their hands and by making the argument that the government should you help to make the SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED! position the joke that it is.