PDA

View Full Version : Australian soldier killed in Afghanistan

Sonnabend
07-19-2009, 04:44 AM
An Australian soldier has been killed in Afghanistan by an explosive device. The incident took place during an operation "against a compound of interest" in the Baluchi Valley, Chief of Defence Force Air Chief Marshal Angus Houston told a press conference in Canberra on Sunday morning.

A second Australian digger was seriously wounded in the explosion, along with three Afghan civilians, including an eight year-old boy, defence says. Defence could not release personal details of the dead soldier at this stage, but the family had been contacted, he said.

The soldier was on his first deployment to Afghanistan but had previously served in East Timor. The soldier killed was 22 years old and had been in the army for just over three years, Air Chief Marshal Houston said. He was a member of the Force Protection Combat Team and was on foot near a compound when the explosion occurred.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/australian-soldier-killed-in-afghanistan-20090719-dp7c.html

Bubba Dawg
07-19-2009, 09:22 AM
Very sad loss, especially to the family. Please accept my condolences.

My thanks to all the Australians who are taking part in this war.

SPYDER
07-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Sorry to hear of this loss. I have several friends North of Sydney in the town of Kempsey. Been there 2 times. Great country!!!

Teetop
07-20-2009, 04:59 PM
My thoughts and prayers go out to all in this brave soldier's family.