PDA

View Full Version : Emergency contacts

PoliCon
07-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Perhaps there needs to be some sort of emergency contact info for someone on staff for when we start getting flooded with spam . . . .

bijou
07-13-2009, 03:54 PM
That still relies on people being online, PM's tend to be a quicker way to alert someone than alerts. I've posted a note in the Mod Forum so the rest of it should be gone soon.

PoliCon
07-13-2009, 04:07 PM
That still relies on people being online, PM's tend to be a quicker way to alert someone than alerts. I've posted a note in the Mod Forum so the rest of it should be gone soon.

actually - I was thinking of some off site way of communicating . . . .

Gingersnap
07-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Ralph set up a Yahoo Group account for us. We may need a refresher for that.

PoliCon
07-13-2009, 09:15 PM
Ralph set up a Yahoo Group account for us. We may need a refresher for that.

Something - the spam earlier . . . . dirtying up the site . . . . :mad:

Gingersnap
07-13-2009, 09:18 PM
Something - the spam earlier . . . . dirtying up the site . . . . :mad:

Well, it's not nice and I'm sorry I wasn't here to deal with it where I have powers.

linda22003
07-14-2009, 08:03 AM
On the bright side, it wasn't nearly as bad as the sudden influx of Ron PaulBots last year.

Sonnabend
07-14-2009, 09:02 AM

Not a chance in hell. My IM and other contact systems are for people I want to talk to.

PoliCon
07-14-2009, 01:14 PM
Not a chance in hell. My IM and other contact systems are for people I want to talk to.

:p no one was even thinking of you.

ralph wiggum
07-14-2009, 01:34 PM

The alerts go to our e-mail addresses, and the spam usually gets cleaned up pretty quickly.

As Bijou mentioned, it usually works more efficiently to send an on-line moderator a PM.

PoliCon
07-14-2009, 01:37 PM
The alerts go to our e-mail addresses, and the spam usually gets cleaned up pretty quickly.

As Bijou mentioned, it usually works more efficiently to send an on-line moderator a PM.

which would require us to know who is online - and for there to be one online!

bijou
07-14-2009, 02:24 PM
which would require us to know who is online - and for there to be one online!

The panel on the front page shows who is online at any particular time. It's at the bottom of the page.

What's Going On?
Currently Active Users: 115 (28 members and 87 guests)

Most users ever online was 717, 09-04-2008 at 06:38 PM.
bijou, 3rd-try, aerojarod, alaskamomma, Elspeth, gator, hoplophobe, jawilljr, Lager, Lars1701a, linda22003, marv, noonwitch, PeterF73, PoliCon, Rebel Yell, Rockntractor, satanica, stsinner, TandT, Teetop, tomg303, wilbur, YupItsMe

Gingersnap
07-14-2009, 02:39 PM
The panel on the front page shows who is online at any particular time. It's at the bottom of the page.

That's the place to look. Some Mods are invisible but I never am. However, as Ralph said, it's usually better to PM Mods (including me) if there is a problem.

PoliCon
07-14-2009, 05:47 PM
just because someone shows as online does not mean that they are in fact - on line.

Gingersnap
07-14-2009, 05:55 PM
just because someone shows as online does not mean that they are in fact - on line.

I guess not but what's your point? Mods aren't going to agree to some kind of monitoring schedule. Generally, when people are on but not actively reading the board they will check it every hour or so. That's about the best anybody can hope for.

PoliCon
07-14-2009, 05:58 PM
hey - if the owners and the staff don't care - what can a lowly member do.

Gingersnap
07-14-2009, 10:43 PM
hey - if the owners and the staff don't care - what can a lowly member do.

It's not a matter of "not caring". A PM usually gets pretty quick and individual attention. You (I mean the collective "you") may not always agree that a situation doesn't require intervention. If you are the so-called aggressor, you (I mean the collective "you") may feel that what intervention we do is unwarranted and stupidly intrusive.

It's a fine line. That we manage to attract centrists, paleo-conservatives, lefties, and the Great Unaffiliated means that our level of oversight is generally acceptable. ;)

Sonnabend
07-15-2009, 04:22 AM
:p no one was even thinking of you.

You<===============

point <=======

PoliCon
07-15-2009, 02:26 PM
It's not a matter of "not caring". A PM usually gets pretty quick and individual attention. You (I mean the collective "you") may not always agree that a situation doesn't require intervention. If you are the so-called aggressor, you (I mean the collective "you") may feel that what intervention we do is unwarranted and stupidly intrusive.

It's a fine line. That we manage to attract centrists, paleo-conservatives, lefties, and the Great Unaffiliated means that our level of oversight is generally acceptable. ;)

I'n not talking about the people and various forms of subhuman life that come here and post for the sake of discussion. I'm talking about when someone shows up at the door and they go off posting spam - or God forbid - PRON!!1!!

Gingersnap
07-15-2009, 02:38 PM
I'n not talking about the people and various forms of subhuman life that come here and post for the sake of discussion. I'm talking about when someone shows up at the door and they go off posting spam - or God forbid - PRON!!1!!

Well, we do the best we can. ;)