PDA

View Full Version : House Democrat: US Lawmakers Should Also Pay Health Surtax

Teetop
07-18-2009, 11:27 PM
I like this guy... (http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/stock-market-news-story.aspx?storyid=200907171613dowjonesdjonline000 741&title=house-democratus-lawmakers-should-also-pay-health-surtax)

WASHINGTON -(Dow Jones)- House Democratic leaders want to tax the rich to pay for universal health care, but one House Democrat is seeking to have members of Congress chip in out of their own pockets.

Rep. Artur Davis, D-Ala., said he will propose that a 1% surtax be applied to the salaries of members of Congress, regardless of how much they earn. Davis said that would help lawmakers share in the tax that the House bill - which this week cleared two of three House Committees - would impose on families and businesses earning more than $350,000 annually.

The surtax would place an additional 1% on annual incomes between $350,000 and $500,000, for married couples filing jointly, starting in 2011. Families with incomes between $500,000 and $1 million would see an additional 1.5% tax, while those with incomes of more than $1 million would face a surtax of 5.4%.....

Besides asking Congress to share in the surtax, Davis said he is also proposing that lawmakers who are now enrolled in the federal health-insurance plan be required to enroll in the new public health-insurance option that the Democratic bill would create.

Davis said the intent of the new public plan is to provide quality care at affordable rates, and "the best way for members of Congress to guarantee that is if their own families are affected," he said.

:D

PoliCon
07-18-2009, 11:32 PM
he's undercutting himself - I say 10% not 1.

patriot45
07-19-2009, 12:27 AM
he's undercutting himself - I say 10% not 1.

Don't worry, this is just flash in the pan! They would never subject themselves to what they propose for us.

PoliCon
07-19-2009, 12:43 AM
Don't worry, this is just flash in the pan! They would never subject themselves to what they propose for us.

doesn't mean we don't call our reps and tell them we support this - put a little fear of reelection into them :)

Jfor
07-20-2009, 10:24 AM
doesn't mean we don't call our reps and tell them we support this - put a little fear of reelection into them :)

Artur Davis is not running for reelection. He is running for Governor of Alabama. He will NOT get my vote. He has made a couple of decent votes for conservative issues, but by and large, he tends to side with the party line.