PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Military Robot Could Feed on Dead Bodies

bijou
07-14-2009, 11:49 AM
It could be a combination of 19th-century mechanics, 21st-century technology — and a 20th-century horror movie.

A Maryland company under contract to the Pentagon is working on a steam-powered robot that would fuel itself by gobbling up whatever organic material it can find — grass, wood, old furniture, even dead bodies.

Robotic Technology Inc.'s Energetically Autonomous Tactical Robot — that's right, "EATR" — "can find, ingest, and extract energy from biomass in the environment (and other organically-based energy sources), as well as use conventional and alternative fuels (such as gasoline, heavy fuel, kerosene, diesel, propane, coal, cooking oil, and solar) when suitable," reads the company's Web site.

That "biomass" and "other organically-based energy sources" wouldn't necessarily be limited to plant material — animal and human corpses contain plenty of energy, and they'd be plentiful in a war zone. ...

link (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,532492,00.html)

Mmmm...Soylent Green

stsinner
07-14-2009, 12:39 PM
That would be neat! And we could equip it with an auto-reloader station that could extract the lead bullets from the dead bodies as it's devouring them, put them through a small smeltering operation and reload spent brass that was dumped in a hopper on top, and it could poop out magazines of 5.56 or 7.62 ammo that our soldiers could recover and keep on fighting..

Rockntractor
07-14-2009, 12:55 PM

Mmmm...Soylent Green

Tastes like chicks!

deja vous all over again!

satanica
07-14-2009, 01:00 PM

Mmmm...Soylent Green

I don't think American families will like their fallen soldier to be devoured by a robot while he lies in the war zone.

But thats just me.

Rockntractor
07-14-2009, 01:02 PM
I don't think American families will like their fallen soldier to be devoured by a robot while he lies in the war zone.

But thats just me.
(Stops to reposition gerbil.)

noonwitch
07-14-2009, 01:21 PM
Eww. They should try to make it look as much like a vulture as mechanically possible.

PoliCon
07-14-2009, 01:25 PM
that's morbid . . . .

Molon Labe
07-15-2009, 10:25 AM
This thingy may come in handy when the Zombies attack

Rockntractor
07-15-2009, 11:09 AM
That would be neat! And we could equip it with an auto-reloader station that could extract the lead bullets from the dead bodies as it's devouring them, put them through a small smeltering operation and reload spent brass that was dumped in a hopper on top, and it could poop out magazines of 5.56 or 7.62 ammo that our soldiers could recover and keep on fighting..

The green way to fight a war!

megimoo
07-15-2009, 11:39 AM
(Stops to reposition gerbil.)We could turn a squad lose in the Chicago slums and autodigest the brain dead dummys as they ride by on their little tricycles !

Rockntractor
07-15-2009, 11:44 AM
We could turn a squad lose in the Chicago slums and autodigest the brain dead dummys as they ride by on their little tricycles !

Perfect and it would be eco-friendly to!

noonwitch
07-15-2009, 01:59 PM
We could turn a squad lose in the Chicago slums and autodigest the brain dead dummys as they ride by on their little tricycles !

Am I totally misinterpreting your statement, or are you advocating the deaths of children in Chicago who ride tricycles? Or are you referring to adults?

stsinner
07-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Am I totally misinterpreting your statement, or are you advocating the deaths of children in Chicago who ride tricycles? Or are you referring to adults?

I believe that was a dig at Satanica.

noonwitch
07-15-2009, 02:03 PM
I believe that was a dig at Satanica.

Well, that's a whole different matter.

PoliCon
07-15-2009, 02:23 PM
why can't we set the damn thing loose in DC. Most of the people there are dead one way or another . . . Morally DEAD. Ethically DEAD. Brain DEAD. . . .

expat-pattaya
07-15-2009, 04:53 PM
why can't we set the damn thing loose in DC. Most of the people there are dead one way or another . . . Morally DEAD. Ethically DEAD. Brain DEAD. . . .

You looking for approval of that idea?

OK - go for it :D

megimoo
07-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Get a grip lady .You have the instincts of a bleeding heart liberal .We have an idiot here that rides his little Bicycle/trike around Chicago.I was referring to it ,do try to keep up .

bijou
07-19-2009, 10:10 AM
I never imagined I’d print a press release in full. Then, an hour ago, Howard Lovy e-mailed me the most incredible press release of all time…

POMPANO BEACH, Fla.– In response to rumors circulating the internet on sites such as FoxNews.com, FastCompany.com and CNET News about a “flesh eating” robot project, Cyclone Power Technologies Inc. (Pink Sheets:CYPW) and Robotic Technology Inc. (RTI) would like to set the record straight: This robot is strictly vegetarian.

“We completely understand the public’s concern about futuristic robots feeding on the human population, but that is not our mission,” stated Harry Schoell, Cyclone’s CEO. “We are focused on demonstrating that our engines can create usable, green power from plentiful, renewable plant matter. The commercial applications alone for this earth-friendly energy solution are enormous.” (emphasis in the original)

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2009/07/company-denies-its-robots-feed-on-the-dead/

Rockntractor
07-19-2009, 10:18 AM
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2009/07/company-denies-its-robots-feed-on-the-dead/
Vegitarians are such self righteous snobs though. They will probably just kill us for sport!

megimoo
07-19-2009, 10:37 AM
Flesh-eating War-bots? Company Says no (Oh noes!)

The Pentagon has shown it has a great appetite for drones and robots -- everything from missile-firing UAVs to prototype patrol-bots guarding air base perimeters. But a Maryland company working on a program for the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, DARPA, has the idea of giving the robots their own appetites, letting them feed on biomass as a means of fueling themselves. But as the image of flesh-eating drones refueling off the battlefield dead has spread in recent days, Cyclone Power Technologies of Florida, the company developing the robot's engine, has issued a statement about the Energetically Autonomous Tactical Robot's...

http://www.military.com/news/article/flesheating-war-bots-company-says-no.html?col=1186032310810