PDA

View Full Version : Senate passes thought crime bill. >:(

PoliCon
07-17-2009, 02:02 PM
Senate passes hate-crimes bill

July 17, 2009

WASHINGTON (JTA) -- The Senate approved legislation that would expand federal involvement in investigating hate crimes.

By a 63-28 vote Thursday, the measure was attached to the defense authorization bill, considered "must-pass" legislation by the Senate. Five Republicans joined every Democrat present to vote in favor.

The Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes Prevention Act would permit greater federal involvement in investigating hate crimes and expand the federal definition of such crimes to include those motivated by gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and disability. Supporters say the legislation would allow federal authorities to pursue hate-crimes cases when local authorities are either unable or unwilling to do so.

The House passed a similar bill in April, and President Obama has said he would sign the legislation. The bill has passed both houses of Congress previously, but has not survived the conference committee process.

A number of Jewish groups, headed by the Anti-Defamation League, have been working for a decade to enact the measure.

FROM (http://jta.org/news/article/2009/07/17/1006603/senate-passes-hate-crimes-bill)

AlmostThere
07-17-2009, 02:57 PM
Our freedoms are slipping away right in front of our eyes while we watch as though we were disinterested 3rd parties.

wilbur
07-17-2009, 03:03 PM
Though I don't endorse the law, I don't see it being any worse than any other hate crime law on the books.

Molon Labe
07-17-2009, 03:26 PM
Though I don't endorse the law, I don't see it being any worse than any other hate crime law on the books.

You're much too intelligent to believe this way. It has to be apathy.

One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation - Thomas Brackett Reed

satanica
07-18-2009, 09:46 AM
Perfect.

I want to see you guys fight against hate crime laws.

This should help the GOP hee hee

Lars1701a
07-18-2009, 09:48 AM
Perfect.

I want to see you guys fight against hate crime laws.

This should help the GOP hee hee

Is your wife/GF as much as a magic negro supporter as you are?

satanica
07-18-2009, 09:50 AM
of course, what a stupid question

Lars1701a
07-18-2009, 09:52 AM
of course, what a stupid question

Look up the meaning of the word rhetorical.

wilbur
07-18-2009, 10:14 AM
You're much too intelligent to believe this way. It has to be apathy.

No, I just don't see that it puts us to any greater risk than we already were before. It doesn't significantly alter the way we deal with hate crimes, so far as I have been able to figure out.

Its certainly not a "thought crime" bill, as it has so dishonestly been portrayed.... at least in no more different a manner than other hate crime laws.

Lars1701a
07-18-2009, 10:18 AM
No, I just don't see that it puts us to any greater risk than we already were before. It doesn't significantly alter the way we deal with hate crimes, so far as I have been able to figure out.

Its certainly not a "thought crime" bill, as it has so dishonestly been portrayed.... at least in no more different a manner than other hate crime laws.

You dont think this can be a slippery slope type of situation?

wilbur
07-18-2009, 11:03 AM
You dont think this can be a slippery slope type of situation?

Well, I guess I see it more as a lateral move on some slope, not a step down.

Lager
07-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Supporters say the legislation would allow federal authorities to pursue hate-crimes cases when local authorities are either unable or unwilling to do so.

That part is a little bit scarey.

Here's a question:

If I'm an asshole, and I get drunk and assault somebody, why should the punishment be any worse, or lenient depending on the favored status of the victim. Isn't that why justice wears a blindfold?

NJCardFan
07-18-2009, 12:11 PM
Not only is hate crime legislation thought crime legislation, it's a one sided thought crime legislation. On July 4th this year in Akron, OH, a family of 5 was attacked by 50 blacks (http://www.ohio.com/news/50172282.html) for no good reason while exclaiming that it was a "black world" and it wasn't being investigated as a hate crime. But I guess you brainless libs are OK with that.

PoliCon
07-18-2009, 01:08 PM
Its certainly not a "thought crime" bill, as it has so dishonestly been portrayed.... How is a hate crime not a thought crime? These laws are not designed to punish actions - they are designed to punish thoughts or just as bad - speech.