PDA

View Full Version : Obama Selects Alabama Doctor as Surgeon General

hazlnut
07-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Updated 12:34 p.m.
By Michael D. Shear
President Obama has chosen Regina Benjamin, a family physician from Alabama, to be the next Surgeon General, filling a key public health post ahead of an expected surge in the H1N1 flu next fall.

Benjamin gained fame through her public efforts to rebuild her rural health clinic after Hurricane Katrina devastated it. She founded the Bayou La Batre Rural Health Clinic in 1990 and rebuilt it after the hurricane.

Benjamin has also served as the first black woman to head the State of Alabama Medical Association and was associate dean for rural health at the University of South Alabama's College of Medicine.

Obama announced her his intent to nominate her at a Rose Garden event this morning in which he also spoke of the challenges and need for health care reform. "I understand people are a little nervous and a little scared about making change. You know, the muscles in this town to bring about big changes are a little atrophied, but we're whipping folks back into shape. We are going to get this done," the president said.

"And if there's anyone who understands the urgency of meeting this challenge in a personal and powerful way, it is the woman who will become our nation's next surgeon general, Dr. Regina Benjamin."

Obama Selects Alabama Doctor as Surgeon General (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2009/07/13/obama_selects_alabama_doctor_a.html?hpid=topnews)

Of course CNN is comparing her to Dr. Sanjay Gupta, which is interesting because I thought there was always more to the story about why he withdrew his name from consideration. The Surgeon General is more of spokesperson-type position on public health issues. I think the person needs to be not only an accomplished physician but also a good public speaker.

lacarnut
07-13-2009, 01:21 PM
You mean another accomplished idiot like Joyceln Elders.

linda22003
07-13-2009, 01:26 PM
Of course CNN is comparing her to Dr. Sanjay Gupta, which is interesting because I thought there was always more to the story about why he withdrew his name from consideration.

I just assume it's because he didn't want that large a pay cut.

Japandroid
07-13-2009, 02:08 PM
/attack mode

Rockntractor
07-13-2009, 02:18 PM
/attack mode
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/cute-kitten-laughing.jpg?t=1247509028

Nubs
07-13-2009, 02:28 PM
This position is about as worthless as a highschool guidance counselor. Like we need an Surgeon General to wax eloquent about the virtues of jerking off.

stsinner
07-13-2009, 03:20 PM
Well, as i opened the link, one thing wasn't a surprise. I immediately noticed her qualification.

BadCat
07-13-2009, 03:22 PM
Well, as i opened the link, one thing wasn't a surprise. I immediately noticed her qualification.

Oh, you mean BLACK WOMAN?

I noticed that too.

hazlnut
07-13-2009, 04:22 PM

Oops, there it is.

As least you're predictable Stsinner.

stsinner
07-13-2009, 04:48 PM
\

Yeah, and so is Obama... I can be predicted to point out his affirmative action appointments every time.

BadCat
07-13-2009, 05:10 PM
Oops, there it is.

Not as predictable as you are.

hazlnut
07-13-2009, 05:17 PM
Yeah, and so is Obama... I can be predicted to point out his affirmative action appointments every time.

I have no doubt that you see any person of color who has attained a level of professional success and accolades as an example of affirmative action.

lacarnut
07-13-2009, 06:00 PM
I have no doubt that you see any person of color who has attained a level of professional success and accolades as an example of affirmative action.

Having worked in Government for 27 years, I have seen this happens in a number of cases. However, white women have benefited more from affirmative action than blacks have. Of course, if you knew what you were talking about, you would not show such ignorance.

stsinner
07-13-2009, 08:02 PM

This isn't true, there, fruity.. I don't see Condoleeza Rice as an affirmative action hire-I think she's brilliant.

What I do see is Obama not only considering their minority status in his decision to nominate them, but seeing it as a requirement of the position.. Take Sonya Sotomayor, for example-she recently made one of the most racist judgments, and he still nominated her. She's been overturned by the SC at over a 60% rate-that means that her decisions don't pass muster over 60% of the time.. Yet she's still going through the process.. Let a white woman have the same record, and the Dems would be eating her alive like piranha.

Now we have Dr. Regina Benjamin nominated for Surgeon General of the United States... Hello... She runs a temporary clinic!! I would expect someone from John Hopkins University, St. Judes or Brigham and Womens' Hospital, or something-not someone who works at a clinic. But she does have that one trump card...

SPYDER
07-13-2009, 08:14 PM
I wonder why they have not changed the title to "SURGEON GENERAL CZAR??:D

hazlnut
07-13-2009, 09:32 PM
Now we have Dr. Regina Benjamin nominated for Surgeon General of the United States... Hello... She runs a temporary clinic!! I would expect someone from John Hopkins University, St. Judes or Brigham and Womens' Hospital, or something-not someone who works at a clinic. But she does have that one trump card...

You mean MBA from Tulane University on top of her medical degree from Morehouse?

Or were you referring to the the papal cross awarded to her by Pope Benedict XVI?

Wait, wait... I know, it's the Nelson Mandela Award for Health and Human Rights that she got back in 1998.

Or the $500,000 “genius awards,” awarded last September by the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation.

Which Trump card was it again?

PoliCon
07-13-2009, 09:42 PM
Wait a sec - what exactly are her qualifications for the office and how do they compare to previous office holders?

Rockntractor
07-13-2009, 09:48 PM
I don't care if he puts in a Jamaican witchdoctor. It is the Czars that have me concerned!
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t136/jopaboy2/snake_through_the_nose.jpg

lacarnut
07-14-2009, 02:50 AM
I don't care if he puts in a Jamaican witchdoctor. It is the Czars that have me concerned!
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t136/jopaboy2/snake_through_the_nose.jpg

We have one less now that the car czar resigned after just a short time on the job. Just as well cause he did not know squat about cars or management. He is still going to law school. He might have seen all the money floating around and decided I can make a killing in the private sector.