PDA

View Full Version : Whimsical Wednesday

Gingersnap
07-09-2008, 09:52 AM
Today will be repeat of yesterday in terms of weather. I am feeling moody and distracted for no apparent reason and this annoys me.

TOTD: You have the financing and skills to open any kind of restaurant anywhere in the continental United States. You can work in any position in the restaurant from hands-off owner to fry cook.

What kind of a restaurant is it? Where is it located? What do you do there?

linda22003
07-09-2008, 09:56 AM
It's in the old part of some charming city, in a beautifully restored old townhouse. It seats about forty people, and serves one set menu each night, with one seating time. I own it, and I'm in the kitchen sometimes, but mostly I'm involved in the business end of the house.

movie buff
07-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Maybe a cook at a small seafood restaurant on a pier.

Gingersnap
07-09-2008, 10:12 AM
Maybe a cook at a small seafood restaurant on a pier.

Where? Florida? Maine?

asdf2231
07-09-2008, 10:26 AM
TOTD

I would open a Tapas Restaurant that had a variety of ethnic small dishes (Spanish, Mexican, Oriental and select European offerings) with a nice attached bar/lounge and a small cigar bar. Casual dining atmosphere with live music.

I would locate it in the business park in Middleton WI which is just outside the People's Republic Of Madison. The area is expanding like a mother right now. Ruth's Chris just put a location in out there.

I would probably be most comfortable as General Manager, provided the kitchen was managed by someone competent.

LibraryLady
07-09-2008, 10:32 AM
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/dtharman/london_ramenseto.jpg

Customer?

lacarnut
07-09-2008, 10:38 AM
I would own and manage a 100 million dollar luxury condo with a revolving restaruant at the top in Destin Florida and hire world famous Paul Prudhomme as Head Chef

Shannon
07-09-2008, 10:40 AM
TOTD: I have no idea.

Aren't y'all glad you have me around to contribute to the board like this?:p

biccat
07-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Hot. Probably going to rain soon.

TOTD: I would own a restaurant in the midwest somewhere, located near a great beef farm. Menu would be steaks & chops and filling food with a classy presentation. Vegetarians would be shown the door. Any food may be deep fried on request. I would be the chef in the back, flipping steaks and making new menus.

I probably couldn't handle the stress tho.

Cold Warrior
07-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Dull, hazy, and muggy here in the Insurance Capital. Gonna work until 3:00 and then head off to the pub, as one of the cutie bartenders is on today. Which, of course, brings me to the ...

TOTD: A Cigar Bar, featuring live piano, a full complement of single malts, a selection of wines from around the world, and pistachios out of the shell (TOTH to Michael J Fox :D). I'd only hire very attractive women as waitresses (fully, but tastefully sexily clothed) and the bartenders would wear white shirts, black ties, and black suspenders. As to foods, I, like asdf, would serve only small plates of items like Spanish tapas, French pate, pear/stilton/walnut salads, shirimp egg rolls, etc.

The decor should be muted, primarily tones of dark green, burgundy, and grey, with the lighting dimmed as well. Couches and comfortable chairs, along with a dark oak bar with lots of glass behind. I would probably model the decor on that of the Green Bar in the Chesterfield Hotel, London, with a bit less of the Brit look...

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee88/scdiver27/ChesterfieldBar3.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee88/scdiver27/ChesterfieldBar2.jpg

The best location would be in an expensive tourist area, rather than a big city. The US might be a problem, not because of the cigars (you can generally get an exemption for cigar bars), but because of the waitress appearance requirements. Perhaps on the Croisette in Cannes, perhaps Portofino.

My job? In charge of meet and greet as well as quality control. For the latter, I would need to sample all the wares to make sure they were up to the requisite quality. :D

Zafod
07-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Dull, hazy, and muggy here in the Insurance Capital. Gonna work until 3:00 and then head off to the pub, as one of the cutie bartenders is on today. Which, of course, brings me to the ...

TOTD: A Cigar Bar, featuring live piano, a full complement of single malts, a selection of wines from around the world, and pistachios out of the shell (TOTH to Michael J Fox :D). I'd only hire very attractive women as waitresses (fully, but tastefully sexily clothed) and the bartenders would wear white shirts, black ties, and black suspenders. As to foods, I, like asdf, would serve only small plates of items like Spanish tapas, French pate, pear/stilton/walnut salads, shirimp egg rolls, etc.

The decor should be muted, primarily tones of dark green, burgundy, and grey, with the lighting dimmed as well. Couches and comfortable chairs, along with a dark oak bar with lots of glass behind. I would probably model the decor on that of the Green Bar in the Chesterfield Hotel, London, with a bit less of the Brit look...

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee88/scdiver27/ChesterfieldBar3.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee88/scdiver27/ChesterfieldBar2.jpg

The best location would be in an expensive tourist area, rather than a big city. The US might be a problem, not because of the cigars (you can generally get an exemption for cigar bars), but because of the waitress appearance requirements. Perhaps on the Croisette in Cannes, perhaps Portofino.

My job? In charge of meet and greet as well as quality control. For the latter, I would need to sample all the wares to make sure they were up to the requisite quality. :D

That place looks awsome.
Do they have a compliment of fine pipe tobacco?

biccat
07-09-2008, 01:47 PM
...unless your waitresses will be wearing sleeveless tops or anything shorter than full-length skirts or pants.

ConJinx
07-09-2008, 01:55 PM
TOTD: large floating bar and grill anchored in Islamorada. Serving nothing but premium draft beers from all over the world. Gourmet sandwiches and fried bar food. Every evening we'd set sail to int'l waters to chill with kick ass live rock bands. I'd own it so no one could tell me what I can and can't do in my place. If hurricanes came near the keys I'd charge a little extra, sail through clear seas and throw the ultimate hurricane party. Clothing optional after 7 miles.

Goldwater
07-09-2008, 02:10 PM
CW, I want to be your partner. :D

DarkScribe
07-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Today will be repeat of yesterday in terms of weather. I am feeling moody and distracted for no apparent reason and this annoys me.

TOTD: You have the financing and skills to open any kind of restaurant anywhere in the continental United States. You can work in any position in the restaurant from hands-off owner to fry cook.

What kind of a restaurant is it? Where is it located? What do you do there?

Great topic, Ginger! I love to cook and I like to think I am fairly good at it. Lately, one of my favorite shows to watch is Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives on the Food Network. Pretty cool show. I would love to open a little Florida-Keys style joint somewhere on the Gulf Coast (well, ideally IN the Keys but I'd need a helluva lot more dough than I normally would just to afford to live there and run a business). Sandwiches and burgers, seafood-y type stuff and also some entrees, too. (In fact, if anyone has eaten at Doc Fords on Sanibel/Captiva, this is what I referring to) A bar, of course. My boss at work is a fellow writer and Keys person and loves Hemingway. I told him we should open up a Hemingway-type place with one corner of the place filled with Hemingway novels, Florida-influenced books by Hiaasen, Dorsey, et all, and the rest of the place could be the bar and grille. Oh yeah...OF COURSE because Edward Lee lives in Florida now we'd just HAVE to have all his books, too. I just love how little "mom and pop" type or family owned places like those featured on Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives flourish locally and develop a very loyal, large following by its patrons.

Cold Warrior
07-09-2008, 06:41 PM
That place looks awsome.
Do they have a compliment of fine pipe tobacco?

The bar at the Chesterfield is probably my favorite bar in the world (and I've been in more than one). Sitting on those very stools was where I had my last drink with probably the most beautiful and most ruthless woman I've known in my life (and I've known more than one).

In many ways, it's exactly the bar I would own, excepting it's not a cigar bar. There is a bar close by (on the other (north) side of Oxford Street) that is a cigar bar with many of the characteristics I've described (albeit no pipe tobacco :D). However, whenever I'm in London I always head to the Chesterfield (hope springs eternal, as they say).

DarkScribe
07-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Oh....and I'd be owner and part-time cook. Shannon would occasionally bartend. Tristan would be in the back washing dishes. :p

Shannon
07-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Oh....and I'd be owner and part-time cook. Shannon would occasionally bartend. Tristan would be in the back washing dishes. :p

Ummm, yeah, no. I'd be hanging out at CW's place.:p

Zafod
07-09-2008, 07:08 PM
The bar at the Chesterfield is probably my favorite bar in the world (and I've been in more than one). Sitting on those very stools was where I had my last drink with probably the most beautiful and most ruthless woman I've known in my life (and I've known more than one).

In many ways, it's exactly the bar I would own, excepting it's not a cigar bar. There is a bar close by (on the other (north) side of Oxford Street) that is a cigar bar with many of the characteristics I've described (albeit no pipe tobacco :D). However, whenever I'm in London I always head to the Chesterfield (hope springs eternal, as they say).

Dont get me wrong, I love a good cigar but I smoke them rarely, I do love a good pipe ever evening after dinner.

Cold Warrior
07-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Dont get me wrong, I love a good cigar but I smoke them rarely, I do love a good pipe ever evening after dinner.

I smoke probably 3-4 cigars a month, always with a scotch. I've tried a pipe, but never been able to adapt to what is to me the harshness of the inhale. But, there's always time in life to develop new habits. :D

Zafod
07-09-2008, 07:22 PM
I smoke probably 3-4 cigars a month, always with a scotch. I've tried a pipe, but never been able to adapt to what is to me the harshness of the inhale. But, there's always time in life to develop new habits. :D

You shouldnt be inhaling the smoke from a pipe or cigar.

Bubba Dawg
07-09-2008, 07:57 PM
I'd be the mostly hands on owner of a Bar-B-Que restaurant. I'd want to run it on a slow-paced less developed island like Edisto. Beach, yet with winter when it should be winter.

I'd price it so locals can eat there. Burgers and Bar-B-Que. Ribs and chicken. Family friendly and draft beer.

I'd be there most days. My family was in the restaurant business foryears. I know what kind of time it takes to make it good.

Goldwater
07-09-2008, 08:39 PM
Bubba, can I be the "Norm from Cheers" of your bar? :D

Gingersnap
07-09-2008, 09:16 PM
I'd own a truck stop restaurant and local bar. Excellent, classic Diner food would be on the menu and I'd be famous for my chicken-fried steak. I'd just schmooze the customers and pour coffee. I'd also give away free bibles. :)

Shannon
07-09-2008, 09:27 PM
I'd own a truck stop restaurant and local bar. Excellent, classic Diner food would be on the menu and I'd be famous for my chicken-fried steak. I'd just schmooze the customers and pour coffee. I'd also give away free bibles. :)

Chicken fried steak? Do you know how to make the appropriate gravy? Because I'm there if you do.

Gingersnap
07-09-2008, 09:37 PM
Chicken fried steak? Do you know how to make the appropriate gravy? Because I'm there if you do.

Milk and sausage gravy and the steak must be crispy. :)

Shannon
07-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Milk and sausage gravy and the steak must be crispy. :)

Excellent. I wasn't sure that your people knew how to cook right.:p

Gingersnap
07-09-2008, 11:39 PM
Excellent. I wasn't sure that your people knew how to cook right.:p

My "people". My people invented cast iron cooking or if we didn't, we certainly stole it from whoever did and punished them for being presumptuous.